Elance Employee Reviews

Definitely Not Steady Employment
Entrepreneur (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 27, 2014
I've been working through Elance for nearly a year now, and although some jobs pay out very well, some do not. Plus it's a game of 'hope'. Because of the fact that it's a bidding war, so to speak, you never know if you're going to get hired for a job or not. It could be a couple of weeks before somebody 'picks' you, or you could have so many bids out at once, and then get 'picked' by several people at a time, which leads to overload on your part. That is my reason for a low score on Job Security. Another reason for that is because you never know when you're going to get paid. If you need money for the weekend - you have to get hired, you have to do the work, get paid AND initiate a withdrawal by Wednesday at the latest. Otherwise, it could be a week before Elance decides to release the money to you. Yes, you heard that right. Even though on their website, it says that "Transaction processing generally take 1-2 days" (that's a direct copy/paste from their website), what they ACTUALLY mean is that it takes 1-2 BUSINESS days. So if you do the work, your client pays you and you initiate a withdrawal on Thursday or Friday, chances are that you won't get paid until Monday or Tuesday. As far as their management, I gave a low score for that because the first couple of times that I called, I was told that they did not have supervisors. That is not the case. They indeed do, but they're not willing to speak with anyone. I'm also constantly being told that when it comes to payment release, there's nobody in that department who can help you because they don't have 'outside lines'. No joke  more... - that's what I was told. Also, they use a credit system. You're given so many 'connects' to be a free member (10 I think), but I am a paid member, so not only do I pay Elance every month (on time, by the way), if I want to bid on more jobs (if my connects run out), I have to pay for more. To me, it's worth it because I have developed good relationships with some clients, so they come back for repeat work, which doesn't cost any connects. See, if the client invites you, it doesn't cost anything. But if you're out there bidding on jobs, it costs you 1 or 2 connects, based on the type of job. So overall, if you're looking to earn some extra money, and if your payments can be totally sporadic, this is a great way to earn it. If you're looking for a good income with steady work, unless you have a great skill that most people don't have, I'd find a regular job. I hope that helps in your decision to join Elance. Of course, you can always join for free to test the waters, and see where things go from there.  less
Pros
money from home
Cons
very unstable payment wise
Shocked! Elance was great until...
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Online - WorldwideOctober 27, 2014
I loved Elance. Someone recommended I upgrade by switching from oDesk to Elance. I did so in June of 2013 and began securing contracts through them. I loved having my own business, the flexibility. I was able to find good clients who communicated well and paid promptly.

Then suddenly, on 9/29 this year, I received notice from them that my account was under review and suspended for the time being, citing "Work performance below average." I thought for sure it was in error since I have a consistent 5.0 out of 5.0 rating with great feedback. I started writing to them to try to understand why I was suspended. The first week, all I received were auto-replies. I spent three weeks communicating with them. Never once did I receive any more explanation other than "your feedback rating is not all we consider in determining customer satisfaction." I requested to know what other factors might be involved. I never received any details, and finally they just closed my account. I was right in the middle of a contract, and I was nearly finished with a 30,000 word novella, the third in a series.

Despite them saying that I had no redress at that point, I wrote to them pointing out that it was unconscionable for them to judge my client satisfaction by some standard of which I had no knowledge. I had combed their policies to ensure that I wasn't missing something, but no. Immediately they wrote and asked me for patience while they reviewed me yet again. I requested that I be allowed to at least submit and get paid for the novella I had just completed out of fairness to both my client and myself
  more... as I was on deadline. They stopped communicating with me and my account remains closed.

As this was my sole source of income at the time, it was extremely distressing to me.

TWO THINGS: In the course of this, I called their customer service and was told that they were doing a mandated audit. My question: did they just have a quota of accounts they had to close to prove due diligence? Also, in researching, I found a complaint on Yelp from someone who had worked for their sister site, oDesk, and had an experience identical to mine where they were never given any explanations whatsoever.
Pros
good clients, good jobs, flexibility of working from home.
Cons
elance corporate support - unreasonable, unreliable, shady
You are not protected
freelancer (Former Employee) –  the worldApril 26, 2013
I was working good for a period of time and I was able to make an excellent reputation a 5/5 stars and then I met 3 con clients that took the work and does not want to pay.

I discover that in elance does not protect or care about freelancers from the process of disbution and laothough there was evidence that I delivered the work throught their site I hardly was able to keep one of the 3 fund into my account while the other two I couldn't they also give me messages that do more pressure on me to give a refund for the clients to avoid bad rating which was true because elance dont give a freelancer give a rate for the client only a useless feedback.

As I said you wont experience these situation until you work with a bad client which sooner or later you will and when you need protection...BOOM you find no protection whatsoever

Also when I do some suggestions and protest about one of their policy they send me a message threaten me that they will close my account !! all these because I expressed my opinion !!

I could not believe myself a previous freelancer warned me now after I experience that myself I know he was right. Now you have been warned too there are other freelancers sites really protect freelancers and more secured than elance which btw their db hacked before with their useless security measures.
Pros
nothin
Scam City
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  USAugust 5, 2014
Elance does nothing to protect freelancers from scam artists. I worked with a client who was verified by Elance. The payments were supposed to be guaranteed by Elance. Work View was set up, and I was filling in timesheets. Later, I saw that the job was delisted on Elance and all of my hours were erased. I questioned Elance about the client and received no response. I put in a lot of hard work for this client and wrote great pieces for them, only to find out that it was all for nothing. The client scammed me and many other freelancers, removed their Elance account, and disappeared, and was allowed to do this by Elance. No more contacts through Skype, nothing. When I questioned the client about what happened, they instructed me that their bank card was being reissued by their bank so they could not pay me. Still, they asked me to do more work for them. I of course refused and told them no more work would be completed until I was paid... no response. Elance harbors scam artists. I will never again accept anymore work from any client on Elance. Ridiculous. What they did was criminal and I should be able to sue for what happened.
Cons
scams
Be wary of this company
Freeamcer (Current Employee) –  Home officeDecember 12, 2014
I have been Freelancing for over 20 years, and worked through another site for 10. I joined Elance in 2013 and what a nightmare! I have a great reputation, and people hire me because I can do what most can't.

Last month my profile was 'suspended' for no reason, suddenly. Elance put a hold on $1500 of mine that was in my account. I had to file a BBB report to get my account reopened and get my money. This outfit is run by dishonest, incompetent people.

Then, I was hired for a Business Consultation by a man in Canada. He paid me, and I gave him the Consultation. As it turns out he was using someone else's Elance account. They did nothing to him and suspended my account again because I would not mediate with them. This 'client' was a scam artist and Elance ignored my messages about him.

The Customer service department is outsourced to India and the Philippines. Absolutely a night mare working with the management of this company trying to get my account restored and my money back.

They should be shut down, in my opinion.
Pros
job listings
Cons
poor customer service, poor communocation, account suspsension for no good reason

Comment – January 18, 2015

Found an illegal job posting on this site on Thursday- someone wanted to hire a hacker to get into another website. Elance 'job' postings are 99 percent scams. I called the company that was the target of the hack and reported Elance for offering that on their site. They don't verify buyers. It's another Craigs's list with a sinister tone to it. Stay away.

RUN! ELANCE = A HUGE SCAM
Freelancer in Language Services (Former Employee) –  BerlinApril 1, 2014
My experience with Elance is abominable. In theory online freelancing should work fine. But Elance offers no protection to the freelancer. On the contrary, they protect scams and fraudulent clients and threaten and try to exploit the same person who happened to fall victim to scams through their site.

Run, stay away from this disgusting site. Their policies and their behavior are totally unprofessional. Don't let yourself be fooled, they make lots of money out of the freelancer's bids and offer absolutely nothing in exchange. Not that you, as a freelancer, needed anything different from some minimal protection and intervention.

I do not recommend this site to anyone. Not even to my worst enemies. What happens there is repelling and a mockery of the idea or work and collaboration. Let alone work ethics.
Pros
not enough
Cons
fraud plus elance is against the freelancer through what they do
freelance contractor site
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2012
Although this California-based company bills its services as a interactive proposal posting site, their Terms of Service are quite restrictive, including prohibiting "contractors" from moving clients off their platform for two years, and then only by paying a high fee to avoid legal action. There is considerable restriction on how services are delivered. Fees amount to 8.75% of all earnings. Despite their protestations to the contrary, this is a outsourcing job placement service. All work is done on a 1099 model.

That said if you can wade through the multiple "dumpster diving" job posters, there is potential for income on the site. A few "contractors" report earnings in excess of 30K/year.
Pros
lots of job listings
Cons
tons of scammy postings, no benefits
Constantly Lies to Contractors, Will Steal Your Money
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Mountain View CAJanuary 9, 2015
Unfortunately this place is about as corrupt as you can get. From experiences of working at this company "in-office" I've seen how much dirt they try to hide.

We are coached to constantly lie to people, confuse them and make up our own terms of service in order to pay people money. I've personally seen firsthand if an employee makes a mistake that will cost us (Elance) money then they are to hand it off to a "seasoned" staff member who apologizes and just basically lies to cover theirselves.

I'm glad I got far away from this cesspool of fakes. What's hilarious is how much they go out of their way with fake reviews of their company to stay afloat of all the bad press
Cons
lying, stealing basically just promoting bad morals
No Place for Creatives with Ethics or Pride
Freelance Content Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Work from HomeOctober 10, 2014
Clients are screened very well and they should be rated by freelancers. Some of the clients will give you a run around because they don't know what they want and some are practically illiterate. Some of the clients think writers and editors are like slaves that they can boss around endlessly, requesting revisions in the same manner. Other clients work you to death and never acknowledge your hard work and effort. It's a crazy place. You'll feel undervalued and overworked almost immediately. This is not a good place for truly creative people with a sense of morals, ethics or pride in their work.
Pros
lots of jobs offered daily
Cons
no corporate support for the freelancers, you end up paying to bid on jobs.
Have had trouble with elance
Freelance writer (Current Employee) –  Seward, NEApril 16, 2015
I have had some issues with Elance. I have worked with them for the past over two years and have had trouble. There are a lot of clients that try to screw you over, but I do not necessarily believe Elance is in charge of dealing with that. My issue is that in the past three months I have been blocked twice for no reason and without any responses. I had to threaten to post before it got fixed and sorted out. I love some of the clients and jobs I have gotten on there but feel some things need to change.

I am just curious if anyone would be interested in a new site that is like Elance, but without all of the bad management and issues. Would you join if the fee charged was just 5%? Thanks
Pros
Lots of jobs
Cons
bad management, withholds money earned
My Day with Pan Am
Wrote the closing to the authors novel. (Former Employee) –  Ghost writers - Elance for California.htmlMay 26, 2015
Selling what I loved to do best,Travel. When a flight attendant, there was no challenge, I flew up and flew down and in-between time it was coffee, tea, or me.
As a sales representative, I was responsible for an area in Manhattan of Travel Agencies. keeping them up to date on all our material. New and exciting package deals for their customers to enjoy. Put these deals together like they have never experienced, nor their friends. The most exciting, adventurous, mysterious, relaxing, or should I say something for everyone's appeal. I really loved the personal interactions between T.A., customers, Airlines and ME.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Not traveling
Elance Devalues Your Profession
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  AnywhereAugust 22, 2013
Wether you're a graphic designer, programmer or photographer, Elance only devalues your work and services. Don't waste your time with Elance! Unfortunately, all of that hard work, education, skill and years of experience will only be outbid by competitors who live in conditions where a few dollars can afford them much more. Stop devaluing your profession. Stick to fair, ethical practices and pricing.
Pros
free
Cons
devalues your profession, inability to make contracts with clients, no control over your work, no control over where or how work is used, waste of time providing free comps, unfair and unethical pricing
Flexible Hours
Freelance Research Analyst / Remote Admin Support (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 25, 2014
In Elance, you have the opportunity to work at home and still earn money. There are different works in Elance which you can choose from and learn new things. Each client will assign you different tasks. The management is good because you are at peace that you will be paid on time. We don't have any co-workers because we work at home. The hardest part of the job is that it is not as stable as to compare to a regular job. The most enjoyable part of this job is you have more time with your family while earning at home.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
not stable
Very good job of matching freelancers with employers and then managing the relationship.
Freelance Grant Writer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 8, 2015
Elance is a very good site for allowing freelancers to specifically find the jobs that best suit their skills. The site is easy to use and allows the freelancer and customer the flexibility of choosing fixed rate or hourly jobs and to change the payment option.
Pros
Specificity of jobs available and tools for managing job.
Cons
Every now and then there are technical problems with the website.
3 Year Old Classroom Teacher Assistant
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FL Work From HomeMarch 23, 2015
Responsibilities include planning and implementing programs for young children. Providing adequate safe equipment and activities for these children daily. Establishing routines that provide positive guidance for young children, as well as communicating with parents and members of the community. Promoting literacy and early education while maintaining and monitoring program budgets.
Pros
i loved the atmosphere
Flexible work for any schedule
Writing and Administrative Support Freelancer (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, paJune 1, 2014
Elance.com provides a connection between clients and freelancers. The types of opportunities available are vast - everything from simple data entry/administrative jobs to complex software coding. Some jobs require that freelancers be located in the same area as the client, because they require office visits, but for the most part, all jobs can be done from anywhere in the world.
Self Employment - Work/Life Balance
Freelance Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Although I enjoy the flexibility of being self employed, the hardest part of the job is scoring a bid. Working with Elance may also provide some challenges with the amount of money the employers are willing to pay in exchange for your services. For the most part I enjoy the company and the platform provided for individuals that would like to move towards self employment.
Great freelancer experience for a novice
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Toano, VaJune 17, 2015
A regular workday consisted of a 12-hour window for monitoring of blog site and reporting findings via online workroom. I learned how to take screenshots on a Microsoft. Being offered the position and completing it with the satisfaction of the customer were the most satisfying aspects of the position.
Pros
Instructions were easy to follow
Cons
needed to unblock cookies to recieve new ads.
Great for online work
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkMay 14, 2014
Great place to work if you are looking for an online job you can do from home.

I learned how to work with Photoshop.

My co-worker was great. We worked together on projects and consulted one another on drafts for feedback.

The hardest part of the job was bidding for projects as Elance put in place a paywall for viewing current bids.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I could sit and work.
a hard learning process
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 26, 2013
bet on a project and wait to be chosen. hard to find a job because people undersell themselves; you finally work hours for a project that will be very little pay. Poor protection from Elance in case of problems with client; you need to know how to protect yourself from fake clients that do not want to pay; how to ask for pay, what services to provide at what rate.
Pros
independence