Elance

Elance Employee Reviews

Freelance web designer
WordPress Expert (Current Employee), RemoteJune 26, 2015
Worked with wordpress mostly on Elance marketplace.
I learned many things while working on Elance. I've got few awesome clients while working on there
Self Employment - Work/Life Balance
Freelance Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Although I enjoy the flexibility of being self employed, the hardest part of the job is scoring a bid. Working with Elance may also provide some challenges with the amount of money the employers are willing to pay in exchange for your services. For the most part I enjoy the company and the platform provided for individuals that would like to move towards self employment.
Great freelancer experience for a novice
Freelance (Current Employee), Toano, VaJune 17, 2015
Pros: Instructions were easy to follow
Cons: needed to unblock cookies to recieve new ads.
A regular workday consisted of a 12-hour window for monitoring of blog site and reporting findings via online workroom. I learned how to take screenshots on a Microsoft. Being offered the position and completing it with the satisfaction of the customer were the most satisfying aspects of the position.
My Day with Pan Am
Wrote the closing to the authors novel. (Former Employee), Ghost writers - Elance for California.htmlMay 26, 2015
Pros: Traveling
Cons: Not traveling
Selling what I loved to do best,Travel. When a flight attendant, there was no challenge, I flew up and flew down and in-between time it was coffee, tea, or me.
As a sales representative, I was responsible – more... for an area in Manhattan of Travel Agencies. keeping them up to date on all our material. New and exciting package deals for their customers to enjoy. Put these deals together like they have never experienced, nor their friends. The most exciting, adventurous, mysterious, relaxing, or should I say something for everyone's appeal. I really loved the personal interactions between T.A., customers, Airlines and ME. – less
Not a money maker, but can get you some extra scratch.
Freelance (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 6, 2015
Pros: Lets you set your own work schedule.
Cons: You'll be lucky to get a gig that pays more then 1 cent per word.
Snagging freelance gigs on elance is fine. Getting gigs that pay a living wage is nearly impossible. You can make some extra scratch really easy but you'll never make enough to live on.
Freelancer
Freelancer (Current Employee), Los Angeles,CaliforniaApril 27, 2015
Pros: work from hoe
Cons: Clients did not pay on time
I worked for many clients for all kinds of things from event planning to sales and development! I also created,maintained and administrated for many clients and still do!
Have had trouble with elance
Freelance writer (Current Employee), Seward, NEApril 16, 2015
Pros: Lots of jobs
Cons: bad management, withholds money earned
I have had some issues with Elance. I have worked with them for the past over two years and have had trouble. There are a lot of clients that try to screw you over, but I do not necessarily believe Elance – more... is in charge of dealing with that. My issue is that in the past three months I have been blocked twice for no reason and without any responses. I had to threaten to post before it got fixed and sorted out. I love some of the clients and jobs I have gotten on there but feel some things need to change.

I am just curious if anyone would be interested in a new site that is like Elance, but without all of the bad management and issues. Would you join if the fee charged was just 5%? Thanks – less
More Freedom to choose what to work and when to work
Developer (Former Employee), HomeApril 14, 2015
Pros: Freedom
Cons: more time to gain projects than develop
I usually bid project, develop them and deliver it on time. Learnt lots of things over here. Its basically a work from home.
Very good job of matching freelancers with employers and then managing the relationship.
Freelance Grant Writer (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 8, 2015
Pros: Specificity of jobs available and tools for managing job.
Cons: Every now and then there are technical problems with the website.
Elance is a very good site for allowing freelancers to specifically find the jobs that best suit their skills. The site is easy to use and allows the freelancer and customer the flexibility of choosing fixed rate or hourly jobs and to change the payment option.
3 Year Old Classroom Teacher Assistant
Customer Service (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FL Work From HomeMarch 23, 2015
Pros: i loved the atmosphere
Responsibilities include planning and implementing programs for young children. Providing adequate safe equipment and activities for these children daily. Establishing routines that provide positive guidance for young children, as well as communicating with parents and members of the community. Promoting literacy and early education while maintaining and monitoring program budgets.
Excellent compnay to work for
Writer (Current Employee), Content, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: i get to show my talents in many different writing genres
Cons: there is much competition for each job
A typical day at work is getting busy ghostwriting or proofreading an offered document, completing it, and returning it to the employer with corrections and suggestions.
Constantly Lies to Contractors, Will Steal Your Money
Customer Support (Former Employee), Mountain View CAJanuary 9, 2015
Cons: lying, stealing basically just promoting bad morals
Unfortunately this place is about as corrupt as you can get. From experiences of working at this company "in-office" I've seen how much dirt they try to hide.

We are coached to constantly lie to people, – more... confuse them and make up our own terms of service in order to pay people money. I've personally seen firsthand if an employee makes a mistake that will cost us (Elance) money then they are to hand it off to a "seasoned" staff member who apologizes and just basically lies to cover theirselves.

I'm glad I got far away from this cesspool of fakes. What's hilarious is how much they go out of their way with fake reviews of their company to stay afloat of all the bad press – less
...
Transcriptionist (Current Employee), Marietta, GADecember 29, 2014
Good if you are looking to supplement your income, but work is not guaranteed. Don't be deceived by employer stating they have more work to follow, but after you complete a job for them, they actually have nothing.
Very easy way to make great money doing what you love.
Freelance Writer/Editor (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLDecember 21, 2014
I have been a member of Elance for a short time, but have had fun working with two separate publishers in creating great novels. I have and will continue to recommend this site to people who are looking for a little extra cash.
Very Laid back relaxed enviroment
AppleOne Temporary Service (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 20, 2014
Pros: work from home
Cons: no long term jobs and no benefits
Elance has job postings for different companies so you apply on Elance but the company you chose hires you and Elance pays you every week on Wednesday.
Be wary of this company
Freeamcer (Current Employee), Home officeDecember 12, 2014
Pros: job listings
Cons: poor customer service, poor communocation, account suspsension for no good reason
I have been Freelancing for over 20 years, and worked through another site for 10. I joined Elance in 2013 and what a nightmare! I have a great reputation, and people hire me because I can do what most – more... can't.

Last month my profile was 'suspended' for no reason, suddenly. Elance put a hold on $1500 of mine that was in my account. I had to file a BBB report to get my account reopened and get my money. This outfit is run by dishonest, incompetent people.

Then, I was hired for a Business Consultation by a man in Canada. He paid me, and I gave him the Consultation. As it turns out he was using someone else's Elance account. They did nothing to him and suspended my account again because I would not mediate with them. This 'client' was a scam artist and Elance ignored my messages about him.

The Customer service department is outsourced to India and the Philippines. Absolutely a night mare working with the management of this company trying to get my account restored and my money back.

They should be shut down, in my opinion. – less

January 18, 2015

Found an illegal job posting on this site on Thursday- someone wanted to hire a hacker to get into another website. Elance 'job' postings are 99 percent scams. I called the company that was the target of the hack and reported Elance for offering that on their site. They don't verify buyers. It's another Craigs's list with a sinister tone to it. Stay away.

Great job board to work off of
Virtual Assistant (Current Employee), OnlineNovember 3, 2014
They provide a great work/life balance with all the different jobs for people looking to work from home.
Shocked! Elance was great until...
Writer/Editor (Former Employee), Online - WorldwideOctober 27, 2014
Pros: good clients, good jobs, flexibility of working from home.
Cons: elance corporate support - unreasonable, unreliable, shady
I loved Elance. Someone recommended I upgrade by switching from oDesk to Elance. I did so in June of 2013 and began securing contracts through them. I loved having my own business, the flexibility. I was – more... able to find good clients who communicated well and paid promptly.

Then suddenly, on 9/29 this year, I received notice from them that my account was under review and suspended for the time being, citing "Work performance below average." I thought for sure it was in error since I have a consistent 5.0 out of 5.0 rating with great feedback. I started writing to them to try to understand why I was suspended. The first week, all I received were auto-replies. I spent three weeks communicating with them. Never once did I receive any more explanation other than "your feedback rating is not all we consider in determining customer satisfaction." I requested to know what other factors might be involved. I never received any details, and finally they just closed my account. I was right in the middle of a contract, and I was nearly finished with a 30,000 word novella, the third in a series.

Despite them saying that I had no redress at that point, I wrote to them pointing out that it was unconscionable for them to judge my client satisfaction by some standard of which I had no knowledge. I had combed their policies to ensure that I wasn't missing something, but no. Immediately they wrote and asked me for patience while they reviewed me yet again. I requested that I be allowed to at least submit and get paid for the novella I had just completed out of fairness to both my client and myself as I was on deadline. They stopped communicating with me and my account remains closed.

As this was my sole source of income at the time, it was extremely distressing to me.

TWO THINGS: In the course of this, I called their customer service and was told that they were doing a mandated audit. My question: did they just have a quota of accounts they had to close to prove due diligence? Also, in researching, I found a complaint on Yelp from someone who had worked for their sister site, oDesk, and had an experience identical to mine where they were never given any explanations whatsoever. – less
No Place for Creatives with Ethics or Pride
Freelance Content Writer/Editor (Current Employee), Work from HomeOctober 10, 2014
Pros: lots of jobs offered daily
Cons: no corporate support for the freelancers, you end up paying to bid on jobs.
Clients are screened very well and they should be rated by freelancers. Some of the clients will give you a run around because they don't know what they want and some are practically illiterate. Some of – more... the clients think writers and editors are like slaves that they can boss around endlessly, requesting revisions in the same manner. Other clients work you to death and never acknowledge your hard work and effort. It's a crazy place. You'll feel undervalued and overworked almost immediately. This is not a good place for truly creative people with a sense of morals, ethics or pride in their work. – less
Scam City
Freelancer (Former Employee), USAugust 5, 2014
Cons: scams
Elance does nothing to protect freelancers from scam artists. I worked with a client who was verified by Elance. The payments were supposed to be guaranteed by Elance. Work View was set up, and I was filling – more... in timesheets. Later, I saw that the job was delisted on Elance and all of my hours were erased. I questioned Elance about the client and received no response. I put in a lot of hard work for this client and wrote great pieces for them, only to find out that it was all for nothing. The client scammed me and many other freelancers, removed their Elance account, and disappeared, and was allowed to do this by Elance. No more contacts through Skype, nothing. When I questioned the client about what happened, they instructed me that their bank card was being reissued by their bank so they could not pay me. Still, they asked me to do more work for them. I of course refused and told them no more work would be completed until I was paid... no response. Elance harbors scam artists. I will never again accept anymore work from any client on Elance. Ridiculous. What they did was criminal and I should be able to sue for what happened. – less

1 2 3

About Elance

eLance, Inc. is a web platform that helps businesses connect with freelancers and remote teams on a project basis. The site also – Read more

Elance Salaries