Elance Employee Reviews

Not the Best Company to work at
Article Writer (Former Employee) –  onlineMay 18, 2017
It didn't pay me at all for my services that I applied for every job I applied. I was an article writer that was basically never paid for my work. Though it was an interesting first work experience.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay
company closed
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2017
no comment. this company was a bidding freelancers website for writers. I enjoyed the work. However, there was not enough work available.
the company is closed now. No longer in business.
Productive and fun workplace to grow
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CaliforniaFebruary 17, 2017
My experience on Elacne was simply the best. I grew and made my name in the most competitive online workplace and completed hundreds of prjoects single handedly. Noy only this made me extremely responsible, this also helped me develop skills to find solutions to complex problems on my own.
Great place to get work using your skills remotely
Private Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 8, 2017
I had to bid on jobs that others like myself were bidding on, its hard to compete with other freelancers that are willing to do the same job for less from other countries,but I only submit to American Companies.
Pros
work when I wanted to!
Cons
not getting paid on time or only getting half payment
various telemarketing positions (Former Employee) –  100% work from home in OHNovember 8, 2016
This was a positive experience and worked well for both me and the clients I worked for.

* 85% completion rate when cold calling
* Many found my voice engaging and trustworthy
* Was often asked to persue positions of greater authority
Pros
variety of clients
Cons
many jobs were short-lived
A workplace of quality
Editor and Content Consultant (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 28, 2016
Working with Elance since 2008 (now Upwork) I can say it was an amazing experience. I was able to expand on my skills while gaining vital exposure and valuable details needed to be successful in the world of freelance working. The overall experience was great without any noted issues with either the site, management, clients or other workers.
This is a good freelance site to get started as a freelance writer. the pay is comperable to the writers experience and writing style.
Freelance Writer, freelance content writer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 3, 2016
For a novice writer this is a great site to get your feet wet in the feild of freelance writing. You won't get rich but with patience and a willingness and drive to succeed you will soon be on your way to creating content that is more often accepted. Pay is dependant on your writing skills and experience so don't give up even if you are passed over many times, you will get there.
Pros
fr3lance experience, some really great people-fellow writers and requestors and staff.
Cons
Bid not always accepted, content requested exceeds pay offered.
Rewarding but extremely challenging
freelance technologist (Former Employee) –  homeJune 2, 2016
Working for yourself in this type of environment is incredible for your work/life balance, but you are competing against people from around the world. Someone in Malaysia can live off just 10 dollars a day while you may need 10 times that so they can undercut you by wide margins. The only way you can make a true living with this kind of job is by having a much more advanced skill set than the basic computer user.
A company like family
Customer Support Level 1 (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 25, 2016
Employees treat each other as family. A fun environment with continuous learning. Training are properly provided and the management always make sure to know how their employees are with the company.
Pros
Bonus
Flexible Schedule
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 11, 2016
Working for Elance offers a flexible schedule along with a gain in work experience.

It is great working with people from all over the Nation.

Stability in work is an issue. It is hard to keep work coming in after a project ends.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Stability
The ability to work from homw was great while my Kids were young.
Ghost writer/Translator (Current Employee) –  onlineFebruary 13, 2016
Elance gave me the chance to earn a living from the comfort of my home and also helped me learn to compete in an ever growing market.
Many opportunities to work with a variety of skills.
Contract Programmer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 15, 2015
Great opportunity to expand and learn many skills. A great place to improve you communication and video conferencing skills as well.
No way to contact or accountability
writer producer videographer (Former Employee) –  san francisco CASeptember 3, 2015
Elance is okay for finding work but there is no way to contact them when a client hasn't paid. Clients can get bad reviews but then sign up again with another name, especially now that they're changing to Upwork. I'm out over $3000 after trying to get paid for over 3 months of full-time work for a client.
Cons
no way to contact support, can't get paid
Bad experience with Elance
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  HomeJuly 22, 2015
Elance is a great site, for sure. But it seemed like the pay for all of the jobs I bid on and won was very poor. A few of the people I worked with didn't want to pay me over Elance's site and chose to pay me on their own. Unfortunately when that happened the pay was erratically distributed and I'd have to find another person to work for.
its a home based job and it does provide a great opportunity to earn money sitting home
Freelance Web developer (Current Employee) –  PakistanJuly 15, 2015
Each day at Elance is a new experience. An eye opener of how a workforce can divide and unite for the common goal of getting a job done.
A free for all haystack
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 11, 2015
Some may find Elance to be a little less to their liking than others. Finding well paying jobs is up to the individual and your results may vary.
Note: Elance will be closing soon to move everything over to up-work.
Pros
Variety, remote
Cons
finding new clients, applying for projects, uncertain monetary rewards
Seeing The World Differently
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 28, 2015
Pros
Regular Payment. Freebies. No overtime. Unique Career Experience.
Cons
No overtime.
Freelance web designer
WordPress Expert (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 26, 2015
Worked with wordpress mostly on Elance marketplace.
I learned many things while working on Elance. I've got few awesome clients while working on there
Self Employment - Work/Life Balance
Freelance Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Although I enjoy the flexibility of being self employed, the hardest part of the job is scoring a bid. Working with Elance may also provide some challenges with the amount of money the employers are willing to pay in exchange for your services. For the most part I enjoy the company and the platform provided for individuals that would like to move towards self employment.
Great freelancer experience for a novice
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Toano, VaJune 17, 2015
A regular workday consisted of a 12-hour window for monitoring of blog site and reporting findings via online workroom. I learned how to take screenshots on a Microsoft. Being offered the position and completing it with the satisfaction of the customer were the most satisfying aspects of the position.
Pros
Instructions were easy to follow
Cons
needed to unblock cookies to recieve new ads.