Elance Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding but extremely challenging
freelance technologist (Former Employee) –  homeJune 2, 2016
Working for yourself in this type of environment is incredible for your work/life balance, but you are competing against people from around the world. Someone in Malaysia can live off just 10 dollars a day while you may need 10 times that so they can undercut you by wide margins. The only way you can make a true living with this kind of job is by having a much more advanced skill set than the basic computer user.
A company like family
Customer Support Level 1 (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 25, 2016
Employees treat each other as family. A fun environment with continuous learning. Training are properly provided and the management always make sure to know how their employees are with the company.
Pros
Bonus
Flexible Schedule
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 11, 2016
Working for Elance offers a flexible schedule along with a gain in work experience.

It is great working with people from all over the Nation.

Stability in work is an issue. It is hard to keep work coming in after a project ends.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Stability
freelance contractor site
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2012
Although this California-based company bills its services as a interactive proposal posting site, their Terms of Service are quite restrictive, including prohibiting "contractors" from moving clients off their platform for two years, and then only by paying a high fee to avoid legal action. There is considerable restriction on how services are delivered. Fees amount to 8.75% of all earnings. Despite their protestations to the contrary, this is a outsourcing job placement service. All work is done on a 1099 model.

That said if you can wade through the multiple "dumpster diving" job posters, there is potential for income on the site. A few "contractors" report earnings in excess of 30K/year.
Pros
lots of job listings
Cons
tons of scammy postings, no benefits
The ability to work from homw was great while my Kids were young.
Ghost writer/Translator (Current Employee) –  onlineFebruary 13, 2016
Elance gave me the chance to earn a living from the comfort of my home and also helped me learn to compete in an ever growing market.
Many opportunities to work with a variety of skills.
Contract Programmer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 15, 2015
Great opportunity to expand and learn many skills. A great place to improve you communication and video conferencing skills as well.
Very Laid back relaxed enviroment
AppleOne Temporary Service (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 20, 2014
Elance has job postings for different companies so you apply on Elance but the company you chose hires you and Elance pays you every week on Wednesday.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no long term jobs and no benefits
freelance
Freelance Journalist, Editor, Voice-over talent (Current Employee) –  homeFebruary 25, 2014
Elance is a great company, but it's freelance and freelance is never guarantee so the low scores are because there are no real benefits and no real set income. But if you need quick cash and have the skills, elance is a great place to start.
Pros
guaranteed pay, time tracker
Cons
employee is on as needed basis
Have had trouble with elance
Freelance writer (Current Employee) –  Seward, NEApril 16, 2015
I have had some issues with Elance. I have worked with them for the past over two years and have had trouble. There are a lot of clients that try to screw you over, but I do not necessarily believe Elance is in charge of dealing with that. My issue is that in the past three months I have been blocked twice for no reason and without any responses. I had to threaten to post before it got fixed and sorted out. I love some of the clients and jobs I have gotten on there but feel some things need to change.

I am just curious if anyone would be interested in a new site that is like Elance, but without all of the bad management and issues. Would you join if the fee charged was just 5%? Thanks
Pros
Lots of jobs
Cons
bad management, withholds money earned
No way to contact or accountability
writer producer videographer (Former Employee) –  san francisco CASeptember 3, 2015
Elance is okay for finding work but there is no way to contact them when a client hasn't paid. Clients can get bad reviews but then sign up again with another name, especially now that they're changing to Upwork. I'm out over $3000 after trying to get paid for over 3 months of full-time work for a client.
Cons
no way to contact support, can't get paid
My Day with Pan Am
Wrote the closing to the authors novel. (Former Employee) –  Ghost writers - Elance for California.htmlMay 26, 2015
Selling what I loved to do best,Travel. When a flight attendant, there was no challenge, I flew up and flew down and in-between time it was coffee, tea, or me.
As a sales representative, I was responsible for an area in Manhattan of Travel Agencies. keeping them up to date on all our material. New and exciting package deals for their customers to enjoy. Put these deals together like they have never experienced, nor their friends. The most exciting, adventurous, mysterious, relaxing, or should I say something for everyone's appeal. I really loved the personal interactions between T.A., customers, Airlines and ME.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Not traveling
Bad experience with Elance
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  HomeJuly 22, 2015
Elance is a great site, for sure. But it seemed like the pay for all of the jobs I bid on and won was very poor. A few of the people I worked with didn't want to pay me over Elance's site and chose to pay me on their own. Unfortunately when that happened the pay was erratically distributed and I'd have to find another person to work for.
Seeing The World Differently
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 28, 2015
Each day at Elance is a new experience. An eye opener of how a workforce can divide and unite for the common goal of getting a job done.
Pros
Regular Payment. Freebies. No overtime. Unique Career Experience.
Cons
No overtime.
Self Employment - Work/Life Balance
Freelance Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Although I enjoy the flexibility of being self employed, the hardest part of the job is scoring a bid. Working with Elance may also provide some challenges with the amount of money the employers are willing to pay in exchange for your services. For the most part I enjoy the company and the platform provided for individuals that would like to move towards self employment.
Flexible Hours
Freelance Research Analyst / Remote Admin Support (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 25, 2014
In Elance, you have the opportunity to work at home and still earn money. There are different works in Elance which you can choose from and learn new things. Each client will assign you different tasks. The management is good because you are at peace that you will be paid on time. We don't have any co-workers because we work at home. The hardest part of the job is that it is not as stable as to compare to a regular job. The most enjoyable part of this job is you have more time with your family while earning at home.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
not stable
Great freelancer experience for a novice
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Toano, VaJune 17, 2015
A regular workday consisted of a 12-hour window for monitoring of blog site and reporting findings via online workroom. I learned how to take screenshots on a Microsoft. Being offered the position and completing it with the satisfaction of the customer were the most satisfying aspects of the position.
Pros
Instructions were easy to follow
Cons
needed to unblock cookies to recieve new ads.
A free for all haystack
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 11, 2015
Some may find Elance to be a little less to their liking than others. Finding well paying jobs is up to the individual and your results may vary.
Note: Elance will be closing soon to move everything over to up-work.
Pros
Variety, remote
Cons
finding new clients, applying for projects, uncertain monetary rewards
Not a money maker, but can get you some extra scratch.
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2015
Snagging freelance gigs on elance is fine. Getting gigs that pay a living wage is nearly impossible. You can make some extra scratch really easy but you'll never make enough to live on.
Pros
Lets you set your own work schedule.
Cons
You'll be lucky to get a gig that pays more then 1 cent per word.
Constantly Lies to Contractors, Will Steal Your Money
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Mountain View CAJanuary 9, 2015
Unfortunately this place is about as corrupt as you can get. From experiences of working at this company "in-office" I've seen how much dirt they try to hide.

We are coached to constantly lie to people, confuse them and make up our own terms of service in order to pay people money. I've personally seen firsthand if an employee makes a mistake that will cost us (Elance) money then they are to hand it off to a "seasoned" staff member who apologizes and just basically lies to cover theirselves.

I'm glad I got far away from this cesspool of fakes. What's hilarious is how much they go out of their way with fake reviews of their company to stay afloat of all the bad press
Cons
lying, stealing basically just promoting bad morals
Be wary of this company
Freeamcer (Current Employee) –  Home officeDecember 12, 2014
I have been Freelancing for over 20 years, and worked through another site for 10. I joined Elance in 2013 and what a nightmare! I have a great reputation, and people hire me because I can do what most can't.

Last month my profile was 'suspended' for no reason, suddenly. Elance put a hold on $1500 of mine that was in my account. I had to file a BBB report to get my account reopened and get my money. This outfit is run by dishonest, incompetent people.

Then, I was hired for a Business Consultation by a man in Canada. He paid me, and I gave him the Consultation. As it turns out he was using someone else's Elance account. They did nothing to him and suspended my account again because I would not mediate with them. This 'client' was a scam artist and Elance ignored my messages about him.

The Customer service department is outsourced to India and the Philippines. Absolutely a night mare working with the management of this company trying to get my account restored and my money back.

They should be shut down, in my opinion.
Pros
Job listings
Cons
Poor customer service, poor communocation, account suspsension for no good reason

Comment – January 18, 2015

Found an illegal job posting on this site on Thursday- someone wanted to hire a hacker to get into another website. Elance 'job' postings are 99 percent scams. I called the company that was the target of the hack and reported Elance for offering that on their site. They don't verify buyers. It's another Craigs's list with a sinister tone to it. Stay away.