Elance Employee Reviews

A workplace of quality
Editor and Content Consultant (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 28, 2016
Working with Elance since 2008 (now Upwork) I can say it was an amazing experience. I was able to expand on my skills while gaining vital exposure and valuable details needed to be successful in the world of freelance working. The overall experience was great without any noted issues with either the site, management, clients or other workers.
This is a good freelance site to get started as a freelance writer. the pay is comperable to the writers experience and writing style.
Freelance Writer, freelance content writer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 3, 2016
For a novice writer this is a great site to get your feet wet in the feild of freelance writing. You won't get rich but with patience and a willingness and drive to succeed you will soon be on your way to creating content that is more often accepted. Pay is dependant on your writing skills and experience so don't give up even if you are passed over many times, you will get there.
Pros
fr3lance experience, some really great people-fellow writers and requestors and staff.
Cons
Bid not always accepted, content requested exceeds pay offered.
Rewarding but extremely challenging
freelance technologist (Former Employee) –  homeJune 2, 2016
Working for yourself in this type of environment is incredible for your work/life balance, but you are competing against people from around the world. Someone in Malaysia can live off just 10 dollars a day while you may need 10 times that so they can undercut you by wide margins. The only way you can make a true living with this kind of job is by having a much more advanced skill set than the basic computer user.
various telemarketing positions (Former Employee) –  100% work from home in OHNovember 8, 2016
This was a positive experience and worked well for both me and the clients I worked for.

* 85% completion rate when cold calling
* Many found my voice engaging and trustworthy
* Was often asked to persue positions of greater authority
Pros
variety of clients
Cons
many jobs were short-lived
A company like family
Customer Support Level 1 (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 25, 2016
Employees treat each other as family. A fun environment with continuous learning. Training are properly provided and the management always make sure to know how their employees are with the company.
Pros
Bonus
Flexible Schedule
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 11, 2016
Working for Elance offers a flexible schedule along with a gain in work experience.

It is great working with people from all over the Nation.

Stability in work is an issue. It is hard to keep work coming in after a project ends.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Stability
The ability to work from homw was great while my Kids were young.
Ghost writer/Translator (Current Employee) –  onlineFebruary 13, 2016
Elance gave me the chance to earn a living from the comfort of my home and also helped me learn to compete in an ever growing market.
Have had trouble with elance
Freelance writer (Current Employee) –  Seward, NEApril 16, 2015
I have had some issues with Elance. I have worked with them for the past over two years and have had trouble. There are a lot of clients that try to screw you over, but I do not necessarily believe Elance is in charge of dealing with that. My issue is that in the past three months I have been blocked twice for no reason and without any responses. I had to threaten to post before it got fixed and sorted out. I love some of the clients and jobs I have gotten on there but feel some things need to change.

I am just curious if anyone would be interested in a new site that is like Elance, but without all of the bad management and issues. Would you join if the fee charged was just 5%? Thanks
Pros
Lots of jobs
Cons
bad management, withholds money earned
freelance contractor site
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2012
Although this California-based company bills its services as a interactive proposal posting site, their Terms of Service are quite restrictive, including prohibiting "contractors" from moving clients off their platform for two years, and then only by paying a high fee to avoid legal action. There is considerable restriction on how services are delivered. Fees amount to 8.75% of all earnings. Despite their protestations to the contrary, this is a outsourcing job placement service. All work is done on a 1099 model.

That said if you can wade through the multiple "dumpster diving" job posters, there is potential for income on the site. A few "contractors" report earnings in excess of 30K/year.
Pros
lots of job listings
Cons
tons of scammy postings, no benefits
Many opportunities to work with a variety of skills.
Contract Programmer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 15, 2015
Great opportunity to expand and learn many skills. A great place to improve you communication and video conferencing skills as well.
Flexible Hours
Freelance Research Analyst / Remote Admin Support (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 25, 2014
In Elance, you have the opportunity to work at home and still earn money. There are different works in Elance which you can choose from and learn new things. Each client will assign you different tasks. The management is good because you are at peace that you will be paid on time. We don't have any co-workers because we work at home. The hardest part of the job is that it is not as stable as to compare to a regular job. The most enjoyable part of this job is you have more time with your family while earning at home.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Not Stable
Be wary of this company
Freeamcer (Current Employee) –  Home officeDecember 12, 2014
I have been Freelancing for over 20 years, and worked through another site for 10. I joined Elance in 2013 and what a nightmare! I have a great reputation, and people hire me because I can do what most can't.

Last month my profile was 'suspended' for no reason, suddenly. Elance put a hold on $1500 of mine that was in my account. I had to file a BBB report to get my account reopened and get my money. This outfit is run by dishonest, incompetent people.

Then, I was hired for a Business Consultation by a man in Canada. He paid me, and I gave him the Consultation. As it turns out he was using someone else's Elance account. They did nothing to him and suspended my account again because I would not mediate with them. This 'client' was a scam artist and Elance ignored my messages about him.

The Customer service department is outsourced to India and the Philippines. Absolutely a night mare working with the management of this company trying to get my account restored and my money back.

They should be shut down, in my opinion.
Pros
Job listings
Cons
Poor customer service, poor communocation, account suspsension for no good reason

Comment – January 18, 2015

Found an illegal job posting on this site on Thursday- someone wanted to hire a hacker to get into another website. Elance 'job' postings are 99 percent scams. I called the company that was the target of the hack and reported Elance for offering that on their site. They don't verify buyers. It's another Craigs's list with a sinister tone to it. Stay away.

Seeing The World Differently
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 28, 2015
Each day at Elance is a new experience. An eye opener of how a workforce can divide and unite for the common goal of getting a job done.
Pros
Regular Payment. Freebies. No overtime. Unique Career Experience.
Cons
No overtime.
My Day with Pan Am
Wrote the closing to the authors novel. (Former Employee) –  Ghost writers - Elance for California.htmlMay 26, 2015
Selling what I loved to do best,Travel. When a flight attendant, there was no challenge, I flew up and flew down and in-between time it was coffee, tea, or me.
As a sales representative, I was responsible for an area in Manhattan of Travel Agencies. keeping them up to date on all our material. New and exciting package deals for their customers to enjoy. Put these deals together like they have never experienced, nor their friends. The most exciting, adventurous, mysterious, relaxing, or should I say something for everyone's appeal. I really loved the personal interactions between T.A., customers, Airlines and ME.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Not traveling
No way to contact or accountability
writer producer videographer (Former Employee) –  san francisco CASeptember 3, 2015
Elance is okay for finding work but there is no way to contact them when a client hasn't paid. Clients can get bad reviews but then sign up again with another name, especially now that they're changing to Upwork. I'm out over $3000 after trying to get paid for over 3 months of full-time work for a client.
Cons
no way to contact support, can't get paid
Constantly Lies to Contractors, Will Steal Your Money
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Mountain View CAJanuary 9, 2015
Unfortunately this place is about as corrupt as you can get. From experiences of working at this company "in-office" I've seen how much dirt they try to hide.

We are coached to constantly lie to people, confuse them and make up our own terms of service in order to pay people money. I've personally seen firsthand if an employee makes a mistake that will cost us (Elance) money then they are to hand it off to a "seasoned" staff member who apologizes and just basically lies to cover theirselves.

I'm glad I got far away from this cesspool of fakes. What's hilarious is how much they go out of their way with fake reviews of their company to stay afloat of all the bad press
Pros
Cons
Lying, stealing basically just promoting bad morals
Self Employment - Work/Life Balance
Freelance Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Although I enjoy the flexibility of being self employed, the hardest part of the job is scoring a bid. Working with Elance may also provide some challenges with the amount of money the employers are willing to pay in exchange for your services. For the most part I enjoy the company and the platform provided for individuals that would like to move towards self employment.
Bad experience with Elance
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  HomeJuly 22, 2015
Elance is a great site, for sure. But it seemed like the pay for all of the jobs I bid on and won was very poor. A few of the people I worked with didn't want to pay me over Elance's site and chose to pay me on their own. Unfortunately when that happened the pay was erratically distributed and I'd have to find another person to work for.
Very Laid back relaxed enviroment
AppleOne Temporary Service (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 20, 2014
Elance has job postings for different companies so you apply on Elance but the company you chose hires you and Elance pays you every week on Wednesday.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no long term jobs and no benefits
Run! Elance = a huge scam
Freelancer in Language Services (Former Employee) –  BerlinApril 1, 2014
My experience with Elance is abominable. In theory online freelancing should work fine. But Elance offers no protection to the freelancer. On the contrary, they protect scams and fraudulent clients and threaten and try to exploit the same person who happened to fall victim to scams through their site.

Run, stay away from this disgusting site. Their policies and their behavior are totally unprofessional. Don't let yourself be fooled, they make lots of money out of the freelancer's bids and offer absolutely nothing in exchange. Not that you, as a freelancer, needed anything different from some minimal protection and intervention.

I do not recommend this site to anyone. Not even to my worst enemies. What happens there is repelling and a mockery of the idea or work and collaboration. Let alone work ethics.
Pros
not enough
Cons
fraud plus Elance is against the Freelancer through what they do