Elance

Elance Employer Reviews

RUN! ELANCE = A HUGE SCAM
Freelancer in Language Services (Former Employee), BerlinApril 1, 2014
Pros: not enough
Cons: fraud plus elance is against the freelancer through what they do
My experience with Elance is abominable. In theory online freelancing should work fine. But Elance offers no protection to the freelancer. On the contrary, they protect scams and fraudulent clients and threaten and try to exploit the same person who happened to fall victim to scams through their site.

Run, stay away from this disgusting site. Their – more... policies and their behavior are totally unprofessional. Don't let yourself be fooled, they make lots of money out of the freelancer's bids and offer absolutely nothing in exchange. Not that you, as a freelancer, needed anything different from some minimal protection and intervention.

I do not recommend this site to anyone. Not even to my worst enemies. What happens there is repelling and a mockery of the idea or work and collaboration. Let alone work ethics. – less
freelance
Freelance Journalist, Editor, Voice-over talent (Current Employee), homeFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: guaranteed pay, time tracker
Cons: employee is on as needed basis
Elance is a great company, but it's freelance and freelance is never guarantee so the low scores are because there are no real benefits and no real set income. But if you need quick cash and have the skills, elance is a great place to start.
Perfect life vs work balance
Freelance Accountant (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 29, 2013
Excellent opportunities, many openings. I get to work on different projects. Great place to work with
Great online networking resource for freelancers
Freelance Ghostwriter (Current Employee), OnlineOctober 29, 2013
Elance was a great tool to help me express my creativity and make some extra money to support myself through college.
Just awful
Freelancer (Current Employee), Over internetOctober 26, 2013
Pros: can meet contacts for freelance work
Cons: can fall victim to abusive and manipulative clients
Be prepared to get taken for the nastiest, bitterest ride of your life. The "milestone system" allows clients to nickel and dime free services from you at will. Then, they can fake dissatisfaction and get their money back.

It's a rotten system. However, if you meet someone there, no one can stop you from taking the relationship outside the system. – more... This is what I recommend. Elance will NOT back you up in any way at any time and will even stop you from closing your account.

Total nightmare, but if you are careful, you can make some good contacts. ALSO- beware of signing NDAs, then being scammed into free advice. This happens about 3x as often a "paying job" -- which could come back to haunt you in more ways than I can count. – less
Great Site For New Freelancers
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), Dexter, KYSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: many different choices
Elance was a wonderful place to start. I have gotten a few jobs and some new experiences.
Excellent place to work at
Independent Programmer (Former Employee), Montevideo, UruguaySeptember 14, 2013
Very nice place to work at, continuous work over time with different clients.
Self-Employed Freelancer
FREELANCE JOURNALISM (Current Employee), Solon, OHSeptember 5, 2013
Great freelancing job, however, the market is saturated. Hard to get good paying jobs for high-skilled intellectual work.
Elance Devalues Your Profession
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), AnywhereAugust 22, 2013
Pros: free
Cons: devalues your profession, inability to make contracts with clients, no control over your work, no control over where or how work is used, waste of time providing free comps, unfair and unethical pricing
Wether you're a graphic designer, programmer or photographer, Elance only devalues your work and services. Don't waste your time with Elance! Unfortunately, all of that hard work, education, skill and years of experience will only be outbid by competitors who live in conditions where a few dollars can afford them much more. Stop devaluing your profession. – more... Stick to fair, ethical practices and pricing. – less
Professional atmosphere with many opportunities.
Photo Editor (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 9, 2013
While it can be difficult to obtain a contract on Elance with many other freelancers who can afford to undercut your proposal, it does provide a wide marketplace of jobs with many varying opportunities.
Scam
Admin Support (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: a lot of postings
Cons: scams
It’s a great platform for freelancers to pick up projects. The problem is a lot of the postings are scam artist. Just be very careful, there are some great clients out there. You can report violations on the website. Please do not be fooled, do not give out your information. The client is supposed to pay Elance then Elance pays you.
scam
MAA (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJune 18, 2013
don't let yourself be fooled by a fake promise. Look at the reviews on their page. do you notice that most of them aren't even from America? Save yourself grief. Don't give out information to this company.
You are not protected
freelancer (Former Employee), the worldApril 26, 2013
Pros: nothin
I was working good for a period of time and I was able to make an excellent reputation a 5/5 stars and then I met 3 con clients that took the work and does not want to pay.

I discover that in elance does not protect or care about freelancers from the process of disbution and laothough there was evidence that I delivered the work throught their site – more... I hardly was able to keep one of the 3 fund into my account while the other two I couldn't they also give me messages that do more pressure on me to give a refund for the clients to avoid bad rating which was true because elance dont give a freelancer give a rate for the client only a useless feedback.

As I said you wont experience these situation until you work with a bad client which sooner or later you will and when you need protection...BOOM you find no protection whatsoever

Also when I do some suggestions and protest about one of their policy they send me a message threaten me that they will close my account !! all these because I expressed my opinion !!

I could not believe myself a previous freelancer warned me now after I experience that myself I know he was right. Now you have been warned too there are other freelancers sites really protect freelancers and more secured than elance which btw their db hacked before with their useless security measures. – less
Online jobs with a flexible schedule
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 24, 2013
I am able to submit jobs online without having to report to an office. I have a flexible schedule of hours needed to complete a project.
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2013
Cons: rude clients
I enjoyed talking to new people and helping their businesses flourish.
WOrk at home with family
Freelancer (Current Employee), Cumberland, MD 21502March 21, 2013
Pros: work from home
Cons: not enough hours
This is a great opportunity to set my own hours and be home with my family. I cannot generate enough hours to sustain a financial living.
a hard learning process
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: independence
bet on a project and wait to be chosen. hard to find a job because people undersell themselves; you finally work hours for a project that will be very little pay. Poor protection from Elance in case of problems with client; you need to know how to protect yourself from fake clients that do not want to pay; how to ask for pay, what services to provide – more... at what rate. – less
Scam
No Response (Former Employee), InternetJanuary 3, 2013
Cons: you pay money to be upgraded
Elance is a scam! Beware. Yo have to pay to be upgraded, most jobs posted don't even exsist.

whos – April 12, 2013

thought this is too good to be true scam and I am not bidding for a job as a freelance data entry clerk

freelance contractor site
administrative assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2012
Pros: lots of job listings
Cons: tons of scammy postings, no benefits
Although this California-based company bills its services as a interactive proposal posting site, their Terms of Service are quite restrictive, including prohibiting "contractors" from moving clients off their platform for two years, and then only by paying a high fee to avoid legal action. There is considerable restriction on how services are delivered. – more... Fees amount to 8.75% of all earnings. Despite their protestations to the contrary, this is a outsourcing job placement service. All work is done on a 1099 model.

That said if you can wade through the multiple "dumpster diving" job posters, there is potential for income on the site. A few "contractors" report earnings in excess of 30K/year. – less
Flexible Work From Home
Freelance Writer/Editor (Former Employee), InternetOctober 9, 2012
This work is one that you can take on as much as you want, whenever you want. This type of work you can do from anywhere since it is internet based. I loved the fact that you set your own hours and ambition drove your success. I love doing this job part time in my free time.

About Elance

Elance is at your service. Formerly a provider of software that businesses used to streamline the way they bought and managed – Read more