Elance Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding but extremely challenging
freelance technologist (Former Employee) –  homeJune 2, 2016
Working for yourself in this type of environment is incredible for your work/life balance, but you are competing against people from around the world. Someone in Malaysia can live off just 10 dollars a day while you may need 10 times that so they can undercut you by wide margins. The only way you can make a true living with this kind of job is by having a much more advanced skill set than the basic computer user.
A company like family
Customer Support Level 1 (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 25, 2016
Employees treat each other as family. A fun environment with continuous learning. Training are properly provided and the management always make sure to know how their employees are with the company.
Pros
Bonus
Flexible Schedule
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 11, 2016
Working for Elance offers a flexible schedule along with a gain in work experience.

It is great working with people from all over the Nation.

Stability in work is an issue. It is hard to keep work coming in after a project ends.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Stability
The ability to work from homw was great while my Kids were young.
Ghost writer/Translator (Current Employee) –  onlineFebruary 13, 2016
Elance gave me the chance to earn a living from the comfort of my home and also helped me learn to compete in an ever growing market.
Many opportunities to work with a variety of skills.
Contract Programmer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 15, 2015
Great opportunity to expand and learn many skills. A great place to improve you communication and video conferencing skills as well.
No way to contact or accountability
writer producer videographer (Former Employee) –  san francisco CASeptember 3, 2015
Elance is okay for finding work but there is no way to contact them when a client hasn't paid. Clients can get bad reviews but then sign up again with another name, especially now that they're changing to Upwork. I'm out over $3000 after trying to get paid for over 3 months of full-time work for a client.
Cons
no way to contact support, can't get paid
Bad experience with Elance
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  HomeJuly 22, 2015
Elance is a great site, for sure. But it seemed like the pay for all of the jobs I bid on and won was very poor. A few of the people I worked with didn't want to pay me over Elance's site and chose to pay me on their own. Unfortunately when that happened the pay was erratically distributed and I'd have to find another person to work for.
its a home based job and it does provide a great opportunity to earn money sitting home
Freelance Web developer (Current Employee) –  PakistanJuly 15, 2015
Each day at Elance is a new experience. An eye opener of how a workforce can divide and unite for the common goal of getting a job done.
A free for all haystack
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 11, 2015
Some may find Elance to be a little less to their liking than others. Finding well paying jobs is up to the individual and your results may vary.
Note: Elance will be closing soon to move everything over to up-work.
Pros
Variety, remote
Cons
finding new clients, applying for projects, uncertain monetary rewards
Seeing The World Differently
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 28, 2015
Pros
Regular Payment. Freebies. No overtime. Unique Career Experience.
Cons
No overtime.
Freelance web designer
WordPress Expert (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 26, 2015
Worked with wordpress mostly on Elance marketplace.
I learned many things while working on Elance. I've got few awesome clients while working on there
Self Employment - Work/Life Balance
Freelance Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2015
Although I enjoy the flexibility of being self employed, the hardest part of the job is scoring a bid. Working with Elance may also provide some challenges with the amount of money the employers are willing to pay in exchange for your services. For the most part I enjoy the company and the platform provided for individuals that would like to move towards self employment.
Great freelancer experience for a novice
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Toano, VaJune 17, 2015
A regular workday consisted of a 12-hour window for monitoring of blog site and reporting findings via online workroom. I learned how to take screenshots on a Microsoft. Being offered the position and completing it with the satisfaction of the customer were the most satisfying aspects of the position.
Pros
Instructions were easy to follow
Cons
needed to unblock cookies to recieve new ads.
My Day with Pan Am
Wrote the closing to the authors novel. (Former Employee) –  Ghost writers - Elance for California.htmlMay 26, 2015
Selling what I loved to do best,Travel. When a flight attendant, there was no challenge, I flew up and flew down and in-between time it was coffee, tea, or me.
As a sales representative, I was responsible for an area in Manhattan of Travel Agencies. keeping them up to date on all our material. New and exciting package deals for their customers to enjoy. Put these deals together like they have never experienced, nor their friends. The most exciting, adventurous, mysterious, relaxing, or should I say something for everyone's appeal. I really loved the personal interactions between T.A., customers, Airlines and ME.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Not traveling
Not a money maker, but can get you some extra scratch.
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2015
Snagging freelance gigs on elance is fine. Getting gigs that pay a living wage is nearly impossible. You can make some extra scratch really easy but you'll never make enough to live on.
Pros
Lets you set your own work schedule.
Cons
You'll be lucky to get a gig that pays more then 1 cent per word.
Freelancer
Freelancer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles,CaliforniaApril 27, 2015
I worked for many clients for all kinds of things from event planning to sales and development! I also created,maintained and administrated for many clients and still do!
Pros
work from hoe
Cons
Clients did not pay on time
Have had trouble with elance
Freelance writer (Current Employee) –  Seward, NEApril 16, 2015
I have had some issues with Elance. I have worked with them for the past over two years and have had trouble. There are a lot of clients that try to screw you over, but I do not necessarily believe Elance is in charge of dealing with that. My issue is that in the past three months I have been blocked twice for no reason and without any responses. I had to threaten to post before it got fixed and sorted out. I love some of the clients and jobs I have gotten on there but feel some things need to change.

I am just curious if anyone would be interested in a new site that is like Elance, but without all of the bad management and issues. Would you join if the fee charged was just 5%? Thanks
Pros
Lots of jobs
Cons
bad management, withholds money earned
More Freedom to choose what to work and when to work
Developer (Former Employee) –  HomeApril 14, 2015
I usually bid project, develop them and deliver it on time. Learnt lots of things over here. Its basically a work from home.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
more time to gain projects than develop
Very good job of matching freelancers with employers and then managing the relationship.
Freelance Grant Writer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 8, 2015
Elance is a very good site for allowing freelancers to specifically find the jobs that best suit their skills. The site is easy to use and allows the freelancer and customer the flexibility of choosing fixed rate or hourly jobs and to change the payment option.
Pros
Specificity of jobs available and tools for managing job.
Cons
Every now and then there are technical problems with the website.
3 Year Old Classroom Teacher Assistant
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FL Work From HomeMarch 23, 2015
Responsibilities include planning and implementing programs for young children. Providing adequate safe equipment and activities for these children daily. Establishing routines that provide positive guidance for young children, as well as communicating with parents and members of the community. Promoting literacy and early education while maintaining and monitoring program budgets.
Pros
i loved the atmosphere