Elance

Elance Employer Reviews

Be wary of this company
Freeamcer (Current Employee), Home officeDecember 12, 2014
Pros: job listings
Cons: poor customer service, poor communocation, account suspsension for no good reason
I have been Freelancing for over 20 years, and worked through another site for 10. I joined Elance in 2013 and what a nightmare! I have a great reputation, and people hire me because I can do what most can't.

Last month my profile was 'suspended' for no reason, suddenly. Elance put a hold on $1500 of mine that was in my account. I had to file a BBB – more... report to get my account reopened and get my money. This outfit is run by dishonest, incompetent people.

Then, I was hired for a Business Consultation by a man in Canada. He paid me, and I gave him the Consultation. As it turns out he was using someone else's Elance account. They did nothing to him and suspended my account again because I would not mediate with them. This 'client' was a scam artist and Elance ignored my messages about him.

The Customer service department is outsourced to India and the Philippines. Absolutely a night mare working with the management of this company trying to get my account restored and my money back.

They should be shut down, in my opinion. – less
Great job board to work off of
Virtual Assistant (Current Employee), OnlineNovember 3, 2014
They provide a great work/life balance with all the different jobs for people looking to work from home.
Shocked! Elance was great until...
Writer/Editor (Former Employee), Online - WorldwideOctober 27, 2014
Pros: good clients, good jobs, flexibility of working from home.
Cons: elance corporate support - unreasonable, unreliable, shady
I loved Elance. Someone recommended I upgrade by switching from oDesk to Elance. I did so in June of 2013 and began securing contracts through them. I loved having my own business, the flexibility. I was able to find good clients who communicated well and paid promptly.

Then suddenly, on 9/29 this year, I received notice from them that my account was – more... under review and suspended for the time being, citing "Work performance below average." I thought for sure it was in error since I have a consistent 5.0 out of 5.0 rating with great feedback. I started writing to them to try to understand why I was suspended. The first week, all I received were auto-replies. I spent three weeks communicating with them. Never once did I receive any more explanation other than "your feedback rating is not all we consider in determining customer satisfaction." I requested to know what other factors might be involved. I never received any details, and finally they just closed my account. I was right in the middle of a contract, and I was nearly finished with a 30,000 word novella, the third in a series.

Despite them saying that I had no redress at that point, I wrote to them pointing out that it was unconscionable for them to judge my client satisfaction by some standard of which I had no knowledge. I had combed their policies to ensure that I wasn't missing something, but no. Immediately they wrote and asked me for patience while they reviewed me yet again. I requested that I be allowed to at least submit and get paid for the novella I had just completed out of fairness to both my client and myself as I was on deadline. They stopped communicating with me and my account remains closed.

As this was my sole source of income at the time, it was extremely distressing to me.

TWO THINGS: In the course of this, I called their customer service and was told that they were doing a mandated audit. My question: did they just have a quota of accounts they had to close to prove due diligence? Also, in researching, I found a complaint on Yelp from someone who had worked for their sister site, oDesk, and had an experience identical to mine where they were never given any explanations whatsoever. – less
No Place for Creatives with Ethics or Pride
Freelance Content Writer/Editor (Current Employee), Work from HomeOctober 10, 2014
Pros: lots of jobs offered daily
Cons: no corporate support for the freelancers, you end up paying to bid on jobs.
Clients are screened very well and they should be rated by freelancers. Some of the clients will give you a run around because they don't know what they want and some are practically illiterate. Some of the clients think writers and editors are like slaves that they can boss around endlessly, requesting revisions in the same manner. Other clients work – more... you to death and never acknowledge your hard work and effort. It's a crazy place. You'll feel undervalued and overworked almost immediately. This is not a good place for truly creative people with a sense of morals, ethics or pride in their work. – less
Scam City
Freelancer (Former Employee), USAugust 5, 2014
Cons: scams
Elance does nothing to protect freelancers from scam artists. I worked with a client who was verified by Elance. The payments were supposed to be guaranteed by Elance. Work View was set up, and I was filling in timesheets. Later, I saw that the job was delisted on Elance and all of my hours were erased. I questioned Elance about the client and received – more... no response. I put in a lot of hard work for this client and wrote great pieces for them, only to find out that it was all for nothing. The client scammed me and many other freelancers, removed their Elance account, and disappeared, and was allowed to do this by Elance. No more contacts through Skype, nothing. When I questioned the client about what happened, they instructed me that their bank card was being reissued by their bank so they could not pay me. Still, they asked me to do more work for them. I of course refused and told them no more work would be completed until I was paid... no response. Elance harbors scam artists. I will never again accept anymore work from any client on Elance. Ridiculous. What they did was criminal and I should be able to sue for what happened. – less
Flexible Hours
Freelance Research Analyst / Remote Admin Support (Former Employee), United StatesJuly 25, 2014
Pros: flexible time
Cons: not stable
In Elance, you have the opportunity to work at home and still earn money. There are different works in Elance which you can choose from and learn new things. Each client will assign you different tasks. The management is good because you are at peace that you will be paid on time. We don't have any co-workers because we work at home. The hardest part – more... of the job is that it is not as stable as to compare to a regular job. The most enjoyable part of this job is you have more time with your family while earning at home. – less
the portal of blackmailers
Web developer (Current Employee), nothingJune 19, 2014
trust me , this not the fair system , that is portal of blackmailers , the client give basic requirements , the stupid system not support you , there is nothing in this , The dispute is drama and ARB is just to earn the money , even the ARB will not take interest in case and dont know what was project and what is done , stupid ever system ,
Terrible, a scam
CEO MG Web Development (Former Employee), Boone, NCJune 17, 2014
Terrible Experience, I am currently in a dispute with a Pakistan man who says I owe him $160 for marketing my website services. He sent me pictures of Miss Arab USA 2014. Elance says he did the work in good faith so I owe him the money. Elance just wants a share of my money. Needless to say I won't be returning.
Flexible work for any schedule
Writing and Administrative Support Freelancer (Current Employee), Lebanon, paJune 1, 2014
Elance.com provides a connection between clients and freelancers. The types of opportunities available are vast - everything from simple data entry/administrative jobs to complex software coding. Some jobs require that freelancers be located in the same area as the client, because they require office visits, but for the most part, all jobs can be done – more... from anywhere in the world. – less
Definitely Not Steady Employment
Entrepreneur (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAMay 27, 2014
Pros: money from home
Cons: very unstable payment wise
I've been working through Elance for nearly a year now, and although some jobs pay out very well, some do not. Plus it's a game of 'hope'. Because of the fact that it's a bidding war, so to speak, you never know if you're going to get hired for a job or not. It could be a couple of weeks before somebody 'picks' you, or you could have so many bids out – more... at once, and then get 'picked' by several people at a time, which leads to overload on your part. That is my reason for a low score on Job Security. Another reason for that is because you never know when you're going to get paid. If you need money for the weekend - you have to get hired, you have to do the work, get paid AND initiate a withdrawal by Wednesday at the latest. Otherwise, it could be a week before Elance decides to release the money to you. Yes, you heard that right. Even though on their website, it says that "Transaction processing generally take 1-2 days" (that's a direct copy/paste from their website), what they ACTUALLY mean is that it takes 1-2 BUSINESS days. So if you do the work, your client pays you and you initiate a withdrawal on Thursday or Friday, chances are that you won't get paid until Monday or Tuesday. As far as their management, I gave a low score for that because the first couple of times that I called, I was told that they did not have supervisors. That is not the case. They indeed do, but they're not willing to speak with anyone. I'm also constantly being told that when it comes to payment release, there's nobody in that department who can help you because they don't have 'outside lines'. No joke - that's what I was told. Also, they use a credit system. You're given so many 'connects' to be a free member (10 I think), but I am a paid member, so not only do I pay Elance every month (on time, by the way), if I want to bid on more jobs (if my connects run out), I have to pay for more. To me, it's worth it because I have developed good relationships with some clients, so they come back for repeat work, which doesn't cost any connects. See, if the client invites you, it doesn't cost anything. But if you're out there bidding on jobs, it costs you 1 or 2 connects, based on the type of job. So overall, if you're looking to earn some extra money, and if your payments can be totally sporadic, this is a great way to earn it. If you're looking for a good income with steady work, unless you have a great skill that most people don't have, I'd find a regular job. I hope that helps in your decision to join Elance. Of course, you can always join for free to test the waters, and see where things go from there. – less
Great for online work
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), New York, New YorkMay 14, 2014
Great place to work if you are looking for an online job you can do from home.

I learned how to work with Photoshop.

My co-worker was great. We worked together on projects and consulted one another on drafts for feedback.

The hardest part of the job was bidding for projects as Elance put in place a paywall for viewing current bids.

The most enjoyable – more... part of the job was that I could sit and work. – less
RUN! ELANCE = A HUGE SCAM
Freelancer in Language Services (Former Employee), BerlinApril 1, 2014
Pros: not enough
Cons: fraud plus elance is against the freelancer through what they do
My experience with Elance is abominable. In theory online freelancing should work fine. But Elance offers no protection to the freelancer. On the contrary, they protect scams and fraudulent clients and threaten and try to exploit the same person who happened to fall victim to scams through their site.

Run, stay away from this disgusting site. Their – more... policies and their behavior are totally unprofessional. Don't let yourself be fooled, they make lots of money out of the freelancer's bids and offer absolutely nothing in exchange. Not that you, as a freelancer, needed anything different from some minimal protection and intervention.

I do not recommend this site to anyone. Not even to my worst enemies. What happens there is repelling and a mockery of the idea or work and collaboration. Let alone work ethics. – less
freelance
Freelance Journalist, Editor, Voice-over talent (Current Employee), homeFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: guaranteed pay, time tracker
Cons: employee is on as needed basis
Elance is a great company, but it's freelance and freelance is never guarantee so the low scores are because there are no real benefits and no real set income. But if you need quick cash and have the skills, elance is a great place to start.
ELance Experience
Freelance Designer (Current Employee), TelecommuteDecember 2, 2013
Allows me to find telecommuting contract jobs with flexibility. Competetion with outsourcing companies makes it difficult to make a decent income. I love being able to design and finish projects for individuals.
Perfect life vs work balance
Freelance Accountant (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 29, 2013
Excellent opportunities, many openings. I get to work on different projects. Great place to work with
Great online networking resource for freelancers
Freelance Ghostwriter (Current Employee), OnlineOctober 29, 2013
Elance was a great tool to help me express my creativity and make some extra money to support myself through college.
Great Site For New Freelancers
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), Dexter, KYSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: many different choices
Elance was a wonderful place to start. I have gotten a few jobs and some new experiences.
Self-Employed Freelancer
FREELANCE JOURNALISM (Current Employee), Solon, OHSeptember 5, 2013
Great freelancing job, however, the market is saturated. Hard to get good paying jobs for high-skilled intellectual work.
Professional atmosphere with many opportunities.
Photo Editor (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 9, 2013
While it can be difficult to obtain a contract on Elance with many other freelancers who can afford to undercut your proposal, it does provide a wide marketplace of jobs with many varying opportunities.
Scam
Admin Support (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: a lot of postings
Cons: scams
It’s a great platform for freelancers to pick up projects. The problem is a lot of the postings are scam artist. Just be very careful, there are some great clients out there. You can report violations on the website. Please do not be fooled, do not give out your information. The client is supposed to pay Elance then Elance pays you.

About Elance

eLance, Inc. is a web platform that helps businesses connect with freelancers and remote teams on a project basis. The site also – Read more