Elance Employee Reviews in United States

More Freedom to choose what to work and when to work
Developer (Former Employee) –  HomeApril 14, 2015
I usually bid project, develop them and deliver it on time. Learnt lots of things over here. Its basically a work from home.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
more time to gain projects than develop
Flexible Hours
Freelance Research Analyst / Remote Admin Support (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 25, 2014
In Elance, you have the opportunity to work at home and still earn money. There are different works in Elance which you can choose from and learn new things. Each client will assign you different tasks. The management is good because you are at peace that you will be paid on time. We don't have any co-workers because we work at home. The hardest part of the job is that it is not as stable as to compare to a regular job. The most enjoyable part of this job is you have more time with your family while earning at home.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
not stable
Excellent compnay to work for
Writer (Current Employee) –  Content, PAJanuary 16, 2015
A typical day at work is getting busy ghostwriting or proofreading an offered document, completing it, and returning it to the employer with corrections and suggestions.
Pros
i get to show my talents in many different writing genres
Cons
there is much competition for each job
Flexible work for any schedule
Writing and Administrative Support Freelancer (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, paJune 1, 2014
Elance.com provides a connection between clients and freelancers. The types of opportunities available are vast - everything from simple data entry/administrative jobs to complex software coding. Some jobs require that freelancers be located in the same area as the client, because they require office visits, but for the most part, all jobs can be done from anywhere in the world.
Great for online work
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkMay 14, 2014
Great place to work if you are looking for an online job you can do from home.

I learned how to work with Photoshop.

My co-worker was great. We worked together on projects and consulted one another on drafts for feedback.

The hardest part of the job was bidding for projects as Elance put in place a paywall for viewing current bids.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I could sit and work.
Elance Devalues Your Profession
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  AnywhereAugust 22, 2013
Wether you're a graphic designer, programmer or photographer, Elance only devalues your work and services. Don't waste your time with Elance! Unfortunately, all of that hard work, education, skill and years of experience will only be outbid by competitors who live in conditions where a few dollars can afford them much more. Stop devaluing your profession. Stick to fair, ethical practices and pricing.
Pros
free
Cons
devalues your profession, inability to make contracts with clients, no control over your work, no control over where or how work is used, waste of time providing free comps, unfair and unethical pricing
Very easy way to make great money doing what you love.
Freelance Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 21, 2014
I have been a member of Elance for a short time, but have had fun working with two separate publishers in creating great novels. I have and will continue to recommend this site to people who are looking for a little extra cash.
freelance contractor site
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2012
Although this California-based company bills its services as a interactive proposal posting site, their Terms of Service are quite restrictive, including prohibiting "contractors" from moving clients off their platform for two years, and then only by paying a high fee to avoid legal action. There is considerable restriction on how services are delivered. Fees amount to 8.75% of all earnings. Despite their protestations to the contrary, this is a outsourcing job placement service. All work is done on a 1099 model.

That said if you can wade through the multiple "dumpster diving" job posters, there is potential for income on the site. A few "contractors" report earnings in excess of 30K/year.
Pros
lots of job listings
Cons
tons of scammy postings, no benefits
a hard learning process
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 26, 2013
bet on a project and wait to be chosen. hard to find a job because people undersell themselves; you finally work hours for a project that will be very little pay. Poor protection from Elance in case of problems with client; you need to know how to protect yourself from fake clients that do not want to pay; how to ask for pay, what services to provide at what rate.
Pros
independence
the portal of blackmailers
Web developer (Current Employee) –  nothingJune 19, 2014
trust me , this not the fair system , that is portal of blackmailers , the client give basic requirements , the stupid system not support you , there is nothing in this , The dispute is drama and ARB is just to earn the money , even the ARB will not take interest in case and dont know what was project and what is done , stupid ever system ,
Excellent Job Platform for Freelance Contractors
Freelance Contractor (Current Employee) –  Metro ManilaAugust 16, 2012
I have been with Elance for a couple of months now and I really find this job platform very helpful. They have a fair and realistic policies in place to secure a smooth working relationship between the client and the freelancer.
Pros
tons of job openings
Cons
only has 15 connects per month to use for job application
Scam
Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2013
It’s a great platform for freelancers to pick up projects. The problem is a lot of the postings are scam artist. Just be very careful, there are some great clients out there. You can report violations on the website. Please do not be fooled, do not give out your information. The client is supposed to pay Elance then Elance pays you.
Pros
a lot of postings
Cons
scams
Very Laid back relaxed enviroment
AppleOne Temporary Service (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 20, 2014
Elance has job postings for different companies so you apply on Elance but the company you chose hires you and Elance pays you every week on Wednesday.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no long term jobs and no benefits
freelance
Freelance Journalist, Editor, Voice-over talent (Current Employee) –  homeFebruary 25, 2014
Elance is a great company, but it's freelance and freelance is never guarantee so the low scores are because there are no real benefits and no real set income. But if you need quick cash and have the skills, elance is a great place to start.
Pros
guaranteed pay, time tracker
Cons
employee is on as needed basis
Terrible, a scam
CEO MG Web Development (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 17, 2014
Terrible Experience, I am currently in a dispute with a Pakistan man who says I owe him $160 for marketing my website services. He sent me pictures of Miss Arab USA 2014. Elance says he did the work in good faith so I owe him the money. Elance just wants a share of my money. Needless to say I won't be returning.
Run! Elance = a huge scam
Freelancer in Language Services (Former Employee) –  BerlinApril 1, 2014
My experience with Elance is abominable. In theory online freelancing should work fine. But Elance offers no protection to the freelancer. On the contrary, they protect scams and fraudulent clients and threaten and try to exploit the same person who happened to fall victim to scams through their site.

Run, stay away from this disgusting site. Their policies and their behavior are totally unprofessional. Don't let yourself be fooled, they make lots of money out of the freelancer's bids and offer absolutely nothing in exchange. Not that you, as a freelancer, needed anything different from some minimal protection and intervention.

I do not recommend this site to anyone. Not even to my worst enemies. What happens there is repelling and a mockery of the idea or work and collaboration. Let alone work ethics.
Pros
not enough
Cons
fraud plus elance is against the freelancer through what they do
...
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GADecember 29, 2014
Good if you are looking to supplement your income, but work is not guaranteed. Don't be deceived by employer stating they have more work to follow, but after you complete a job for them, they actually have nothing.
Flexible Work From Home
Freelance Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  InternetOctober 9, 2012
This work is one that you can take on as much as you want, whenever you want. This type of work you can do from anywhere since it is internet based. I loved the fact that you set your own hours and ambition drove your success. I love doing this job part time in my free time.
Professional atmosphere with many opportunities.
Photo Editor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2013
While it can be difficult to obtain a contract on Elance with many other freelancers who can afford to undercut your proposal, it does provide a wide marketplace of jobs with many varying opportunities.
Be wary of this company
Freeamcer (Current Employee) –  Home officeDecember 12, 2014
I have been Freelancing for over 20 years, and worked through another site for 10. I joined Elance in 2013 and what a nightmare! I have a great reputation, and people hire me because I can do what most can't.

Last month my profile was 'suspended' for no reason, suddenly. Elance put a hold on $1500 of mine that was in my account. I had to file a BBB report to get my account reopened and get my money. This outfit is run by dishonest, incompetent people.

Then, I was hired for a Business Consultation by a man in Canada. He paid me, and I gave him the Consultation. As it turns out he was using someone else's Elance account. They did nothing to him and suspended my account again because I would not mediate with them. This 'client' was a scam artist and Elance ignored my messages about him.

The Customer service department is outsourced to India and the Philippines. Absolutely a night mare working with the management of this company trying to get my account restored and my money back.

They should be shut down, in my opinion.
Pros
Job listings
Cons
Poor customer service, poor communocation, account suspsension for no good reason

Comment – December 31, 1969

Found an illegal job posting on this site on Thursday- someone wanted to hire a hacker to get into another website. Elance 'job' postings are 99 percent scams. I called the company that was the target of the hack and reported Elance for offering that on their site. They don't verify buyers. It's another Craigs's list with a sinister tone to it. Stay away.