Elance

Elance Employer Reviews

WOrk at home with family
Freelancer (Current Employee), Cumberland, MD 21502March 21, 2013
Pros: work from home
Cons: not enough hours
This is a great opportunity to set my own hours and be home with my family. I cannot generate enough hours to sustain a financial living.
a hard learning process
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: independence
bet on a project and wait to be chosen. hard to find a job because people undersell themselves; you finally work hours for a project that will be very little pay. Poor protection from Elance in case of problems with client; you need to know how to protect yourself from fake clients that do not want to pay; how to ask for pay, what services to provide – more... at what rate. – less
Scam
No Response (Former Employee), InternetJanuary 3, 2013
Cons: you pay money to be upgraded
Elance is a scam! Beware. Yo have to pay to be upgraded, most jobs posted don't even exsist.

April 12, 2013

thought this is too good to be true scam and I am not bidding for a job as a freelance data entry clerk

freelance contractor site
administrative assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 11, 2012
Pros: lots of job listings
Cons: tons of scammy postings, no benefits
Although this California-based company bills its services as a interactive proposal posting site, their Terms of Service are quite restrictive, including prohibiting "contractors" from moving clients off their platform for two years, and then only by paying a high fee to avoid legal action. There is considerable restriction on how services are delivered. – more... Fees amount to 8.75% of all earnings. Despite their protestations to the contrary, this is a outsourcing job placement service. All work is done on a 1099 model.

That said if you can wade through the multiple "dumpster diving" job posters, there is potential for income on the site. A few "contractors" report earnings in excess of 30K/year. – less
Flexible Work From Home
Freelance Writer/Editor (Former Employee), InternetOctober 9, 2012
This work is one that you can take on as much as you want, whenever you want. This type of work you can do from anywhere since it is internet based. I loved the fact that you set your own hours and ambition drove your success. I love doing this job part time in my free time.
freelancing
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), Colorado SpringsSeptember 30, 2012
great place for freelancers of all backgrounds. the best part is the flexibility. the worst is the rating system. it seems a bit flawed
Excellent Job Platform for Freelance Contractors
Freelance Contractor (Current Employee), Metro ManilaAugust 16, 2012
Pros: tons of job openings
Cons: only has 15 connects per month to use for job application
I have been with Elance for a couple of months now and I really find this job platform very helpful. They have a fair and realistic policies in place to secure a smooth working relationship between the client and the freelancer.

December 7, 2012

And you are all satisfied with what they are paying you? I haven't made $7 an hour since it was minimum wage years ago. If I read it right, they aren't even paying you 4 cents a line. Surely you can find better.

Great way to keep busy
Freelance Editor/Business Consultant (Current Employee), Multiple locationsMay 7, 2014
I love working at my own pace. Its nice to be able to assisnt in different areas of working. From editing to analysis to business consulting.
freelance work
Part time Virtual Admin support Freelancer (Current Employee), virtual, work from homeJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: freelance, you work at your own time
Cons: you need alot of work to instill trust
The job instills personal discipline as you have to set your targets and achieve them yourself.
You also have to give a high quality of work in order to get a good feedback and also attract more clients to award you jobs
Just awful
Freelancer (Current Employee), Over internetOctober 26, 2013
Pros: can meet contacts for freelance work
Cons: can fall victim to abusive and manipulative clients
Be prepared to get taken for the nastiest, bitterest ride of your life. The "milestone system" allows clients to nickel and dime free services from you at will. Then, they can fake dissatisfaction and get their money back.

It's a rotten system. However, if you meet someone there, no one can stop you from taking the relationship outside the system. – more... This is what I recommend. Elance will NOT back you up in any way at any time and will even stop you from closing your account.

Total nightmare, but if you are careful, you can make some good contacts. ALSO- beware of signing NDAs, then being scammed into free advice. This happens about 3x as often a "paying job" -- which could come back to haunt you in more ways than I can count. – less
Elance is a fantastic online platform for the eager freelancing writer.
Freelance Writer & Editor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 25, 2013
Elance is a fantastic online platform for the eager freelancing writer, it offers an amazing variety of work projects and opportunities and the benefits that come from creating new and profitable work contacts and acquaintances.
Excellent place to work at
Independent Programmer (Former Employee), Montevideo, UruguaySeptember 14, 2013
Very nice place to work at, continuous work over time with different clients.

About Elance

eLance, Inc. is a web platform that helps businesses connect with freelancers and remote teams on a project basis. The site also – Read more