ELDER-BEERMAN

ELDER-BEERMAN Employer Reviews

Good Starting Out Retail Position
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Morgantown, West VirginiaJune 20, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: compensation, benefits, not enough hours
Learned how to use a cashier, count the drawer, and check out customers. Management and coworkers were okay. Hardest part was dealing with rude customers/coworkers. More relaxed than a food service job.
Slower paced department store with lower end fashions.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Coldwater, MIMarch 25, 2014
If you are a young woman, this is not the store for you. This store caters to more older adults, and they usually are not too happy with young ladies helping them.
Management had no idea what they were doing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Philadelphia OhioMarch 24, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: bad management, bad scheduling
I worked for Elder Beerman for the holiday season as a temporary associate.
I have never met more unprofessional managers in my life. When asking questions you were made to feel stupid. Once I called the MOD to get change for a register and was told "That's not my problem".
The HR manager would never return phone calls or emails about my end date and – more... after not scheduling me for two weeks I decided to not come back in.
The coupon rules are all but ridiculous over anything.
I would never work there again or shop there. – less
Shoe Crazy
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Vienna, WVMarch 10, 2014
While working at Elder-Beerman I worked strictly in the shoe department. It was mostly a busy time. The co-workers were wonderful. I learned a lot as in dealing with clientell. Hardest part of the job was the customer service. You always had to make sure they were satisfied.
Productive and able to interact with customers.
Sales Associate/Shipping/Receiving (Former Employee), Midland, MIFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: interacting with customers.
Sales Associate Shipping and receiving Sales Floor Departments, Men’s, Children’s, shoes, and Home Goods. Typical day at work was always busy. I learned a lot about retail. Management was fun to get along with. The co-workers were really nice. The hardest part was trying to work in each area when asked. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting – more... with the customers. – less
A good place to work with attention to detail.
Assistant Area Sales Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, OHJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: guaranteed lunches, allowed a break.
Cons: not enough people to work areas.
A typical day at work consisted of getting departmental signage set for the upcoming sale, straightening of departments, greeting customers, and marking down clearance items.
Enjoy working there, they are very nice and I like the work overall.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Zanesville, OHOctober 25, 2013
Pros: helping customers, free food at certain times, nice co-workers, incentives like money for credit cards, gifts for selling certain things.
Cons: standing long hours, no advancement and want more hours, i am only allowed 1, 000 hrs in a year.
Depending on what shift I work, I open registers, I set the sales, greet the customers and do cashiering duties. I also ask if customers have our credit cards and sign them up for one if they want. We also take donations for charities, at times. If we do not have item in store, we can order through our registers and have item sent to their home. We – more... check dressing rooms every half hour and mark off. Put away returns (after taking the returns). We also take payments for the store credit cards. We keep our areas clean and straightened. We put away merchandise that comes in on truck.
If we close we count and balance registers, lock doors, clean and straighten, put equipment away and shut off lights. – less
enjoyed, but long hours
Department Manager - Retail Sales (Former Employee), Centerville, OhioSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: discounts, meeting people, solving problems, merchandising
Cons: long, hard hours, on feet up to 14 hour days
I started in sales, in the Women's Coat Department and at the end of my employment, I had advanced to Supervisor over
Bridal, Regency (high end fashion clothing), all Women's Clothing Departments (Juniors, Women's, etc.)
fun place to work
Visual (Current Employee), West VirginiaSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: fairly laid back environment. doesnt feel like "work"
Highly recommend this company. Compensation is fair, hours are great, management is outstanding.
Great Management
Associate (Current Employee), Defiance, OHSeptember 14, 2013
Elder-Beerman is a really great place to work. They have encouraging management that will always build you up. The hardest part of my job is the lack of work sometimes. It can get boring and I like to always have something to do!
Exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Vienna, WVAugust 30, 2013
At Elder-Beerman, I am responsible for checking out customers at the register, checking fitting rooms, completing markdowns, setting sales, and balancing my cash drawer at store close. I have only worked here for about a month and a half so I am still learning, and have great co-workers who always help me when I have a question.
Productive work environment
Stock Room Employee (Former Employee), Danville, ILJuly 27, 2013
As a stock room associate, we were constantly busy. Every morning we would unload the truck and have to sort all the merchandise in those boxes. While doing that we also had to be on the selling floor to assist anyone who may need us. Also we were responsible for rearranging the selling floor and putting up shelving. We all got along great and had fun – more... working. – less
Very relaxed environment
Selling Supervisor (Current Employee), PaducahJuly 12, 2013
Pros: relaxed
Cons: low pay
Very relaxing,
easy to learn job duties,
fun environment,
low stress,
good managers,
room for advancement
Retail What can I say.
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee), Winfield, WV and Huntington, WVJuly 1, 2013
Pros: great benefits and work life ratio for retail ompany
Cons: not enough staff at the store level to ensure proper customer service standards.
Bonton Inc is a great company. But like any great company it is only as good as the individuals you come into contact with.
it was a good job but with very little hours and no advancing in the company
Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Jackson, MIApril 29, 2013
Pros: learned about security tagging of merchandise
Cons: no health care or advancing in the company
would of liked to stay with company if the money or hours would of increased trained the warehouse manager how to perform his job and didnt get any knowledge or appreciation for the training I unloaded the trucks open up the boxes of products foe fellow employees to tag or fold to ship out to the sales floor once a week because thats all we were aloud – more... to do anly worked 5 hours a week – less
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jackson, MIApril 5, 2013
You become very close with your crew, the managers and customers.
Decent People But You Are Worked to Death
Retail Sales Specialist/Cosmetic Beauty Advisor (Former Employee), Dayton, OhioJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: fun people and a decently small area to cover
Cons: not being compensated for the work you are doing
The starting pay isn't minimum wage but they will work you anywhere and everywhere and not pay you for it. I had previously worked in cosmetics making more hourly plus getting commission. The had me working almost every shift in the cosmetic department yet I was making a lower hourly and not getting commission and they didn't want me to hand off my – more... sales because they didn't want to pay out that commission. Like all retail credit is a push but nothing too awful. – less
It was a fun place to work
Receiving Associate/shoe stock (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: short breaks, too many managers
A typical day at work was coming in very early to unload a 53 foot truck and then get the merchandise ready to put onto the floor. After about 8 months there, they moved me to shoe stock to put the shoes away after the truck was done which took a lot of time. I had many co-workers with varied backgrounds. My direct manager's, I had one for receiving – more... and one for shoe stock, were great. They were very flexible and gave precise instructions. The hardest part of the job was keeping the shoe stock room organized and clean. There are so many shoes and sales associates run back and forth grabbing shoes for customers and didn't always put them back right, therefore it caused a lot of work. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my co-workers and talking with my receiving manager about life challenges and experiences. – less
Well enough place to work.
Unloader/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ashland, KYDecember 16, 2012
The company like any others has its downsides to being employed at, but seemed to lack the lack of preparation that larger companies such as Wal-mart have.
Productive, Easy going place to work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Parkersburg, WVOctober 15, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule to work around school
Cons: hours for position worked
Typical day- straighten department, customer first, replinish stock if available

What I have learned- no matter what type of task is being worked on, whenever there is a customer all attention needs to be turned toward sthem

Management is easy to get along with, very understanding and very clear when they ask for tasks to be completed.

Co-workers – more... in my departement are easy to get along with and work hard.

Hardest part of the job is seeing others who do not want to work, when i work hard all the time no matter what.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the flexible schedule. – less

About ELDER-BEERMAN

Elder-Beerman is part of the The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc., a regional department store operator in the United States, offering an – Read more

ELDER-BEERMAN Photos