Elder-Beerman Employee Reviews in United States

Loved working with the public and helping women with their beauty and cosmetic needs.
COUNTER MANAGER FOR ESTEE LAUDER (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHMay 29, 2016
it is a great company, It paid fairly well and was consistant with hours and the employees worked well together as a team.
Pros
great work environment and great team
Cons
difficult hours for a family
Slow and nonconstructive tasks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHMay 5, 2016
Elder Beerman was a very slow work environment with very few customers a day. Management was good, yet gave us irrelevant tasks to do to fit corporate standard but not the layout of our store.
Pros
Fun coworkers and nice merchandise
Cons
Setting up credit cards was a must
A very small store with a loyal customer base
Home Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHMay 5, 2016
I didn't enjoy my job at EB for various reasons which I don't want to disclose. For the most part the crew works hard and the pay is okay for a department store. They also give good discounts to employees from time to time.
Loss Prevention (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaMay 2, 2016
Management within the store is great considering the large work load and lack of associate payroll in their departments.
Cooperate seems like they need to get on the same page. They don't really seem like they're running the company very well. They also have extremely high expectations for the store while not allowing the hours necessary.
Pros
Everyone in the store is nice to work with.
Cons
Cooperate expectations are too high.
Not that great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 30, 2016
In the almost two years I have worked there I have only ever received a 10 cent raise. The parent company (Bon-Ton) has already delayed the possibility of raises for all employees to November citing the warm winter caused low sales of cold weather merchandise.
Some days I stand around have nothing to do and hardly any customers. Other days I am expected to change all the signs in a very large department and wait on customers and get it all done while being the only person scheduled in my department.
Pros
Nice supervisors, Good employee discount
Cons
Low pay, inconsistent hours
Great group of people to work with and for.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVApril 15, 2016
As with all retail settings, you are busy one minute and scrambling around for 20, but that's part of the fun of retail! I have learned to be more independent, made more executive decisions, and have learned to execute plans in a timely manner. The manager I hired in under was a great mentor and my co-workers are like family! I have formed some lasting friendships here!. The hardest part of the job is employee discipline. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and developing customer relationships.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Nights & Weekends
productive
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYApril 11, 2016
Keeping area neat and dressing rooms clear. Worked with nice people. Customers could be rude at times though. Registers weren't too hard.
Pros
nice people
Cons
rude customers
Fast place work days
Sales Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 5, 2016
Unload trucks and load trucks. Set sales and prepared trucks for vendor accommodations. General maintenance and up keep.
Pros
Fixable hours
Cons
Work week hour where unpredictable.
Sales associate,customer service
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHApril 5, 2016
Would run register, greet customers, informs customers about sales or upcoming events. Also work in stock room processing inventory.
Productive and comfortable work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 15, 2016
I learned how to use a cash register when working at elderbeerman. I helped many customers and they loved me. I got along with all of the customers and my co workers. I did every task my boss wanted me to do. Everyday at work I would fold clothes, put clothes out, fold up tables and take them in the back, break down boxes, cleaned up my area, and helped customers. I never missed a day or work, I was always on time, I always took my lunch breaks for exactly 30 minutes because that's what our lunch time was. There wasn't a hard part of the job honestly besides my feet always hurting but that was okay with me. I enjoyed helping people and making people happy. I loved when elders would come into work and would ask me for help and compliment me on my performance.
Pros
Friendly customers and co workers, enough time for lunch, I enjoyed what my job required me to do, and I was happy with my job.
Cons
Having sore feet. Thats honestly all the cons I can think of.
Retail Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 11, 2016
There is such a diverse group of people and management that it would be difficult to know who you relate best with. Sometimes they will have big sales that include the employee discount. Family time very difficult with the inconsistent schedules.
Pros
Chic Fil A close for the half hour lunches
well ran store
Sales Manager, (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHMarch 3, 2016
The work environment was great. The hardest part of the job was working tons of hours through the holiday season. There was a sense of "team" work involved.
Pros
great healthcare
Cons
Holiday hours
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 25, 2016
Let's just say, it would sadden me tremendously if I had to leave this job. I go in, I get right to work, and except for a few days, I am busy from start to finish. There is something to do always, even if it is simply re-ticketing shoes. I get exercise as an extra benefit as well. Co-workers all help each other. The hardest part about this job, is stopping for the day. I never seem to leave on time. The most enjoyable part is that I find myself adding, subtracting, using percentages, thinking about numbers all day long, From shoe sizes, to how much it cost with a discount. Love it here!
Pros
Benefits even as a part time employee, coworkers, management, discounts, great clothing at major reduced pricing most days
Hard work with Demanding Customers
Short Staff/Part Time (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 19, 2016
Get ready! This retail work environment is not easy. Plus, various sale changes with coupon exemptions does not make this job an easy one. You will learn a lot if you stay focused and know who to talk to. Lunches are 30 minutes or 45 minutes (subject to be changed by management at any time), so bring your lunch.
Pros
Keeping a positive attitude and minding your personal business should benefit you.
Cons
The pay is really low and work hours are not "family friendly."
enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHJanuary 3, 2016
provided customer service stocked shelves and ran the cash registers. I learned how to run a register. co-workers were fun and helpful. management was family friendly. the hardest part of my job was dealing with night hours. the most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers
Pros
company discount
Cons
late hours
Not so great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alliance, OHDecember 18, 2015
I enjoyed it at first, but overall I did not find it an enjoyable places to work. The management treats you like dirt, they work you like your full time but you get no benefits, and you are never appreciated for what you do.
Pros
Not much, great relationships with coworkers and customers
Cons
The management, the pay, the hours
Fun atmosphere
Customer oriented and sales driven accomplishments (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYNovember 13, 2015
Great people to work with, fun challenges with incentives, fast-paced environment, good management, exceptional training, up to date technology.
Professional and comfortble work enviroment.
Cosmetic Consultant/ Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Piqua, OHNovember 4, 2015
Enjoyable work environment and pace. You learned how to better communicate with customers and solve problems faster. Average management. The hardest part of my job is trying to recruit new clients. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to figure out just what the customer needs a knowing that they will really enjoy it.
Pros
30-45 minute lunch breaks, paid 15 minute breaks, 20% off.
Cons
Unassured hours
Great Co-workers, poor management with low pay
Clinique (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 26, 2015
I was in a cosmetic selling position. It was a fun atmosphere (with co-workers) however, the store management is never on the same page. Rules and expectations were constantly being changed, making it more and more difficult to meet your sales goal. It was as if they want you to fail. The store is run by an egotistical crazy man, with absolutely no respect for employees. The harder you work, the worst they treat you. Expect very few weekends off. At one time I went from November to March with one weekend off and from then until June when I needed three weekends off between June and July. I was told this was too many requests. On your annual review, don't expect more than a .20 raise as the maximum despite how hard you worked or if you met their expectations.. Also if you're applying for cosmetics, don't think your only black out dates are GWP's. Bon-ton runs ridiculous sales all throughout the year and there are tons of black out dates, and don't forget the holiday season, this is a perfect job if you want to avoid all of your family and loved ones during the holidays.. They do offer you 2 personal days, but don't think you will use them when you need them. Such as for a funeral or sick time. Nope, you'll need to give a months notice and hope the hr manager/assistant store manager/ cosmetic supervisor will approve (yes, its all the same person).This is a great job for you if you want to dedicate your life to a low paying retail job, and if you love dealing with air-headed management. Also, please apply if you love shoving credit cards down every customers throat, and then when  more... you still cant get one, expect to get your a** chewed out publicly in front of your peers in the morning sales meetings. And please don't plan on defending yourself because that is also unacceptable. Good luck!  less
Pros
fun co-workers, cosmetic gratis
Cons
too many to list!
Its a job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 21, 2015
Elder-Beermans was a nice starter job to gain experience. Like any job - depending on your manager with dictate your overall experience