Elderly Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
This is not a paid position
Guardian & Trustee (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 20, 2016
I review and pay bills for the elderly patient that I am in charge of. I record the payment of the bill on a ledger sheet. I record time spent with bill payment, filing and preparation for various agencies (Veteran's Administration, Assisted Living Residence, etc.).
eye-opening experience and fullfilling workplace
Sitter (Former Employee) –  Cordele, GAJanuary 6, 2015
getting to know and learn my patient, creating a trustworthy bond with her. I learned that life shouldn't be taken for granted and to do the very best you can for people while they are amongst the living. Management was great and my co-workers were non-existent, this was a private position. The hardest part of the job was watching someone I had become friends with, leave this earth. This is not a job for the weak of heart. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my patient with a smile on her face.
Pros
Use of Vehicle, Comfortable environment (home health care)
Cons
there are no scheduled breaks, take when can; long distance travel.
helping an elderly woman go from bed ridden to healthy and active
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAMay 16, 2014
the typical work day consisted of waking up at 4:30-5am to help her go to the bathroom. waking up at 7am to cook her breakfast, putting her through a light workout around 10am making her lunch at about 12pm, another light workout at around 2 or 3pm making her dinner at 6pm and tending to her various needs throughout the day.
I learned how to be an adult. Management never held up their end of the bargain and constantly failed to uphold their end of things.
The hardest part of the job was changing diapers. No one wants to do that. The most enjoyable part of the job was the gratitude
Pros
helping someone no one else would
Cons
horrible pay due to lack of certification
I really loved working with the elderly
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJune 9, 2015
A typical day looked like coming to either help someone who really needs it or coming to see a friend who loves you and being able to treat them like a grandparent and see to their needs. You always leave knowing you have helped them out in so many ways. I appreciate learning from others and my own mistakes, but it is just so rewarding to help those who have had hard lives and who deserve respect for being the people they are. I learned people really need respect and they need to be free to feel independent. Offering to help can really hamper their lives if done in the wrong way or too often. Kind words are precious and they need to be said often. I really enjoyed being able to be a helper and sometimes a listening ear. I am not a counselor but I can listen and be supportive. That is something that helps in all areas of life.
The hardest thing is really leaving the client.
Home Instead really works to nurture any potential caregiver. They act very respectfully and I enjoyed working with them.
Most enjoyable part of the job: being with people and encouraging them.
Pros
Free lunch is there if you stay overnight, a feeling of fulfillment, benefits and family atmosphere at work meetings.
Cons
Not much healthcare, it is easy to overwhelm schedule
Enriching experience
Private Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, GANovember 12, 2013
Care giving for the elderly can be very demanding. I was able to demonstrate excellent time management. Additionally, the daily care of a mostly home bound person, making sure he was well nourished, clean, happy. I came to be acutely aware of the state of his health and contacted the appropriate people when he needed medical care. This was a very special position for me.
Pros
Gaining additional insight to the elderly and human interactions
Cons
Occasional medical emergencies
You have a whole new look at life
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 4, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is working for people who have worked hard all their life and can no longer do so. You take care of people who cannot do for themselves but need someone they can trust and depend on everyday.
Productive an different.
Private Duty Nanny (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 2, 2013
This was actually my first job in the medical field. once i did volunteer work at Kessler rehab, i knew being in the medical filed was my dream. i worked wit an elderly man who suffered with Parkinson Disease. He was a very self sufficient guy for the most part. He could talk, walk, and shower him self. We went for long walks in the summer time just to exercise. i made sure he took his medication on time an as well i always made sure his breakfast, lunch, and dinner was always prepared for him. cleaned, did laundry... etc. Me an my mom took care of this 80 year old man. Meaning one week she would work and stay in and the next week i would do the same so basically we rotated it. The hardest part of this job was just being away from home for a whole week, the most enjoyable part was getting to know my patiant and knowing him so good to the point he loves me like if i as his own grand daughter just like i love him like a grandpa. seeing him happy made me love my job 10 times more an coming to work was amazing just knowing i can be able to help someone.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
no cons
Home Health Aide
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VaMay 14, 2015
I have been with this patient for almost five years now. I have learned a lot from my patient such as: more medical knowledge about her diseases in specific, patience, and caring. My coworkers are amazing. We all get a long great and are willing to help each other. The hardest part of my job is when my patient goes through a health issue and I am afraid of her passing away. The most enjoyable part is my patient's laughter.
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Geneva, NYFebruary 9, 2014
Overview engineer drawings. Carry sheets of aluminum to be cut. Move aluminum to rollers. Apply scotch-adisive to aluminum. Assemble panels, and apply lettering(arrows, border, etc.). Attach backing strips using hucks and collers with newmatic airtools. I learned manufacturing street signs, measuring and more. The hardest part of the job is loading the massive product to the trailer. The most enjoyable part of the job is finishing the product.
Pros
healthcare benafits, coperation with others, the finished product
Cons
workers treatment, low wages
Loved the people
Owner/Operator contracted Transportation (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 8, 2015
Loved my job. The passengers is what made my job as being a owner/operator worth it everyday. There is nothing that could replace the smile they placed on my face or the feeling in my heart
Pros
the people
Cons
nothing
Productive an fun to deal with new people.
Private Duty Nanny (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 2, 2013
working with Armark was very fun, i met new people, learned how to cook different things, communicate with different people people from all over, my co workers were the best, nothing at all about this job was hard, as long as you did your job everything we smoothly. but the best part o this job was to have a job that i loved an look foward to coming to everyday.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
no cons
very quite place
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Loomis. CAFebruary 21, 2013
working with elderlies and Alzeimers
I have learned to be a patient while I am working with elderly
I manage for myself
I work alone
not hard if you know part of your job
listening their interesting stories are most enjoyable part of the job.
Served the elderly there breakfast, lunch and dinner
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach FloridaSeptember 30, 2013
I served the elderly there breakfast lunch and dinner. I would talk to the elderly and just make them feel good and just keep them happy.
Pros
I love being around the elderly.
Cons
I didn't get to spend enough time with them.
Tending to the Elderly
CareGiver (Former Employee) –  Castro Valley, CANovember 12, 2012
My Grandparents i loved them dearly. being paid by the state to take care of them. tending to their pills. Grocery Shopping. Cleaning. Cooking. an best part of all Spending time with them.
Pros
everything listed in summary
Cons
bathing them in the shower
Productive work environment
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 14, 2012
I enjoy working with the elderly. It is a rewarding adventure. This was a private job. Not working with an agency.
Pros
free lunches and/or dinners
Cons
put in arbor terrace
The Elderly is a passion of mine.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  williamson, gaNovember 30, 2012
Working with elderly. paying bills, shopping, medication, medical supervision, hospital stays. anything needed to ensure a longer fullfilling life.
Pros
everything
Cons
death
it was ok just a little hard on the temp service
Aide (Former Employee) –  winchester IN 47394April 3, 2014
the hardest part of the job at tomasco was putting up with some of the people.
Volunteer
Volunteer Assisting (Former Employee) –  Lehigh AcresJuly 21, 2013
Volunteered for the Elderly. Completing anything asked. My typical day would consist of just spending time with them. Never a hard job, but fulfilling.
Enjoyed working with my clients
Private Sitter (Former Employee) –  Arnaudville, LaAugust 6, 2014
Prepared meals, light house work, gave clients medicine as needed also helped clients with day to day care.
Gratifying work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Cocoa Beach, FloridaJuly 31, 2013
Difficult at times to deal with state agencies and physicians who are not used to patient's having an advocate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elderly. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2