Elderwood Employee Reviews

Not a bad place but Post Acute's motives are questionable
Anonymous Management (Former Employee) –  New York StateOctober 22, 2017
Pay is below average for all positions other than nursing related. Nursing staff make industry average. It's a good place to start your career but not a good permanent option. Management positions are are revolving door, they'll be here 6 months then they'll get a better job. If you're a nurse right out of school Elderwood is a good option, but once you have experience it's better to go work somewhere else for better pay. Plenty of opportunity for overtime, we are usually short staffed.

Post Acute is the parent company of Elderwood and they are very profit driven. They have done a good job with remodeling the buildings and updating medical equipment, but they don't have a good reputation with a lot of the older employees. Elderwood went from a family oriented company to a corporate procedural based environment.
Pros
overtime, good coworkers
Cons
underpaid, short staffed, poor company culture
Pleasant working environment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Waverly, NYOctober 17, 2017
Elderwood was a very nice place to work. I liked the employees very much & they provided excellent care to the residents. The upper management treated staff very well. Pleasant working environment.
Pros
Pleasant working environment
Cons
Worked alone a lot, d/t lack of staff
Can be rewarding
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, NYOctober 17, 2017
The residents make this job completely worth the stress. It's under staffed and the staff they have usually aren't that great because there are constant call offs which make you short staffed, making the job more stressful. It's very tiring emotionally and physically.
Pros
the residents
Cons
short staffed a lot
Focus is on revenue
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYOctober 13, 2017
If you enjoy being micromanaged and being treated in an unprofessional way then Elderwood is the company for you! This company tracks your every move and all of their feedback is negative. No good words are ever imparted by management no matter how hard you work. Negativity is the rule. Morale is poor. The emphasis is not on providing qualtiy care. Reimbursement is the name of the game! Coordination of care between nursing and rehab is poor. Patients often get a subpar experience. If you tell the truth and give suggestions for improvement , nothing changes except that you are viewed as a malcontent. My suggestion is to avoid this company whether it be for employment or for rehab.
Pros
The people are nice, your heart goes out to them
Cons
Management, emphasis on revenue rather than results
very poor staff/pt ratio
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Waverly, NYOctober 6, 2017
I worked night shift and took care of up to 36 sub-acute rehab pts, along with 1 or 2 CNAs only, very unsafe staffing. Pts had wound vacs, PICC lines, cardiac machines and were very medical complex, I received nights of orientation. Minimal support from management.
Horrid
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYSeptember 7, 2017
Awful, has gown downhill in the past few years. No staff, owners don't care, dirty facilities, just awful. They need help, maybe from the state, messy
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, NYSeptember 1, 2017
It was very productive with great people and a great boss. I loved working there. I wish i didnt have to leave but unfortunate circumstances. Thw work pace was fast and you had to be fast so you could get done on time
Horrible
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, NYAugust 31, 2017
They use you and spit you out. Management is horrible. Director only cares about cost. Favoritism. Friends or those dating management and higher ups get special treatment.
Pros
2$ meals
long breaks ,free parking ,friendly staff
Social Worker Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 27, 2017
clean and welcoming facility which is there to assist the patients improve their quality of life on a day to day basis,with the dedicated staff and amazing location ,this is a patient heaven on earth.
Pros
free parking long breaks
Cons
Bad communication,Horrible nurse manager on 1st floor.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Hornell,NYJune 9, 2017
Unfortunately the management is unreachable. They always tell you what you have done wrong but never when you do good. You are reprimanded for the slightest thing. Nurse manager s on her cell phone to her family but no one else can be. Favors her 1st shift over 2 ND shift. Blatently favors certain residents publicly -this RN MANAGER should not be in charge. The Current DON IS NOT a fair person and is not available to speak with either by phone or personally. Never returns phone call-in I called over 6 times and to this day no return calls. My CNAS were a great crew to work with. My orientation was a joke and management just wanted a body to fill the position. Management agreed I was not trained correctly. My co workers also agreed the one who did the training was immature and didn't care she just wanted out. It's too bad because I loved the residents and it came down to why I stayed. They were my reason for staying.
Pros
Seeing my residents, knowing I was doing my job
Cons
Bad moral, bad communication, short staffed
Do not work for this company!
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYApril 6, 2017
You do not want to work for this company! The administration and management team do not care about their employees and do not care about their residents. All this company cares about is money. Management never has the back of their employees, they often blindside employees with disciplinary actions without asking their side of a situation before deliberating and delivering punishment. Management and administration plays favorites with certain employees that they like and will always go after employees that they do not like. They are always short staffed with nurses and cna's, they receive numerous complaints about short staffing from employees and from residents family members, but they do not care. The administration and management of these facilities have no morals no values, and no respect for their employees. So, if you would like to work for a company that values their employees and respects them, then do not work for Elderwood.
Pros
Cons
Short staffing, never get breaks, no respect for employees
Enjoyable place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Waverly, NYApril 5, 2017
A great place where the work in reasonable and the people around you can quickly become lifelong friends. Lots of wonderful people to share the experience with.
Taking care of residents the best I could.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYApril 2, 2017
I strive to do well at my jobs. It was very busy. Getting them washed up, dressed, hair brushed, teeth brushed, transferred, to the dining room at a certain time, make their beds, and stay calm. 40 residents on the unit, so team work was needed. If it wasn't there it fell apart. I like a busy and demanding job. I also love taking care of people so I loved it so much, even on the stressful days.
Pros
Getting to know the residents and your coworkers. You become close.
Cons
When there was no teamwork on some days or working short. Makes for a double as hard work day.
Poor place to work, no team work
Activity Aide (Former Employee) –  RIMarch 21, 2017
I worked there for 1.5 yrs and my director head was a jerk, I was pretty much asked to quit (very unprofessional). They kept a real crazy lady instead who is not liked by anyone. The food director is lazy and is more concerned with socializing and following the maintenance guy around. He is always in his office staring at the computer, I actually saw him once ordering on Amazon. The cna's are constantly on there phones after department heads leave. They have lost a lot of good employees due to new owner ship and go through cnas like water. Administration and department heads just sit in there office in front of there computers and have no idea what is going on. The lack of communication is absolutely horrendous between all of the departments. I think the owners are more interested in making money than they are about the welfare of the residents and employees.
The pay is not nearly enough for what you do and for what they expect of you. No wonder they have a high turn over, but what do expect from the corporate world. New owners and administration need a reality check.
Pros
Good fellow workers, Clean place
Cons
Management is lacking and unprofessional
Atmosphere has changed a lot.
LPN Floor Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMarch 14, 2017
I have been there a long time and over the yrs things have changed, no one feels their job is safe, no longer a family atmosphere. Always tension between administration and RNs and LPNs. They are increasing the work load but not the amount of people to accomplish the task. On average the nurses have 20-25 pts. And some are acutely Ill , they come in with exacerbation of a chronic illness need one on one care. There are far to many treatments and meds to get done by one person. It's very stressful.
Pros
Benefits after being there 10 years
Cons
Always working short, asked to drop down as a CNA, they do not compensate well for working under staffed.
Used to be nice
Nonclinical (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYFebruary 27, 2017
The place used to be nice until they changed owners. Now people quit left and right. No longevity with employees anymore. Even long term employees have quit. The nursing staff is constantly understaffed because they aren't treated well. Management is very cliquey. If they don't like you or you are opinionated they look for a way to get you out. Big brother is also watching you. Management likes to sit behind their desks and try to micromanage you. You are considered expendable. Employees aren't valued. No positive feedback always what you are doing wrong.
Pros
The residents and nonmanagement staff
Cons
Management and new owners
Change in ownership
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYFebruary 19, 2017
Ever since the change in ownership of the elderwood the longevity of employment has drastically changed mostly in part that many who have spent over 20 years of service with the old owner have been fired and or quit the new owners are concerned more with making money than they are the care of the residents and the direct staff caring for them. They hire management that bullies their employees looks for every tiny mistake that you make and then write you up for it this place is headed downhill quickly
Pros
My residents and their loving families
Cons
Feeling like you're working in a prison but you are the prisoner
Used to be a great comoany
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYFebruary 10, 2017
Elderwood was a great place to work, since the new owners took over, the place has dropped overall. Inappropriate admissions, dementia patients who n Ed more than a locked unit, doctors stopping meds that our dementia people need to keep them calm, now you come upstairs and it sounds like an insane asylum. The food they serve these people is horrendous, the dietary boss spends her days following the maintenance director around. Administrator who has no clue what he is doing, Director of Nursing who spends her days in her office, she has no idea what to do and shows favoritism, CNAs who are the bosses and nurses who just pass meds and sit at the desk.
Pros
not much
Have fun wit residents
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYJanuary 28, 2017
The only reason I'm here still are my residents. other than that, the place isn't a great place to work. They constantly are short staffed. Can't keep ppl here
Pros
Abundant overtime great residents
Cons
Management has favorites.They are very unprofessional.they lie a lot. Facility is drama filled
love the staff and residents
LPN (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NY 14221January 13, 2017
I love my staff and residents. management questionable. but the people are awesome. break room really desperately needs to be remodeled. I would say it's a pretty decent place to work.
Pros
nice staff members, good area, intelligent nurses and doctors
Cons
dirty breakroom, health insurance price through the roof, needs remodeling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elderwood. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8