ElderWood Employee Reviews in United States

Used to be good
CNA (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYJune 15, 2016
just look at the reviews, it used to be a 5 star place and now job security is terrible, management fires without warning... its so bad
Pros
residents
Cons
management, staff support
Racist, Chatty Gossipy Second floor is thee worst. Liverpool, Ny
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYJune 12, 2016
Worked here as an aide for 6 months by far thee worst place to work as far as ppl letting you do your job and not nagging and following behind you. Nurses as well as aides on Second floor are "Super aides" and nurses. Some are very vindictive and try to get you in trouble so they get get brownie points. Had to put a few of them in there places a few times. Got tired of the childishness, gossip of these grown children and quit. Management especially the administrator are not personable. You rarely see her interacting with staff and residents unless she wants to be a "warden" and harass ppl that work hard here. Or if her family member comes to stay she wants the facility to be "top notch" then. Always always short staffed, no incentives or kudos given to hard workers, constantly writing statements on bull, patients falling, ect. No advancement, not worth the pay or the stress. If your an intelligent Nurse Assistant that is too mature for gossip and pettiness please don't work here! Second and third floor to be exact. (That's where the main "super aides and nurses work".
Pros
Pay, overtime due to no staff!
Cons
Racist, Gossip, super aides and nurses, short staffed 24/7
Cna training class
CNA Trainee (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYApril 16, 2016
I have applied for the cna training since January and I have followed up with my application, everytime i call there's excuse for the class not starting, first excuse was there was no one to teach the cna class, we'll if that's the case then why is there ads on job wed sites??? It seems like I get the run around.. and when calling I can't speak to the director of nursing or a administrater?? How un perfesonal is that???
Pros
Cna training is on all the job hiring web sites
Cons
Never here from the company about the job
Very caring LTC facility
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYNovember 16, 2015
I would check on residents routinely, answer call lights, assist with all ADL's , help provide nourishment and supplements, assist and care for their personal needs, check and record vitals
understaffed all the time
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYSeptember 22, 2015
need a better job where I wont break my back trying to get everything done. I need a better atmosphere where I can have a positive outlook on my job.
waitress life
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYJuly 27, 2015
Focusing on the elder and making sure their meals were given on a timely bases.
Learned patience and forgiveness.
Management was well involved.
Co-workers all stuck together and helped one another out.
Hardest part of this job was when one of the residents would pass away.
The most enjoyable was being able to hear stories of their lives when they were growing up and seeing how much time as changed.
Slow work place with many internal changes
Case Manager (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYJuly 21, 2015
Work environment is a bit clique-ish among co-workers. There are alot of internal changes within the location. Alot of people quit, or are fired so there's seems to be alot of rotating of managerial positions therefore, it may be difficult for residents to adjust to the staff.
not enough staff
cna (Current Employee) –  Waverly, NYMarch 13, 2015
management is not willing to work with you in time of need i liked working with my co workers and my residents and meeting there needs but working short alot was hard to care for your residents needs
Horrible experience
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Wheatfield, NYFebruary 16, 2015
I started at Elderwood as a dietary aide to ease into CNA training between semesters in college for my ADN. The management in the kitchen was horrible; a LOT of favoritism, I was targeted and treated extremely poorly by a supervisor, and multiple coworkers noticed this as well. They promised me vacation time, breaks, benefits, but I came to find out it was only if you worked 20 hours a week average. They made me work 5 days a week, but only 3.75 hours a day. I barely made enough to cover the gas it took to get there and back. Coworkers were very choosey, were nice only if they liked you, and gossiped all day long (granted most of the Dietary Aides I worked with were high school kids). I couldn't even enjoy the parts of my job that I enjoyed, like talking to the residents when I was bussing tables. They also piled more work into 3.75 hours that were possible in 5. Several times I was pounding sweat because one of my coworkers left me with not only my job, but their job as well, and they also made you punch out even if you weren't done with everything. MASSIVE safety hazard.
Cons
poor management, poor hours, no breaks, poor benefits
Promising career Placement
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYFebruary 6, 2015
This Job had a lot of potential to be an enjoyable, simple daily task.

My Typical day included, but was not limited to, Cleaning resident's rooms by dusting, sweeping, mopping, collecting trash and sanitizing. I also would clean and "flip" a room that was no longer occupied. This was considered a "deep clean" insuring that the room was prepared for it's next occupant. I was occasionally in charge of cleaning other rooms, depending on what area of the building my rotation was working on that week.

I learned skills needed to become a decent housekeeper. Skills that give me confidence in pursuing similar jobs at other locations, such as hotels etc.

I enjoyed my co-workers. There was ever only an issue with a new person on my team, but management saw to that and it was handled. The other co-workers were fairly reliable at doing their jobs as well, and didn't try to make any trouble or things harder for any other employees.

The hardest part of the job, was my immediate supervisor. For some unknown reason, he had a vendetta against myself and one other employee. He would harass us, badger us, and insult everything that we did. He had me trained twice because he insisted that I was not cleaning anything properly, and my trainer had it noted that she did not see a reason why I needed to be "re-trained" as I was cleaning as taught, and cleaning better than some of the employees who had been there longer than myself. There was a brief period of time where I thought the issues had been taken care of, as he became a rather agreeable person to work under, had started giving constructive
  more... criticism as well as positive feed back, then suddenly he began harassing and verbally abusing my work again. The most confusing and frustrating part of it, is that he often would complain about rooms "not being cleaned" or "not cleaned properly" after days I had not even worked.

Example - I had a day off, then would come into work the following day, and he would complain that rooms were not cleaned properly the day I was off and that it was because I personally did not clean them right. Though I don't know how this was possible when I hadn't even been there to do any cleaning in the first place.

I have no complaint about the rest of the management, other than the fact they did nothing to correct my immediate supervisor. My Immediate supervisor's 2nd in command was a pleasant person to work for, with constructive criticism, and the management above both of them were also enjoyable people to work for.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was, once I was trained and knew what I was doing, it was easy, constant, and kept me busy. I enjoy having proper work to do the entire time I am at my job and staying busy so that the hours do not feel wasted. The hours I worked 7am to 3pm were also agreeable, for the fact that I still had daylight hours to spend with my children at home after work.
Pros
hours, constant busy work
Cons
immediate supervisor.
Caring and fun staff
Certified Nursing Assistant- Part-time (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYAugust 21, 2014
Elderwood was the greatest long-term care facility I have ever been employed at. Staff makes you feel like a family and provides the greatest care to their residents that I had ever experienced. All of the staff worked together and made it as stress free as possible. Management would take the time to bond with the residents and get to know the staff and make their accomplishments and hard work noticed and recognized. The hardest yet most rewarding part of my job at elderwood, was watching and caring for residents that were at their end of life stage. I say it is the hardest because you become family to them and learn so much from those people and you mourn when they pass just like you would if you were to know them your whole life. I also say it was the most enjoyable because some residents do not have family like you do at home, and the staff are the only people they know and are there for them through everything. When a resident passes away it gives you joy to know that you might have been the last person they seen before they passed and you should have made a great impact on them just by letting them know you care.
Pros
the old time stories you hear and watching them smile.
Cons
physical hard work
A good starting point
CNA/HHA (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 18, 2014
Elderwood is a great place I feel to start out as a new CNA I've learned alot and working in such an environment as Elderwood senior home I think has prepared me to take on anything as a CNA.
Pros
experience, staff, pay
Cons
location is a bit far
Established facility with descent benefits.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Waverly, NYMarch 5, 2014
A typical day was usually pretty hectic but rewarding as well. I spent a lot of evenings working OT. Staffing remains to be a battle just as it is for most long term care facilities.
fun place to work
house keeper (Former Employee) –  waverly nyNovember 14, 2013
cleaned rooms did londray,cooked meals, i was a pca, answering phone giving baths to resadents on there days,crafts
Pros
like my job
Cons
no team work from staff
work heaven
wellness leader (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYAugust 11, 2013
wonderful environment for residents and staff. everyone pitches in and helps when needed
Pros
feels like a family and not a job
Caring facility
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYAugust 8, 2013
Working at Elderwood was really rewarding. Residents were very appreciative of the care provided to them by the CNAs, LPNs, and RNs. Teamwork was really important and I always felt I could find someone to help me and vis versa.
a great place to work!
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  cheektowaga, nyMay 11, 2012
this was a great place to work. the management is very professional and easy going. great pay and benefits. the co-workers are great team players. i learned alot about myself from this job experience and i am constantly referring others to apply to their company.