ElderWood Employee Reviews

Slow work place with many internal changes
Case Manager (Temporary) (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, NYJuly 21, 2015
Work environment is a bit clique-ish among co-workers. There are alot of internal changes within the location. Alot of people quit, or are fired so there's seems to be alot of rotating of managerial positions therefore, it may be difficult for residents to adjust to the staff.
Unprofessional
Director of Respiratory (Former Employee), Williamsville, New YorkJune 12, 2015
Administration and management are completely rude, incompetent, and unprofessional. After being hired and attempting to negotiate a salary, I was completely ignored, lied to, and strung along. They did not have the common decency to contact me, answer my calls, or make me the final salary offer. The interim administrator was the only person I could get a hold of, and he kept telling me he would have the salary info the next day and would call me back. Finally I contacted the VP of operations who offered no apology or any hint of caring. He said "they" told him they never made me an offer! So I called and explained the situation to the new adminstrator who hung up on me! And the only call back I ever received from HR after all that was to tell me they were pursuing other candidates! And this was almost 3 months after being interviewed and supposedly hired! Meanwhile, I made plans to move to the area, obtain my state license and I turned down other job offers. If this is how they treat a potential new member of their management team, then how is the staff treated, not to mention the poor residents!
not enough staff
cna (Current Employee), Waverly, NYMarch 13, 2015
management is not willing to work with you in time of need i liked working with my co workers and my residents and meeting there needs but working short alot was hard to care for your residents needs
Horrible experience
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Wheatfield, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Cons: poor management, poor hours, no breaks, poor benefits
I started at Elderwood as a dietary aide to ease into CNA training between semesters in college for my ADN. The management in the kitchen was horrible; a LOT of favoritism, I was targeted and treated extremely poorly by a supervisor, and multiple coworkers noticed this as well. They promised me vacation time, breaks, benefits, but I came to find out it was only if you worked 20 hours a week average. They made me work 5 days a week, but only 3.75 hours a day. I barely made enough to cover the gas it took to get there and back. Coworkers were very choosey, were nice only if they liked you, and gossiped all day long (granted most of the Dietary Aides I worked with were high school kids). I couldn't even enjoy the parts of my job that I enjoyed, like talking to the residents when I was bussing tables. They also piled more work into 3.75 hours that were possible in 5. Several times I was pounding sweat because one of my coworkers left me with not only my job, but their job as well, and they also made you punch out even if you weren't done with everything. MASSIVE safety hazard.
Promising career Placement
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Lancaster, NYFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: hours, constant busy work
Cons: immediate supervisor.
This Job had a lot of potential to be an enjoyable, simple daily task.

My Typical day included, but was not limited to, Cleaning resident's rooms by dusting, sweeping, mopping, collecting trash and sanitizing. I also would clean and "flip" a room that was no longer occupied. This was considered a "deep clean" insuring that the room was prepared for it's next occupant. I was occasionally in charge of cleaning other rooms, depending on what area of the building my rotation was working on that week.

I learned skills needed to become a decent housekeeper. Skills that give me confidence in pursuing similar jobs at other locations, such as hotels etc.

I enjoyed my co-workers. There was ever only an issue with a new person on my team, but management saw to that and it was handled. The other co-workers were fairly reliable at doing their jobs as well, and didn't try to make any trouble or things harder for any other employees.

The hardest part of the job, was my immediate supervisor. For some unknown reason, he had a vendetta against myself and one other employee. He would harass us, badger us, and insult everything that we did. He had me trained twice because he insisted that I was not cleaning anything properly, and my trainer had it noted that she did not see a reason why I needed to be "re-trained" as I was cleaning as taught, and cleaning better than some of the employees who had been there longer than myself. There was a brief period of time where I thought the issues had been taken care of, as he became a rather agreeable person to work under, had started giving constructive – more... criticism as well as positive feed back, then suddenly he began harassing and verbally abusing my work again. The most confusing and frustrating part of it, is that he often would complain about rooms "not being cleaned" or "not cleaned properly" after days I had not even worked.

Example - I had a day off, then would come into work the following day, and he would complain that rooms were not cleaned properly the day I was off and that it was because I personally did not clean them right. Though I don't know how this was possible when I hadn't even been there to do any cleaning in the first place.

I have no complaint about the rest of the management, other than the fact they did nothing to correct my immediate supervisor. My Immediate supervisor's 2nd in command was a pleasant person to work for, with constructive criticism, and the management above both of them were also enjoyable people to work for.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was, once I was trained and knew what I was doing, it was easy, constant, and kept me busy. I enjoy having proper work to do the entire time I am at my job and staying busy so that the hours do not feel wasted. The hours I worked 7am to 3pm were also agreeable, for the fact that I still had daylight hours to spend with my children at home after work. – less
Caring and fun staff
Certified Nursing Assistant- Part-time (Former Employee), Grand Island, NYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: the old time stories you hear and watching them smile.
Cons: physical hard work
Elderwood was the greatest long-term care facility I have ever been employed at. Staff makes you feel like a family and provides the greatest care to their residents that I had ever experienced. All of the staff worked together and made it as stress free as possible. Management would take the time to bond with the residents and get to know the staff and make their accomplishments and hard work noticed and recognized. The hardest yet most rewarding part of my job at elderwood, was watching and caring for residents that were at their end of life stage. I say it is the hardest because you become family to them and learn so much from those people and you mourn when they pass just like you would if you were to know them your whole life. I also say it was the most enjoyable because some residents do not have family like you do at home, and the staff are the only people they know and are there for them through everything. When a resident passes away it gives you joy to know that you might have been the last person they seen before they passed and you should have made a great impact on them just by letting them know you care.
A good starting point
CNA/HHA (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 18, 2014
Pros: experience, staff, pay
Cons: location is a bit far
Elderwood is a great place I feel to start out as a new CNA I've learned alot and working in such an environment as Elderwood senior home I think has prepared me to take on anything as a CNA.
Established facility with descent benefits.
LPN (Former Employee), Waverly, NYMarch 5, 2014
A typical day was usually pretty hectic but rewarding as well. I spent a lot of evenings working OT. Staffing remains to be a battle just as it is for most long term care facilities.
fun place to work
house keeper (Former Employee), waverly nyNovember 14, 2013
Pros: like my job
Cons: no team work from staff
cleaned rooms did londray,cooked meals, i was a pca, answering phone giving baths to resadents on there days,crafts
work heaven
wellness leader (Current Employee), Williamsville, NYAugust 11, 2013
Pros: feels like a family and not a job
wonderful environment for residents and staff. everyone pitches in and helps when needed
Caring facility
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Lancaster, NYAugust 8, 2013
Working at Elderwood was really rewarding. Residents were very appreciative of the care provided to them by the CNAs, LPNs, and RNs. Teamwork was really important and I always felt I could find someone to help me and vis versa.
a great place to work!
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), cheektowaga, nyMay 11, 2012
this was a great place to work. the management is very professional and easy going. great pay and benefits. the co-workers are great team players. i learned alot about myself from this job experience and i am constantly referring others to apply to their company.
Headquarters