Elderwood Employee Reviews

Do not work for this company!
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYApril 6, 2017
You do not want to work for this company! The administration and management team do not care about their employees and do not care about their residents. All this company cares about is money. Management never has the back of their employees, they often blindside employees with disciplinary actions without asking their side of a situation before deliberating and delivering punishment. Management and administration plays favorites with certain employees that they like and will always go after employees that they do not like. They are always short staffed with nurses and cna's, they receive numerous complaints about short staffing from employees and from residents family members, but they do not care. The administration and management of these facilities have no morals no values, and no respect for their employees. So, if you would like to work for a company that values their employees and respects them, then do not work for Elderwood.
Pros
Cons
Short staffing, never get breaks, no respect for employees
Enjoyable place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Waverly, NYApril 5, 2017
A great place where the work in reasonable and the people around you can quickly become lifelong friends. Lots of wonderful people to share the experience with.
Taking care of residents the best I could.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYApril 2, 2017
I strive to do well at my jobs. It was very busy. Getting them washed up, dressed, hair brushed, teeth brushed, transferred, to the dining room at a certain time, make their beds, and stay calm. 40 residents on the unit, so team work was needed. If it wasn't there it fell apart. I like a busy and demanding job. I also love taking care of people so I loved it so much, even on the stressful days.
Pros
Getting to know the residents and your coworkers. You become close.
Cons
When there was no teamwork on some days or working short. Makes for a double as hard work day.
Poor place to work, no team work
Activity Aide (Former Employee) –  RIMarch 21, 2017
I worked there for 1.5 yrs and my director head was a jerk, I was pretty much asked to quit (very unprofessional). They kept a real crazy lady instead who is not liked by anyone. The food director is lazy and is more concerned with socializing and following the maintenance guy around. He is always in his office staring at the computer, I actually saw him once ordering on Amazon. The cna's are constantly on there phones after department heads leave. They have lost a lot of good employees due to new owner ship and go through cnas like water. Administration and department heads just sit in there office in front of there computers and have no idea what is going on. The lack of communication is absolutely horrendous between all of the departments. I think the owners are more interested in making money than they are about the welfare of the residents and employees.
The pay is not nearly enough for what you do and for what they expect of you. No wonder they have a high turn over, but what do expect from the corporate world. New owners and administration need a reality check.
Pros
Good fellow workers, Clean place
Cons
Management is lacking and unprofessional
Atmosphere has changed a lot.
LPN Floor Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMarch 14, 2017
I have been there a long time and over the yrs things have changed, no one feels their job is safe, no longer a family atmosphere. Always tension between administration and RNs and LPNs. They are increasing the work load but not the amount of people to accomplish the task. On average the nurses have 20-25 pts. And some are acutely Ill , they come in with exacerbation of a chronic illness need one on one care. There are far to many treatments and meds to get done by one person. It's very stressful.
Pros
Benefits after being there 10 years
Cons
Always working short, asked to drop down as a CNA, they do not compensate well for working under staffed.
Used to be nice
Nonclinical (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYFebruary 27, 2017
The place used to be nice until they changed owners. Now people quit left and right. No longevity with employees anymore. Even long term employees have quit. The nursing staff is constantly understaffed because they aren't treated well. Management is very cliquey. If they don't like you or you are opinionated they look for a way to get you out. Big brother is also watching you. Management likes to sit behind their desks and try to micromanage you. You are considered expendable. Employees aren't valued. No positive feedback always what you are doing wrong.
Pros
The residents and nonmanagement staff
Cons
Management and new owners
Change in ownership
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NYFebruary 19, 2017
Ever since the change in ownership of the elderwood the longevity of employment has drastically changed mostly in part that many who have spent over 20 years of service with the old owner have been fired and or quit the new owners are concerned more with making money than they are the care of the residents and the direct staff caring for them. They hire management that bullies their employees looks for every tiny mistake that you make and then write you up for it this place is headed downhill quickly
Pros
My residents and their loving families
Cons
Feeling like you're working in a prison but you are the prisoner
Used to be a great comoany
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYFebruary 10, 2017
Elderwood was a great place to work, since the new owners took over, the place has dropped overall. Inappropriate admissions, dementia patients who n Ed more than a locked unit, doctors stopping meds that our dementia people need to keep them calm, now you come upstairs and it sounds like an insane asylum. The food they serve these people is horrendous, the dietary boss spends her days following the maintenance director around. Administrator who has no clue what he is doing, Director of Nursing who spends her days in her office, she has no idea what to do and shows favoritism, CNAs who are the bosses and nurses who just pass meds and sit at the desk.
Pros
not much
Have fun wit residents
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYJanuary 28, 2017
The only reason I'm here still are my residents. other than that, the place isn't a great place to work. They constantly are short staffed. Can't keep ppl here
Pros
Abundant overtime great residents
Cons
Management has favorites.They are very unprofessional.they lie a lot. Facility is drama filled
love the staff and residents
LPN (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NY 14221January 13, 2017
I love my staff and residents. management questionable. but the people are awesome. break room really desperately needs to be remodeled. I would say it's a pretty decent place to work.
Pros
nice staff members, good area, intelligent nurses and doctors
Cons
dirty breakroom, health insurance price through the roof, needs remodeling.
Aloof Administration and unanswered concerns
Community Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lake Placid, NYDecember 23, 2016
During staff break times, residents are at times unattended, and bells can ring for more than twenty minutes. Staff are animated and engaging when they have time, but rely heavily on family and visitor assistance. Institutional errors in med administration. Used Drug store list to start med list for new resident, when most meds had been discontinued. Had new dementia patient sign her own DNR and told family after the fact. Family council meets with facility delegate who hears repeated concerns about food quality-- not enough fresh produce, parking lot lights being burnt out, staff shortages during evening hours, holidays and weekends. Zero follow-up from Administrator. Customer service training is needed.
Pros
Good, caring staff. Birds, pets, community involvment.
Cons
150 cars in parking lot during office hours M-F, Only five or six cars during busy morning, meal times, and holidays.
Poor Administration and Management - wheatfield
Mid level mgmt (Former Employee) –  Wheatfield, NYDecember 11, 2016
Management lacking in education & experience. Staffing is critical and new nurses are forced to train quickly and thrown into supervisory positions that they are not prepared for- leaving their nys nursing license in jeopardy. Critical staffing means insuffiant care for residents. Most aides are sassy and disrespectful. I would not admit my family here if it was the last option on earth. HR dept is unorganized, slow to respond and outdated.
Pros
Great benefits - clean & organized maintenance dept
Cons
Revolving door for staffing. Poor management
Clean, good people-small area-big responsibility
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYDecember 8, 2016
Depending on what unit you work, this place is very busy. The rehab unit is sometimes very slow but that depends on numbers. First floor is relaxed and very repetitive. Second floor with the alz/dem unit is very hectic at all times. If you want to work here then please be ready to put forth a lot of time , effort, and energy! Great CNAs but have to be kept track of..
Pros
Job security, available overtime, good nurses
Cons
Staffing, LPN has many tasks throughout day
Billing
Biller (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Ok job no acknowledgement or help from coworkers or management. promised advancment opportunitys you will never see. everyone for themselves. aweful billing policys and practices. aging reports are horrendeous no notations on anything.
Pros
left alone
Terrible workplace in need of change
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Hamburg, NYSeptember 10, 2016
Understaffed, dirty nursing home with poor management. There are 20 residents per CNA on a daily basis. Dirty. Bugs in beds, old disgusting carpet, fecal matter on walls, dirty tena all over etc. Management tells workers what they want to hear when they have a problem and no solution is met. Favortism is also a problem.
Pros
Cons
Understaffed, poor management
job facility not organized, poor communication between management & employees, frequently under staffed
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, New YorkSeptember 5, 2016
Get report from the outgoing Nursing Supervisor, make rounds in facility, monitor al patients with change in condition. Review any A & I's. Checking to see the times IV's were to run and any PICC lines that needed flushing. Review all M.D. orders from any admissions into the facility from the previous day. Make skin rounds with skin team and document weekly. Order all supplies needed for the unit twice weekly. Attend morning report. Complete all treatments of wounds in facility. Frequently at end of shift I would find out that several admissions were being admitted into the facility and the admission orders would have to be done before I could leave facility. I learned the Kodiak, point click care on the computer. I found that the staff nurses were not always held accountable for their duties. Some of the nurses stated that they did not know what to do when there was in change in condition and when the Supervisor was notified the nurses did not have the vital signs and necessary information for the Supervisor to contact the M.D. right away. CNA's did not notice a change in a patient's condition as they should have because they had the same patients daily. There were frequent bruising of unknown origin. The patients and families were very grateful for the care they received, and it was always rewarding at the end of the day to know that I had done everything that I could to give each patient the best care possible and make sure they were given medication as needed to make sure each patient was as pain free as possible..
Pros
trained in the Kodiak System, Point click care on the computers
Cons
Often too busy to take any breaks during the work day.
Nasty angry mangement
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 27, 2016
A uneven, nasty mangement, who when given the chance to show any loyalty, will play favorites. Feels more like highschool than professional workplace. The best and brightest have already left this once proud company. The ownership as long since lost the loyalty of their employees, and customer satisfaction is far from anything that company considers.
Pros
Healthcare, patient interaction
Cons
Support of direct management is non-existent.
fun job to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYAugust 27, 2016
I loved working with ElderWood I learned a lot working with the nurses at this job and my co-workers where very helpful and lots of team work
Pros
they will pay for you to go to school
Cons
they only hire part time
Good and Fun job
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYJuly 22, 2016
Has helped me expand my job experience and alot of hands on training. Helps with everyday tasks being completeled in a timely fashion.
Cna training class
CNA Trainee (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYApril 16, 2016
I have applied for the cna training since January and I have followed up with my application, everytime i call there's excuse for the class not starting, first excuse was there was no one to teach the cna class, we'll if that's the case then why is there ads on job wed sites??? It seems like I get the run around.. and when calling I can't speak to the director of nursing or a administrater?? How un perfesonal is that???
Pros
Cna training is on all the job hiring web sites
Cons
Never here from the company about the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elderwood. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8