Elephant Auto Insurance Employee Reviews

Fun work environment with focus on a great customer experience
Licensed Property and Casualty Agent (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAFebruary 10, 2017
Elephant is a great company to work for. The work environment and culture is relaxed and fun, giving the employees a chance to be at ease when speaking with customers about their insurance.
Pros
The fun and relaxed environment
Cons
The management (at my time of employment)
This is a fun place to work
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 3, 2017
This is a great place to work. It was my first job out of school and they gave me all the training I needed to succeed. I didn't have much formal experience in sales or insurance but they gave me all the tools I needed to become successful.
good fun
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 8, 2016
Its good fun just another place to work to get a paycheck. They have a good thing going and good financial backing. you can throw darts at other people which is fun. and play ping pong
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay
Productive family company
Licensed Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 10, 2016
Love the benefits and people. CEO knows you by name and does talk with you. Promate advancement within the company. Daily meetings on the companies process.
benefits
Cons
transportation
Be careful with customer service
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 25, 2016
The company as a whole is good but needs a lot of work. The departments work separately in making decisions that impact customers and do not relay the message, making the messengers (C.S. agent) job harder when dealing with the customers.

The job underpays compared to other call centers and other insurance companies. They are aware of this and still have done nothing to fix the issue.

Tenured and knowledgeable agents are overlooked for internal positions, while newer, less knowledgeable agents are promoted.
(be careful of "stretch positions", you basically do the work and never get the pay)

there are also no standard operating procedures which makes accountability difficult for both leadership and agents,
Pros
team building activities
Cons
unrealistic expectation with stats
video game room, no time to ever play.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 30, 2016
Dynamic work environment, you'll meet a ton of diverse people. However, can see favoritism amongst coworkers and management. Not the greatest pay and benefits. This is a call center. Remember that. IT DOES have positives, like theme days, and they try to make it fun. take advantage of the ability to move up.
Pros
video game room, diverse people
Cons
overworked and underpaid
Very Misleading!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 25, 2016
The trainers I had were terrible! They tried to condense 4 weeks of training into 1 week. By listening to them, you could tell that they were once customer service reps and that they were promoted to trainer prematurely. It was clear that they had no formal training in adult education, because they were unable to communicate effectively with the class. During the interview, they said that we would eventually be required to take an exam to obtain an insurance license. That eventually turned out to be my second week. The problem with that is that you have to score a minimum to keep your job, that was not disclosed in the interview. They also didn't tell me that I would have the amount for the test deducted out of my pay. They are basically using people when it comes to the license. The state of Virginia does not require a license to perform customer service duties, therefore Elephant is trying to make CSR's do some of the underwriting departments work. Very Shady!
Pros
Casual Dress
Cons
Pay is way below average
Sales is not a gateway job here
Licensed Insurance Agent / Sales Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 18, 2016
I was one of the top agents for months and yet they refused to promote me, cut the entire floors bonus by 10%, 2 months later 30% cut. They can't be trusted and HR has no clue what happens in sales.
Pros
You can dress however you like in Sales, Customer Service
Cons
No assistance in personal skills improvement
The call center life
Licensed Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 4, 2016
Normal day consist of incoming calls from third party solicitors, speaking to 60+ people a day, selling insurance policies and being front end underwriter.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
poor management
Best Place to Work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 15, 2016
I absolutely loved working at Elephant. Great Culture and lots of room for growth! CEO is present in office on regular basis. You always feel a home and part of a family when you work for The Herd!
It pays the bills
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 2, 2016
Elephant is a nice place to work for. The employees are all down to earth however management needs some work. They are always promoting the newer members to off phone jobs when more tenured agents have to stick with the horrible shift changes weekly. Hoenstly it could be so you will not get the stocks that are guaranteed after being there three years. High turnover rate
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Hounded for taking more than the scheduled breaks.
Sales and Customer Service
Licensed Sales and Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VADecember 20, 2015
Can honestly say that I had a wonderful trainer who instilled work ethics in me. Could be a good place if they would wake up and get overhaul management. All go. It is turning into GEICO. The bullying and the lack of responsibility is really bad. They tell you to speak up and when you do they will take you in a room and someone with a plastic glove will swipe all your things in a box and you will be out like yesterday's news no matter what your loyalty was. Shame. It looked good on paper.
Pros
few
Cons
no job security
Fun Workplace with opportunity for growth
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 24, 2015
Overall Elephant has a great workplace atmosphere and immense opportunity for growth and movement. Management exhibits an overall lack of communication among the employees and each other.
Pros
Rapid hiring process
Cons
Lack of communication
Fun workplace
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VANovember 1, 2015
Elephant is a great place to work with great internal prompting opportunity's.It is a great place to grow and has many internal growth opportunity's. It is a new company so new ideas are always welcome.
Benefits
Cons
Low Compensation
Fun place to work. Good benefits.
P&C Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2015
Highly recommend. Hours are hard in sales only if you are a single parent.Great office environment. Great sales managers.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Really really fun
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 26, 2015
Take your calls, sell policies, and eat cake! It's a really fun place to work for. No company has their management closer to their employees.
Relaxed Environment
I have already been promoted after 8 months with the company
I love it!
Fun
Contributor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2015
This was my first, and so far only, writing gig. I learned a lot but it was mostly for leisure so I didn't put my full attention into contributing.
Pros
work anytime
Cons
no pay
Helter-skelter
Payment Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 25, 2015
The culture is amazing, allowing individuals to look and dress virtually any way they want; we're on the phones all day, so the company sees no need for us to wear stuffy clothing. Love that aspect.
However, the attendance policy and certain business practices (such as applying sneaky fees and taking money from customers' accounts without verbal authorization) are questionable. You basically can get two days off every 30 days without being penalized; depending on how well your supervisor likes you, you might be able to swing more. Lots of favoritism here. If you're sick for more than a day, you basically have to suck it up or risk losing your job-- even with a doctor's note.
Having employees on the phones will always beat out health.
Pros
hour lunch breaks
Cons
Saturdays are always understaffed and overwhelming
Releaxed and Collaborative Environment.
Claims Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 5, 2015
While a dynamic and unique culture exists, compensation is well below the market average.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elephant Auto Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8