Elephant Auto Insurance

Elephant Auto Insurance Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace with opportunity for growth
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 24, 2015
Overall Elephant has a great workplace atmosphere and immense opportunity for growth and movement. Management exhibits an overall lack of communication among the employees and each other.
Pros
Rapid hiring process
Cons
Lack of communication
Fun workplace
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VANovember 1, 2015
Elephant is a great place to work with great internal prompting opportunity's.It is a great place to grow and has many internal growth opportunity's. It is a new company so new ideas are always welcome.
Benefits
Cons
Low Compensation
Fun place to work. Good benefits.
P&C Licensed Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2015
Highly recommend. Hours are hard in sales only if you are a single parent.Great office environment. Great sales managers.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Really really fun
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 26, 2015
Take your calls, sell policies, and eat cake! It's a really fun place to work for. No company has their management closer to their employees.
Relaxed Environment
I have already been promoted after 8 months with the company
I love it!
Fun
Contributor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2015
This was my first, and so far only, writing gig. I learned a lot but it was mostly for leisure so I didn't put my full attention into contributing.
Pros
work anytime
Cons
no pay
Helter-skelter
Payment Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 25, 2015
The culture is amazing, allowing individuals to look and dress virtually any way they want; we're on the phones all day, so the company sees no need for us to wear stuffy clothing. Love that aspect.
However, the attendance policy and certain business practices (such as applying sneaky fees and taking money from customers' accounts without verbal authorization) are questionable. You basically can get two days off every 30 days without being penalized; depending on how well your supervisor likes you, you might be able to swing more. Lots of favoritism here. If you're sick for more than a day, you basically have to suck it up or risk losing your job-- even with a doctor's note.
Having employees on the phones will always beat out health.
Pros
hour lunch breaks
Cons
Saturdays are always understaffed and overwhelming
Start-Up Culture Brought to a Boring Industry
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 28, 2015
I can only speak for the support side of the business --pricing, finance, accounting, IT, etc.-- but the culture is awesome. The auto insurance industry in general is incredibly boring with really large/mature players, but my actual job is awesome. The people that I work with are fun and smart. They understand and appreciate sarcasm and are generally good people. We play ping pong and Mario Kart and throw Nerf darts every day and get $1 tacos every Thursday. All the while, the work that we do has a real impact on a rapidly growing and improving business. It is a young company where change happens a lot and reports/rules get thrown out and rebuilt to make the company better. This fast pace and need for constant improvement is not for everyone, so I can understand why the rest of these reviewers could feel the way they do. That said, if you're a twenty-something with a more technical background and aren't a d-bag, my bet is that you'd like it.
Pros
full healthcare, 4 weeks pto, growing company, mario kart
Cons
relatively low salary, boring industry
Releaxed and Collaborative Environment.
Claims Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJanuary 5, 2015
While a dynamic and unique culture exists, compensation is well below the market average.
Shady and horrible dishonest Management
Licensed Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VADecember 23, 2014
I worked there for two years trying to hang on thinking things would get better but the department manager was deceptive, would not communicate changes that would effect pay until after it happened, No training when I started but would hang u out to dry..tell you they have trainings and then cancel them... horrible third party leads...they promise they have an open door policy but they retaliate..people services gossips about everyone's personal business...completely unprofessional company
Pros
benefits, pto
Cons
shady, dishonest, deceptive management
Don't Take Temp to Hire
Frontend Developer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 5, 2014
I was baited for a permanent position after a 3 month temp period. Management liked my work, and the head of my department took some of it to Europe for a big corporate meeting to show off. However at the end of the 3 month period, I was told there were budgetary issues, and they wouldn't be able to offer me a position for at least another month. They offered me a contract position through the end of the year, but the big project they had started me on was on track to be finished by then. It was very clear they were stringing me along and never had any intention of offering me permanent employment. Be wary of temp to hire offers from this company.
Good place to settle down or start out, not to grow a career
Senior Director of Malarkey (Claims Rep) (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen VAAugust 13, 2014
Dont pay well for the most part. Hire under qualified people, for low pay, then give them really high expectations.Seniority plays a big role in the company culture. Great place to get some experience, many opportunities. The environment is fun but can become an issue when you want to take your job seriously.Constant change, for better or for worse.Eyes MUCH bigger than stomach.Work life balance is great. Management is mostly made up of great people who are smart and care about what they do. The good employees tend to leave.
Pros
great experience, good benifits, laid back
Cons
pay, too much direction in every direction, questionable business practices
Awful place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond VAAugust 3, 2014
I was an employee and the training was awful. Most of the time was spent in a room by ourselves doing nothing. When I got out onto the floor, I was given no supplies and no script. There is no one to help you if you have a question and they hold it against you if you take breaks and lunch.
Pros
nice people
Cons
bad management and stressfull work envirnoment
Fun high paced environment
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 20, 2014
Reviewed emails and follow ups. Then proceeded with assisting customers with their accounts
Pros
great bonus and incentive packages
Cons
benifits
Excellent Corporate Culture
Licensed Sales Team Agent (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 7, 2014
Up and coming company with excellent focus on work life balance
HORRIBLE COMPANY
Sales agent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VirginiaJanuary 8, 2014
From the 1st day of training, I knew I wouldn't be employed there long. The company has NO STRUCTURE what so ever. The recruiting process was the only somewhat "structured" piece I've experienced with the company. The training program is elementary, I'm thankful I already had a broad knowledge of insurance prior to sitting through that torture. The management is just as unorganized and scattered. They tell you one thing and then someone literally comes behind them and tells you something else. It's ridiculous! The benefits and pay aren't worth anything unless you're just desperate for a job for the moment (was my case until recently). This company doesn't set you up for success what so ever! I'm surprised they haven't ran into any lawsuits as of yet! They don't care about employees health or what's going on in your personal life, they expect you to be at work whether your on your death bed or recovering from a family death. I was let go simply because my doctor needed me out of work for a week because I'm pregnant with the flu and dehydration! If you can find something else, I would! They have the worst attendance policy I've ever seen! It's really no room for unexpected occurrences to happen because you'll surely be out of the door! The company as a whole is tacky, unprofessional and I for one regret even sending my resume in and wasting my time! SAVE YOURSELF!
Pros
nothing
Cons
attendance policy, training program, management, benefits and pay, building set up, parking, staff, human resources
Needs more structure
Network / Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 21, 2013
This company is good to start working for, especially if you are staring IT. The pay is very competitive, however, management lacks structure and communication.
A competitive and challenging business constantly changing and adapting to today's culture.
Call Center Manager, Account Manager, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJJune 19, 2013
Controlling the queue, service levels and attendance is always key, yet the main focus which reaps the best benefits is spending the time to enhance the agent's capabilities. A knowledgeable confident agent will always bring in the best results while maintaining a positive attitude.
Management was always ready to assist and did so in a professional manner. As you grow with a company you realize the stressful times are an opportunity to go out there and put forth your best effort to win the game. Everyone worked well together even at times banging heads but always coming together.
Of my co workers i enjoyed spending time with them, to me it's important to let agent's "have their say". By letting them speak their mind you can understand how to guide them when coaching.
The hardest part of this job would be sudden changes taking place and quickly adapting to new projects with little training. Trial and error was a major part of this job. As a company communication must be improved.
As stressful and challenging as that was i found it the most exciting part of the job to lead a group to success by using your own idea's, input and strategies.
Pros
contests to keep a strong moral
Cons
as a company communication should be improved
Unique culture with great benefits, room for advancement and open communication
Elephant Employee (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMay 6, 2013
Great place to work where everyone is friendly, and the benefits are great. Can't beat the work environment!
Pros
great benefits, relaxed atmosphere
Great company to work for!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAApril 22, 2013
Elephant Insurance has an excellent corporate structure and they give you the tools to be your own boss. It has a casual work environment but the main focus is still on getting the job done. Elephant is a place where you can develop your career skills and have fun at the same time. We do it right first time, every time!
Pros
job development, culture, benefits