Elgin Community College Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 15, 2017
I started as a temp and worked the job for 8 months. I had to apply and interview for the position. I was told that I was doing a great job and they strung me along for the entire time and then told me the day my temporary status expired that I did not get the job. I would not recommend this employer nor would I recommend attending the college.
good for students
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 22, 2017
I don't know about full time employees. I was a student worker, so I didn't receive any benefits and was paid very little. One of the perks was that the school worked around my class schedule.
Computer Lab Aide
Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 15, 2017
I loved this job the most because I could do my homework while working and I engaged with other students. I was their to help incoming students understand ECC's applications in the library and the phenomenal pro about this job was that I learned a lot from other students as well.
Pros
Students and Professors are nice and helpful. Had my own desk and computer.
Awesome place to work for!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 30, 2016
I loved working at Elgin Community College because they gave me the opportunity to have a very flexible schedule and I was also attending school there.
Easy light work load
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 19, 2016
Upside is there is no heavy work no hard deadlines. You get all the time necessary to finish the job. No micromanaging.
Downside is the time. Start late in the evening leave early in the morning.
My experience has been extremely gratifying working with students and colleagues as well as agencies in the community to meet the needs of the student
Trio Student Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 13, 2016
Fortunately...there is no typical day. The main goal of my position is to work with the underserved, first generation, low income and documented handicap students to ensure success navigating their way through the educational process. I also develop programming through workshops and continual face to face meetings to assist with challenges.
I have learned that their is no typical college student, everyone has to be handled on an individual basis to tailor make an assessment plan to ensure their success.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I see my students walk across the stage for graduation. It is the most gratifying feeling and I fun-fill my passion for helping others to achieve the life that they thought were only dreams.
Pros
Great place to work, tuition reimbursement, dedicated employees
Cons
Benefits for Part-time employees could improve
Competent setting
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 16, 2016
Coworkers are welcoming and assist you if you are having trouble.
I've learned team work exercises
Management was reasonable
No project was hard do to assistance
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Great place to be a part of.
Group Fitness Instructor / staff (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 26, 2016
Wonderful and diverse place to work.
Working with students in the fitness center has been a
very rewarding experience.
Pros
Fitness Center
Cons
i rate this place a very bad place to work at...
3rd shift custodian (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 20, 2016
I was wrongly fired from elgin community college on September 15 2014...They never was willing to work with me about putting me on weekends only in the housekeeping department..Being they fired me now they have weekend custodian jobs now...All I want is my part time custodian job back...Its a very bad college to work for look at what they did to me...They never once worked with me with my full time job i had..Once they got rid of me then they started weekend jobs only...
Pros
Its a great place to work at
Cons
Management and the union and H/R all suck there
Lots of very immature people, very selfish culture
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 14, 2016
I was required to work overtime a lot which was very hard for my work life balance needs.

I learned a lot about unions and a lot of different academic environments and how they worked. I had more work at this job than I ever had. That isn't a bad thing, but just a reality. The college always seems really understaffed and that doesn't seem to improve.

I had only a few co-workers that were decent to me, so many of them were backstabbing and poor communicators. I felt like there was always a target on my back. I've never dreaded going to work more than this job.

I was frequently harassed for my race (white) and it seemed to be a non issue unless people were harassed that were more ethnic. I found this to be incredibly racist.
Pros
Great benefits all around
Cons
Bad atmosphere, nothing seems to get solved, better to just work alone
Elgin Community College is good place to work, and I enjoy working with my co-worker and supervisor.
Testing Assistant (Current Employee) –  1700 Spartan Dr. Elgin IL 60123July 20, 2016
Good environment to work, have great opportunity to improve computer skills and proctoring knowledge. I enjoy the team work experience with co-worker and supervisor.
I had a great career at ECC and enjoyed the teaching and conducting.
Professor of Choral Music (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 2, 2016
During my time at ECC I helped the music department to grow with increasing the number of class offerings. I expanded the musical theatre program and initiated a vocal jazz ensemble. I served as the coordinator of the music department for a decade.
Pros
Working with young people and building a program.
Cons
Having the music students for only two years.
Front Desk in HR
Front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 10, 2015
Not the best job, but it paid for well. Constantly interacted with faculty and staff and helped file and schedule appts. for employees at the college.
Flexible working schedule
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
A good part time position which helped me to work around my class schedules. I enjoyed working there. Faculties were very nice to me and help me in many ways.
Great place to work if money is not a driving consideration
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 28, 2015
Overall as an adjunct instructor you are at the mercy of enrollment numbers. If there are not enough students signed up for your slotted class then you don't teach that semester. That can be a bummer but its that way as an adjunct anywhere. So if you are not dependent on the small salary you get as an instructor then this is great. The class sizes are small enough so that you can be on a more personal level with the class and you can be more creative with your lectures.
Pros
Small class rooms, great support staff
Cons
small salary, unpredictable work loads.
Good College, good effort in attracting diversity students
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 16, 2015
This is as good a community college as one will experience. They have a log of good faculty and professors and they really want students to succeed.
Pros
Diversity Committment
Cons
Horrible benefits for adjunct
Great people
Payroll Specialist/Human Resources Department (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 17, 2015
Working at ECC was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
The atmosphere was positive and the workers were very helpful. Working in an education based facility made me want to continue my own education.
Healthy work environment
Adjunct Professor - part time teacher (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 14, 2015
The facilities are excellent which supports and allows tasks to be completed. Staff and administration are all helpful to any concerns employees may have.
Pros
Healthy work environment
Cons
Not regular teaching offerings
Very exciting!
Instructor Medical Billing (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 1, 2015
I love teaching the students who may be changing their focus. Since this position is continuing education it is very fulfilling to work with older students in learning a new career.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
Would like to have more students sign up.
Lead Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 10, 2015
Worked there 10 years and it was the best 10 years. Worked in the child care and loved it. The co-workers where great and I'M still friends with many of the them. the best part of the job was the children and staff. The hardest part of the job was leaving because of my moving.