Elgin Community College Employee Reviews

i rate this place a very bad place to work at...
3rd shift custodian (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 20, 2016
I was wrongly fired from elgin community college on September 15 2014...They never was willing to work with me about putting me on weekends only in the housekeeping department..Being they fired me now they have weekend custodian jobs now...All I want is my part time custodian job back...Its a very bad college to work for look at what they did to me...They never once worked with me with my full time job i had..Once they got rid of me then they started weekend jobs only...
Pros
Its a great place to work at
Cons
Management and the union and H/R all suck there
Lots of very immature people, very selfish culture
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILSeptember 14, 2016
I was required to work overtime a lot which was very hard for my work life balance needs.

I learned a lot about unions and a lot of different academic environments and how they worked. I had more work at this job than I ever had. That isn't a bad thing, but just a reality. The college always seems really understaffed and that doesn't seem to improve.

I had only a few co-workers that were decent to me, so many of them were backstabbing and poor communicators. I felt like there was always a target on my back. I've never dreaded going to work more than this job.

I was frequently harassed for my race (white) and it seemed to be a non issue unless people were harassed that were more ethnic. I found this to be incredibly racist.
Pros
Great benefits all around
Cons
Bad atmosphere, nothing seems to get solved, better to just work alone
Elgin Community College is good place to work, and I enjoy working with my co-worker and supervisor.
Testing Assistant (Current Employee) –  1700 Spartan Dr. Elgin IL 60123July 20, 2016
Good environment to work, have great opportunity to improve computer skills and proctoring knowledge. I enjoy the team work experience with co-worker and supervisor.
Great place to be a part of.
Group Fitness Instructor / staff (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 26, 2016
Wonderful and diverse place to work.
Working with students in the fitness center has been a
very rewarding experience.
Pros
Fitness Center
Cons
I had a great career at ECC and enjoyed the teaching and conducting.
Professor of Choral Music (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 2, 2016
During my time at ECC I helped the music department to grow with increasing the number of class offerings. I expanded the musical theatre program and initiated a vocal jazz ensemble. I served as the coordinator of the music department for a decade.
Pros
Working with young people and building a program.
Cons
Having the music students for only two years.
Great place to work if money is not a driving consideration
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 28, 2015
Overall as an adjunct instructor you are at the mercy of enrollment numbers. If there are not enough students signed up for your slotted class then you don't teach that semester. That can be a bummer but its that way as an adjunct anywhere. So if you are not dependent on the small salary you get as an instructor then this is great. The class sizes are small enough so that you can be on a more personal level with the class and you can be more creative with your lectures.
Pros
Small class rooms, great support staff
Cons
small salary, unpredictable work loads.
Front Desk in HR
Front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 10, 2015
Not the best job, but it paid for well. Constantly interacted with faculty and staff and helped file and schedule appts. for employees at the college.
Flexible working schedule
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
A good part time position which helped me to work around my class schedules. I enjoyed working there. Faculties were very nice to me and help me in many ways.
Good College, good effort in attracting diversity students
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 16, 2015
This is as good a community college as one will experience. They have a log of good faculty and professors and they really want students to succeed.
Pros
Diversity Committment
Cons
Horrible benefits for adjunct
Healthy work environment
Adjunct Professor - part time teacher (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 14, 2015
The facilities are excellent which supports and allows tasks to be completed. Staff and administration are all helpful to any concerns employees may have.
Pros
Healthy work environment
Cons
Not regular teaching offerings
Great people
Payroll Specialist/Human Resources Department (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 17, 2015
Working at ECC was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
The atmosphere was positive and the workers were very helpful. Working in an education based facility made me want to continue my own education.
Exciting environment for enhancing lives for students futures for tomorrow
Trio Student Support Advisor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, IllinoisNovember 25, 2013
This is a faced paced environment where you are responsible for the educational, personal, cultural and individual needs of students that are first generation, low income or have special needs. The most enjoyable part of this position is to see a student aspire to their goals and flourish in their field of studies and graduate.
Pros
four day work week in the summer, major holidays of, i.e., Martin Luther King day
Cons
Part-time health care benefits are not competitve with the industry
A lot of building of props and setting up for events
Sound Tech/Carpenter Tech (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2012
Being that I run sound for events I also work with a team of people (6-7) in the shop in which, we build props for plays and maintain the theaters. Since I was hired the learning process of behind the scenes production is very important from building props, to hanging them on arbors, and practicing cues before the days of performance. The biggest things I learned was professionalism and how to build stable props and make them look good.
Very exciting!
Instructor Medical Billing (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 1, 2015
I love teaching the students who may be changing their focus. Since this position is continuing education it is very fulfilling to work with older students in learning a new career.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
Would like to have more students sign up.
Lead Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 10, 2015
Worked there 10 years and it was the best 10 years. Worked in the child care and loved it. The co-workers where great and I'M still friends with many of the them. the best part of the job was the children and staff. The hardest part of the job was leaving because of my moving.
fun place to work.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILJuly 17, 2014
good workplace. learned to interact with people more. got me out of my "shy shell".most of the time felt like working with family.
Pros
we got free lunch during our break.got free uniforms, and learned to make new products and taste new drinks, and sanwiches to better benifit the customer.
Cons
it was partime job, so we didnt have healthcare benifits.
Superb place where office skills were essential to the job.
Student Worker - Career Services (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 22, 2012
Keyboarding skills a plus.
Co-workers phenomenal to work with.
Weekly updating of Job Boards on campus.
Formulate Packets by the direction of the Office Administrator
Pros
view campus schedule in advance
Cons
loud public office
I love transporting my students to and from the Upward Bound Program.
Transportation quardinator (Current Employee) –  MPC buildingOctober 21, 2011
I truly enjoy my transportation experience with all of my students in the Upward Bound Program at Elgin Community College.
Pros
the students are very grown up ., students very respectful
Cons
a very good job
A highly rated continuing education institution.
Part Time Instructor in the HVAC technical school. (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILApril 17, 2012
A respected institution for continuing education addressing electronic,HVAC,nursing and culinary markets.
Pros
graduation ceremonies.
Cons
none that are important to dwell on.
Very outgoing, friendly place.
Outreach Office Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJanuary 10, 2012
Focused on helping others, and making every process easier and comfortable for the students.

Each challenge was a satisfying defeat. Every Employee, Staff, Faculty, and Director, were very dedicated.

4.4