Elizabeth City State University Employee Reviews

Great opportunity for students and fellow staff
Work study student (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 22, 2016
A typical work day was enjoyable with fellow staff. I learned to multi-task and plan ahead. coworkers were like family. The hardest part of the job was staying up on enrollment and trying to recruit a certain amount of students. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the campus is very family oriented so everyone has close relationships with peers.
Pros
family oriented atmosphere
Cons
lay offs
Worked for more than 15 years at ECSU.
DIRECTOR OF AUXILIARY SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 14, 2016
The Auxiliary Services team provided a great working environment. Team-work and care for the job and our work environment was at a high level. The Auxiliary Services team provided excellent customer service to the clientele.
Pros
Great Auxiliary Services Staff
Cons
Decisions for RIFs
Not a bad place to work at all
Technology Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJuly 15, 2016
Co-workers were relatively easy to get along with. I could go and ask them anything related to the job. They were very helpful. I had one of the best supervisors I've ever worked for.
Pros
Relaxed environment, great pay
Cons
I was temporary so I didn't get any benefits
Nice environment.Community involved
EHS Professional/Emergency Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 20, 2016
It is a nice place to work but there some drawbacks as it relates to promotions. My department is more like family. It is located close to Outer Banks, NC.
go place to work except little advancement
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMarch 15, 2016
This is a small university in northeastern North Carolina, it educates and enhances students of all races. It is a pleasant atmosphere yet it lacks advancement and the pay is not up to par in relation to other campuses.
Productive workplace
FACILITY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 5, 2016
Expected to keep daily schedule running smoothly, update any necessary documents, assist in whatever needs supervisor has.
Excellent
Recording Secretary (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMarch 18, 2016
Excellent, very great place to work for. Very great atmosphere, lively interaction, family oriented, classy. Would recommend this place to a friend.
Fun and entertaining
Sports Management Internship (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCOctober 29, 2015
Nice place to work. Friendly coworkers. Learned a lot from the staff as well as the students. Life learned experience. Learned to manage the team as well as to manage a facility.
It was a laid back job. It was very simple.
Office Assitant (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJuly 3, 2015
Upon request, I would do work in the office like filling, sorting, and organizing. This is the first job that taught me or helped me to understand work in the office. Management was poor due to the fact that the people working in the office wouldn't have things for me to do daily, even though they were suppose to, and they didn't explain how they wanted the work done. The hardest part about working here was sitting around waiting for work to be given to me. There wasn't an hourly pay so being there without work to do was a waste of my time. The most enjoyable part of working there was being able to work by myself.
Pros
We were provided with lunch.
Cons
It was a work study so the compensation was poor.
Great co-workers to work with-
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCOctober 12, 2015
great co-workers to work with to get eh job done--great pay and benefits too-enjoyed the work-responsible for your own areas
Pros
Great benefits and co-workers-worked as a team
Cons

Want to know more about Elizabeth City State University?

Ask a question
Too many students per class (45 or more)
part-time professor of Health Concepts and Dance (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCSeptember 22, 2014
I truly enjoyed teaching and know my students liked me and learned a substantial amount. I got along very well with my co-workers; we were like a family. The hardest part of the job was when we part-time employees were informed that the University did not have the funds to pay us in the middle of a semester. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually teaching; I loved it.
Pros
flexible schedule; loved teaching
Cons
not being paid as contract stated.
School
Resident assistant Supervise over those living (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMay 31, 2015
I enjoyed working for Elizabeth City though it was to help me pay for school, the amazing people I met in the process will be forever in my heart and even a few of them are one of my best friends.
Productive and relaxed work environment
Music Librarian Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCApril 1, 2014
Typically at work, I perform tasks such as, shelving books, making posters or flyers, sewing music scores into pamphlet binders, organize music, etc. I learned how to properly read call numbers on books and music scores and how to create posters/public relations for upcoming events in the department, or for new items in the library. There isn't anything that is hard about my job, and I enjoy it because I can stay relaxed while performing my job.
Pros
flexible work hours, great supervisor, calm working environment
Cons
extremely quiet at times
Procedural Power with lack of competency
Executive Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCFebruary 2, 2014
This University is unlike anywhere I have every worked, it is not as organized and systematic as I expected and hoped that it would be. Employees are not compensated at the rate they should be and the heavy politics and fear of losing your job keeps employees in a constant state of stress.

The Leadership leaves much to be desired, they are not qualified to do the job but because of the small town and lack of good talent, things go undone and quality is not their primary focus.
Overall a grweat place to work
Financial aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 22, 2014
I loved working there and learning new things and meeting new people. I have always loved helping people in any way. Daily I would file financial documents. Management was very helpful and was always there when I needed help. I absolutely loved my co- workers they were a joy to be around. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry students when their financial aid was not completed correctly. Actually helping the students was the highlight of each of my days.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
not being able to help everyone in one day
Productive and fun work envirnment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 11, 2014
I love getting up the morning coming to work monday thru friday 530-230 everyday ,i get along with my co-workers,the hardest jobs was cleaning students rooms when leave for the summer and the enjoyable moments getting along with the students,and faculty and staff.
Pros
thanksgiving dinners, and christmas dinners
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCSeptember 9, 2013
Teach students the basics and history of step aerobics. Help them understand the concept of “safe” aerobics classes using correct form and music speed. In addition, responsible for preparing mid-term and final exams as well as keeping track of attendance and grading.

Other duties: Teach students basic health & fitness topics such as physical health, community health, environmental health, spiritual health, financial health, etc.
Working at Elizabeth city State University was a fun workplace.
Building Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCOctober 2, 2013
Working at Elizabeth city State University was a fun workplace.Where there was chances for advancements.While working there I learned some better ways to clean and get the job done in a faster way,but done properly.My co-workers showed me how to do my job in a safer matter and how to be a teamworker. My most enjoyable part of the job was to make the building clean for the students and workers.i also enjoyed making it a safe enviorment.
Pros
keeping the environment clean and professional for the students, staff and faculty.
Cons
sometimes we did not have enough supplies to complete tasks.
Ecsu was a good work and learning experince
Construction worker/demolition/painter (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCAugust 9, 2012
The day to day assigninment were to prime and sand the walls and fill in the the noticible holes or dents in the surface, tape off all the spaces that were not to be painted and then we proceded with painting. what i learned was how to uses various techniqes in mixing the pimer. how to use the spay painter tools to bring th desired density of paint to the surface. I also learned how to follow a chain of command from my fellow workers which had more exoperience than i and even though I have previous experience , i took their advice and got better.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
A college computer lab with opportunity
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCOctober 10, 2012
This was a laid back environment where students mainly conducted research. It was the main room for the Center of Excellence in Remote Sensing Education and Research Scholarship program. Typical days consisted of completing tasks given by the program supervisor ranging from cleaning the lab, computers, installing programs, and helping with the general upkeep of the lab. It was not a challenging job at all, coworkers were compliant and helpful.

Elizabeth City State University Reviews by Location