Elk Grove Unified School District

Elk Grove Unified School District United States Employee Reviews

great schools district
Program Educator Substitute (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAFebruary 20, 2015
I love working with the Elk Grove Unified School District. The people are always friendly and professional. They value their work. It great to work with the families and students that attend the schools I worked for. The benefits and pay are very good as well.
EGUSD
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAJanuary 31, 2015
I liked working for the school district. l loved my job. The pay was decent and it was nice meeting new people all the time. Always experiencing something new each day in different classrooms.
LOVE working with kids!
Para Educator (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I loved working with kids, especially kids that need a little of extra help, love,and support. i would absolutely have stayed in the school district if I could live off the low paying salary.
Outstanding Job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Elk Grove ElemDecember 5, 2014
Working in this district has been nothing but a joy! I would recommend this district to anyone who is interested in teaching or anything that has to do with the school system.
Paraeducator
Para Educator (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CAAugust 7, 2014
Love my job but the organization of the administration staff was horrible. They really need to work on communication
Fun Substitute Para Position
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMay 7, 2014
Pros: had many different experiences
Cons: substitute position so it was't reliable money
Employed at the Elk Grove School District as a para-educator substitute. I assisted teachers at various elementary schools.
I enjoy working in this district as it offers a variety of schools, and students.
Substitute Teacher, K-12 (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CAApril 25, 2014
Cons: not a full time position.
There is not a typical day, the various schools in the district offer a variety of students from varied socioeconomic backgrounds as well as ethnicity.
fast moving ,fun job
Yard duty (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: working with the kids
Cons: short hours
I really enjoyed it and working with the kids i got to know lots of new people
fun place to work
sub food service worker (Current Employee), elk grove caJanuary 22, 2014
doesn't require a lot of maintenance. come in set p up and get ready for lunch time with the kids.
Great district to work for
Maintenance & Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CADecember 10, 2013
Pros: great personal reward of seeing students achieve
Cons: very large district
EGUSD is a very fast paced school district with over 62,000 students that does not loose focus as a district and sticks true to their mission. As a manager overseeing employees spread out our over 300 square miles time management and employee interaction was the most vital aspect of my position. Working in a school district the main focus and recognition is put towards the educating staff with little towards the maintenance and custodial staffs. So as a manager it was important to get my employees to see the bigger picture of giving ever student the opportunity to learn in a safe, clean, and stable environment for them to learn at their highest potential.
Great Employer
Intervention Educator (Current Employee), Sacramento, CASeptember 3, 2013
Career oriented. Full support from administration. Working with students and staff a plus. Good advancement options.
boring
Service Clerk (Former Employee), elk groveAugust 1, 2013
I liked the job but I had no one else to work with so it was kind of boring but I still kept up with my work
Good experience
Guest Teacher (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CAMay 29, 2013
very flexible hours and you only hav to work when you choose to as a sub and you get to choose the classes and schools you attend
Public education system where I assisted children in their academic growth.
Para Educator (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CAMay 2, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: no health benefits
This is a wonderful and rewarding position that allowed me to grow in many areas.
Friendly and fun place to work.
LVN (Former Employee), Irene B. West Elem. School- Elk Grove, CAMarch 31, 2013
Pros: awesome schedule.
Cons: not enough hours per week, would like to work 8 hour days instead of 6 hour days.
A typical day at work would be busy, but fun. I learned a lot about diabetic care and insulin pumps. I had a wonderful manager who was very personable and made herself available to me when I needed her. I enjoyed working with teachers and students. The hardest part of the job was when you worked at a different school to cover someone else and figuring out another nurses routine, with children routine is very important. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with children on their independence and seeing them learn about their illness and how to take care of themselves. Most of the children really like the independence as they get around 2nd grade.
Productive Place
Office Assistance (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: great staff
Everyday, I answer phone calls, greet parents and guests, send out student files, and use office equipments- fax, copier and computer to complete daily tasks.
Nice job, terrible managers
Bus Driver (Current Employee), TransportationFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: good job
Cons: crummy morale, have to be in the click
This is a great job, and the kids and teachers are wonderful.

The transportation managers are very unfair in their treatment of employees. They play favorites to relatives and friends, and to people they drink with on weekends. Those who aren't part of the inner group are denied work, and pay, while those who're part of the "in" crowd are given perks and special treatment.

Staff who've spoken out against this treatment and the perks given to friends have been demoted, fired, and ostracized. Over the years I've seen several of the best staff passed over for promotions in favor of family members and drinking buddies of the management-even those with college degrees are ignored while those who have none are promoted. We've seen drivers arrested for DUI's and drugs re-hired because they're family members and friends of the management, but good employees have been let go for much less.

Some office staff are forced to work evenings and weekends without pay to cover for employees who don't come to work or have been cut due to the budget. Several of those employees have been threatened or fired when they asked to be paid for their work, or asked for equal treatment. Others who've been awarded as the best in the industry have left the department for other districts and departments because they weren't part of the "in" crowd or they knew too much about what really happens inside the walls.

The employees are required to be part of the union, but the union leaders just serve themselves and their drinking buddies. The union leaders vacation with the management, and travel to exotic conferences – more... together at the district's expense, but don't represent the staff unless it benefits the "in" group.

The supervisors and managers often come to work late, leave early, take 2-4 hour lunches, or don't come to work at all, without any consequences. Drivers, mechanics, and office staff are sharply disciplined for the same, unless they're part of the inner circle mentioned above.

Although they have nice buses, good kids, and friendly mechanics, I wouldn't recommend this job to a friend because of the terrible management. It used to be the best, but now it's just one of the rest. – less
Good District, leadership that promotes mediocrity
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Transportation DepartmentJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: generous holidays, friendly school staff
Cons: poor leadership in some areas
As a school district, the primary focus of this district is on children, which makes the job of a school bus driver rewarding and refreshing. The overall feel and function of the district is positive, and the general motivation to serve children is shared by most "in the trenches".

Unfortunately, the leadership of the transportation department is more interested in promoting friends and family, and supporting mediocrity, than in providing superior safety and service to their staff and students. Staff who stand up or stand out for something that's not being done correctly or safely are frequently singled out, passive-aggressively harassed, belittled, bullied, forced to resign, or terminated. Those who remain are frequently reminded they can be easily replaced, and turnover is relatively high as a result.

Staff in positions of authority, and union leaders, generally serve their own interests and those of their friends and family, while average drivers and other staff who aren't part of the "in" clique are pushed aside, ignored, and short-changed in order to provide perks for the "in" group.

Due to the largess of the district and lack of direct oversight, the upper leadership of the district turns a blind-eye on these practices and allows the department leaders to operate underground and inefficiently as a result. When staff express concerns to their supervisors, they're told to accept the status quo or move-on. If parents or staff concerns are shared further up the leadership chain, the superintendent and school board just hand the concerns right back to the supervisors and – more... managers the employees sought to address - and the issues are swept under the rug while the affected employee is disciplined for speaking out. The departmental leaders seek to maintain a positive image of themselves at all costs, and issues are dealt with by punishing those who speak out rather than resolving problems and preventing new ones before they start.

Although the district was once a leader in the area and industry, it's declined in recent years due to the strain of poor budgetary times, insufficient oversight, and the watering-down effects of managerial inbreeding. Although the district has sharply reduced its budget through workforce reductions and reduced employee compensation, the effects of waste and ineffective efforts continue to dog the district and drive a decline in employee morale. In 15 years I've seen some of the best staff in the industry become demoralized and succumb to either quitting or avoiding anything that makes waves in order to keep their jobs. Those who wish to advance must do so at the peril of their own positive values, and should expect to be asked to sell their soul in exchange for promotion to the inner circle.

I would recommend this district for the opportunity to work with talented and enthusiastic teachers and students, but would caution a new employee to avoid high expectations and to go in knowing you'll need to keep your head down and trust not your peers or supervisors for fear they'll turn against you if the wind blows that way.

When I retire in a few years, I enjoy the job so much that I look forward to substituting - but in a neighboring district. – less
Sales positions are comision only
Assist in Maintaining (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CADecember 11, 2012
I ENJOYED BEING A MANAGER AT THIS COMPANY, GREAT EMPLOYESS, GOOD SALES WHEN BUISNESS IS UP AND GREAT BONUSES
community day school
Teacher (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 16, 2012
Pros: the other teacher i worked with was good for the students
Cons: working in a facility that should have been condemed
The classroom consisted of an old run down garage in an area of Sacramento that was known for its drive-bys and gang affiliations. The students were all special education students