ELKHORN CONSTRUCTION Employee Reviews in United States

Poor management and planning
fitter, I (Former Employee) –  New Martinsville, WVJune 15, 2016
Foremen was inexperienced and so was his boss. I with 13 years experience was not impressed at all. I did most of the planing and the foremen was mainly offsite and we also had no prints, Iso or Ortho.
Pros
The only positive is the project was in the nice mountines
Cons
unprofessional and inexperience upper management
Elkhorn was a growing and challange
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Rifle, COMay 14, 2016
This was a tough challenge between design and installation it was a good experience To figure out and red line and to make changes on the run it really kept me busy I learned there is a lot of gray area I always except a challenge on my ability to pull through
You get exactly what they tell you
Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYFebruary 13, 2016
You have a plethora of available schedules depending on the site you are assigned to. They pay you for what you work regularly and fairly, but no holidays or sick days. After a few years you move from a week of vacation time to two and the retirement plan netted me more than 40 k in 6 years.
Pros
Honesty, safety, pleny of entry level positions when they are hiring
Cons
You only really get paid for hours worked, no sick days.
This was a fun productive learning and working enviroment, the only thing i didnt like was the lack of time off and the travel away from home.
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYJanuary 27, 2016
Challenging and productive work environment. Had the pleasure to work with a lot of diverse, fun and intelligent people. The typical day was busy with a lot of planning and strategizing to accomplish the days goals of fabricating and installation of piping system and equipment. I learned a lot from working with other crafts to complete the jobs in a safe and timely manor. I really liked working with people from different cultures and ethnicities, sharing food and memorable stories of our pasts.
Pros
the ESOP program and fun co-workers
Cons
long work weeks and little time off
fun to work with this company always something new to do
pipe fitter helper, QC, Roustabout. (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDFebruary 26, 2016
had always something new to do. they would usually have you help any craft if any of the normal activities was slow. learned different craftx and gain experience.helped in any way we could and learned a lot.
fan company to work for.
Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 3, 2016
I have work for them the last 17 years.is a blast of fan when you are lorning somting evry day of my curier. I like to come back and see all my coworkers at Elkhorn.
Pros
experiensed crew
Cons
short of vision to future.
wpx client , new site locations
Electrical Helper (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, NMOctober 26, 2015
work with electrical and mechanical crafts closely which a lot of communication was need. typical day work was good keep me busy, I was just installing devices and my foreman ask if I want to learned how to terminate PLC and junction boxes this was all low voltage DC power and a little bit of AC power ,so work with DC a lot management was good no problems. what I enjoy the most working was the co-workers and management was great
productive and good working plan
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Orla, TXFebruary 14, 2016
need to be more open to employees opportunities, open to let people grow and develop ideas.
good plan poor interaction with employees.
Productive workplace, vibrant, good teamwork
Welder Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COOctober 30, 2015
A typical work day consisted of building a refinery. It involved assisting in welding and grinding metal. Loading and unloading equipment necessary for the job at hand. I learned how to use cutting tools, (torches etc) as well as, welding equipment and certain safety equipment. My co-workers were typically very upbeat and welcoming. Management was harsh and under tons of stress, causing outbursts and sometimes a lack of communication however, they took care of their employees as much as possible by protecting us from harm and sometimes feeding us. The hardest part of the job were the hours. 70 plus per week. The most enjoyable part of the job was being there for my uncle. I didn't need the job. I was there to help out a family member.
Pros
Building a natural gas refinery and knowing it would help others
Cons
Being away from my family. The job was in another state and I had to relocate temporarily.
Not a bad company
Welder/Fabricator (Current Employee) –  debeque coloradoJanuary 19, 2016
Good work environment, good employees. The only thing I don't like is when times are slow your job isn't secure. Other than that a decent company to work for.
good place to work
Pipeline Technician (Former Employee) –  Ponca City, OKFebruary 4, 2016
Really good place to work if you like to work as a contractor for oilfield. Great benefits and really took care of its employees.
Total lack of communication between upper management and field staff.
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Keene, N.D.September 3, 2015
Total disregard of employees and their lives. Was not informed of lay-off. I was told I had a week to 10 days off between jobs, was strung out for a month, they get not get the contract for the new job. When my wife called about our insurance benefits we were informed that I was laid-off one month earlier and had not been informed.
Always in a Rush
Operator, Laborer (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WYNovember 15, 2015
Good jobs for the money, usually work 6-10 hour days per week although 7-12 hour days are also commonplace. You are always in the elements.
Pros
per diems, usually steady work
Cons
weather, old fashioned managers
Fun and productive workplace.
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Riverton, WYAugust 11, 2015
I had a great time working with the company. My busiest times would be in the mornings when construction workers needed to pick up tools and at closing times when they returned the tools. My co-workers where great I enjoyed every day spent at work. The hardest part of the job was waking up at 4:00 a.m. to the cold weather.
Construction for pipeline, facility projects. Owned by financial group
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Longmont, ColoradoAugust 26, 2015
Acceptable safety culture in that industry. Able to work with most clients in their market. Organization part of Wood Group in England. Their evolution includes several sub companies to include manufacturing, painting and pipeline.
Good company to work with
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  North DakotaJuly 30, 2015
The work environment was good and learnable management was very understandable and caring, A typical day at work was we had a morning meeting then the forman meet with there workers alighned out work for the day
Pros
The management appreciated us & assisted us
Cons
there were none
Review of Elkhorn Construction Company, LLC
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 25, 2015
A typical workday would begin by having a daily safety call from around the US discussing plans for the week. Then, my boss and I would discuss my plans for the week and I would travel to one of our local jobs or travel to a job by plane or driving to a job that was within driving distance.
Pros
Beginning of my Safety Career
Cons
Too much work for the time available.
Pretty good Company to work for.
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYMarch 27, 2015
Operated 90ton Grove crane. Fairly productive most days, some days not so much due to poor preparation. Co-workers were knowledgeable and good to work with. Management was adequate but middle management could improve in task assignment. Tough days in Jan. and Feb. in North Dakota. Enjoyed the work as a whole.
Pros
Profit Sharing employee owned company.
Cons
Unscheduled 15-16 hr days too often.
Elkhorn Cont.
Welder's Helper/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COMay 12, 2015
Was a good place to work just the fact of the oil fields dropping oil prices, there isnt any work at all.
Typical work day lead to getting my welders things out and ready for work. I learned a lot from fitting pipe to laying pipe in the ground.
If you can BS and talk a lot of nothing you are in. But if you work,they will let you go
Welder (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTJanuary 23, 2015
Shop is clean and orderly,mostly family work here. So chance to work there long term is not possible. The shop foreman is not to keen on keeping his word,and unable to treat folks with respect.
Pros
free water and ice
Cons
foreman stringent on breaks can't be longer than time unless you are in

2.8