Elliot Hospital Employee Reviews

In the department I worked in it was so much work unfair compensation and management looked to mistreat you because of the turn around rate.
Patient transporter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 18, 2015
The elliot hospital staff as a whole is a decent hospital with great staff. The transport department is a whole different story. Now a typical day at work was a hard days work which i loved. Especially interacting with all sorts of patients with different problems and getting to know them as their stay at the hospital progressed. We transported patients from all floors to all testing departments.

I learned alot from the job because i was exposed to every department and all sorts of patients. People skills and putting on a happy face and making happy conversation to brighten up someones day was a must and we learned it quick. Being fast and efficient at the job even when moving 500+ pounds was a necessity and you had to be good at it. Organization skills of hospital equipment, time management, learning how to use patients lifting and moving equipment. How to move patients properly.

Management was a joke in my department they had no problem doing nothing about taking care of problems you had they expected you to work through rather than do anything to help they employee do their jobs better. They had no problem changing your schedule without notifying you to better suit their needs whether you could work that day or not. There was no praise for going above and beyond but the smallest mistake was critically scrutinized. No matter how many shifts you picked up people you helped if you called out one day with doctors note or not for a legitimate reason you were called into the office and written up. I was written up when i had to call out because of my fathers death. Which was
  more... disgusting. I put in a letter of resignation after about 2 years just for HR to say no we need you we can work around your schedule (it was the holiday season) and we will talk to management. Once the holidays were over i was called into the office and fired for a reason that did not happen. They use their employees treat them as they are expendable to scare them into doing whatever they say. They are terrible people and HR collaborates with them just as menacingly while acting like they are. Having said that I loved doing my job and I loved my patients.

The turn around rate was so bad that you never knew who you were going to work with and most of the time they didnt do the job correctly and it came down on the veterans not the new people and when i say we had new people every couple months and people leave every couple months its not a joke. Mostly due to management lying about what your hours would be and making you work something you stated you could not do.

Hardest part of the Job was dealing with managements constant negative reinforcement while doing your best and being called the best transporter in the department on all the floors of the hospital, I enjoyed the hard patients like 500+ pounds and ICU patients its was fun and i learned a lot from the harder runs.

The most enjoyable and special experience i got daily from this job was the relationship with the patients. Meeting new ones, and especially repeat patients who would request you by name because they had such a good experience with you. I miss working in an environment like that.
Pros
great patients, time flew working with patients.
Cons
managements was terrible, human resources didnt work to help the employees at all.
Very bad place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentOctober 16, 2015
Worked at this hospital for 18 years, finally woke up and gave my 2 week notice to this terrible place and happily, never looked back. Over the past several years, staff have lost a lot of compensation gains they had earned over the past 10 - 15 years. Worse however than these net losses such as grossly diminished earned time hours and tuition reimbursement dollars, meager education offerings,and common short- staffing horrors - most of the managers and leadership teams are incredibly arrogant and nasty to each other as well as to their underlings. Bulling thrives throughout the facility so you must always watch your back - a common saying there: "stay under the wire" staff are frequently reminding each other of this sad fact.
I can't tell you how many good people have been fired, or "laid off" from this place (hundreds over the past few years) or why many have been victimized here but, perhaps it is because the less than stellar manager(s) appear to be intimidated by someone more intelligent than they? I don't really know, but the Elliot has chosen this horrific management style for whatever reason. If you get caught mentioning those poor unfortunate (fired) people it or asking what happened to them you are told to keep your mouth shut or you will be next.
There is a new CEO but I have heard that the place continues to go down hill with awful moral .
Pros
none left
Cons
being hired
Busy but a managable day
Advanced Medical Assistant/Medical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 7, 2013
Not every day was the same. I worked primarily in psychiatry and on my off days I floated to various Elliot offices which included Internal Med, Family Practice, Pediatric, Geriatric, and all Specialty practices.

When I went to work daily - to me it was therapy. I NEVER had a bad day at work no matter how stressful it was. I loved my job and miss it more than you can imagine. I learned a lot from the providers, staff and the patients. I can honestly say I worked at the Elliot for 12 or 13 years and never felt that I did not want to go in to work - just because I did not feel like it. I was a dedicated employee.

I would go in to work daily at 7:30am and hit the floor running. Between the walk in patients, calls, and patients scheduled for appts not every day was the same. Yes, I had some rough calls with suicidal patients but was able to talk them down and get the help they need. Follow thru care is key.

The downfall floating in to other offices is not knowing the end result. For example: If a patient came in to the Breast Center and diagnosed with cancer. I would have no idea what their status is and/or unable to provide continuing care, treatment, and compassion to that patient.

Overall, in the mental health office and all offices I worked in I feel we worked well as a team I am never afraid to ask anyone anything to get the answers I need for myself, the provider, or the patient.

I am currently looking for this same work experience within a new facility.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Debbie
Challenging and rewarding experience.
Registered Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Cardiac Intermediate Care UnitMarch 5, 2013
When stepping onto the floor the typical CICU RN can expect anything in regards to her assignment. Personally, I've cared for cardiac patients in critical condition awaiting cardiac catheterization, AICD placement, or cardioversions. That usually runs the gambit for my specific specialty, but I also care for suicide attempts, patient's actively detoxing and seizing, suffering heart failure or COPD exacerbation, infections, pneumonia, etc. I found that time management and critical thinking are a nurse's greatest strength. A positive attitude under stressful conditions can also make or break your work day.
Management at the hospital is as effective as possible. The turn over rate on the CICU I've observed is very high. Management has to tackle filling all positions and covering all shifts week to week, just like the challenges many hospitals have to face these days with budget cuts, etc. I find that the team I work with is very supportive and unified when it comes to helping out one another with everyone's workload. There are also numerous resources and educational opportunities to pursue and further your RN learning.
Pros
supportive atmosphere, learning opportunities, great resources, full circle care for patients
Cons
work loads (up to 5 pts/shift), coordinating with other departments.
Great place to work with supportive staff alway eager to educate.
Laboratory Aide I /II (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 10, 2014
- I worked second shift which is one of the busiest shifts in terms of in and outpatient volume. We service many outpatient clinics and doctors offices so we have a lot of processing being done. I usually do a rotation of ordering and receiving, aliquotting specimen, delivering specimen, and collecting completed specimen for tubetracking.

-I have learned a lot as far as the functions throughout the lab and how each department aids in the identification of disease.

-Overall management works well but with many female-dominated workplaces there tends to be cliques and favoritism.

-My coworkers enjoy sharing their knowledge and are very helpful in assisting with workflow

-The most difficult part of the job is having the ability to multitask and prioritize.

-The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are making a difference in healthcare.
Pros
good benefit packages, shift differentials, pay incentive
Cons
short breaks, economical struggle in healthcare causing budget cuts affecting all employees
Dpt managers are puppets
technician (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 3, 2016
Dpt managers seem to have no power at all. I had a "team" member doing everything possibly wrong but was protected by upper level management who were never in the dpt. Things that could have been sued for if they happened to the wrong person and not just one instance but many. Employee was eventually terminated but not until caught red handed and after the loss of three good employees.
I saw the director 3 times in a whole year. Each time they were there they were explaining that some one was fired. Dpt manager had no right to hire or fire and was really just a target for when things went wrong.
Absolutely no process improvement. Severely understaffed yet when something went wrong... that was never the issue. It was your performance.
If it wasn't for the rest of my team I would have given one star.
Pros
immidiet co workers
Cons
management that think they can manage without being in the dpt
demoralizing, unproductive, non-supportive
To assist Doctors, RN's, NNP's (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJuly 20, 2015
Management not available for employees and constant overwhelming call shifts, short staffed. When speaking with management about a potential situation or looking for resolution to an issue we are told that we should be happy to have a job.

Management very defensive and abuse of power. A lot of red tape and politics. Very difficult to get ahead in personal growth and development.

Floor staff were wonderful and I enjoyed my job on the unit but it was a high stress job in critical care environment that is always short-staffed.

Loved interaction with my patients, families, and worked with a great team of floor staff that worked hard to give the best possible care to our patients with limited resources.

The most difficult part of the job was balancing emotional situations due to a loss of a patient and helping families with their loss.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
healthcare, benefits, difficult to advance
Professional, educational, supportive hospital with patient care of utmost concern.
STAFF RN II (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 30, 2013
Each day I expected the unexpected, working with psychiatric patients with many diverse diagnoses, and also with many physical ailments as well. Challenging work with all the support needed to learn and achieve the best in patient care. Extremely supportive staff, from CNA's to MD's, we worked as a team, always. The hardest part of the job was watching some of the family's suffering along with their loved ones, especailly Alzheimers patients. The most enjoyable part was having the ability to bond with most patients, to be come a trusted friend to them, and watching a patient respond well to treatment and be able to leave our unit to return home.
Pros
free ceu's and any education needed to perform treatments
Cons
occasional short-staffed
Upbeat, nice place to work in New Hampshire
Bed Placement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 3, 2013
I really love working with people. Each day is never the same. When your in a profession where you must care about people, something in your heart just clicks.
Although some days/patients can be difficult, I believe you learn more about yourself, and it puts your life into prospective.
When people are sick, they are weak, and sometimes thier patience runs thin. It is then you must pick yourself up be efficient, and make the people feel comfortable.
At the end of the day hearing someone say thank you, or that you made thier experience a little better, that is what makes my job enjoyable,
Pros
meet great people, make a difference busy work days
Former Employee
Very Hard Working (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 11, 2012
Way to much Management!! Everytime you turn around there is another layer of Management. They cry they don't have the money to hire.. Well if there wasn't so much Managment we could hire a bunch of empolyees. Then to hear they are letting Doctors go.. Not enough money..Well lets get rid of some Management and keep the Doctors they are the ones that bring the income in. Not the Management! Some employees get worked to death and others, have it very easy. They expand and expand but then there is no money.. NO money for raises.. When I started there were 3% raises now you are lucky to get .5% Things were much better 4/5 years ago. So sad to see something that was so great is going down the drain.
Tyrranical Management
RN (Current Employee) –  Direct Patient CareJuly 31, 2013
Many great people provide excellent care to patients but management makes Elliot a stressful and unrewarding work environment. There's never any thanks for doing a great job, only complaints about how you can do more. Nurses have to handle heavy assignments, must clock in and out for scheduled breaks but must work through them unpaid in order to finish on time. Enormous stress is placed on nurses and aides who are already working in a stressful environment. New absence policy only allows one call out for sickness in a rolling 12 month period. Management constantly looking for ways to fire people.
Pros
co-workers are dedicated and professional
Cons
management is destructive and unprincipled
Productive and Conducive Work Environment
Microbiology Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 11, 2012
The microbiology department at Elliot Hospital has a steady work flow, some days are more hectic than others but overall it is a very healthy work environment. The hardest part of the job is balancing the work flow and multi-tasking. The most enjoyable part is learning and seeing new things. Management is overall efficient, however like any business, staying informed, updated and keeping communication open is a continuous challenge.
Pros
the welliot gym which has 2 gym locations and offers classes at a discounted rate. also, there is a pharmacy for elliot employees.
Cons
due to the economy, no funding is provided for seminars or member registration fees.
Worst place to work Revolving Door here
Lab work (Former Employee) –  Elliot HospitalMarch 17, 2015
They say they are willing to work with you with hours. You have explained them very clearly what you needed. Apparently they are only out for their needs even though you are more than willing to work for them, but when it comes right down to it its them or the door. They also do not sympathize with personal issues you either get your butt to work or you are fired. Even when you asked if you pick up another shirt to make up for the one lost nope either its the one you were scheduled for or nothing. Oh and good luck on parking you will never find any.
Pros
Cons
Everything, no real employee parking area
typical day at work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 9, 2013
Typically a busy day doing triage in primary care offices. People are always available to ask questions as needed.I have learned with working in several different offices, that you need to get as much information as possible to paint a complete picture of the patient and that can be difficult at times due to time constraints and decision making. It is enjoying to see patients getting the care they deserve in a timely fashion.
Pros
per diem, computer documentation
Cons
variations of care per provider
Admissions
Lab Registrar (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 28, 2013
Working at the Elliot was wonderful experience. I worked with many great people from coworkers, to medical professionals to the patients themselves. For all the years I worked there I had good relationships with my supervisors and was allowed much autonomy in the performance of my work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the the day to day duties were the same, but how the day would actually take shape and evolve was always interesting and kept the job from getting boring.
Pros
the automomy of working independently.
Cons
some coworkers easier to deal with then others.
decent place to work but wishy washy management
IT (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 12, 2015
The middle management is not very clear in his expectations. I found him very difficult to work for. He was easily influenced by senior team members. His expectations were set too high and he expected too much time outside of normal working hours.

The IT staff was a decent group with a well rounded skill set. Most were easy to work with some were not. The department would be better off with new management.
Pros
good potential to learn new tech
Cons
middle management and arrogant staff
Lack of support from Management but plenty of negativity
PSR (Former Employee) –  ManchesterMarch 25, 2015
Both HR and management need to be totally replaced, which in itself has a high turnover. The Elliot is very divided and communication is horrible at the management level. Lack of respect and condescending demeanor towards staff is deplorable. Compensation is not competitive with other healthcare systems.
Staff works diligently and have great compassion for patients, they deserve better.
It is time for the Elliot to change the "Elliot way".
Pros
N/a
Cons
No breaks and critically understaffed
A great place to work...
Unit Secretary - Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 4, 2015
Elliot Hospital has been my home for years now, and has shown me what true quality of patient care consists of. The staff is fantastic to work with, and management is always involved and encouraging when it comes to improving quality and advancing of careers. I have learned so much from this facility and the staff, and highly suggest it as a reputable, rewarding place of work.
it was a nice place to work we all worked well together
EVS Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 26, 2012
Cleaned a lot of rooms,and discharges, I was shown how to clean different ways, my bosses were awesome,I loved working with everyone, cleaning the O.R.s was the most difficult,but I liked it because I knew it was getting done right. Was knowing I was doing a good job and helping coworkers.
Pros
i enjoyed going to work and my coworkers.
Cons
nothing
No loyalty to staff
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 24, 2015
In light of recent management changes workload increased dramatically with little encouragement or recognition from management. It resulted in a very stressful and dangerous work environment. My coworkers however were so dedicated and diligent in their work ethics. I truly respected them and they made me feel my expertise was very valued and needed.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
understaffed