Ellis Hospital

Ellis Hospital United States Employee Reviews

can't say anything bad
Electrical Helper (Intern) (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYDecember 30, 2014
the maintence dept is a great place to work, i only wish i were better quiltifyed to apply for a full time position.
DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY
RN (Current Employee), Ellis HospitalDecember 11, 2014
Cons: poor communication. poor management. untrustworthy
Very poor place to work with very poor communication and management.
Good Atmosphere
Financial Counselor/Registrar (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYDecember 7, 2014
The Co-worker is good and it was enjoyable be a part of their lives.
Productive workplace
Director (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYNovember 19, 2014
Busy, ever changing healthcare world keeps you moving trying to stay ahead.
loved my job!
Patient Transport and Housekeeper (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYOctober 30, 2014
Pros: everything was great!
Cons: none.. absolutely nothing!
fast paced, loved the amount of work that was given, loved my co-workers, and had fun doing my job. :)
Seeking employment in a physically active job position
Central Scheduling (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYOctober 1, 2014
Pros: fair, friendly and compassionate management/good health benefits
Cons: poor healthcare/retirement benefits
I enjoy my current job position. I enjoy the customer service end of the position and feel that this is most important in happy customers for a comfortable return to use Ellis Hospital's facilities. The hardest part of the job is trying to reach departments by phone in general and in STAT situations. The hospital seems to be understaffed all the way around. I enjoy all of my coworkers and I am a person who treats everyone with equality, respect and compassion. I get along with everyone, do not hold grudges or have a poor attitude toward anyone at all including management. I began my employment at Ellis right out of high school and felt the importance of job dedication and have been employed there for 39 yrs. My reason for seeking employment is to find a job closer to home and also a job that is physically active rather than a desk job. I would very much enjoy working with the public in some way, I love people and have great customer service skills. I would enjoy transporting patients or any other job that would be active with/without public connection. I have learned a lot since I transferred from the billing dept to Central Scheduling and enjoy this job very much. Again, I feel the need to have a more physically active job. I do not wish to have a job position in billing as I spent 37 yrs doing that and would like a change alltogether. In my current position I especially enjoy the contact with elderly patients and it is another option for a job position to work with them in some way that makes a difference in their lives. My high quality in my current job is customer service skills. A job outside the medical field is also an option.
Summary for Per Diem, Chaplain
Per Diem Chaplain (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: free dinner and breakfast for chaplains.
Cons: low pay, cafe closes extremely early.
I love this hospital, but disagree with slashing the pastoral care budget. The manager of the department is a wonderful person and an awesome spiritual leader and chaplain. I am sad that the hospital management does not value the pastor care department and how much hope it can bring to people who are sick or caring for a loved one.
RN on Med Surg Unit and Transition Unit
Registered Professional Nurse - Charge/Staff (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: assisting patients to deal with the results of surgery or to transfer to another level of care.
Cons: occassional nursing shortage issues.
Case coordination including nursing assessment, care plan desigh and implementation. Discharge planning and patient education
Exhausting but rewarding
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: direct patient care with the sense of making a difference
Cons: it is a very physically demanding job, especially at 62 years of age
A typical consisted of 1 to 4 patients per RN in ICU setting. We cared for medical and surgical ICU patients including intra aortic balloon pump patients and continuous renal replacement patients. The teamwork at Ellis was the strongest point. The hardest part was the times of staff turnover and development of a new "team".
Liked having a small group to work with each day.
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: worked right by my home.
Cons: management could be very critical at times.
Mohawk is a small company with a great vision for their clients and employees. The small culture made it a great place to be.
Great place to learn.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 16, 2014
My experience here was great, I learned so much at Ellis Hospital. Great place to learn.
Ellis Hospital
Mental Health Assistant (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 15, 2014
Very busy environment, great team to work with. More support needed from management.
Please contact me.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYMay 14, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Please contact me regarding this portion or the survey.

Good overall staff to work with.

Management appears to have very little focus on future issues with department. Lack of great communications.

Very stressful daily operations...
Fast paced environment
Financial Advoate (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYApril 16, 2014
In a typical day here. You can do ten different jobs and learn so many new things.
Lots of opportunities for proffessional development
GI/ Endoscopy Nurse (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYFebruary 8, 2014
Fast paced working environment.
Hospital on the way for magnet status
Great bunch of GI Nurses
Fast Paced stressful work environment
Unit Support Technician (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYNovember 22, 2013
Working in the medical field alone is a very fast paced and ever changing environment where you never know what to expect especially working in the ER. I learned how to work well in a fast paced environment and how to manage stress in certain situations. I learned great receptionist skills and also how to provide great patient care. I learned the ins and outs of clinical work. The hardest part of my job was working under stressful conditions and not losing my cool.
Before merger it was a great place to work
Chief Radiation Therapist (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: family atmosphere
Cons: new management after merger
I was a working chief therapist. I developed an atmosphere full of love and compassion mixed with the most skilled therapists, doctors and physics team I ever had the privlege of working with. I had many responsibilities including overseeing the operation of the department and my therapists. Management before the merger was excellent after the merger our department fell apart and everyone left. The professionals I worked with and the patients I treated and cared for on a daily basis were the most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of my job was all the hours I had to put in while raising 4 children.
love working with the public
Office Coordinator Outpatient Infusion Center (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 12, 2013
I worked for Ellis Hospital for 13 years, ten years in St Clares Hospital in the Emergency room as lead Unit Sec. before the merger with Ellis Hospital. After the merger of the two I went to Office Coordinator in the Outpatient Infusion center. I enjoyed both of the roles for I am truly a people person, I delivery excellent customer service to my patients as well as vendors, visitors, CEO's coworkers etc.

I love doing office work and helping people as well as anything I can to to help my coworkers, I do beleive in team-work.
Very fast paced
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYAugust 30, 2013
Cons: environment
The job itself is not hard and quick to pick up on what is expected, but the management will expect one thing from one individual but not the same for others. If one individual does not clean to the standards expected, nothing is done about even when reported and inspected. The other frustrating part was the nursing staff would either not label precaution rooms or remove the labels when patients are discharged or moved.
Labor and Delivery, wonderful! What more can I say.
L&D, OR/PACU, Relief Charge Nurse, OB/GYN TRIAGE (Current Employee), Niskayuna, NYAugust 26, 2013
I love working in labor and delivery. Helping to bring life into the world is wonderful. Every day is exeptional. On a good day in labor and delivery, it is breathtaking. On a bad day in labor and delivery it is heartbreaking.

The hardest thing I have learned in my years of experience, is that I am meeting people at the most vulnerable times of their lives. It may be the happiest or the saddest. I am there to take care of their medical needs. But moreover, there emotional needs.

This is both the most rewarding and hardes part of my career.

Ellis Hospital Salaries