Ellis Medicine Employee Reviews

great place that believes in teamwork
Supervisor/Security (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 7, 2016
a great place to work a move up! great management. Other departments are also in the security department. Director was once a line officer and worked his way up!
Pros
a lot of room for advancement
Cons
3rd shift turn over
very busy, high paced department
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 9, 2016
Extremely busy, stressful and fast paced
Learned many things about supervising, JACHO audits, Dept. of Health audits, advancements in current cardiac care including procedures/medications.
Very difficult to maintain consistant manager. An interim there at the moment with no experience in the dept.
hardest part of the job is the on-call, overtime and lack of support from administration/management.
The best part of the job is when someone is sincerely thankful.
Pros
the team is terrific, current shift great
Cons
not always able to get a break or lunch; short staffed; expected to work overtime on a daily basis
Unit Technician (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 5, 2016
Ellis Hospital is a great place to work at. employees are wonderful , good doctors and mangers. you get to learn a lot of different skills. the hardest part about being an aide at ellis is having an over load of patients to take care of. but i enjoy working at ellis taking care of people and working with the nurses.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
short staff sometimes
Ellis Medicine
Project Manager/Clinical Analyst- (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 26, 2015
Ellis is a community hospital that has in the last ten years become a very different organization. I am concerned about the direction it is headed in, and hope the very best for its outcome. My search for progress and advancement at this time, is not available due to the status of the organization. There are some wonderful people that I have worked with over my career at Ellis, and I have continued to be hopeful that things will turn around. I am grateful to have had opportunities to grow my career experience over the years; having served in management, both clinical and in Information Technology, which has broadened my ability to offer a vast knowledge base going forward in many new opportunities.

I would have to say my challenge was in watching the deterioration of what once was a revered community hospital. Old culture that remains in place, has created a significant amount of barrier for forward movement; which is imperative for survival in the healthcare environment we now face. I have enjoyed building relationships, and being a part of restoring hope and positive attitudes from what became a staff that felt forgotten and disconnected from the mainstream of the organization, to an engaged group of professionals who are ready and willing to re-engage and to be part of the solution. I am a firm believer in "..the right person for the right job..". Perhaps this will be the solution so sorely needed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unrecognized solutions that seem so obvious
great team
General Scientist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 25, 2015
very knowledgeable lab family and great medical team, flexible schedule, fantastic patient care, valuable nursing staff, some of the top doctors in cardiology in the country
very nice employees
transportation (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 11, 2015
Your always moving.
You get to meet a lot of new people.
Management is very nice always there when you need them.
There is alwas some thing to do. there is neve no time to slack off.
Pros
nice people
Cons
alwas busy
Ellis Medicine is a large medical provider - There are many opportunities for professional growth
RN Navigator (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 13, 2015
My position as a Registered Nurse Navigator has been a very different type of nursing. Due to a need to be closer to my home, I accepted this position in Jan. 2015. I daily meet with clients with Medicaid to assist connect them to medical providers and social agencies. My background in leadership and management has prover to be very effective in working within the medical community.
Enjoyable work environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 7, 2015
I work the night shift and the people I work with are a great group of people. We are a family .
I truly enjoy my position and my job. Management during the night great they are always available if needed and will assist if they can
Pros
We are a team and believe in teamwork.
Cons
There are changes almost every week some good some could be changed.
Fun place to work with supportive co-workers
RN, BSN (Current Employee) –  Special proceduresSeptember 27, 2015
Most of my co-workers have 20+ years of experience. I have the pleasure of working with a great team. We love to have fun but at the same time maintain a professional environment.
Good pay, Under staffed, over worked, hospital life
Critical Care Nurse/E1-E2, C6, A5 (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 2, 2015
Worked on many different floors, post surgical hearts, step down unit, newborns, womans floor, neurology and neuro icu.
icu critical care nurse, need I say more

management was fair, I learned everything at Ellis!
co-workers awesome.

hardest part of the job was not giving the best care possible due to having to many pts
Pros
stability, great co-workers, great support
Cons
low job satisfaction, spread too thin, couldnt give the care my pts deserved
Typical large hospital
Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Hospitals are large, busy workplaces with many employees across many locations and departments. The most valuable skills I learned working at Ellis are mostly workplace-related, such as how to work in a large team, how to handle cross-department difficulties, training employees, etc. I juggled a large number of responsibilities in my position, which I am grateful for as it made me a very well-rounded employee.
Pros
Central location
Cons
Lack of accountability or policy enforcement
Supportive environment
Training Coordinator Patient Information Services (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 1, 2015
Good working environment and supportive.
Advancement and transfer into other departments are available
Productive Work Place
Service Response Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 8, 2014
Work in a fast paced environment where employees make decisions on what to send patients for meals, depending on their diet selected by doctors.
Overall this was a great place to work
Patient Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 27, 2014
The doctors and Nurses were great to work with and the job was great, However I was never given a lunch since I worked in the emergency room 2nd shift. There was also never a supervisor available or the proper coverage to give any of us a lunch break. I learned many things while working there and have a great deal of knowledge in the admitting field because of my employment there. The hardest part of the job was seeing the trauma that would come in whether it was gun shot wounds to stabbing useless suicides and the people that were so worried about their love one. The most enjoyable part was interact and getting to know many people from many cultures.
Pros
The interesting people I worked with and around
Cons
No breaks and no lunches in the 5 years I worked there
Low pay, good benefits
LPN (Current Employee) –  Schenectady NYApril 4, 2014
Not very organized. Lots of changes at the last minute. Low pay but the benefits are good if you need them.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, disorganized
Fun productive fast pace enviroment
Patient Registrar/Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 5, 2013
I loved working for Ellis Medicine. Amazing place to work , from your co workers to your supervisors. If I ever moved back to Schenectady I would go back and work for them.
Pros
Is an amazing enviroment, seeing doctors and nurses save lifes
Cons
Eating while work, because always so busy, it was the emergency room
challenge of Sr Finacial Counselor position
Sr Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 2, 2013
Ellis Medicine is a great place to work. My supervisors and director are excellent people to work for. The hardest part of my job is having to deal with an extremely slow computer system. The most enjoyable part of the job is when Im recognized for my hard work and dedication to my job especially by other departments within the
hospital and the public as well
Pros
excellent benefits, over the counter pharmacy discounts
Cons
financial system is exrtemely slow
Average workplace, good benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 23, 2013
Ellis Medicine definitely grew worse in the 6 years that I worked there. Perhaps partly because it is a union shop, the management and hourly employees didn't really work together, it was always more a "us vs. them" mentality with everything that happened. Senior management was very much about the bottom line, and put alot of pressure on the staff to please the patients, without providing them with the tools and equipment necessary to actually do so.
On the plus side, benefits at Ellis are more generous than at some other hospitals in the area, particularly in the area of paid time off. Health insurance etc. about standard for the area.
Pros
vacation accrual
Cons
management
E.V.S worker
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  SCHENECTADY,NYOctober 14, 2012
I met new people and different culture each day. My co-workers were nice and helpful to one another.The hardest thing was hearing some of the codes when a patient was dieing or going in to shock and etc
Pros
paid for our luch
Cons
15minn break and a 30. minn breaks
Busy day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 28, 2012
Every morning I QA the charts from the ED from the day before. Assure that Physicians, the PA and nurses are documenting as they should and if additional information is needed work with the person to obtain it. I also do time audits of the charts to find ways to decrease wait time. I also supervise copay and self pay collections and assure it is being done.

I enjoy interacting with the patients and staff, makes for an interesting day.
Pros
always learning something new
Cons
have a detached supervisor, i never hear from and get feedback at to how i am doing which is very frustrating

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ellis Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2