Ellucian Employee Reviews in United States

Minimal employee training
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 23, 2016
They expect performance, but you are left on your own to learn new technology. The upper management is disconnected from the employee. The best part of the job was working with my immediate co-workers. The team supported each other in various ways.
Pros
Flexible with work conditions. They allow working remotely.
Cons
Clients develop unrealistic expectations
Not a good experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 5, 2016
Decent pay and benefits. Could work from home. That's it.

Had to learn everything on my own. Company doesn't invest in their people. Managers are clueless. Products are subpar. Company doesn't care about their people. Private equity firm will layoff, streamline, and sell for profit without concern of the people. The product I supported wilted and people left in droves. Eventually there was 1 employee to support dozens of clients. UNBELIEVABLE!
Pros
Not much other than it paid the bills
Cons
Tons of issues and management doesn't want to hear about them
Nice coworker
Helpdesk Technician (contract) (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMay 6, 2016
I really did like this job. I was working there from a temp agency and I was let go of low volume calls. They did ask if I had want to come back but I had already started at ConvergysWish I had took that chance.
Nice work life balance
Director of Enterprise Applications (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 22, 2016
The upper management is committed to professional development of the employees. The company also offers great work/life balance. Overall, it is a good company to work at.
Definitely temporary!
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HELPDESK (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 22, 2016
The management is no good and there is no job security but if you are able to stick around you can pick up on a lot of things that other companies will want you to know for an entry level tech.
Pros
They will usually work with your schedule
Cons
Short breaks, no job security
Terrible place to work
Tier 1 Help Desk Analyst (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLMarch 28, 2016
I worked as a help desk analyst where the management continually micromanaged everything. Tried to make changes that were never consistent but always made things worse. Only good thing is that every once in a while you get free food that people bring in and free soda, other then that it was terrible. The leads who are currently there were there the longest and became leads because the manager felt bad about them not progressing and decided to put them in a better position but barely know the information about the schools we receive on a daily basis. The current manager who was passed on multiple times to become a manager micromanages everything and doesn't know as much as he portrays himself to know. It is more about who you know and if you are willing to join the in crowd to where you will be benefited. If you choose not to then you will be singled out. Luckily I found a way better paying job with a better environment. I'm not even going to give in two weeks because they always show a lack of respect when it comes to just letting people go without notice.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Everything other then the soda
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLFebruary 9, 2016
Gained a lot of experience in many areas however silo'd environment limits growth. Has been getting better but still needs work
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Poor comp
Good company with a true focus on higher education
Chief Information Officer / Technical Director (Current Employee) –  TravelingOctober 14, 2015
I have worked for this company for almost two decades and this company is truly focused on provided quality services to benefit student success in higher education.
Pros
International company, higher education focused
Cons
Health benefits are not the best
Poor enviroment
Proposal Writer and Client Partner (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 29, 2015
This company may have been good at some point, but has become a scary place to work. Continued changes in direction, management, layoffs of complete departments- all result in fear-based management.

Decent products, but management is very unprofessional. New CEO is complete diversion from corporate reputation previously experienced by a solid, energizing company.
Pros
Nice people, good solutions
Cons
Management, management, management
Nice place to work
Cloud Solutions Engineer/Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FL ( remote)November 19, 2015
A Nice place to work with very intelligent and technically sound people who are always willing to share knowledge and collaborate
Good Company
Director (Former Employee) –  Fairfax VAMay 21, 2015
Ellucian has great potential. They lack any real accountability at the higher levels of management. The lower level are used as human bullet sponges and seldom last more than a year or two. Product Development is especially problematic. They consistently walk through delivery deadlines with no repercussions and as a result customer trust equity has been squandered.

They don't value their employees. I worked there for over a year and was recently riffed. They couldn't fire me on performance issues so they told my that my position was going away then posted an opening for my position the next day.
Pros
Leader in Higher Ed Market
Cons
Clickish - Does not value their employees
Good company dealing with an anxious installed base of Higher Education schools
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 19, 2015
A lot of changes at Ellucian in the last 12 months with a new CEO from outside Higher Education, changes at the Executive Sales Management level bringing in non-Higher Education salespeople, and the VC H&F just selling off and divesting it's majority ownership interest to TPG Capital..

The race is on to get Banner 9 completed before Workday completes their fully Cloud enabled Student system, and the Oracle PeopleSoft rush to meet their Cloud offering commitment for Higher Education.

The Ellucian Datatel base is getting more and more concerned about the lack of investment in contemporizing the Colleague product which it is getting 'long in the tooth' - all the while experiencing maintenance fees increase at least 5% year over year.

Ellucian can expect companies like Campus Management and Three Rivers Systems recently acquired by Unit4 to aggressively attack the aging Datatel Colleague base.
Pros
The leader in Higher Education software marketshare
Cons
Moving away from Higher Education experienced staff
great manager and team and employees that we supported.
Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 18, 2015
Get to work at 7:30 am.
check my tickets and prioritize them
check my emails and answer any that require my attention
check the boardrooms, to make sure, no cables were disconnected the night before, by one of the employees, who used the boardroom.
at 9:30 have our what is hot meeting with the team, to discuss what is important to the team, like need to leave early, or need help with a particular difficult ticket and then the manager gives us an update on any upcoming projects or hot issues that he wants us to check. ex. when we upgraded to windows 8, some laptops were not able to boot, so we had to regroup as a team and assign, one of our leaders to research possible solution and report back to the team, so that is hot, since it was affecting random employee on the road and had to find a solution or work around solutions. After researching, we found a solution, to use Microsoft DaRT Diagnostic Repair Tools and that resolved the hot issue.
Pros
free fruits and begals once a month
Cons
I can not think of anything negative. I had 13 great years.
Do not get excited!
Help desk (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FlNovember 9, 2014
A cut throat company that only hires contractors-no job security.

Old outdated computers that new hires are expected to repair.

Imbalance of female employees.

Training is a "stress interview" a game of chess.
Questions earn you a pink slip for incompetence.

A+ certification needs to be included in job description.
Pros
good pay, unlimited coffee, tea, soda
Cons
job security, anti social atmosphere, no training, open door policy
Productive, leading, and innovative company with a winning strategy and approach to sales and services
Director, Latin America Services and Solutions (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 13, 2014
The company partners with its employees to enable them to advance in their career paths and professional objectives. Senior leaders often engage with employees to mentor and learn from them. Colleagues are like family and are always happy to help and work together with you to achieve your goals. You always learn something new, and have the opportunity to travel the globe.
Great place bad management
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 7, 2014
Ellucian is a great place to work at. The people are nice and helpful. Management however is another story. They have little sales management experience and do not understand the job themselves or the product offering for that matter. I left because of that and management didn't like a certain race of people.
Pros
sales team is great
Cons
sales director needs to know products in order to get paid a high salary
Good company but in transition right now
Senior/Lead Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 23, 2015
This is a growing and good company to work for and has fair compensation. But the company is in transition. It is also now a global company as a result of the Ellucian and SunGard merger a while back.
Good place to work with lots of opportunity
Senior Unix/Storage Administrator (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMarch 24, 2015
Supported multiple sites both in a hosted environment and remotely managing all hardware and OSes related to production environments of production Higher Education systems.
Great place to work but not advance
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 27, 2012
On a day to day basis Ellucian is a fun and engaging place to work. If you are look at a position you can see your self in long term and don't having long hours on occasion this is the place for you. Ellucian truly cares for its employees and does many things to keep them happy. If you are looking to launch a career and move up the ladder this can be a great place to start but not a long term solution. Most believe the easiest way to get proper compensation after a promotion is to stay for a year then leave for a year and come back.
Pros
free coffee, water and soda
Cons
internal promotions come with minimal or no pay increase
Tier 1 Technician
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 12, 2012
Support colleges all over the United States. From resetting passwords to troubleshooting lms/portal issues that students had. Responsible for escalating any issues that couldn't be resolved as a tier one technician. Also offered technical support to faculty and staff which can include email support as well as bb or angel support. Guiding the teachers through any issues they might have posting their lessons online or even resetting quiz's for students in bb.
Pros
awesome management, awesome training for the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ellucian. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9