Ellucian Employee Reviews

Laid back environment but professional with a sense of purpose
Delivery Lead (contract) (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLSeptember 20, 2016
Typical work day was 8-9 hours. I learned but CRM which was new to me. Management was young, ambitious, and professional. They were fair to their subordinates. Co-workers were smart and hard working.
Pros
Work and atmosphere
Cons
The commute was a long way for me
Site Leaders can make or break your experience
Technician (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 19, 2016
Ellucian is an IT outsourcer. I worked for Ellucian at a community college site in which Ellucian was hired to provide overall IT services.

The company itself is decent, with fairly competitive wages, and decent benefits. They also have an excellent Human Resources department.

The problem can be with who is running the show at the particular location you are in. If you have a CIO who knows what they are doing, selects the right people for the job, and you have faith in them, things run smoothly and good decisions are made. But the wrong individual running the show can play favorites, have adverse effects such as getting lower contract renewals and causing the potential for layoffs.

While I would recommend the company itself, I would say that it is ultimately the site manager - if you work at a site other than Ellucian HQ - who will really make or break your working experience. So you need to be aware of that.

In my particular case, and what ended up being the case for MANY individuals working at this particular site, we went from having a leader who had lots of experience managing many individuals in the IT business, and who knew the ropes, to getting a somewhat inept leader in the position.

Personal relationships with individuals seemed to be more important than the ability to do the job in this new leader's eyes. If you were a "yes man" or "yes lady," you were part of the favorites grouping. If you did your job but didn't necessarily bring this new leader a shiny new apple everyday, you became a target. Ultimately, this attitude and short sightedness combined
  more... with overall ineptness and yes, to some extent financial considerations by the institution, cost many people their jobs resulting in layoffs of more than half the staff, and consequently leaving the future of those remaining in jobs to be a future clouded in uncertainty.

Again, the company itself is good, and I could recommend them... with the caveat that if you are looking to work at an outsourced site, make sure you get a good feel for the management on your interview!
Pros
Very good people working at the site, and Human Resources was always quick to respond to any questions.
Cons
The leader at the site could make or break your, and everyone elses's future at the site.
Fun place to work.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLSeptember 2, 2016
I have already provide a review for this and I do not understand why I have to do it again. I liked the company they are doing away with the EOC position so I am leaving the company.
Good to work poor to learn and growth
Strategic Solution Director for LAC (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 27, 2016
Good environment, but lack of strategy. Old fashion company with amazing market opportunity. Areas working like silos. Huge gaps between current market needs and solutions to provide.

Terrible process to legalize travel expenses, often you have to pay credit card from you own pocket and finance for the process issues not for financial reasons.

Remote work is the best!
Pros
Remote job
Cons
Lack of clear strategy, areas works for silos.
Nice coworker
Helpdesk Technician (contract) (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMay 6, 2016
I really did like this job. I was working there from a temp agency and I was let go of low volume calls. They did ask if I had want to come back but I had already started at ConvergysWish I had took that chance.
Minimal employee training
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 23, 2016
They expect performance, but you are left on your own to learn new technology. The upper management is disconnected from the employee. The best part of the job was working with my immediate co-workers. The team supported each other in various ways.
Pros
Flexible with work conditions. They allow working remotely.
Cons
Clients develop unrealistic expectations
Terrible place to work
Tier 1 Help Desk Analyst (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLMarch 28, 2016
I worked as a help desk analyst where the management continually micromanaged everything. Tried to make changes that were never consistent but always made things worse. Only good thing is that every once in a while you get free food that people bring in and free soda, other then that it was terrible. The leads who are currently there were there the longest and became leads because the manager felt bad about them not progressing and decided to put them in a better position but barely know the information about the schools we receive on a daily basis. The current manager who was passed on multiple times to become a manager micromanages everything and doesn't know as much as he portrays himself to know. It is more about who you know and if you are willing to join the in crowd to where you will be benefited. If you choose not to then you will be singled out. Luckily I found a way better paying job with a better environment. I'm not even going to give in two weeks because they always show a lack of respect when it comes to just letting people go without notice.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Everything other then the soda
Great company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLFebruary 9, 2016
Gained a lot of experience in many areas however silo'd environment limits growth. Has been getting better but still needs work
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Poor comp
Not a good experience
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 5, 2016
Decent pay and benefits. Could work from home. That's it.

Had to learn everything on my own. Company doesn't invest in their people. Managers are clueless. Products are subpar. Company doesn't care about their people. Private equity firm will layoff, streamline, and sell for profit without concern of the people. The product I supported wilted and people left in droves. Eventually there was 1 employee to support dozens of clients. UNBELIEVABLE!
Pros
Not much other than it paid the bills
Cons
Tons of issues and management doesn't want to hear about them
Definitely temporary!
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HELPDESK (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 22, 2016
The management is no good and there is no job security but if you are able to stick around you can pick up on a lot of things that other companies will want you to know for an entry level tech.
Pros
They will usually work with your schedule
Cons
Short breaks, no job security
Nice place to work
Cloud Solutions Engineer/Oracle DBA (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FL ( remote)November 19, 2015
A Nice place to work with very intelligent and technically sound people who are always willing to share knowledge and collaborate
Good company with a true focus on higher education
Chief Information Officer / Technical Director (Current Employee) –  TravelingOctober 14, 2015
I have worked for this company for almost two decades and this company is truly focused on provided quality services to benefit student success in higher education.
Pros
International company, higher education focused
Cons
Health benefits are not the best
Good company dealing with an anxious installed base of Higher Education schools
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 19, 2015
A lot of changes at Ellucian in the last 12 months with a new CEO from outside Higher Education, changes at the Executive Sales Management level bringing in non-Higher Education salespeople, and the VC H&F just selling off and divesting it's majority ownership interest to TPG Capital..

The race is on to get Banner 9 completed before Workday completes their fully Cloud enabled Student system, and the Oracle PeopleSoft rush to meet their Cloud offering commitment for Higher Education.

The Ellucian Datatel base is getting more and more concerned about the lack of investment in contemporizing the Colleague product which it is getting 'long in the tooth' - all the while experiencing maintenance fees increase at least 5% year over year.

Ellucian can expect companies like Campus Management and Three Rivers Systems recently acquired by Unit4 to aggressively attack the aging Datatel Colleague base.
Pros
The leader in Higher Education software marketshare
Cons
Moving away from Higher Education experienced staff
Poor enviroment
Proposal Writer and Client Partner (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 29, 2015
This company may have been good at some point, but has become a scary place to work. Continued changes in direction, management, layoffs of complete departments- all result in fear-based management.

Decent products, but management is very unprofessional. New CEO is complete diversion from corporate reputation previously experienced by a solid, energizing company.
Pros
Nice people, good solutions
Cons
Management, management, management
great manager and team and employees that we supported.
Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 18, 2015
Get to work at 7:30 am.
check my tickets and prioritize them
check my emails and answer any that require my attention
check the boardrooms, to make sure, no cables were disconnected the night before, by one of the employees, who used the boardroom.
at 9:30 have our what is hot meeting with the team, to discuss what is important to the team, like need to leave early, or need help with a particular difficult ticket and then the manager gives us an update on any upcoming projects or hot issues that he wants us to check. ex. when we upgraded to windows 8, some laptops were not able to boot, so we had to regroup as a team and assign, one of our leaders to research possible solution and report back to the team, so that is hot, since it was affecting random employee on the road and had to find a solution or work around solutions. After researching, we found a solution, to use Microsoft DaRT Diagnostic Repair Tools and that resolved the hot issue.
Pros
free fruits and begals once a month
Cons
I can not think of anything negative. I had 13 great years.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 1, 2015
Not a positive environment. Poor leadership. No relational skills. New CEO impacting change hopefully for the better.
Good Company
Director (Former Employee) –  Fairfax VAMay 21, 2015
Ellucian has great potential. They lack any real accountability at the higher levels of management. The lower level are used as human bullet sponges and seldom last more than a year or two. Product Development is especially problematic. They consistently walk through delivery deadlines with no repercussions and as a result customer trust equity has been squandered.

They don't value their employees. I worked there for over a year and was recently riffed. They couldn't fire me on performance issues so they told my that my position was going away then posted an opening for my position the next day.
Pros
Leader in Higher Ed Market
Cons
Clickish - Does not value their employees
Good Company
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLApril 23, 2015
Good Company. Work atmosphere is great. Management is professional. Supervisors are professional as well. Coworkers are nice and great to work with.
Interesting place to work for.
Manager, Software Development (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 8, 2015
Loads of work. no support for remote staff. All about getting the job done. Leader in the industry, lots of heroic act. good people to work with.
Good place to work with lots of opportunity
Senior Unix/Storage Administrator (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMarch 24, 2015
Supported multiple sites both in a hosted environment and remotely managing all hardware and OSes related to production environments of production Higher Education systems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ellucian. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9