ELM Locating Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Locating Technician (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 27, 2014
Work is productive. mostly on your own with company truck. Some long days but mostly eight hour work day and some saturdays and on call work.
Fun
Locator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 21, 2014
Like playing with a huge Tonka Truck. Business is usually very slow or very busy.
Pros
versatile schedual
Cons
messy work
its great if you like overtime and like working on your own outside
Lead Tech (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 20, 2013
up in morning download work on laptop. then organize and route myself get in truck head to first locate and go from there to next one handle emergency calls and damages audits training. management is ok must of them young not to experienced. Co workers very good to work with helpful. the hardest part of job is trying to complete long project tickets and cover all other calls. the most enjoyable part is being out on my own and working out side
Pros
overtime
Cons
no advancement and benifits
Fast paced good paying job.
Locator (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, IAAugust 26, 2013
I loved all my time at this job until the very end. I loved how 13 hour days felt short, an di loved meeting contractors and learning the importance of the job. This is a contract job, so work is dependent on having a contract, and it is a cutthroat business. Competing companies put pressure on management ( that are contradictory and at times lazy). I had one or two good bosses, but that did not make up for the lazy ones. Work is busy, that if you don't stay on pace you will fail to finish work, or cut corners. This leads to damages of the utility lines that you are locating.
Pros
fast paced good pay
Cons
managment can be lazy jerks, and sometimes not enough workers to finish jobs or take a vacation.
Productive & Fun Workplace
Schedule Manager (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJune 7, 2013
Typical day here is alot of engagement with obstacles but always a fun challenege and really appreciate the support & attitudes from my co-workers in getting every task completed.
Pros
high compensation & the people i work with
Cons
overhead costs & no healthcare
Route Locating Technician
Route Locating Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 2, 2013
Daily contact with utility managers, crews, homeowners, and contractors discussing locate issues. Prioritize work by going through all locate requests to determine routing. Read and understand utility provided maps to assist in identification of underground utilities. Work in an unsupervised situation and have the ability to solve problems. Knowledge of underground utility construction and the area is preferred. 90% of job time is spent in field environment with some administrative work required and exposure to all field hazards. Occasional lifting of materials up to 50 pounds required. Office hours and schedule may vary. Required up to 5 miles a day walking at least twice a week.
Cons
no promotional
Productive and simple. Driving around going house to house or business to business checking the gas meters
Central Riser Inspector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2013
I learned what and how a gas meter is supposed to look and how it is supposed to work. The management was great and extremely helpful, and my co-workers were not usually with me but during our weekly meeting they were friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with dogs, going into someone backyard and not realizing they have a dog can be scary!
Pros
work truck and gas card.
Cons
long drives
Long hours and severely over worked with little compensation
Locator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 10, 2012
I have worked for ELM for a year now and I normally do not gripe about a work place but this has been the most horrible experience I ever had working for anyone. The amount of hours that you work is crazy and they tell you that you have certain days off then they take them away and make you work 70 hour work weeks with little pay. Their benefits and HR are the worst that I have seen. I still have yet to get paid for a holiday that was 6 months ago, they did not pay my medical bills for 5 months when I had gotten attacked by a pitbull and all they could say is how quickly are you coming back to work. All they care about is themselves and have no concerns for the health of their workers, as of right now I am going on 2 hours of sleep since I have been on call and all they could say is well you got 2 hours isnt that enough. These people are the worst and I highly suggest to you that no matter what your job situation is do not, DO NOT work for this company as it will be the worst decision you have made. The only good part about the job is your fellow co workers which they also share the same views about the company. Just be smart and look elsewhere.
Cons
management is horrible, no benefits, no sick pay, long hours etc..