Elmhurst College Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoyable Position
President's Leadership Academy - Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJanuary 8, 2016
I would work between 6 to 8 days over the summer from June to August. I advise incoming freshman on nursing classes that they will be involved in the fall.
Difficult to teach at this place
adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILNovember 13, 2015
Adjunct in World Languages. I love teaching, but the students here are mediocre at best and very difficult to reach. Retention is the main concern at Elmhurst and not real teaching. The level of student is disappointing. Grateful for the experience, but I was told that when students complain, I should pacify them with some candy.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Poor students
Helpful individuals
Human Resources Internship (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJuly 8, 2015
All staff members were essential in my keys to success. They provided me with tools to succeed and took extra time and effort to make sure I understood the information given.
Great place to work!!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elmhhurst,ILJune 22, 2015
I loved working here. I worked here for the summer, through the Golden Apple Foundation. I worked around a nice group of people and I liked the environment. I also liked the free lunches they provided but we do get shorter breaks. The job will keep you busy, but it's worth it. Overall its a nice place to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Shorter breaks
Lacked professionalism and communication
Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMay 27, 2015
Difficult workplace due to lack of communication and professionalism. Needs stronger personnel in leadership and managerial positions.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Difficult personnel
Good place for student workers
CS/IS Tutor (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILFebruary 18, 2015
Very flexible schedules allow student workers to easily fit work into their class schedule. Conditions vary greatly from position to position.
Good opportunity for psychology student development
Undergraduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILNovember 3, 2014
Tasked with writing proposals for IRB board, researching pertinent articles and using that information to write up introductions of studies, worked with study participants in data collection and analyzing data in SPSS.
Great College to Work For Esp. If You Are A Student Worker
Custodial Assistant (Elmhurst College Work (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILAugust 31, 2014
Working at Elmhurst College as a student worker was a great experience. Managers and Supervisors are nice and they are more than willing to work around a student's schedule
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
short hours
Typical college job
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJuly 17, 2014
My job as a student ambassador was to give tours to high school students looking to come to Elmhurst college. Quite simply, all I really did was offer a great time by giving the families a tour of the school.
Game Setup
Game setup (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 23, 2014
Setup for different sporting events and was the official ball boy for various sports.
Pros
sports related
Cons
little money
Employees are Disposable
Adjunct Faculty- Philosophy (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILAugust 27, 2013
Adjunct work is miserable. You have no job security and heavy work loads. Elmhurst College, while it does offer better rates per course than other universities is no different. I lost my job because the college would have been required to cover the health care costs of adjuncts who taught more than four courses a year.

If you need a gig, it's alright for a semester. But really, get out of adjuncting as fast as you can.
A great place to work!
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 26, 2013
Elmhurst College is a great place to work. Wonderful students, faculty and staff! It is a small liberal arts college where you really get to know the students and the people that work there. They have a great speaker series which is open to public and a beautiful campus to enjoy.
Typical Liberal Arts College
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 12, 2013
Teaching is not a 9-5 job, you pour your whole being into it to make sure the students get what they need, or at least feel that they are getting what they need. Even when classes end for the summer, you are still hard at work developing materials for the next school year and pursuing the research projects were on the backburner the other 9 months.
As with any small college, there are politics amongst the faculty, students and departments. Avoiding missteps in this area is likely the hardest part of the job.
Working with bright young minds that are awaking to new ides was probably the most fullfilling part of the job.
I learned that liberal arts colleges are not the same as state universities in almost every way.
Pros
small student body
Cons
long hours, politics
Relaxed Environment
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILApril 22, 2013
Typical work day consisted of fixing carpentry problems around Elmhurst College

While there I learned how to fix a variety of problems
Very good environment to be, nice co-worker with an extremely great and nice supervisor..
Coach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILFebruary 28, 2013
It was a Tuesday night i went to work and there was a lady a very nice person; she came to watch her grand-daughter play basket-ball. At that time, i was in the kitchen with my co-worker and we were preparing food in order to sell them. So she approached us and talked about her day and her grand-children; then one of my co-worker said something and she replied by saying this; "Word has soul as each of us does so we much always watch what we say and cherish them because it will always be engrave in someone memory" I don't exactly remember everything of what she said but she gave us a good advice and i liked it. After we all talked, she gave us a $20 tip and it was amazing. I always learn a lot when i converse with customers or players or co-worker or even my supervisor because they always teach me new techniques or news ways of doing things and i have information about things i didn't know. Everything at my work place was organized and customer liked it and they always come back and i think that is the most enjoyable part of my job.