Elmira City School District Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
ID Special Education Teacher - (K-2) (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYMarch 24, 2017
Working at the different schools in Elmira you always feel welcomed into the building and classrooms. Staff are always there to assist you with any questions that you may have.
Great employer and great benefits
Secretary to Director of Student Services (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYDecember 29, 2016
I consider this job to be the best ever. My immediate supervisor is the most understanding, kind individual I have ever met.

I seriously hate to leave.
Pros
work the school schedule
substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYDecember 27, 2016
great learning experience worked with children of all ages and races and learned different teaching styles from different teachers. Hard getting young children to take me serious and to listen to you and it was fun doing activities that they enjoyed doing but didn't realize they were actually learning something as well.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stability
Excellent team work and support from administration.
Aide, for 5th-6th ED Room (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYJuly 10, 2016
The day can vary according to the mood of the classroom. We followed the New York state guidelines for education. I learned how to help multiple children with multiple disabilities learn, complete projects, and access the general curriculum.
My co-workers were amazing and I learned so much from the 8-1-1 teachers and aide that I worked with.
The hardest part of the job was using the restraint part of my T.C.I training.
The most enjoyable was working with the students and helping them to learn and achieve their goals.
Okay
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJune 29, 2016
not really that good of a job not even for a starter jobs you get poor hours and employees are not hired if has piercings or "offensive" tattoos.
Fun and different everyday
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYMay 5, 2016
I work along side the teacher to help assist with the kids. The teacher and I get along and work very well together. The hardest part of the job is at the end of the school year when the kids move onto a new grade. The most enjoyable part of the day is when you see the smiles on their faces because you know you have done the right things for them.
I dont want to write a review about a past job. thank you for asking
sub (Current Employee) –  ElmiraMay 27, 2015
Substitute Teacher and Aide- September 2009-present
Teaching and supporting students with intellectual and physical disabilities/different abilities and using their strengths to help them become better learners, to include providing services and supports such as: Physical assistance, remedial instruction, structuring individual routines, supervising class, faculty assistance, conferencing with parents and service providers along with role modeling positivity in the regular and special education classrooms to include 12/1/1 and 8/1/1 ratio rooms.
Fast paced and get things done
Substitute Food Service Helper (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYMay 26, 2015
Short but long prepare food for students hot ( pizzas and chicken patties) and cold (fruits and veggies). Keep milk cooler stocked and always have food out for students to receive during their lunch period
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
fun workplace
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJanuary 11, 2015
I helped teachers with various duties around the classroom. I also did the lunch duties such as recess and supervising the café while the kids were eating lunch. I enjoyed working with my co-workers on a daily basis. The hardest part of my job when I first started was building relationships with the kids at the school.
School
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYDecember 23, 2014
This school was great to work for. I went to highschool here and love coming back and giving back to the school i graduated from. I only take high school and middle school jobs will probably never take an elementary job.
Teaching the students and seeing their joy in learning.
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJuly 3, 2014
Working together with regular students and one on one in the special needs classroom. Teaching an after school art class where the children made and delivered 800 holiday cards.The sharing of ideas,caring and the inspiration for different projects shared by the children.
Pros
Inetraction with the children
Cons
The cuts in the school district for funding
Fun place to work
Food Service Helper (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYMay 6, 2014
A typical day in the Food Service consists of Serving, Running Cash Register, Set-Up, Checking Inventory and Restocking
Pros
Free Lunch, Clothing Benefit, Medical Flex Card
Cons
No Summer Employment, Limited Hours, Low Pay
Productive and somewhat fun workplace
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJuly 24, 2013
A typical work day would consist of gathering all the materials and ingrediants needed for the salad bar, running the cash register during lunch periods, cleaning the work areas and assisting other co-workers when needed. The managers were great to work for and with. Worked with some very hard-headed co-workers but made a few friends! The hardest part of the job was enforcing the rules when it came to the students accounts and their lunches and also dealing with the students in general sometimes. I loved my job and found the whole whole experience to be enjoyable!
no thanks, not in a million years!!
teacher (Former Employee) –  variousJune 15, 2013
Worked for the district for 7+ yrs. administration is all over the place with no consistency. Southside's head principle is a great guy but has to answer to the nuckleheads on Hoffman St!!! Don't expect fair treatment or fair pay, if any! This position is advertised because none of the teachers want/can do this job! Avoid at all costs!!
Not what I expected
Parent Partner/Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NY May 28, 2013
I didn't have a typical work day. Although I was told during the interview process that I could work from home there were several hours of work I did that I was not paid for. I had office hours during the school day for parents that wanted to come & see me, but had no office to work out of. Last while I was off due to an injury, but still checking my email & responding to parents, I received a canvas email stating that they were hiring for my position that I had not quit.
My experiences as a substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYJuly 13, 2012
Never a dull moment. I introduce myself to the class take attendance and lunch count. This helps me to get familiar with the students and learn their names. I enjoy learning or relearning subject areas that I teach them. the hardest part of the job is picking up where the teacher left off. The best way to handle that is to reveiw the material and dicuss it with the students. The day goes by fast and there is never a dull moment. The Coworkers are always helpful.
Pros
leave work at 3:00
Cons
no health care or benefuts.
Overall, Elmira has been a relatively good place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYJuly 10, 2012
In the past, I have enjoyed working at Elmira City Schools. However, the work environment has been changing with current job cuts and budget changes. Recently, they have laid off more than 100 teachers. Morale is not very good any more. It's going to be a tough year to work with such changes.
Pros
very up to date technology.
Cons
budget cuts and changes have made it difficult.
The school District is a good place for the children to grow up in the enfirament they can learn alot from the teachers
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYApril 12, 2012
The Elmira City School District is a good place to work.They have good benifits but with the changes they are going through it will be hard to get a job with them
Pros
nice people
Cons
the fights with the high school choldren