Elmira Psychiatric Center

Elmira Psychiatric Center Employer Reviews

High stress atmosphere; wages are not competitive. Culture is punitive. Job security is frail.
Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), Elmira, NYOctober 22, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: non-competitive wages
I worked on the children's unit for most of my time at EPC. I learned a great deal about psychopharmacology from my collaborating physician. Management did not always seem to have consideration for the needs of employees; nevertheless, things were fairly well managed so that staff could adhere to high standards of documentation and standards of care. My co-workers were wonderful professionals who gave their very best, regardless of their position. The hardest part of my job was discharging clients when I felt unsure of their stability. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching children recover from past trauma; it is gratifying to watch as they learn to take responsibility for their actions.
Watch out for this employer
Aide (Former Employee), Elmira, NYAugust 7, 2013
Pros: nothing good to say!
Cons: employees seem to care about each other, but in fact they only care about themselves.
Elmira Psychiatric Center is not a place to work if you want to be respected for the hard work that you do. It might seem nice to have a State job, but that is all; it seems that the harder you work, the less respect that you receive if you are not a professional. Even though you are represented by a union; it is only in name because it only helps out the poor workers and does nothing to represent all the good hard workers.
Productive and dedicated working environment
Geriatrics Unit Intern (Former Employee), Elmira, NYFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: understanding and supportive staff
Cons: only and intern position
While at the Elmira Psychiatric Center, I first attended the morning reports with the clinical staff discussing the patients. I then shadowed the unit social worker as well as the psychologist while performing their duties. I also created and facilitated my own therapeutic group activities with the patients. I practiced interviewing patients while completing a Core History and Core Assessment complete with identification of assets, liabilities, and treatment recommendations. I reviewed patients' medical records, gaining insight on the background of their mental health histories and reason for admission. I was exposed to all inpatient populations during my time spent there as well. One of the most important things learned while at the ECP was that in order to build trust with patients, there is a great need to treat them with respect and to build rapport by showing concern and understanding. The co-workers and the management at the ECP were all very dedicated and respectful to the patients and well as one another. The hardest part of the job was leaving the patients after my internship was over. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning and building the skills that I will use in my future career as a clinician.
Co-workers
Mental Health Therapist Aide (Former Employee), Elmira, NYOctober 19, 2012
Pros: job security, great staff
Cons: no room for advancement, not acknowledged for accomplishments
My co-workers were very helpful, as well as management to train me to be the best at this position.It was hard to work with the children and see the sadness they were feeling due to their conditions. I loved being able to spend time with clients and their families to help them through the times they were going through.
Company is ran smoothly and orderly
Mental Health Therapy Aide (Former Employee), Elmira, NYJuly 8, 2012
Pros: order
Cons: unexpected overtime
I liked this job because everyone worked as a team. Everyone followed the rules and everyone did their work.