Elmira Psychiatric Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed the patients
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYApril 26, 2017
I enjoyed working with the patients especially on the children's inpatient unit. As a state facility the benefits were great as well as the pay. Patient to nurse ratio was always well staffed.
No chance for advancement
Mental Health Therapy Aide (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYDecember 7, 2016
Administration is completely out of touch with inpatient staff. We are treated like peons. Expect no commendations for doing your job well. As with any company there Co-workers that work very hard and those do not. The rumour mill there is utterly ridiculous. Nepotism is rampant so unless you are related to someone in Admin don't expect to make it very far. I've never been treated with such disrespect by an employer until I worked there. They do not tell you when you are hired just how much mandatory overtime there is. Doesn't matter if your family or you have an emergency or not. When you are told to stay you have to stay or as they told us you will be brought up on criminal charges for abandonment. The pay is somewhat good but not worth it for all the unfairness and disrespect you will be subjected to.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Too many to list
Gossip and Turmiol rule.
RN II (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYOctober 1, 2015
I worked there for many years as an RN. From day 1 I was warned to watch my back. Therapy Aids and Nurses were more worried about their smoke breaks than the patients. That is where most of the gossip happened. And if a group of your coworkers decided to get rid of you then all they had to do was start making accusations. Middle management and HR would run with it and upper management did little because they didn't realize what was happening. When I started I thought I would be working with patients that suffered from mental illness. I didn't think I would be working with staff/co-workers that were unstable as well. Not a pleasant work environment and hostile for those that attempted to change it.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
co-workers and environment
the most unprofessional facility I have ever worked in.
former RN (Former Employee) –  elmira nyJanuary 30, 2015
Very out dated, both in equipment and ideals. Staff seemed to care only about themselves having little to no respect for each other and almost none for the patients. The general focus appeared to be on employee gossip and back stabbing when the patients should be the center of all you do while "on the clock". I had much higher expectations from a state run facility. Wish I had read the reviews here prior to accepting the position.
Pros
none from my prospective
Cons
the employees
High stress atmosphere; wages are not competitive. Culture is punitive. Job security is frail.
Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYOctober 22, 2013
I worked on the children's unit for most of my time at EPC. I learned a great deal about psychopharmacology from my collaborating physician. Management did not always seem to have consideration for the needs of employees; nevertheless, things were fairly well managed so that staff could adhere to high standards of documentation and standards of care. My co-workers were wonderful professionals who gave their very best, regardless of their position. The hardest part of my job was discharging clients when I felt unsure of their stability. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching children recover from past trauma; it is gratifying to watch as they learn to take responsibility for their actions.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Non-competitive wages
Watch out for this employer
Aide (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYAugust 7, 2013
Elmira Psychiatric Center is not a place to work if you want to be respected for the hard work that you do. It might seem nice to have a State job, but that is all; it seems that the harder you work, the less respect that you receive if you are not a professional. Even though you are represented by a union; it is only in name because it only helps out the poor workers and does nothing to represent all the good hard workers.
Pros
Nothing good to say!
Cons
Employees seem to care about each other, but in fact they only care about themselves.
Productive and dedicated working environment
Geriatrics Unit Intern (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYFebruary 9, 2013
While at the Elmira Psychiatric Center, I first attended the morning reports with the clinical staff discussing the patients. I then shadowed the unit social worker as well as the psychologist while performing their duties. I also created and facilitated my own therapeutic group activities with the patients. I practiced interviewing patients while completing a Core History and Core Assessment complete with identification of assets, liabilities, and treatment recommendations. I reviewed patients' medical records, gaining insight on the background of their mental health histories and reason for admission. I was exposed to all inpatient populations during my time spent there as well. One of the most important things learned while at the ECP was that in order to build trust with patients, there is a great need to treat them with respect and to build rapport by showing concern and understanding. The co-workers and the management at the ECP were all very dedicated and respectful to the patients and well as one another. The hardest part of the job was leaving the patients after my internship was over. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning and building the skills that I will use in my future career as a clinician.
Pros
understanding and supportive staff
Cons
only and intern position
Co-workers
Mental Health Therapist Aide (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYOctober 19, 2012
My co-workers were very helpful, as well as management to train me to be the best at this position.It was hard to work with the children and see the sadness they were feeling due to their conditions. I loved being able to spend time with clients and their families to help them through the times they were going through.
Pros
job security, great staff
Cons
no room for advancement, not acknowledged for accomplishments
Company is ran smoothly and orderly
Mental Health Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJuly 8, 2012
I liked this job because everyone worked as a team. Everyone followed the rules and everyone did their work.
Pros
order
Cons
unexpected overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elmira Psychiatric Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9