Elsevier Employee Reviews in United States

Journals Production
ADVERTISING PRODUCTION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2015
A typical large scale global company. On a very high level much seems to be attempted as far as keeping employees happy, work life balance, general advancement through the organization. Unfortunately, it doesn't trickle down to lower level management, leaving those who are general workers in the dark about a lot of things
Great people - great mission - terrible execution
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2015
Everyone at Elsevier is great - though many of them are great at delegating rather than working and oftentimes people assume a job will just get done or bow out of tasks when not specifically part of their jobs - halting innovation and growth. They are slow to accept and implement technology and lack the knowledge necessary to do so effectively on the marketing team. While one of the many things Elsevier strives to do is maintain transparency it is often clear that this does not mean within the company.
I enjoy the people more than anything. Additionally, it's great to know that there's so much room for improvement - even baby steps make a difference.
I highly dislike the expectation of extra hours, ever-increasing work load, and overall lack of strategy felt from the top-down.
Pros
401k matching (better overtime), vacation, medical benefits, people
Cons
missed lunches, long hours, burdensome workload
Great Company to work for
P2P Analyst (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMay 24, 2016
A Great company to work for with good benefits and great people. The company relies a lot on outsourcing working which means jobs are not secure and workloads are large.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not a lot of job security or room for advancement
Big global company
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2016
Co-workers are very loyal to the company and it was fun working with them for 20+ years. Some of the management staff have favorites within the office and make it obvious. Sometimes you did not have clear direction on how to do the job completely.
Great company to work for but very limited advancement
Business Continuity Coordinator/Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Providence, NJJune 18, 2015
This is a good company generally, but if you want to move up or find ways to improve your chances (workshops, seminars, etc.) you will have to do it on your own as management does not encourage or assist you with these opportunities.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
No management interaction, little oppotunity for advancement within
Great Camaraderie with coworkers
Multimedia Producer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 27, 2014
Typical day: Meetings, emails, camaraderie with coworkers
What I learned: I learned how to really manage my time effectively and finetuned my diplomatic skills. I now know so many different tools to use to assist me in my project management
My coworkers are wonderful and are the best part of my job
The hardest part of my job is the uncertainty of security
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to use my organizational skills, learning something new every day, the opportunities for learning, and my coworkers
Pros
flex time, work from home time, benefits
Cons
not much opportunity for production advancement
Great work life balance
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 15, 2016
Great place to work but the benefits and comp could be better. Management is great! People are great. vcbcvbcxn cvmvxc nv v vc
Pros
work life balance
Cons
compensation, benefits
Good company
Inside Account Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
Work hard and you will be rewarded.
Great Co-workers
Great management
My customers and winning are the most enjoyable part of my job.
Cons
instability, too many changes to comp plans.
Great People to work with and friendly environment
Reg Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2014
Elsevier has a great work environment. Everyone in the New York location are friendly, helpful and resourceful. The down side of the culture is sole on management and international views towards the workforce. There is a great respect for the scientist and editorial staff within the company. If you are part of the customer facing group then upper management would not support you in giving timely sales goals, compensation plans or payments. Elsevier has had the reputation of too much red tape to deliver on customer’s needs and the pricing structure is very strict. Sales staff are over burdened and under paid.

Since 2011 there has been 7 Comp Plans and all payments have been late or wrongly calculated
Pros
smart workforce, team work and pet benefits
Cons
comp plan structure, payments, lack of sales goals, every changing
Learn as much as you can and run for better paid jobs!
business analyst (Former Employee) –  OxfordMay 4, 2013
Elsevier spends a lot of time and money to raise staff qualifications (various on and off-site courses), but it is a miracle to get a salary raise.
Elsevier states their value is "boundarylessness" but the organization is more beaurocratic than the Vatican - all communication is controlled vertically, you are not allowed to contact someone without their boss' consent.
Management : in my first position I had 5 different managers in 1.5 years. The staff stayed for 6 months on average. In my second position I reported to 3 managers over 2 years of service, each introducing new rules and approaches contradicting previous settings.
Colleagues are great in all locations!
I did what my colleagues before me: I got the qualifications at Elseviers' costs and run away to another company where I am finally well paid.
Pros
great cantine, great co-workers, trainings
Cons
management turnover, beaurocracy
Fun place to work with good benefits
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MoMarch 24, 2015
The culture at Elsevier is very welcoming. Great benefits and perks. Management is very understanding and open to ideas to better the processes and procedures.
Great place to work, people oriented
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2013
Work independently, review transactions and provide feed back to avoid further errors in subscription fulfillment, company provided opportunities for advancement, learn statistics, updated systems for subscriptions fulfillment, Magic Coach. Management support new possible ways to develop teams or an individual, co workers maintain a good and friendly environment.
The hardest part of the job was when our jobs went outsource to India and we have to leave.
Elsevier had great benefits and used to maintain workers motivated
Pros
customer service week
Cons
communication
Cool company in the midst of significant changes
SENIOR MANAGER OF CREATIVE SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2013
Elsevier is arguably the leading healthcare publisher worldwide, with a commanding portfolio encompassing a lot of the most respected references and textbooks in medicine, nursing, and allied health. Like all publishers, it is in the midst of monumental change, transitioning from traditional print publishing to new online and electronic information sources, and its survival will depend on how successfully it undergoes this transition. With that said, the people are great, the benefits are very good, and I had a good run there.
Pros
fairly stable, good work-life balance.
I enjoyed the work and it provided a good springboard for opportunities with other companies.
Freelance Medical Editor/Writer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 9, 2015
Very large company in St. Louis. I worked primarily from home and interacted with only a few employees. They hired few freelance employees at that time.
Pros
I had the opportunity to write.
Cons
Freelance work was not often available and I wanted to work more.
Innovative company
executive assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 29, 2015
Great company, innovator, provides a lot of great information to help people. They offer flexibility and caring work environment.
Relaxed atmosphere but job security is worrisome
Royalty Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MONovember 2, 2015
Good place to work, very relaxed atmosphere, the people and management are wonderful but moving up within the company seems almost impossible.
Productive workplace
Online Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MODecember 31, 2015
I enjoyed the open environment and the helpful team environment. Everyone was always willing to help and answer any question you may have.
consumer direct agent
Consumer Direct Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 2, 2015
I have worked here for 14yrs and the job has taught and enhanced all my customer service skills it is a friendly employer that takes pride in their employees
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
there are non
Nice work environment
Journal Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2012
•A typical day at work: Check emails, manage the publication process for science and medical journals.

•What you learned: - Learned project management skills

•Management: Organized and very good communication skills

•Your co-workers: Very nice team environment.

•The hardest part of the job: Deliver things on time and satisfy the customers: authors, reviewers and editors.

•The most enjoyable part of the job: Flexible hours

Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low salary
Great pool of talent...but lacking real leadership
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 15, 2011
A good place to work for a year or two to gain some valuable skills...among which would be surviving on limited budgets and annual reductions in staff. Senior management has a tendency to shift company vision all too often, and communicate this to employees in an inefficient manner.
Pros
flex starting schedule, good benefits
Cons
poor management, outsourcing overseas