Elwyn Employee Reviews in United States

good place to work if you like to care for individuals with mental disabilities
Residental Councelor (Current Employee) –  Vineland, NJJune 7, 2016
A typical day for me at work is a very interesting everyday. My consumers are always doing something or trying to show you something. I have learned that you have to have patients when your working with them. You cant change their normal routine because that can just routine their day. The managers are just a phone call away and are there to help you at anytime. Coworkers share their part of their work. The hardest part of the job is keeping your composure when an situation occurs but the enjoyable part is knowing I cared for someone who needed it and there happy.
Pros
you get to eat with the clients for free.
Cons
could pay more money
Good work environment!
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  5000 wisahickon aveJuly 22, 2016
A typical day at work for myself was coming in at 1:30pm until 10:30pm. I cleaned restrooms and areas where janitorial work was needed.
My co-workers were good ,i got along with all of them.
Most enjoyable part of my job were the opportunities and to know that visitors ,co-workers and vets were in a very cleanly environment.
Pros
Pay, Off on Holidays, if the weather was bad we got off early
Cons
Evening shift, traveling
Great staff and amazing clients
LICENSED PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 1, 2016
Elwyn truly cares for their clients and staff. The benefits are great. Lots of overtime if you want it and advance opportunities. Never had a job that I loved so much. Management always available. The pay is better than other private companies.
Benefits
Cons
No raises
Productive company
Unit Director (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJanuary 8, 2016
Company is very productive utilizing its mission statement- make a diffidence in the lives of people serves. I have been with the company for over 14 years servicing in a supervisory role implementing policies and procedures without any difficulty in doing so..
Pros
Recreations have put in place for staffs to meet at time to get to know one another
Cons
Healthcare provided is great and meet needs of staffs in many ways
Immense amount of paperwork
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  111 Elwyn RdApril 6, 2016
The program specialist should not have to manage banking information. The location that I worked in had great teamwork and looked out for each other.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
no compensation for extra hours worked such as comp time.
Good environment
Parent Educator (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chester, PAMay 17, 2016
Working at Elwyn is a warm experience. Generally Elwyn attracts people who are good hearted and nurturing. It is a pleasant environment to be around.
Pros
Good people
Cons
More comprehensive programs
Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2016
Elwyn is a great non-profit organization to work for. You help so many families in so may different ways. You gain pleasure in knowing you did all you could to help a family with a special needs child.
Company needs to make changes soon!
Special instructor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2015
Absolutely love my coworkers and boss, families and kids I work with.
Either, I take work home or stay really late. Work is never done. Lacks training on the ton of paper work expected to be done in short notice. Not paid enough, not appreciated by the higher-ups.
Was furloughed after a raise and surprise bonus, but still suffering from furlough - no time to take off even when sick, which in turn continues the cycle of kids and teachers going to school sick! Or getting unpaid time off, fun...
Due to high teacher turnover, we are understaffed and out of ratio, always switching kids around the school. Not able to properly work on kids' goals nor give the individual or small group attention necessary.
Pros
Coworkers & boss, kids, and families
Cons
Lack of support in classroom; low staff, out of ratio, no bathroom or lunch breaks, high teacher turnover rate
The Good Days Can Outway The Bad Days
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJune 14, 2016
Great place to get experience as a staff and in management. Teamwork can make the dream work! Advancement is available!
No Professional Respect
ABS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 27, 2015
I worked for this company for a number of years. Changes in management led to a shift in the dynamics of our program. Although the position is marketed as a clinical position, most of the actual responsibilities janitorial and grunt work, which is not listed in the job description, but is comprehended (as told by management) by the one liner "other duties as assigned". Management disrespects staff regularly, and makes unfair demands of staff. Staff in our program made many complaints to HR, but HR plays the "looking into it" game. My advice to anyone out there is to avoid working for any program in Elwyn that is outside of the Union. WrapAround and school-based components are OK.
Pros
Benefits, flexible schedules
Cons
Bad employee relations. No support or advocacy for employees who are outside of the union.
Productive and nice enviornment to work in
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Media, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Pick up clients from day program

Provide client with a snack

Prepare clients for activities and also medication preparation.
Caring Staff
Nurse Manager/Scheduler/Payroll/ LPN (Former Employee) –  Media, PAJanuary 20, 2016
The staff was caring, and the institution was very nice place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients, People in Springfield are great.
A great place for growth in human services and development
Assist mentally challenged individuals (Former Employee) –  111 Elwyn Road, Elwyn PAOctober 1, 2015
My time at Elwyn Inc., was very crucial to my professional as well as my personal well being. Assisting handicap able young adults live productive lives by finding work, maintaining their living quarters, or even going out into the community.
Pros
An opportunity to serve the community
Cons
Limits on funding for outside events
Work Environment
Residential Living Staff (Current Employee) –  Media, PADecember 25, 2015
Worst place I ever worked at, the environment is unwelcoming. The supervisor make you feel unappreciated. Typical work day consist of non stop complaining about the way the clients are handled.
Elwyn supports a close knit employee base, ensuring a team enviornment.
Personnel Manager - Human Resources Department (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia Satellite and the Media CampusAugust 30, 2015
Elwyn afforded me the opportunity to grow in varied aspects; exposure to MR;MH populations, education and early childhood programs, as well as networking with other agencies.
Pros
Workkng with staff development to enhance my work expereince
Cons
I was unable to take advantage of furthering my education caring for my sick spouse
Productive workplace
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Media, PASeptember 13, 2015
A typical day at Elwyn would be very productive and busy. The client need assistance with many of their daily living tasks. The most difficult part of the job is moving the clients in and out of their wheelchair for bathing and bed time.
Pros
Unionized Positions
Cons
The supervision have a very bad attitude and hate.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaJune 26, 2015
The maintenance position is not a job to take, no one ever work in that position for more than 2years without being fired. This is testimony accurate, if you don't believe me go there during your interview and asked anyone working at the moment how long they being working there.the prove is on the pudding. Very small team over 5 maintenance personal fire.
Preschool for Children with Autism
Applied Behavior Analysis Instructor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2015
provide 1:1 discrete trial services to preschool aged children with autism. These services may be conducted using the integrative model or pull-out (cubby) model. Educational and developmental milestones are taught, social skills/interactions are practiced, and overall preparing the child for school-aged activities.
Pros
Team of co-workers in the classroom
Cons
Ratio of staff to children may be stressful at times
program supervisor
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Media, PASeptember 2, 2015
making sure that all consumers that we care for are well taking care of by having all items they needs to survive, taking them to all medical appointments , completing payroll or staff and making work schedules .
lots of support
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2015
I enjoyed working here. I always felt supported and I never felt that I had to go into a work situation unprepared. Worked with many positive people and always felt at home.