Elwyn Employee Reviews

Elwyn sucks!
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2017
I didn’t like working here at Elwyn too much because of the poor management and attitudes. I was so glad when I found another job and was able to leave them. Definitely don’t recommend this company to my worst enemy. Not to mention that they are racist! No thank you!
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Not the same
Residential Living Staff (Current Employee) –  Media, PANovember 13, 2017
Things have changed a lot in the 16 years at Elwyn. New employees and management aren’t getting the proper training. Feel that it’s not about the clients. It’s time to move on.
its an okay place to work
Training Instructor/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  wilmington, deOctober 7, 2017
you have to have patience and expect to do more work than they say you will do. and have to be able to work under stressful situations. also you might have to be a little bit creative and have to have a happy attitude.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
breaks wont feel like a break, manager
Productive place of work
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Media, PAAugust 29, 2017
I enjoy helping people in need of help. I worked with mentally challenged young adults. I prepared meals, helped with hygeine, also went on day trips.
Productive work place
Group Home Counselor (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 17, 2017
Working with men with behavioral problems is 1 of the hardest things to do , it's a domino affect on all the consumers , you get to learn alot about the consumers what they like or dislike & what makes them upset I've learned alot about the consumers by interacting with them getting to know them talking to them & playing games with them prepping meals you also get to learn on what the consumers like & dislike , a daily routine is what you have to set for yourself & also for the consumers , bringing positive energy into the group home makes your day go by easier I always greet my consumers as soon as I walk threw the door with a good morning & there names
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
You don't receive any breaks
Fun work place
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Media, PAAugust 13, 2017
I had a great experience working there. It's honesty a family everyone knows everyone and they make you feel extremely comfortable and welcomed. And all the students are very loving. They have so many activities for the children
Benefical experience regarding mental health disabilities
Group Home Trainee (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJJuly 12, 2017
The whole process was a training module, which allowed me to harness developmental understanding. Of the nature of caring for, and working with individuals suffering from Mental Health Disabilities. I found to be adequate training, however not with the on the job experience. Due to my seeking gainful employment indicative of my objective goals, in substance abuse peer relations. Elwyn was by far, an institution I would recommend to anyone willing to work in that field.
Pros
Quality good training
Cons
Not enough pay for the work achieved.
Quiet workplace
Life Skilled Aide (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJuly 12, 2017
Must have a driver license even though you are overnight worker due to some staffs call out in the morning. You have to adminster more medications and drive clients to work.
Pros
Deaf Friendly environment
Cons
Slow-pacing
work place
Group home counselor -part time (Current Employee) –  Vineland, NJJuly 7, 2017
elwyn is a fun place if you know how to work to work with people . the people are good to work with, i like this job because its a good to learn bout people
it could have been better
CRS (Current Employee) –  Elwyn, PAJune 6, 2017
They don't fight for there staff even with having years invested. You would expect the teamwork and the appreciated .But there is no love there at all.
good benefit
Life Skill Associate (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJune 1, 2017
Good company, they have great health care benefit,we the staffs work together, the company hire staffs of different race, gender, and background. The staffs that I work with are great and we all work as one team.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Disorganized and Unproductive place to work
Life Skills Associate (Former Employee) –  Media, PAMay 18, 2017
Elwyn does not promote any growth and development in their employees. As a result, many new employees tend to leave after gaining some experience in pursuit of better opportunities.
Very rewarding work
Early Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2017
If you love working with children and care about their eductional outcomes, working at Elwyn SEEDS (early intervention) can be a very rewarding job. The pay is not great, but it is competitive with other employers in this field. Nobody gets into early childhood for the money, since the pay is low anywhere you go (unless of course you're a licensed speech or occupational therapist.) I have never had any problem with taking vacation time when I need to or using my sick days.

As with any company, there are cons. Management does not always seem in touch with the daily struggles that their employees face while on the job. Also, it is common for Elwyn higher-ups to make decisions in a "top down" manner, meaning the people who are actually affected by decisions are not consulted with beforehand to offer feedback, and we are usually the last people to know about any important decisions.

Overall, I would recommend working at Elwyn if you have a passion for early childhood and special education.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, rewarding work with children
Cons
Top down decision making
It's a good start job for new grads
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 2, 2017
I work part time. The company has contracts with varying hours. So if you want to work a lot then get a few cases that make up the hours you want. The job itself is simple.
Dressing clients for special occasions and the food
Lead Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJApril 23, 2017
Beginning of the day starts out stressful most of the time getting into a van to go pick up clients from day program no gas wondering if you'll make if. My supervisor was overall superb. Giving medications was the most difficult.
Elwyn
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Media, PAApril 6, 2017
Elwyn is a GREAT place to work! They really have a culture centered around the needs of individuals with intellectual disabilities. At Elwyn everyone feels at home and apart of the culture.
It fun with carring
Community Residential Services (Former Employee) –  Media, PAFebruary 28, 2017
My work at ELWYN was a service and i did it with out a regret. the pay is very low and the distance i have to travel to work was too far. I did enjoy my job because when ever i was off and return to work. My client were very happy to see and that makes me to believe my service mean a lot to those we service.
Pros
fun with c worker
Cons
low pay per hour
its an ok place of employment
RLS (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2017
I like my job I just need a different work schedule and different days off. The people are nice and the fact that there is a union so your job does feel some type of secured
Pros
healthcare school reinburstment
I would not recommend this company for employment.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Elwyn, PAJanuary 13, 2017
I worked for Elwyn for almost 7 years and for the most part I didn't enjoy my time there. I would not recommend this company for employment as there salaries are not competitive and you are not compensated for the long hours you are expected to work.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Non-competitive salary, lack of appreciation and long working hours.
working at elwyn
Group home tech (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJDecember 6, 2016
usually we stayed in watching movies or on a trip when it was nice outside. elwyn is a great place to work n o matter if its long term or short term its wonderful.