Elwyn Employee Reviews

its an ok place of employment
RLS (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2017
I like my job I just need a different work schedule and different days off. The people are nice and the fact that there is a union so your job does feel some type of secured
Pros
healthcare school reinburstment
I would not recommend this company for employment.
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Elwyn, PAJanuary 13, 2017
I worked for Elwyn for almost 7 years and for the most part I didn't enjoy my time there. I would not recommend this company for employment as there salaries are not competitive and you are not compensated for the long hours you are expected to work.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Non-competitive salary, lack of appreciation and long working hours.
working at elwyn
Group home tech (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJDecember 6, 2016
usually we stayed in watching movies or on a trip when it was nice outside. elwyn is a great place to work n o matter if its long term or short term its wonderful.
Elwyn CA
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somewhere in CaliforniaSeptember 30, 2016
I was assigned from agency with no understanding of how the company was as an office assistant at the Bascom Ave main office, can't tell you how unorganized this company was. It was a messed due to the QA manager that left within two week notice on my first week there. Before she left she was complaining how low she get paid for what she was doing and talking smack about the director. And how someone quit before I came in with no notice. All that didn't bother me until second week kicked in. It was beyond stressful, continuing two people's mess they left behind with no training and giving all incorrect information by the director. No ten minute break, and lunch is only 30 min. When it can get busy you're literally being pulled in 5 different direction all by yourself trying to get everything right was very hetic. They expect so much with little training or help, it was ridiculous. And sometime gets so quite there it's so depressing. Boring job I would say, unless you're an elderly person. It will look like everyone who comes in will probably leave shortly after. I was literally tired of the place by the third week. It's BORING, with too much work.
Pros
Not much at all
Cons
Bad management
Great place to gain experience with Disabled Individuals
Group Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJSeptember 8, 2016
I learned to deal with all kinds of personalities. Management was great at all four homes I work at. Co-workers were a mix of hard and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was getting stuck for the next shift sometimes on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of this job is getting to play a very important role in the individuals lives, becoming a trust worthy companion. making a difference in their everyday life just by being there to support their needs. Getting to take care people was the greatest part of this job.
Good work environment!
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  5000 wisahickon aveJuly 22, 2016
A typical day at work for myself was coming in at 1:30pm until 10:30pm. I cleaned restrooms and areas where janitorial work was needed.
My co-workers were good ,i got along with all of them.
Most enjoyable part of my job were the opportunities and to know that visitors ,co-workers and vets were in a very cleanly environment.
Pros
Pay, Off on Holidays, if the weather was bad we got off early
Cons
Evening shift, traveling
typical work day
LSA (Current Employee) –  Elwyn, PAJuly 9, 2016
when i come into work i get the clients together. i drop them off at program and if there is a doctors appointment that day i take them. i cook , clean and give clients there medication, i do whatever task is needed to be done that day.
The Good Days Can Outway The Bad Days
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJune 14, 2016
Great place to get experience as a staff and in management. Teamwork can make the dream work! Advancement is available!
good place to work if you like to care for individuals with mental disabilities
Residental Councelor (Current Employee) –  Vineland, NJJune 7, 2016
A typical day for me at work is a very interesting everyday. My consumers are always doing something or trying to show you something. I have learned that you have to have patients when your working with them. You cant change their normal routine because that can just routine their day. The managers are just a phone call away and are there to help you at anytime. Coworkers share their part of their work. The hardest part of the job is keeping your composure when an situation occurs but the enjoyable part is knowing I cared for someone who needed it and there happy.
Pros
you get to eat with the clients for free.
Cons
could pay more money
Great staff and amazing clients
LICENSED PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 1, 2016
Elwyn truly cares for their clients and staff. The benefits are great. Lots of overtime if you want it and advance opportunities. Never had a job that I loved so much. Management always available. The pay is better than other private companies.
Benefits
Cons
No raises
Good environment
Parent Educator (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Chester, PAMay 17, 2016
Working at Elwyn is a warm experience. Generally Elwyn attracts people who are good hearted and nurturing. It is a pleasant environment to be around.
Pros
Good people
Cons
More comprehensive programs
Immense amount of paperwork
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  111 Elwyn RdApril 6, 2016
The program specialist should not have to manage banking information. The location that I worked in had great teamwork and looked out for each other.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
no compensation for extra hours worked such as comp time.
If you like any kind of job and do not need any time off then apply
Special Instructor--former (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 4, 2016
If you are an independent sort, than the Special Instructor job is for you. If you like small group teaching and spending time in your car than a classroom than apply.
School districts and Intermediate units give you more time off. Elwyn gives holidays and only two weeks paid off. You have to earn 4 hours of sick and vacation every pay period while school districts and Intermediate units give more time off like summers or working an extended time off during the year.
Special Instructors work all year round while Speech and other therapists have off when the children have off during the breaks in Early Intervention.
The management I work with do not have principal certifications or K12 Supervisory certificates. They do not explain things well or know how to manage people. They management and case coordinators are more concerned with what parents and OCDEL wants in Early Intervention, than do what is best for a child. They have no understanding of what an Individualized EDUCATION PLAN means.

If you do not care if your word means anything and you do not mind being steamrolled than apply.

I say this wholeheartedly do not apply. My worst experience in teaching. Many days I left upset with management and the way they do their job.

Beware off a company who has to put a video out there about how they are attached to job advertisement.
Pros
The children's smiles!
Cons
pay benefits and no raises
Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2016
Elwyn is a great non-profit organization to work for. You help so many families in so may different ways. You gain pleasure in knowing you did all you could to help a family with a special needs child.
Productive and nice enviornment to work in
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Media, PAFebruary 24, 2016
Pick up clients from day program

Provide client with a snack

Prepare clients for activities and also medication preparation.
Caring Staff
Nurse Manager/Scheduler/Payroll/ LPN (Former Employee) –  Media, PAJanuary 20, 2016
The staff was caring, and the institution was very nice place to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the patients, People in Springfield are great.
Productive company
Unit Director (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJanuary 8, 2016
Company is very productive utilizing its mission statement- make a diffidence in the lives of people serves. I have been with the company for over 14 years servicing in a supervisory role implementing policies and procedures without any difficulty in doing so..
Pros
Recreations have put in place for staffs to meet at time to get to know one another
Cons
Healthcare provided is great and meet needs of staffs in many ways
Work Environment
Residential Living Staff (Current Employee) –  Media, PADecember 25, 2015
Worst place I ever worked at, the environment is unwelcoming. The supervisor make you feel unappreciated. Typical work day consist of non stop complaining about the way the clients are handled.
Company needs to make changes soon!
Special instructor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2015
Absolutely love my coworkers and boss, families and kids I work with.
Either, I take work home or stay really late. Work is never done. Lacks training on the ton of paper work expected to be done in short notice. Not paid enough, not appreciated by the higher-ups.
Was furloughed after a raise and surprise bonus, but still suffering from furlough - no time to take off even when sick, which in turn continues the cycle of kids and teachers going to school sick! Or getting unpaid time off, fun...
Due to high teacher turnover, we are understaffed and out of ratio, always switching kids around the school. Not able to properly work on kids' goals nor give the individual or small group attention necessary.
Pros
Coworkers & boss, kids, and families
Cons
Lack of support in classroom; low staff, out of ratio, no bathroom or lunch breaks, high teacher turnover rate
No Professional Respect
ABS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 27, 2015
I worked for this company for a number of years. Changes in management led to a shift in the dynamics of our program. Although the position is marketed as a clinical position, most of the actual responsibilities janitorial and grunt work, which is not listed in the job description, but is comprehended (as told by management) by the one liner "other duties as assigned". Management disrespects staff regularly, and makes unfair demands of staff. Staff in our program made many complaints to HR, but HR plays the "looking into it" game. My advice to anyone out there is to avoid working for any program in Elwyn that is outside of the Union. WrapAround and school-based components are OK.
Pros
Benefits, flexible schedules
Cons
Bad employee relations. No support or advocacy for employees who are outside of the union.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elwyn. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval