EmblemHealth Employee Reviews

Productive work environment with positive influences.
Executive Account Manager Small Group (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Allowed to work from home which became most productive.
Cons: Long commute; some co-workers were a bit talkative which was a distraction
I worked for this company for 23 years. Throughout my career I encountered several different managers and co-workers who were not only positive but taught me excellent new skills. I am very grateful to – more... have worked for this company and the many relationships that were created.

Upon arrival, I immediately logged in to check emails. Then reviewed all voicemails. If necessary researched any issues and returned calls/emails. Followed up with clients to ensure all issues were resolved to their satisfaction. Attended meetings/trainings on any new products. Proof read projects for my manager to submit Executives. I learned how to be patient and empathetic to our customers needs. I've grown to learn how to work independently, multitask and polish up my oral and written communication skills. My coworkers all had different backgrounds and taught me how to deal with customers from different cultures. – less
Company is not doing well financially
Senior Desktop/Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), Melville, NYAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Work with a great bunch of people, for the most part. Great benefits, 401k, onsite gym.
Cons: Very little communication between upper and lower management.
Being in the IT field, pushing projects out before it is ready, with known bugs, is not my preference of performing my work. This was a regular occurrence in my department, which only creates more work and headache for other areas.
Very good company for growth
Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
If you are looking for an opportunity to work in areas that you may not necessarily have experience with, Emblemhealth is a great place to start.
professional (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2015
Good place to hone your current skills and learn new skills. My role is challenging, yet manageable. I enjoy my current position.
Reporting Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Opportunity for advancement
Cons: Reduction in benefits
Emblemhealth is a great origination to build the foundation of a career, however there has recently been a reduction in benefits. Overall, it’s a great organization to work. The work day goes by quickly. – more... If you are willing to learn they will teach you. I was impressed that I was given an opportunity for employment without a background in the industry. After four years of employment, I now have the skills and training to work in any sector of the health care industry. – less
Place to learn new things
HCS/UAS - NY Program Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Learing new things
Place where you are faced with many challenges and have a great opportunity to learn new things and gain new skills. The team is great and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to solve problems and issues and get the work done.
More Work, Less People
Grievance & Appeals Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Can't think of any
Cons: office visits and lab work equates to $70.00 for the employee ppo insurance coverage;
Overall poor communication amongst the entire company.
Everything is the fault of the staff, not the individuals that are in charge of the staff
There's more work than work than people to handle it. The workload has become unbearable and stressful
Good environment for new comers with computer skills
INTAKE MANAGER / CLAIMS SUPPORT (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Good benifits
Cons: Union culture, difficult to get work done as a management
Enjoyable, good benefits, union environment, fast pace, demanding, Environment and culture is changing very fast.
Enjoyed my 19 years commuting from NJ which is now quite costly.
Offers good benefits available to employees
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 14, 2015
EmblemHealth is a good company to work for. They offer their employees good health benefits. In the correct department an employee can flourish and grow.
Company with dedicated employees working together for improvement.
Senior Director (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Strong employee bases dedicated to improvement
Cons: uncertain environment
Being a health care provider, the changes Emblem is going through are to be expected with the changing environment of health care. The company is committed to being in the forefront of the changes ahead and the company is strategically alligning itself for the future market place.
Great history and culture
Senior Director of Business Intelligence (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 5, 2015
In a very exciting industry. The employees are given excellent tools and techniques to perform their jobs. The company purchases the latest tools so that employees are motivated to learn and apply.
Stiff, Inflexible Culture, Vaguely Defined Job Responsibilities
Lead (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2015
Pros: Cheap gym membership, solid benefits
Cons: Poor attitude from management, poor pay, inflexible hours
To be clear, as far as Healthcare companies go Emblem Health is not awful, but as far as companies functioning in modern culture Emblem is far behind. Their workplace environment is rigid; they promote – more... employees putting forth ideas for change, but will rarely if ever take them into account. They don't allow working from home as a company policy even if you have a company laptop, unless you are a designated telecommuter. A simple example: during a severe snowstorm this past winter, I could have been able to easily log in and complete my daily functions from home (and I'm a lead!) but they wouldn't allow it and my choices were either take a PTO day, or walk in and risk injury or getting stuck in transit (mind you, my daily commute involves a 25 minute walk to the office from World Trade Center, so if it's snowing, that's a miserably long and downhill walk that is rarely shoveled).

Management is a double edged sword. Where some managers 'get it' and work with you and realize that their employees are people who also exist outside of the workplace, many consider them strict 9-5'ers (and that time card is strict, too) and will not even allow them a quick break to get coffee or just rest you eyes from staring at a PC.

I want to clarify that I am rarely one to complain about work, it's something we all have to do and we should be considered lucky to even have a job given the market, but when your managers are even repeatedly telling you that they don't want to work there, it is hard to be prideful in your company or put forward what could be considered a reasonable daily effort.

In addition, your job function is rarely if ever defined. I actually appreciate an evolving role in a company, but when you're dropped into a new role and sometimes not even told (!!!) let alone trained, it causes discomfort and confusion. The company has been shaken up a lot recently and because of this, every role seems nebulous and lacking clear definition. I am an analyst and I am working on things that are completely outside of my scope (medical rates management and product care). It's hard to stay focused on your job when you don't even have a solid handle on how to perform it.

One positive, the gym membership in the building is reasonably priced and their staff are excellent, so should you have time before or after work they are a great alternative to outside fitness centers. – less
Opportunities for advancement.
Benefits Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2015
EmblemHealth has provided me with my opportunities for advancement. As my first position in Human Resources I was surrounded by colleagues who worked in collaboration and genuinely cared about the development – more... of others. What I enjoy are the people I work with on a daily basis.

During my tenure I have seen many changes, mergers and acquisitions, senior leadership turnover and given the opportunity for advancement, which has shown me many different areas of the company. Unfortunately, a downside is the reluctance of change by senior leadership. Employees are asked to challenge the status quo, however when new ideas are brought to the table many do not come to fruition. – less
Productive work environment
Claims specialist (Current Employee), Hollywood, FLMay 28, 2015
Pros: exceptional co-workers
Cons: compensation & health insurance
Emblemhealth is a good company. My co-workers are exceptional people who are willing to teach you and answer any questions you may have.
Need more transparency
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 20, 2015
Pros: great work-life balance, opportunity for self-growth
Cons: HR sides with management, political environment
In the beginning,Emblem was a great company. The climate was more of a team environment. Management was supportive and provided constructive feedback.

Currently, communication is not transparent

I'm sure the company will bounce back but it shouldn't be at the expense of those whose feet are on the ground. Some of management should be included in these layoffs.
It has been a great company to work for. Unfortunately, the company continues to go through transitions, and lack in strategic vision.
Senior Manager (Former Employee), NY, NYApril 29, 2015
Pros: Decent work-life balance.
Cons: Too many changes in top-tier management, creating a lack of strategic vision, plus the inability to effectively compeat in the industry..
I have been with the company for 18 years and have experienced very good times. Throughout my tenure I have developed diversified extensive experience in corporate financial planning.
Worst company!
APPEALS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 28, 2015
Pros: It's was 30 minute commute to and from work each way.
Cons: Everything.
If you're thinking about applying to the Gtirvance and Appeals Department! RUN!!! You will regret it for the rest of your life! You will be miserable and traumatized! Management is horrible from Sr. Management – more... right down to supervisors! They are like drill sergeants. I left this company for another company doing the same thing for a 15k increase and to have a peace of mind! And if you think running to HR will resolve your issue, HA you are fooling yourself. Do yourself a favor and avoid this department by any means necessary! The GA Deptment give the company a horrible name! I hope with the financial loss of the company, it will take a look internal at the employees and fix management! – less
Good place to learn and hone Project Management Skills
Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 26, 2015
Good place to hone PM skills. Going through transition to Emblem from HIP. Very good EPMO office. Excellent co-workers.
a great learning experience
Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 18, 2015
Cons: long commute
great co workers. learned all about health insurance here. great location. really long commute........producing reports that improve our member's overall healthcare experience was the most enjoyable part
Constantly putting out fires
MANAGER, PROVIDER FILE OPERATIONS (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: instability
The company as a whole has been going through alot of transformation and cutback. As we loose staff through attrition they are not replaced even though the work is not decreasing. Most days consist of – more... handling hot items so we dont get burned, rather than doing our jobs and preventing fires from starting. Upper management is non supportive and inconsistant. The overall group of employees are a pleasure to work with and are easily motivated, co workers in management staff are unwilling to work as a team therefore causing unease on the floor. I started here over 8 years ago and hoped the enviroment would improve. Each year there are intiatitves that provide hope this will be the year. Above is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work itself, and my staff. – less