EmblemHealth Employee Reviews in United States

EmblemHealth overall is a good company that is currently going through growth changes
Facility Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2016
On a daily basis I respond to emails from the various providers I managed including answering Grievance and Appeals placed in my queue from customer service, Review spreadsheets sent by the facilities of their underpaid trended issues.
Our team work well with each other providing collaboration and assistance when asked.
Although I have come far with learning the 3 different systems however, I still have some difficulties with certain functions and need to ask for assistance. This is where I find my team years of experience at EmblemHealth very valuable..
Pros
Days off like Chirstmas Eve and New Years Eve
Cons
Changes in the Healthcare plan and no bonuses or raises this year.
no longer a great environment
pharmacy department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2016
When first joining the company. I thought I was joining a company that was one of the leaders in health care in the tri state area. Boy was I wrong. From the inadequate management to the politics between everyone from the top directors to the supervisors. Everything is scratch my back and I scratch yours. Never mind the fact that you are asked to give your blood for the department. The favoritism runs rampant which means people who sometimes can barely write an email are given titles. You know who has a title by the entourage they keep. If you are not a "yes person" and you speak your mind you become a target. From the on going rumors of the company bleeding money, and the slashing of departments with out warning. This place is in serious trouble. Theres no wonders in the few short years I have been at emblem. There has been a new CEO for every year I have worked there. I have also witnessed some of the best employees and directors leaving the company for the competition, yet the company is doing nothing to save the hard workers. on top of all that pensions have been eliminated along with bonuses. only a modest 401k and the health insurance that is supplied by the company continues to rise in price each year for the employees.
Pros
none anymore
Cons
eliminated bonus and pension, no breaks, no growth, I can go on..
1199seiu Expired Contract
Sr. Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  441 9ave New York,NYNovember 7, 2015
Emblem Health(HIP of New York and GHI) under one company. A total mess. Every other month another department is layed-off. This week at 441 9ave 3rd floor & 4th floor giving 3 months notice. We have good employees. If you're not part of the Country Club forget about it, pack your bags and leave. Union workers are being forced to quit or join the Country Club to work long hours with no pay. Let's see if Emblem Health will renew 1199seiu contract, expired in September 2015. Human resources department very disrespectful and unprofessional to Union workers. Members are confused about what benefits they have since the merger. Management and Supervisors are Lost, Directors are paid in full, and work twice a week. Can't say much about the New CEO she's new; rumors are she played a part of the recent lay-offs this week. Can't say it's true. The atmosphere was dull in the office this week, although the weather was great.
Pros
1199 Union Benefits, vacation, personal days, tuition reimbursment, pension, child care etc
Cons
No room for advancement for union workers, harrasment, division, irate members, providers and stress
Discriminating
S. Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 22, 2015
Daily routine is data manipulation. Resource/software are available to learn. Poor management style. Favoritism is rampant. Unequal opportunity for promotion. Few incompetent directors cause stressful work environment. Too many unproductive meetings.
Pros
Good overall PTO/benefits
Cons
Favoritism, Unequal growth opportunity, incompetent people put at leader position
Extremely Busy Office
Contract Compliance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
Working at EmblemHealth was a rewarding and fulfilling job. The work environment is open and close knit. The benefits offered are highly profitable and medical benefits are good. I would not go back to EmblemHealth due to the changes within management and how they relate to the employees. I did learn a lot and able to use the functions learned anywhere.
Pros
Compensation Salary, Health Benefits
Cons
Management understanding of staff issues.
Great Place but still has many areas of opportunity
Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Great place to work because of the people. The firm is in a transitional state to either make it or shut it's doors, I really hope it makes it.
Pros
People, benefits
Cons
Management, transitional culture and silo mentality.
EmblemHealth
Data Control Clerk II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2016
A great company to work for. They have great benefits such as health / dental / pension /401k benefits. One of the best. The management is very helpful and understanding. The best company to work for and the salary / pay is excellent.
Pros
salary / benefits
Cons
none at the moment
Transformation
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2016
EH is currently going through business transformation and should emerge a very strong company. My experience is that it will be a great place to work once the transformation is complete.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
Late communication
Used to be a good company
Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2015
EmblemHealth was a good company before 2014. Now the company is struggling, turnover is at an all time high, morale is low and career advancement is zilch. The company is looking to eliminate 800 positions. So far, they've let go about 400-500 people. Also, many positions will not be filled from retirements and resignations. People are doing 2-3 times the work and there's no recognition. However, there is a new CEO and she may right the ship, but its going to be a long time before this company gets turned around.
Pros
Benefits, gym, lower cost luncheons
Cons
Low pay, poor review system, office politics run amok
It was a job
Senior Desktop/Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYSeptember 16, 2015
Superb benefits and plenty of vacation time. Those are the two top pros for working for this company. Other than that, it goes down hill from there. Huge lack of communication between the departments. Very draining environment. Management does not see what their employees do so no one receives recognition for their good work. The company is in financial trouble. Because of this, the typical employees receive minuscule raises, no bonuses; however, higher management always seems to benefit regardless how the company is doing.
benefits
Cons
payscale, no communication, very easy to get walked on
Changing corporate culture which has negatively impacted the work experience and benefits for emp;loyees
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, New yorkSeptember 4, 2015
This was a wonderful company to work for and with. However, poor management culture and inept decision making over the years have tarnished the company. Job stability is non- existent at best. What were
once excellent benefits to employees have been eroded. The company's greatest asset is still its employees, management needs to be cognizant of that.
Pros
Still good benefits, colleagues
Cons
Stress work environment, no job stability and no company loyalty
No Accountability for Management
Provider Communications (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2015
Terrible Benefits. Long Hours. No Bonus. Leadership can harass employees with no repercussion.

Any employee over a certain age was terminated with no notice and their benefits stolen away by greedy management.

Do not work here.
Pros
None.
Cons
Benefits gone. No advancement. Country club leadership.
Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2015
Emblemhealth is a great origination to build the foundation of a career, however there has recently been a reduction in benefits. Overall, it’s a great organization to work. The work day goes by quickly. If you are willing to learn they will teach you. I was impressed that I was given an opportunity for employment without a background in the industry. After four years of employment, I now have the skills and training to work in any sector of the health care industry.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Reduction in benefits
Productive and offers a great experience
supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2015
EmblemHealth offers great opportunities and benefits. It can be challenging to complete tasks with short timeframes but you will learn a great amount working in the company.
benefits
Cons
currently facing hardship
its now what you know its who likes you there
Grievance and Appeals Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2015
In my opinion you will not advance at emblemhealth unless you are connected. Stay away. The management that I have experienced don't know how to communicate respectfully to their staff. The director in the dept I was in had the personality of a gnat. I made a big mistake transferring from medicare sales to grievance and appeals.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lousy management staff
Health Insurance Call Center
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJune 20, 2015
EmblemHealth Administrators is a call center that provides health insurance to residents in the state of New York. Time management, conflict resolution, and data entry are skills that have been fine tuned during my employment at EmblemHealth. Management varies in skill and performance and offers guidance when necessary. Co-workers are always will assist when issues arise. The hardest part of the job is over coming obstacles that have yet to be corrected by business. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to concur the challenge presented each day.
Pros
Providing a positive experience to each customer
Cons
Benefits, opportunities for advancement and growth
Excellent experience
PC\Networking Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 26, 2016
I came into this company on a 2 week contract job to setup computers in a Training Room. 10 years later I am still here. They liked the way I worked and interacted with the customers.....so they hired me. It had many different departments (Claims, Grievance, Marketing....), and I had to deal with many different personalities and executive levels. This is health care industry, a satellite office to New York's main office, supported approximately 600-800 users depending on Peak Season, advertising.....
Pros
Learned many new skills
Cons
Pigeon holed, no advancement
Company is not doing well financially
Senior Desktop/Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 20, 2015
Being in the IT field, pushing projects out before it is ready, with known bugs, is not my preference of performing my work. This was a regular occurrence in my department, which only creates more work and headache for other areas.
Pros
Work with a great bunch of people, for the most part. Great benefits, 401k, onsite gym.
Cons
Very little communication between upper and lower management.
This is where you go to see your career die
Finance (Former Employee) –  New York , NYJune 11, 2015
I have to say of all the places I've worked at this is by far the worst place to spend your career. Every competent and innovative person who worked here and tried to change the environment ended up leaving. There is so much nepotism and incompetent people placed in upper management and they never leave (either friends or related to someone higher up). There is no management communication (company lost and loosing tons of money). If you want to advance in your care this is not the place for you. They never promote within and there are no bonuses or pay raises are a joke. This place will end up as a business school case study on how not to run a business. I beg you please go somewhere else your career will die here and if you stay to long you'll realize you learned nothing and the work you do will never be appreciated.
Pros
If you can give negative ratings there would be a - (negative) followed by 1 and a lot of 00's
Cons
Managment is incompetant, no bonuses, pay raise are a joke, never promote from within
Frustrating
Mainframe RACF Information Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  401 9th aveAugust 12, 2015
Work is tough and many staff that have left the company were not replaced.A lot of the knowledge left with terminated staff due to them being the primary or senior people

In those conditions it is hard to keep up with other companys and be
competitive.

The workday is very busy trying to complete tasks from prior days. Also many mistakes are made in trying to keep up that a good time of the day is spent correcting errors

Job/work balance is unbalanced as staff work overtime without pay and spend the bulk of the weekend supporting remotely

Compensation and benefits are less than average. The bonus is based on the curve and it forces management to rate an otherwise exceeds as an average and a meets as a needs. Reviews that start off with one rating are beatten down to another to comply with the Director's mandate. Yes prefabrication is possible, and most commonly employees contrive to beat each other down to get a share of the bigger bonus. .

There is no job security, once you are noted as a needs your days are numbered.

Management? There are people that direct the efforts of others and sign their time sheets. There is minimal planning and no attempt to introduce new technology or broaden one's skills
Pros
The Gym at 55 water and keeping your job
Cons
limited training due to budget issues