EmblemHealth Employee Reviews in United States

Company is not doing well financially
Senior Desktop/Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 20, 2015
Being in the IT field, pushing projects out before it is ready, with known bugs, is not my preference of performing my work. This was a regular occurrence in my department, which only creates more work and headache for other areas.
Pros
Work with a great bunch of people, for the most part. Great benefits, 401k, onsite gym.
Cons
Very little communication between upper and lower management.
Frustrating
Mainframe RACF Information Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  401 9th aveAugust 12, 2015
Work is tough and many staff that have left the company were not replaced.A lot of the knowledge left with terminated staff due to them being the primary or senior people

In those conditions it is hard to keep up with other companys and be
competitive.

The workday is very busy trying to complete tasks from prior days. Also many mistakes are made in trying to keep up that a good time of the day is spent correcting errors

Job/work balance is unbalanced as staff work overtime without pay and spend the bulk of the weekend supporting remotely

Compensation and benefits are less than average. The bonus is based on the curve and it forces management to rate an otherwise exceeds as an average and a meets as a needs. Reviews that start off with one rating are beatten down to another to comply with the Director's mandate. Yes prefabrication is possible, and most commonly employees contrive to beat each other down to get a share of the bigger bonus. .

There is no job security, once you are noted as a needs your days are numbered.

Management? There are people that direct the efforts of others and sign their time sheets. There is minimal planning and no attempt to introduce new technology or broaden one's skills
Pros
The Gym at 55 water and keeping your job
Cons
limited training due to budget issues
Grievance and Appeal Department
Care Management Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2016
Horrible place to work. Management has no respect for anybody and there is tremendous amount of favoritism. It is very sad but management abuses hard working employees so that their lazy friends can get away with doing nothing all day, taking extended lunches and coming in to work at whatever time they feel like. I am surprised that the new CEO is not doing anything to change this department because it is absolutely unbelievable to be a witness of all the unethical and unprofessional behavior of the people in this crazy place.
Pros
Cons
do yourself a favor and avoid working for this department at all cost
Professional and pleasant work environment
HEDIS REVIEW (Former Employee) –  Melville, NY 11747June 30, 2016
The few months that I was employed as a temp at EmblemHealth, I looked forward to going to work. The individuals that I worked with were professional and team players. Management was accessible and hands on. I was afforded the opportunity to learn several systems that enhanced my knowledge pertaining the field that I was employed in.
Pros
Because I worked as temp there are no pros or cons.
Cons
Because I worked as temp there are no pros or cons.
Constantly putting out fires
MANAGER, PROVIDER FILE OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2015
The company as a whole has been going through alot of transformation and cutback. As we loose staff through attrition they are not replaced even though the work is not decreasing. Most days consist of handling hot items so we dont get burned, rather than doing our jobs and preventing fires from starting. Upper management is non supportive and inconsistant. The overall group of employees are a pleasure to work with and are easily motivated, co workers in management staff are unwilling to work as a team therefore causing unease on the floor. I started here over 8 years ago and hoped the enviroment would improve. Each year there are intiatitves that provide hope this will be the year. Above is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work itself, and my staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
instability
Fun place to work with
Sr. SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2016
Good place to work with.
Employee friendly.
not much co-operative management.
Most enjoyabl part is the working environment.
job culture is also good.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Productive and Positive work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2016
A typical day at Emblem would be providing the best customer service to all our CMS Clients. The Management is exceptional
at training and dealing with daily issues that come up. I adore my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was I was hired as a consultant and my contract is up.
Pros
Great positive co-workers
Cons
no healthcare because I was an outside consultant
A Healthy Corporate Environment
VP / Senior Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2016
EmblemHealth, a $10B healthcare organization serving nearly 3.4 million people in the New York metro area.

Leadership is the focus. maintaining the core values of communication, collaboration, initiative, integrity and respect. These core values lead to building customer confidence, increasing customer satisfaction and ensure commitments to customers are met both externally as well as internally.
Overall Responsibilities
RN, CCM Manager (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYDecember 23, 2015
Responsible for 18 staff members in various levels of employ. Assessed productivity and compliance daily. Scheduled and led meetings as well as attended corporate meetings.
Monitored and facilitated day to day operations of case management programs. Designed proficiencies and efficiencies. Promoted quality care of case management.
Created communications for case management programs and for gaps in care for member health.
Designed workflows and assessment templates for case management.
Responsible for the oversight of the vendors related to case management.
Learned team management, project management and enjoyed the professional work environment and co-workers as a whole.
Pros
I enjoyed the creativity associated with my responsibilities.
Cons
Downsized - half of my department was excessed. Middle management in company excessed.
Good to learn new things
SR. ETL/DataStage DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 13, 2016
Emblem Health delivers a number of leading health benefit solutions through a broad portfolio of integrated health care plans and related services, along with a wide range of specialty products such as life and disability insurance benefits, dental, vision, behavioral health benefit services, as well as long term care insurance and flexible spending accounts.
High Turnover Due to Heavy Workload and Company Culture
Executive Secretary/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
My co-workers are wonderful intelligent individuals that work very hard. The days at the company have become long due to a heavier work load because of high turnover.

History and processes are being lost when people leave and this is wreaking havoc with the people left behind picking up the work.

The amount of work load is not being compensated and quality of life is being severely compromised.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Workload, No Bonus in 2 years, Culture Change
Meeting new clients is most enjoyable.
Facilitated Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 2, 2015
Challenging but a great place to learn. As the company starts to shift gears, its has becoming more challenging to maintain monthly goals.
Pros
Great Compensation Plan along with expense report prividgles.
Cons
Weekend hours
Good environment for new comers with computer skills
INTAKE MANAGER / CLAIMS SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2015
Enjoyable, good benefits, union environment, fast pace, demanding, Environment and culture is changing very fast.
Enjoyed my 19 years commuting from NJ which is now quite costly.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Union culture, difficult to get work done as a management
At EmblemHealth we sponsor Health Fairs especially during open enrollment season which is fun to be part of.
CARE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2015
I am in Medical Management involved with the Coordination of Health Care benefits for plans such as Medicare, Medicaid, EPO, PPO, HMO. Public Relations is a vital function of this position interacting with vendors, subscribers, providers and working directly with Marketing and Utilization Management and the Health Care Act in New York State. A typical day at work is setting up cases for a patients that have been admitted into the hospital, or are having ambulatory surgery.
I also arrange Ambulance service, Durable Medical Equipment and Home Care services for patients being discharged, or in need of these services. Once these cases have been set up they are forwarded to our nurses who determine the medical necessity based on the clinical notes from the providers.
I work in a very fast pace environment on multiple tasks where deadlines must be met to be in compliance with New York State.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping patients and advising them what services we can offer them, based on the plans of their contract. I also enjoy working and arranging Health Fairs.
I was a temp.
Floor manager/ trainer (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 29, 2016
This is one of the best jobs I have ever had however I was a Temp.
I trained 1/3 of the sales floor on systems (5 different) ACA, Medicare, Medicaid. Chip and for many state federal and city employ groups as well as many unions. I also had to manage the floor some times as many as 125 Licensed reps. My co- managers and upper level managers were some of the best people I have ever worked with. The job had changes every day it kempt me on my toes with customer calls, agent needs, reports training time past quickly because there was always something to do I loved the job.
Pros
Great pay great people great job
Cons
Tempory
Worked hard and preformed duties effectively and efficiently
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 31, 2016
Made sure that duties and obligations were first priority.
Learned a lot about logistics, customer care, different products and
merchandise.
Maintained and constructed work sites and organized routes, unloading and loading techniques. performing at a high level in an hostile environment.
Associated with the majority of my co-workers in which some of them we formed relationships outside of the workplace.
Making sure that every assignment was completed in a timely fashion on a daily basis.
Getting assignments done in grand fashion.
Pros
Hard worker, except challenges and have the will and fortitude to over come obstacles
Cons
Tendicies to feel unappreciated for work perfomance
Good
IS Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2016
• Operate as service point-of-contact for help-desk, helping to diagnose, troubleshoot, related to both hardware and software and resolve approximately 50-60 tickets per day.
• Providing 100% phone support in a technical environment
• Use Heat as ticketing system.
• VPN support, Active Directory support
• Support customer on windows XP, 7, 8 and newer versions as well as mobile OS( ios, Andriod, Window phone etc)
It's "WHO" you know and not "WHAT SKILLS" you know
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2015
PRO: Benefits, work flexibility, offers telecommuting (to a selective few), on site gym, and wellness program, great team environment for a lucky few... Bonus structure is competitive to the industry.

CON: Compensation - competitive ONLY to a selective few, minimal internal career mobility, Leadership is out of touch with their employees, no employee engagement, no succession planning for the high potentials, unfortunately... it's "WHO" you know.

Company has potential to be a true Employer of Choice in the industry, needs realistic restructuring to achieve that goal.
Great place to work as a recent Grad, gain experience to update resume and move on after 1- 2 years.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2015
The hardest part of the job is the infrequent changes in Management/ nepotism/ lack in skill set/ experience in the position. Ongoing companywide layoffs is counterproductive to tagline "what care feels like". Company wide low morale not conducive for job work life balance.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working in the community, volunteering at events, representing the company to our subscribers.
Pros
Provider Networks, Neighbborhood Care Staff
Cons
Poor Job work life balance
Enter at your own risk
Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2015
I will say this: if you are a person that is firm, has a thick skin, likes to "shake things up" and can put up with tons of office politics then you'll do fine at Emblem. However, if you are a person that just wants to do their job, make a decent paycheck and attempt to grow a career, then do not walk but RUN from this place.

Anyone in healthcare knows the Affordable Care Act (aka "Obamacare") has completely changed the business of insurance. Some insurers planned ahead and are doing ok with the new changes. But other insurers aren't doing well and the result is they're bleeding money. Emblemhealth is the latter. Lack of corporate culture and bad management in the wake of the ACA has buried this company and unfortunately the employees are suffering. Major layoffs have occurred, compensation for remaining employees has completely stagnated and promotions are non-existent. Departments are a revolving door. Its sad because Emblem for such a long time was a good company but good people are either leaving or being let go.
Pros
9-5, telecommuting, on-site gym, reduced cost lunch program, lots of pto
Cons
horrible management, little career advancement, layoffs, non-existant culture