Emler Swim School Employee Reviews

I've never met a more amazing group of people
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXDecember 8, 2016
I am challenged every day to keep up with this crowd!

Working at Emler Swim School is re-energizing every day. The corporate team are the brightest, most hard-working folks I've been around throughout most of my career.

As a manager, I find that the team pushes me constantly to strive for my best performance, and while praise and congratulations are freely and easily given, it is followed by more challenges and opportunities to excel.

This is a great place to work and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to test themselves in a fast-paced and rewarding environment.
Pros
opportunities to shine; caring corporate and management team; collegial and team-focused environment
Cons
hard work! (but that's a "pro" as well)
Loving kids and teaching them to love water
Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 9, 2016
As an Emler swim school teacher, I enjoy teaching children and interacting with them everyday and helping children achieve confidence in the water. As part of the office team I was able to talk to the parents about any concerns they may have had and was able to help them in any way I could. As a manager on deck, I was able to watch over the pool, interact with children as well as help out in the office addressing the needs of the parents when needed.
Pros
Thanksgiving and last two weeks of december off
Cons
Is not a nine-five job, hours will vary
Teaching kids to LOVE swimming!
Deck Manager/Swim Instructor/Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMay 25, 2016
This is a fantastic place to work! I have worked here for over 3 years, and have loved every minute of it! You get to know not only your immediate colleagues and managers, but you also get to know the whole corporate team, which i LOVE! You get to teach kids all ages on how to successfully and safely swim in the pool. This is such a rewarding job, and trust me when I say that you'll love it! Managers work with your schedule if you are in high school or college, so that is never a worry for me! Also, Emler does this AMAZING tuition reimbursement program for you, if you go to college and are pursuing a degree. All you do is apply, and you could win up to $1000 per year! Pretty cool, huh? Come apply to one of our locations! You'll be so glad that you did! :)
Pros
Great pay; Food is always provided at meetings; Fun environment
Cons
Taking off is tough
Great place that is really flexible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 7, 2016
I worked here for two years and they were everyday was fun being with the students and their families. The staff is very close and instructed by good management.
Pros
Good pay, scheduling, time off
Cons
doesn't close often, must work saturdays
Great company
Manager (Current Employee) –  DFW, TXNovember 10, 2015
This is a great job with a great growing company. There is lots of opportunity for promotions. Working with kids is fun and rewarding. There are not many companies that you get to interact daily with the owners and founders like we do. Emler is very innovative and stays on the cutting edge of the industry.
love to work with children and teach them new things
Swim Instructor/ Office Assistant/ Host/ Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2015
At Emler Swim School i worked the front desk and was also a swim teacher. I took phone calls and scheduled classes and appointments.
Fun job with a positive environment
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2015
A typical day consists of reviewing the roster, as new students can enroll at any time. Set up the work station with what's needed, like fins, goggles, etc. A teaching shift will usually last at most (from what I personally have experienced) about four and a half hours of back-to-back classes.

I was also "office trained" which means I have experience in customer service and taking care of problems quickly and on-the-spot. I learned a lot about the child psyche and that being calm and underrstanding is the best way to get around a problem.

The managers are very honest, easy to approach, give great feedback and constructive criticism. They do an amazing job as keeping customers happy and getting them what they want, even if it means bending over backwards.
However, there is also some lack in communication between managers when it comes to office/in-water details; some things get lost in translation which causes staff frustration. It is up to the teacher to find a substitute if they are sick or want a vacation day/s rather than the employer.

The hardest part of the job is that I'm not always able to use the restroom whenever I need to due to the back-to-back classes. Adding children to water can create very high stress sitations, as one has to be on guard 100% of the time and making sure everyone is safe. Working with children is difficult, but is also the best and hardest part of the job simultaneously.

Easily, working with children and making a difference in their lives is the best part of the job. Knowing that they have the skills to get themselves
  more... out of a bad situation or being safe is the most valuable part of the job.  less
Pros
Rewards for goals reached, working with kids
Cons
Lack of manager communication, few days off
People who love kids teaching kids to swim
Swim Instructor/ Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJanuary 10, 2015
A typical day at work involves being in the water with up to four children at a time teaching them how to swim and enjoy the water while still being safety conscious and teaching the kids to be the same. Management is so helpful in making sure we are up to date with teaching techniques and are always on hand to offer extra help on the occasional day where a child is incredibly upset and doesn't want to be there. The hardest part of the job is being in the water for what can be long shifts(I have worked 7 hours continuously in the pool before) but it is most definitely made up for by the fact that I have been able to make children safer in the water and also brought them to enjoy something that might once have scared them.
Great company if you're an hourly employee
Manager (Current Employee) –  DFWNovember 25, 2014
Customer satisfaction and teaching kids to swim is really what Emler boils down to. All managers are concerned with ensuring the customer leaves happy, and if someone is unhappy they go above and beyond to fix it. The kids are great to work with, and they really love being able to see the same teachers every week. Overall, Emler has a great philosophy for teaching kids and making sure parents are happy. Coworkers are great, and most of the time everyone has a really positive attitude about their job.

The hours at Emler are very difficult, and certainly not for everyone. If you are a manager you are expected to close at least 3 if not 4 nights a week, and to be there for most of the day Saturday, if not all of it. The schedule isn't exactly conducive for a family or social life. Sunday's the facility is closed for lessons, but you might be the Manager on Duty, meaning you need to go up to the facility to check on the party if there is one, or check in on the facility. Taking time off can be a hassle if nobody is available to take a shift. Even as a manager you need a sub for your shift vs a standard job where you submit your time off and that's that. Emler is open for every holiday with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. As an hourly employee you have a bit more freedom to take time off, and the facility is typically great about working around your schedule if you're in school or have another part time job, but finding a sub can still be hard.

If the corporate team would remember to take care of managers who aren't Site Directors, I feel things like
  more... the schedule would become more bearable. So much time is spent talking about how we can make the lives of hourly employees better that it can make your other managers feel like they don't matter. Site Directors are taken on retreats, given higher bonuses, and have much better hours, so unless you're an hourly employee or Site Director, the glamour of the position is underwhelming.  less
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 12, 2014
:) splashing around with the kids. The people who work there are all really nice and professional. I learned a lot about teaching kids how to swim and its a great place to work. I always have a blast.
Fun Environment, Good pay
Swim Lesson Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXFebruary 14, 2014
Work with kids, teaching them to swim. Can be a lot of fun, work puts you in a good mood. Lessons are structured based on a curriculum that you are expected to follow for general lessons. Becoming a manager is a simple task, but requires much more work.
Pros
Fun, good pay, good environment, structured
Fun place to work and play with kids
Deck Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2012
A day would consist of checking lesson plans, teaching thirty minute lessons and playing with kids. Learned how to deal with a variety of personalities of children and their parents. Hardest part was moving from a teacher position to a management position which had more responsibilities than "playing". Most enjoyable was teaching kids that were afraid of the water to eventually swim.
Pros
fun workplace and good rewards.
Cons
no breaks in between classes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emler Swim School. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5