Emmaus Homes Employee Reviews

A life-changing career
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Warrenton, MODecember 22, 2016
I have been employed with Emmaus for a couple months now, and what started out as a job has turned into a life-changing career for me. I could never have imagined that being surrounded by so many genuine, loving people, (whether it is the clients we serve or my fellow co-workers) could have impacted me in such a profound way. Through this experience, my life has gained purpose and fulfillment. I'm so grateful for the people of Emmaus and the wonderful services they provide to such a great community of folks who really appreciate it.
Pros
Cons
NOTHING
Safe environment,nice people,nice clients
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, MODecember 7, 2016
Working at Emmaus is a cool laid back job. He don't have to do much work. The mission is to make a difference in these guys life and not to question they intelligence. Emmaus pays great and also has good benefits.
Pros
Can work on your own
Cons
Hard to find someone to cover your shift if time needed off
too long ago to be useful
Maintenance/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Marthasville, MONovember 11, 2016
coordinated scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, for 35 cars and vans every month. Performed minor and some major repairs.
better then nothing
Assist clients (Current Employee) –  Marthasville, MOFebruary 24, 2015
Typical day at work: you go in the house and if you are hard worker you do what you are supposed to, if not you do the basic, it doesn't matter anyway for management as long as you are present in the house.
I learned: to understand people better, to moderate my work and not stress because it's not worth it and CPR.

Management doesn't have any relation with what is happening actually in the houses with the clients, they don't respect direct support people, they think nobody under them deserves their attention.

Co-workers are good in my house.

The hardest part of the job for me is the lack of appreciation.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the relation with the clients.
Pros
pretty relaxed workplace, benefits
Cons
no advancement opportunities, rigid system
productive work environment
care giver (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOJune 4, 2016
This is a good place to help the developementally disabled achieve their goals. I have nomore to say about this company. the hardest part of the job is the high turn over rate,because you want staff to get to know customers needs.
sourceful and helpful place
HOUSEKEEPING (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJune 7, 2016
prepare clients with hygiene, medical appt., eating, toileting, social, and safety skills, etc, transportation, community
Wonderful place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 3, 2016
Emmaus is a wonderful place to work, it's just that it requires a lot of driving. Which is fine, it's just the mileage just isn't enough. A typical work day is dropping off 2-3 clients and making sure the other does an outing (activity) as well. Administering meds, cooking, and cleaning. I love it!! I have learned that everyone does not like to communicate, which is vital for the workplace. My manager is really nice she stays on top of her work. All of my co-workers are nice people as well it's just the communication issue with them, and that's actually the hardest part of the job. I enjoy working the clients and making sure they're comfortable and their needs being met.
Pros
I love the job because I am able to help others.
Cons
Mileage doesn't add with gas prices.
This is a good place to work
Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 27, 2016
This is a good place to work and everyone is nice! The organization is helping a number of mentally-disable people and they are kind-hearted!
Family oriented environment turned corporate
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOMarch 8, 2012
Unfortunately a once preferred provider of services to adults with disabilities has become more concerned with corporate culture than caring for its residents. Long term residents were quickly jettisoned to new agencies in an attempt to save money. Unfortunately the savings were never realized to the detriment of the clientele.
Pros
acceptable work schedules
Cons
terrible management, misuse of funds, overly restrictive on clientele.
Job is not worth the money
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MONovember 11, 2015
Not in a position to speak on it
High turn-over
Consumer based
Can become complacent
May feel pay is not worth the pay
A good stepping stone to a nursing or medical career
Moving clients out into the community-quickly and haphazardly
Residential Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOOctober 19, 2012
Emmaus Homes was started in the late 1800s to help people with disabilities. They have a gorgeous campus in St. Charles where the clients live. Emmaus is vacating the campus in order to integrate the clients into the community, which is fantastic; however, they are not staffing the new homes before they open them. During my brief time with the company, I opened two homes, neither of which were adequately staffed before clients moved in. Had I not worked many hours of unpaid overtime, there would have been no one to care for the clients.

Emmaus does not properly train their managers, which among other things makes for a very high turnover rate.

Also, it's a nonprofit organization and the directors drive very swanky company vehicles.
Pros
flex schedule, great clients, generally amazing co-workers
Cons
poor pay, poor management, virtually no training, corporate greed
Easy job you learn a lot of new things everyday
Bathe, groom, and assist clients (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJanuary 30, 2016
I love my job and what I do I like to help people I am a people person. I like the events we do with the clients . I like how the company wants the clients to be independently as possible.
Productive fun work place
Set schedules for staff (Current Employee) –  Marthasville, MOJanuary 24, 2016
I enjoy the fact that I help benefit someones life in every thing I do at this job. I help with transportation, meal prep, passing meds at scheduled times, I assist with personal hygiene, and with day to day chores.
Emmaus Homes is a great place to work or volunteer if you truly love making a difference in the lives of others and seeing them grow.
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOMarch 26, 2012
At Emmaus Homes you learn a great lesson in being selfless. Staff are friendly and it's really easy to look at the people you work with and support as family. This is a great job for people graduating from highschool and going to college or for a person looking to retire.
Pros
chaperone money is provided for outting, reimbursement for mileage on personal vehicle, they offer a 403b, and you have fun making others smile
Cons
the healthcare benefits aren't the best, but it is better than not having anything at all.
My favorite job
DSP (Former Employee) –  Marthasville, MOJuly 17, 2013
Was my favorite job ever! The pay is a bit low, understaffed so hard to request time off. Management had their favorites who got better treatment. I ended up in a good house in the end. Loved my co workers and Manager. Loved the clients. Easy job, sometimes your safety is at risk with clients but usually avoidable. I wish I was still in Missouri and I would be there working!
Pros
Free meals, outings, teaching clients, healthcare experience, laid back
Cons
Not paid enough, not able to ask for time off
Suuport
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  St Charles, MOJuly 16, 2014
A typical day at Emmaus Homes would include providing personal care and support for individuals with disabilities. I learned how to help enhance the life of others through daily support and community integration. The hardest part of the job is saying good-bye to those served at the end of my shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a smile on the face of the person or people I provided assistance to.
Pros
Flexible workplace
Cons
no advancement
Emmaus Homes
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Marthasville, MoAugust 19, 2014
A Lot of staff have to pull double shifts because staff cannot be kept there and people misbehave badly. It can be a great place to work if you are highly energetic but I am and I about collapsed with it all. People bully you because they don't want to work the extra shift and you are the only one willing to. Managers are always stressed. Our manager just quit.
Benefits
Cons
Highly Stressful and risky
Company does well with and for their clients
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  St. CharlesJune 2, 2015
Provide logistical support for the implementation of Individual Support Plans while assuring person served rights. Schedule programmatic activities and coordinate staff assignments with respect to those activities. Provide supervision and developmental feedback for Direct Support Professionals. Conduct performance evaluations and disciplinary actions for Direct Support Professionals. Act at a resource for the Residential Quality Manager (RQM) and members of the team. Assure day to day operations of the assigned home(s) or assigned areas are in compliance with all regulatory and Emmaus standards.
Career field d
Support Staff/Direct Care II and Relief Staff (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 23, 2014
Great workplace
Great environment
great people
Great customer service skills
Caring people loveable
Great for medical field
Great management
Pros
building realationships with the clients
Cons
short breaks
Direct support Professional (Emmaus Homes Inc.)
DSP (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOMarch 2, 2012
I provided services for people with developmental disabilities.
I also tought them how to do things for themselves, and to be as independent as possible.
Pros
meeting different people, helping those in need, communicating and working well with a team
Cons
no breaks, benefits, no room to excel within the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emmaus Homes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9