Emmis Communications Employee Reviews in United States

Not the best
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 15, 2016
Management was questionable at the time and many firings to bring in friends of management. Hopefully things have changed, they also were very selective with promotions at the time.
I spent 15 successful years at this company
Dj On Air Radio Personality (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2015
Working for the number one urban station HOT97 in its prime as a dj on air radio personality for 15 years was truly an awesome experience! I learned of wealth of skills during my time there! Everything from sharpening my people skills to understanding the business of music on a global scale. The wealth of knowledge obtained during my employment at Emmis is truly unmatched my any other job opportunity I was fortunate to have. My co-workers were also my competition at times which made for interesting in office politics, but ultimately we functioned as a tight unit. The most enjoyable part of the job was the life time of experiences I got from having intimate access to the music industry. The hardest part of the job is the politics and long hours.
Pros
promotional items, and all access at events like summer jam
Cons
the politics and long hours.
Emmis Communication
Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2015
Fun Place to work, but management do not develop talent. The hours vary from department. The compensation can be low. They ask for ideas and NEVER use them.
Pros
tickets (rarely)
Cons
No growth potential.
Fun work place in the entertainment industry
Assistant Producer/Editor/Videographer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2015
Each day was filled with various artist, celebrities, and occasionally politicians being interview. I learned the production costs to run a full time radio station, traffic logs, ad revenue. The hardest part of my job were last minute deadlines that were changed for a client. The most enjoyable part was coming into a department where everyone supported your progress.
Productive and fun work environment
Radio Promotions Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2015
As a Radion Promotions Intern, I learned what happens behind the scenes at a radio station and what it takes to put together on-air/online contests and station events.
Fun place but hard working place
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 22, 2015
Emmis was a fun work place. Very supportive coworkers and team. The work environment is very laid back but it is also very professional and hard working.
Fun Family Oriented when 98.7KissFM was here
Promotions/Marketing/Programming (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
BEST JOB EVER 98.7KISSFM was family oriented. We Had fun doing our job helping people bringing awareness to the TriState. Everyone knew who 98.7KissFm was along with the Team & On-Air Personalities. We worked together. It was more than a job, it was a career and we were family. The hardest part of the job was going home and not returning when the Radio Station was sold to another company. The Most enjoyable part of the job was growing as a Host/MC & DJ. Being able to make the listeners laugh and giving away prizes. Making people happy is the best gift ever for me.
Pros
making people happy
Cons
not enough prizes to give to everyone
working at Emmis
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMarch 4, 2015
A lot of shuffling around. Not much concern for employees. You really have to fend for yourself. Not a nurturing environment, that's for certain.
Pros
seeing celebrities, creativity during events
Cons
driving, not a lot of help from management
Wonderful transition job
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2012
When you interview for this job, they tell you right off the bat that the job is designed to help you move forward in your career, and to always be cultivating relationships with clients and co-workers.

I took this to heart, and worked very hard to always run the most efficient, exciting events, and always made sure to have a good rapport with those I was working for and with.

Our managers were fantastic, and the office ran successfully because of it. We were all trained well, and it showed in how we turned around and managed our interns.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience, and essentially helped me find my next job.
Awesome Company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2013
Top notch management and ownership. Always on top of industry trends. Super creative and always inventing great promotions to sell to merchants.
Electric Atmosphere, Great People
Promotions Asst/ Event Staff/ Board Ops (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2014
Emmis is an extraordinary company full of passionate and more extraordinary people. It has a very nurturing environment. Most of the staff have been there for years. They appreciate hard work and talent and when they see it, the veterans are more than happy to take you under the wing and help you advance and learn all you can within the organization. For a huge company, they have a tight family feel.
Pros
working with legends and the best in the field
Fun Workplace
Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 17, 2015
Maintain A Safe Environment For The Children. Play Games And Interact In A Positive Manner. Run Daily Activities By Schedule. Bring Children Different Sites At The Camp For A Fun Filled Day.
a great radio culture
On air talent (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 11, 2015
great people, good vibes the building. team effort to provide quality broadcasting for all Emmis stations in the St.Louis cluster.
Very productive and fresh environment
Traffic Department Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2013
Working at a computer and being able to walk around the station (hot97) was very exciting. I felt like an important asset to the company an =d what was being played on the air. I learned how to use Microsoft Excell and other radio production software. My co workers were extremely helpful in helping me learn more about the position and how to run it. The hardest part was learning everything at first because one mistake could cause loss of money and worse, so it was very nerve racking. The most enjoyable part was the knowledge learned and the people i met and connected with. As well as the free tea making machine!
Pros
cool laid back but professional setting, wealth of information and knowledge, wonderful co workers, free tea making machine, organic vending machine
Great People, Horrible Management
Director of Integrated Technologies (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 30, 2014
Corporate IT management needs an overhaul. High turn-over and bad moral is a direct result of bad leadership.
Pros
people, facilities
Cons
management
Internship
Marketing and Promotions Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2012
Great internship experience. I learned a lot at this company and there was always room for advancement. The people are very warm and teach you a lot about the business.
Great working environment
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2014
Great place to work, great co-workers and work/life balance
A productive & fun work place.
Executive Assistant/ Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2012
Poor management but lasting long friendships with fellow employees.
Pros
attend free events.
Cons
management, healthcare
Good company, good working environment. Disappointed in a few of the managers.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 22, 2013
Freedom to be creative and to work with your own schedule. Not a lot of guidance or structure which can be difficult for people new to the business. Better company for veterans of the radio industry.
amazing
Copywriter and Production Internship (Former Employee) –  santa monicaNovember 3, 2014
i got real hands on experience and was not treated as an intern but as a professional.