Emory University Employee Reviews

Graduate life is hard but bearable
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2018
Whenever anyone asks if they should go to graduate school I tell them no, for three reasons:
1) It's not worth it in terms of time lost, and the pitiful compensation
2) It's incredibly stressful and damaging to your mental health
3) If all it takes to keep you from going to graduate school is my telling you not to, you definitely won't make it.

That said I got a PhD and that's pretty cool.
Pros
Free food sometimes, lots of smarties
Cons
You will be crushed into dust
Awesome place to work
Research Administrator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2018
great work life balance, management is flexible and easy going. A typical work day can be stressful depending on deadlines and the mood of the faculty.
Great Experience
Surgical Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 14, 2018
Great place to work, wonderful people, learning experiences you can get anywhere else, loved my job but just could not kill animals on a daily basis with out taking the sorrow home on a regular basis. Especially when I specialize in surgery and emergency medicine and have it embedded in my head that I am here to save lives.
Pros
great work environment, benefits, great patient care, always something new to learn
Cons
Having to kill your patients on a daily basis made it hard to come home at night.
Get in & stay
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2018
Attaining a PERMANENT position with Emory is a challenge within itself. It seems to be a "who you know" type of environment, so networking is a must! If you get in, STAY IN!!!! I absolutely LOVED working here, but was not kept on due to my Temporary employment status.
Pros
Too many to name.
Cons
Being held back by unscrupulous staff members.
The Emory Way
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2018
It is a big organization. If you are blessed to get a good forward thinking leader. The sky is the limit. There are so many different jobs. Research, finance and many etc.
Pros
university has good benefits
Cons
behind in technology.
Competitive and stressful workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2018
The students were difficult to work with and very competitive with each other. I took a lot of time out of my scheduled work day to meet with students.
Meeting great people
Customer Service- Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2018
While working there I meet some interesting and friendly individuals. I still speak with those individuals. We looked out for each other and cover each other shifts. I built bond and supported some of the college students and doctors.
Pros
All Discounts
Cons
It was not full time position and I needed a full time gig.
no comment
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 3, 2018
I was a neuroscience graduate student so a typical day at work was spent in the laboratory doing experiments on animals. I loved the culture, very friendly and excellent support. Pay was low unfortunately but all graduate students do not get paid much so it was fine.
Patient Account Representative
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 26, 2017
As a patient account representative at Emory University, I learned and sharpened many skills that will help me moving forward in my career. I learned how to deal with and manage patents of all kinds. I learned how to schedule appointment and how to manage my time to ensure the completion of my day to day responsibilities. I also learned how to enter and manage referrals for students and providers.
Pros
Employers are flexible with schedules
Cons
No opportunities for growth
Satisfaction depends on Status
Lead Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2017
Low-rank employees face a lot of variation with managers they may or may not come across. Research staff are inherently paid low wages. No emphasis is put on career development or advancement, despite having programs available.
Senior Desktop Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2017
The lack of promotion is the hardest part about being you, you have to find someone to take interest in you in order to make it to the next level. But other than that, Emory offers a lot of great benefits for you and your family.
Emory is beautifull
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2017
Emory is a very beautiful southern university located in Atlanta.
Employees are very friendly.
Supervisors are trying to help individual career development. It feels like a home even now.
Pros
the supervisor helps individuals career development
Cons
it is academic only
was very fun position
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 23, 2017
organized european MBA student visits in atlanta and new york. Loved people and the travel. Sorry when job ended was very rewarding position and the travel was very educational
Pros
people
Cons
temporary work
Benefits are great
Clinical Genetics Scientist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30333November 19, 2017
Benefits are awesome at Emory but management isnt so great. I would recommend this company for the experienced. the company is also amazing for single parents that would love to send their children to school one day.
Multiple levels of opportunity
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 16, 2017
Emory is a vast company with a variety of options for advancement. Once you find the right niche it's hard to leave. If you work directly with any of the doctors or professors, it can be difficult managing your time as you have to be on their schedule, but the tasks are rewarding.
No chance for advancement in science
Lead Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 16, 2017
Emory does not give COLA raises. They do not reward devoted and dedicated employees. They try and keep employees at the lowest level. They only way to advance is jump departments constantly. Principle investigators try and get the most for the least. Post-docs and grad students are preferred so they can pay them even less.
benefits
Cons
pay, no advancement
Constantly send surveys about diversity, but campus tells all
Academic Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2017
Heads of department are ill-equiped to manage. HR is not supportive of Administrative or Administrators. Heads of departments need to be trained before or during holding office that require management experience.
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2017
Emory University has good reputation and Rollins school of public health is really beautiful and professors are nice and friendly, all the staff are helpful.
N/a
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2017
Implement innovative health education strategies to enhance efforts to effectively educate the affected populations, across the state of Georgia, their families, and health care providers on public health prevention of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and other drug related birth defects.
Sometimes stressful
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2017
Emory can be a nice place to work sometimes, but can also be stressful. The people in HR and higher up can make things very challenging if they do not know what they are doing. Depending on what department you are in the work you do can be very rewarding.