Empire BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews in United States

A very good company to work for, job security is definitely a plus.
Senior Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2016
Compensation and benefits are great, my work /life balance is excellent. A regular work day is very rewarding, teamwork played a major role. Management recognition also contributed to a productive day. Atmosphere very professional.
Benefits
Cons
out-sourcing
customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Very concerned about their clients and ability to answer and resolve issues within the first call. Very committed to the customers concerns and ability to have clients feel that their issue will be taken care of.
Pros
very committed to customers
Cons
favoristism
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYNovember 30, 2015
Work from home customer service position. Enjoyed helping customer resolve all issues. Able to maintain a positive relationship with all callers
Pros
Health Benefits/Work from home
Cons
Terrible management
At the time I worked for the organization, they were a very progressive employer.
Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 14, 2015
At the time I worked for the organization they offered a wonderful training program. They made sure their employees are prepared for their current positions.
Knowledge Builder
Director of Sales, Large Accounts (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 31, 2015
This was a great place for me to build knowledge during my career. Going from a Customer Service Representative on the phone as my first position and progressing to Sales Director allowed me to gain a large amount of knowledge.
Provider Service
Provider Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 12, 2014
New department National Proivder Services. Support Providers through claim resolution and interpretation policy guidelines. Internal functions included: claim interpretation, multiple computer system platforms, investigative analysis, interdepartmental coordination and special policy exceptions.
changed for the worse after going public
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJuly 11, 2012
Before going public, Empire was a lot of fun: there was flex time, funny contests, good sense of teamwork, and everyone seemed generally happy. As a claims examiner, I had access to my team's auditor and could analyze claims as she would. This allowed for 100% quality from me in my first quarter.
After going public, the focus changed to the profit margin, and it became a misery working there. I no longer had access to my auditor, as they were all sequestered into an independent department, and the new auditor had no idea how my team's account worked. I still don't like how things ended with them, but they left me no choice.
Pros
casual summer: shorts ok between memorial day and labor day
Cons
went to the "dark side" of corporate america
This is a good company to learn the healthcare insurance field.
Utilization Management Rep I / Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 19, 2013
This is a good company to learn the healthcare insurance field. There is a process and procedure for all work flow of the Medical Management Appeals process.
Cons
assembly line work flow.
Productive and relaxed
Agency Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYOctober 9, 2012
The day is pretty smooth, unless there is a high call volume.
The manangement is great
Pros
quaterly incentives & early departures
Cons
fifiteen minute break for the entire day including bathroom break after a 45 minute lunch
Insurance Billing/Claims
Medical Records Clerk, Medical Billing/Coding (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYDecember 12, 2012
Trained on billing system, learned to review claims, training and knowledge of HCPCS, UB04, HCFA, CPT & ICD9 codes, modifiers, EOB's.
Pros
pto and flexibility, overtime
Cons
short breaks, not enough hands on training

Want to know more about Empire BlueCross BlueShield?

Ask a question
they were very mean, except if you are a favoriteI
Utilization Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 30, 2013
I did learn a lot there. I did UM for 10 yrs then the other 10 1/2 I was
a benefit specialist , referred members to other areas that had chronic illnesses . I also took care of updating info, doing referrals, for sick babies. Calling Dr. offices, keeping a spread sheet , for the nurses, for review of Synagis for sick babies.

Also called hospitals for reviews, discharge dates .

The hardest part of the job was ,that my supervisor had favorites, and would have them spy on me, with what I was doing, and any mistakes I made.

I worked hard there. I came in early , I was there for over 21 1/2 yrs .
My job was eliminated ,when wellpoint bought them . I was put into a different position ,needed more training , they said no . By then I was not sleeping , was on anxiety medicine.

I wanted to apply for other jobs ,they would not let me . The hardest part of the job ,was being respectful to people , who treated me very mean. Then they said after all these years, of coming in early ,(not getting paid for it ) They asked me ,if I wanted to leave with my head held high,and quit .

I explained, that I was proud of my yrs there. I worked hard . Enjoyed my job, bout I am 57 yrs old, and needed my unemployment .
Pros
free xmas lunch
Cons
was mean, could not get a straight answer from her. hr there was only for the management, you had no right

2.8