Empire BlueCross BlueShield

Empire BlueCross BlueShield Employee Reviews

Knowledge Builder
Director of Sales, Large Accounts (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 31, 2015
This was a great place for me to build knowledge during my career. Going from a Customer Service Representative on the phone as my first position and progressing to Sales Director allowed me to gain a large amount of knowledge.
Provider Service
Provider Services Representative (Former Employee), Albany, NYNovember 12, 2014
New department National Proivder Services. Support Providers through claim resolution and interpretation policy guidelines. Internal functions included: claim interpretation, multiple computer system platforms, investigative analysis, interdepartmental coordination and special policy exceptions.
they were very mean, except if you are a favoriteI
Utilization Management Representative (Former Employee), Albany, NYDecember 30, 2013
Pros: free xmas lunch
Cons: was mean, could not get a straight answer from her. hr there was only for the management, you had no right
I did learn a lot there. I did UM for 10 yrs then the other 10 1/2 I was
a benefit specialist , referred members to other areas that had chronic illnesses . I also took care of updating info, doing referrals, for sick babies. Calling Dr. offices, keeping a spread sheet , for the nurses, for review of Synagis for sick babies.

Also called hospitals for reviews, discharge dates .

The hardest part of the job was ,that my supervisor had favorites, and would have them spy on me, with what I was doing, and any mistakes I made.

I worked hard there. I came in early , I was there for over 21 1/2 yrs .
My job was eliminated ,when wellpoint bought them . I was put into a different position ,needed more training , they said no . By then I was not sleeping , was on anxiety medicine.

I wanted to apply for other jobs ,they would not let me . The hardest part of the job ,was being respectful to people , who treated me very mean. Then they said after all these years, of coming in early ,(not getting paid for it ) They asked me ,if I wanted to leave with my head held high,and quit .

I explained, that I was proud of my yrs there. I worked hard . Enjoyed my job, bout I am 57 yrs old, and needed my unemployment .
This is a good company to learn the healthcare insurance field.
Utilization Management Rep I / Legal Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 19, 2013
Cons: assembly line work flow.
This is a good company to learn the healthcare insurance field. There is a process and procedure for all work flow of the Medical Management Appeals process.
Insurance Billing/Claims
Medical Records Clerk, Medical Billing/Coding (Former Employee), Middletown, NYDecember 12, 2012
Pros: pto and flexibility, overtime
Cons: short breaks, not enough hands on training
Trained on billing system, learned to review claims, training and knowledge of HCPCS, UB04, HCFA, CPT & ICD9 codes, modifiers, EOB's.
Productive and relaxed
Agency Service Representative II (Current Employee), Melville, NYOctober 9, 2012
Pros: quaterly incentives & early departures
Cons: fifiteen minute break for the entire day including bathroom break after a 45 minute lunch
The day is pretty smooth, unless there is a high call volume.
The manangement is great
changed for the worse after going public
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Middletown, NYJuly 11, 2012
Pros: casual summer: shorts ok between memorial day and labor day
Cons: went to the "dark side" of corporate america
Before going public, Empire was a lot of fun: there was flex time, funny contests, good sense of teamwork, and everyone seemed generally happy. As a claims examiner, I had access to my team's auditor and could analyze claims as she would. This allowed for 100% quality from me in my first quarter.
After going public, the focus changed to the profit margin, and it became a misery working there. I no longer had access to my auditor, as they were all sequestered into an independent department, and the new auditor had no idea how my team's account worked. I still don't like how things ended with them, but they left me no choice.

Empire BlueCross BlueShield Salaries