Empire State Building Employee Reviews

fast paste working enviorment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
start at 8am assisting customers with there belongings
while using the x-ray machine to check there bags for any suspicious packages checking for knives, weapons, drugs

we often get many visitors from different country's I learned other language's I learned to cope working in long hour shifts, I learn that taking care of people lives are important also to get them to there destination safe

Management is very great they make sure our needs are meet they go over rules and regulations so we understand and everyone is on the same page

my coworkers are funny and very down to earth I learn from the ones who train me there very lay back and easy to talk to

the hardest part about my job is having short breaks

being in the environment of the building and going t the highest floors in most enjoyable
Pros
flexable schudules
Cons
short breaks
the best place i ever worked at
Inside Sales Coordinator Cruise Line (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2016
I gained friends and people were very nice . We were like a family and i gained lot's of experience and knowledge from each one in the office we were good team
Great place to work!
Admissions Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2016
I enjoyed every second working at the Empire State Building. You walk into work with a smile and leave with one as well. The staff are extremely pleasant and kind. The management team is full of encouragement and deliver help if needed in great proficiency.
Great experience
Security Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2015
Had a blast meeting people from around the world. Felt amazing working and seeing such an ancient building as new every day
Fun and Exciting
Guest Relation Supervisor/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 29, 2015
A work day typically consisted of managing 50 to 60 employees and having an average of 10k to 12k guests visit the empire state. What made it exciting was the people and different departments coming together and experiencing something new everyday. It has taught me how to communicate with diligence and accuracy.
Pros
Workplace Diversity
Cons
work-life at times were difficult to balance
Nyc tourism at its best
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2015
Everyday was about making the guests experience memorable. The job was both tour guide,sales and security in one. It was consistently busy regardless of day or night.
Pros
consistent hours
Cons
no job growth
Knifs
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2015
The job was an experience and I learned alot about how to work with people hard work

I like that I was out side
Going to family house
Grade A building
Maintenance/Porter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2015
I worked over night for 5 years. I learned how to power wash , high dust , use different machines , operate freight elevators , as well as clean escalators. Management can some times become difficult to deal with based on how their day is going, As far as my co-workers everyone gets along pretty good. There was nothing hard about my job and the most enjoyable part was meeting people from all over the world.
Pros
Union benefits, overtime, steady schedule, salary
Cons
short brakes, uniforms ( wrong size, not fit for certain seasons ), certain machines didn't work
Fun workplace
Observatory Host (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 6, 2015
I would love to work here again!!!! I visited before I started workin here and the experience was awesome!!!!
Endless experience with great people
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the Empire State Building! It was a very friendly environment filled with an abundance of helpful and caring people. I met different people every day from all over the world and even learned to welcome them in their native language! It was a great experience which taught me to accomodate anyone young and old alike. It was by far my absolute favorite job, not just because the endless experience but also the great co-workers and phenomenal boss i was priveledged to work with
Fun work environment, because I encounter with people from all over the world
Multi-Media Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 10, 2014
Management did not communicate with star very well. The goal to exceed customer satisfaction should have been key for such a well establish environment.
Very nice and educational place to work
Observatory Guide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2014
The job was very easy but challenging at times. I learned how to communicate and work with a diversity of people which was both challenging and enjoyable for me. I always get along with my peers because i'am a team player and any place you work becomes your home away from home, your peers become a second family. The most enjoyable part of any job that I have is when i can make a guest or client smile and happy, that makes me very happy because it ensures me that i must be doing something right.
Pros
An hour and a half lunch breaks and great health coverage
Cons
Always being watched on the cameras
great meeting people from all over the world
Multi-media Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2014
it was great working with tourist and such a diverse enviroment.
a typical day was giving out audio guides to guest that gave them information about the observatory. Working here i picked up some French, Espanol and Japanese words. Management wasnt very fair. After our observatory Manager past away.Supervisors were moving to new positions and taking advantage of their roles. Very un-professional . There were lot of uneccassary remarks and they would even come to the bar with their employees.The hardest part of the Job was giving a free audio device to thousands of people that came to the observatory. But the most enjoyable part was working with my awesome co-workers and meeting guest from all over the world.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
no union, job always at will
Fun Work Place
Observatory Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2013
very competitive, work hard and the rewards are endless. If you like tourist and working late hours. This is for you
Pros
Weekly Compensation
Cons
Unpaid Lunch.
A good learning experience
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2013
the work place was always up beat and fun, A great leaning experience working with computers and staff. Each day brought a new challenge that had to be met.
Pros
Cons
long Train ride from Long island
Fun work place
Observatory guide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2013
• Maintaining a large volume of tourism
• Providing Information Validation
• Assisting with Celebrity visitation
• A great deal of communication skills
• Receptionist at the information desk
Pros
A lot of interacting with large volume of tourism
Fun energetic work place
Ride Operator/Observatory (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2013
A typical day at work is basically greeting the customers and expaining to them about the sky ride and how the ride operates. I learned from this job that making the tourist happy to visit the sky ride anytime they are coming to visit the empire state building.
Pros
hours are very flexiable
Cons
hourly rate
management will choose money over a life.
CUSTOMER SERVICE/GUEST SOLUTION (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 22, 2012
Good life but inhumane management..The beautiful part of the Job is seeing the whole new york city.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
inhumane, bad management, discrimination
Great Job but...
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2012
Great job, great co-workers. The only downside to working security there is that they do not investigate issues with employees, they just fire people. Got most if not all my security training; anti terrorism, metal detector, fire guard, etc. you name it they got it and its absolutely necessary, especially in such a prestigious landmark. Most difficult part of the job has to be the marble floors, they do a number on your back. Best part of the day is seeing so many people from all over the world.
Pros
clean, always have something to do, great breaks, flexible supervisors
Cons
just the fact that they treat you like you are replaceable, because to them security guards are a dime a dozen

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Empire State Building. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2