Empire State College Employee Reviews

A great environment to learn.
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYOctober 16, 2017
General office duties. Student interaction. Ability to learn new concepts, approaches and skills. Great management. A very diverse culture. Truly no hard parts of the job other than hoping for a full day's work which was rarely an issue. I enjoyed just about every aspect of the job. In order to gain full-time employment, they had to have job openings at the state level.
Pros
Excellent place to learn new skills and apply yourself.
Cons
No room for advancement as a temporary worker.
I love Empire State College
Administative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
Empire is the best i love my college as well as the faculty.Their all very professional individuals, with the ability as well as skills to help every student at any time.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N?A
enjoyable work environment
Adjunct Statistics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 14, 2017
I learned that it is difficult to motivate adults even. The management treats you very professionally and is great to work with. The workplace culture is very nice. The hardest part of the job is getting and keeping enrollment up. The most enjoyable part of the job are the students.
Pros
treated like a professional
Cons
enrollment is up and down
Online Faculty (Current Employee) –  OnlineJune 5, 2017
Great place to work with students from diverse lifetime experience who want to aim high and work hard to reach their goal.
College offers several programs to choose from.
nice place to work
Admissions Advisor/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMay 23, 2017
Both the students and the employees are super nice. The buildings are beautiful and in Saratoga the surroundings are super for lunch breaks and shopping.
Enjoy teaching STEM
Technology Instructor/Developer (Current Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 19, 2017
Students are highly-motivated mostly military students in eArmy University program. Students and curriculum are challenging and I constantly maintain up-to-date knowledge, skills and ability.

I completely revised and update my course in Data Communications and Networking this past semester.

Great course development and instructional team and support.
Pros
online
Work study position
LAB MONITOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2016
I enjoy work study at ESC, the staff is relatable and down to earth. The environment is relaxing and laid back; there is plenty of flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility, relaxed and positive environment
Cons
Set pay
poliltical
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYFebruary 28, 2016
you don't need a degree or friendly skills, you just need
to have a friend work there and you can goof off. The goof offs get promoted, the hard workers get harassed by the good offs
and run to management who hired them because management
does not know what they are doing and need the goof offs
to cover their rear ends.
Pros
Cons
see review
Excellent place to work
Academic Coach/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYNovember 29, 2014
I have learned a great deal from working for Empire State College It has been a very rewarding experience. Working with students from all over the world has provided me with several different perspectives.
I loved the work and everyone I worked with.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 18, 2014
This was a federal work study program position. Working in the college in a very undemanding job was very nice since I was encouraged to spend the time on my homework.
Pros
Wonderful people.
Cons
It ended with my graduating.
Excellent place to work.
Construction Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMarch 20, 2014
A tremendously excellent place to work. I was given room to do my job thoroughly with minimal supervision. My superiors were available on a need basis. The hardest part of the job was overcoming obstacles in the field. The most enjoyable part of the job was an excellent outcome.
Nice place to work
Secretary 1 (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 13, 2014
Nice place to work but looking for something more challenging.
Pros
close to home
Cons
very little advancement
Great school
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Saratogga, N.Y.June 25, 2013
I enjoyed Empire State College very much. It allowed me to expand my managerial knowledge and improve my studies.
horrible culture
secratary (Former Employee) –  nyFebruary 20, 2013
Employees come and go at will and dont anser the phones. The college is so focused on the faculty that they ignore the fact that they ahve students. Employess are treated with disregard and all unionized so no one is diong anyhting but checking FB all day.
Pros
state job
Cons
its like working in a kingdom as a serf.
Undervalued employees
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYDecember 12, 2012
A workplace where very little value is placed upon the individual.

Advancement is obtained via friendship connections and not employee worth.

I do not recommend this workplace.
Pros
one hour lunch, 2 breaks per day. compensation package is very good after one year.
Cons
personnel
hard work... little recognition...
Student Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York City--July 29, 2012
Although working hours were somewhat flexible the work was grueling. Everything was "IMMEDIATE.. ASAP" and you have little time to think about the work which you are actually doing. The workload ( for faculty as well as "professional staff" ) is number driven... "piecework"

Management which is usually distant ( geographically) often times does not actually know (or understand) the substance of the daily workload. As in any other work situation, some supervisors are caring, but some are there only to get their own work done. Consequently it is very much an "I care about myself first" kind of job for supervisors. My dean had no idea about the work for which I was responsible, or the substance [no less quality] of the work which I actually did. Of course, she regularly visited my work site about 3 times each year!!

Co workers in similar professional capacities were warm, welcoming and friendly. Those in superior positions were clutching to their own positions, and remote with "underlings".

Some travel around the state and generous research funding for travel to conferences and education were the best part of the job!
Pros
being part of the new york state employee system for health benefits was quite good!
Cons
sometimes very long hours and weekend work was essential