Employment Security Department Employee Reviews

Depends on who you work for, it can be fun.
Unemployment Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAMarch 18, 2017
Very busy everyday, learned about unemployment benefits and how it works, the management was not very good. Very low moral in the workplace, hardest part of the job was management and the most enjoyable part of the job was the pay.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Co-Workers
I Grew up here
Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 13, 2016
Spent 19 years at Employment Security. They have changed over the years and not for the better. The Worksource staff are wonderful and are really excited about their clients. The agency itself has had a change of direction and it translates into a toxic work environment.
Pros
Passionate People
Cons
Institutional Knowledge leaving
Was great until changes made at the top
Unemployment Fraud (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 15, 2016
The top administrator in Spokane was in over her head and didn't have a grasp of managing except by intimidation. Was great for the first 7 years, then downhill when administrator retired and a new one was appointed
Pros
Great pay, great clients, great co-workers
Stressful work environment
Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 5, 2016
I would not recommend to anyone to work for this organization. Stressful work environment, bad leadership, low morale, frequent turnover.
Pros
Cons
Heavy work load, low morale, no employee appreciation
Loved this job
AMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT 2 (Former Employee) –  Kelso, WAMarch 16, 2016
I was included in the state wide lay off in January 2012. My duties included minutes, support of 30 employees, travel arrangements, ordering supplies, reception, inventory.
Good Place to work
Senior.Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 15, 2016
Good place to work and you can learn while working.
Gained Domain Knowledge.
Management is helpful and cooperative
Helpful colleagues.
Fast paced environment
Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  lacey, WAJuly 5, 2015
Busy fast paced environment. Must be able to work independently and in a team environment. Must be able to make independent judgement.
Customer service
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAFebruary 28, 2015
My typical day of work is come into the office and help my co worker get thing done on time and the thing i learn about work with them and is understand which account need to put into the database. The managment was very helpful too and my co worker was wonderful and the hardest part of this job was some the number were mix up and i have rewrite by hand.
Good company to work.
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 14, 2014
Good company to work for and gain experience in insurance or taking claims.
not a typical state agency
Data Collection Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAOctober 29, 2014
many opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work hard and stand out.
State Government position Employment Security
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  212 Maple Park Ave, Olympia, WA 98501October 5, 2014
The quality of the work experience depends a great deal on the leadership of the Commissioner. When a new governor is elected and this leadership changes, changes are inevitable in the agency. State employees are at the mercy of leadership and budget. Periodic layoffs are unavoidable. In the case of Employment Security Department, severe budget cuts coupled with a change in leadership resulted in massive layoffs of staff. Not all decisions regarding the layoffs were fair or reasonable. Customer service to the taxpayers of Washington State was not a consideration. Do not work for the State if you want to go to bed at night and rest assured your position will be there for you the next day, even if you are an exemplary employee.
Pros
Health benefits and vacation days
Cons
Please see review. Job security is not ensured
Valuable mission, plagued by budget instability
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  Olympia WAJune 12, 2014
The Employment Security Department was a lifeline to hundreds of thousands of unemployed workers during the Great Recession. But deep budget cuts in the wake of the recession are jeopardizing the agency's ability to maintain even core levels of services.

There was a time when Employment Security was a magnet for people looking for interesting careers that helped others enter and build their careers. The work is important - and there was a strong sense of togetherness in helping people navigate and survive the recession.

It's unfortunate and ironic that so many of the ESD staff who helped unemployed workers during the recession are now, themselves, customers of Employment Security. I miss the "not so old" days, and hope the agency eventually bounces back.
Learning experience
Telecenter Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 11, 2014
Working in public sector learning experience
Enjoyed the people
Enjoyed learning how government works
High productive and busy place to work in.
Human Resource Consultant Diversity Outreach (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMarch 6, 2014
Enjoyed making connections with community organizations to present information for Employment Security Department and how both sides can benefit.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 14, 2013
I got to see what kind of people my grandma deals with on the Government system.
Hard working supportive staff
Data Compiler 1 (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WADecember 3, 2013
Enjoyed working for ESD. The staff was very accommodating and the management style encouraged a positive working environment
Cons
temporary
The Employment Security office is a wonderful place to work for. they saw my skills early on and have me doing there graphic design, and advertising.
Resource Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kelso, WAJune 26, 2013
I help in the resource room, helping to make people shine in there resume, and cover letter. Helping them realize what they are capable of. I get very high praise from my employer. they have me doing there graphic design for there advertising and flyers. I put together all power points, while maintaing and helping with computers and solving any problems that come along. I adore working with the public and using my computer skills which come so natural to me to help people create cover letters and resumes that they are proud of. It not only boost there self esteem but also the economy because it makes more people be working. I am very facinated and engaged in graphic designing and advertising so I love being able to use my creativity to help design there aadverisements and flyers.
Pros
Knowing about all the jobs that are available and help stimulate the economy
Cons
The temporary lay off that the state is getting ready to go through, because of the budget negotiations
I enjoy to work for ESD. Learn a lot about public services
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 27, 2013
Good if I stay on this job a long time. Learn a lot about public services. Management is good. Co-worker is wonderful
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great jump off point
Receptionist/Intern (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WAMarch 26, 2013
Great place to work if you need a starting point and are coming through DSHS.
It was a fun and stable place to work.
Document Examiner (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 17, 2012
A typical day would be to sort papers. I worked with some nice people.