Emporia State University Employee Reviews

great job for students
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSAugust 23, 2016
Working at Emporia State while being a student was a great experience. everyone was very supportive and knew that school came. first i needed to take a night off for class they would allow it.
Helps its students and graduate assistants very well.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSJune 23, 2016
Cares about helping other obtain jobs and advance in their careers. It has supportive staff who go out of their way to do the best they can. .
Productive work place
French Tutor (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSMay 19, 2016
One of the best places to work in Kinshasa, you learn so much. Good pay. Best management. The boss is really nice, he easily understands when you are sick and cannot go to work.
Excellent to work for
Technology Support Consultant II June (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSNovember 18, 2015
This university really cares about its staff. I would like to say that it needs more diverse hiring in management but beyond that it is a solid place to work that cares for its employees and provides great benefits.
Pros
Healthcare, Location, Staff Demeanor
Cons
Outdated Systems
Learning Experience
Enterprise Report Developer (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSNovember 13, 2015
Since I am currently only a student worker I can only be exposed to a limited amount of highly sensitive information. I am still able to learn and achieve my job duties, but only if my employers makes sure it is safe.
Pros
Extremely Flexible Hours
Cons
Pay for a student is minimal
Good place to work for students
Student Secretary (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSAugust 18, 2015
Overall I enjoyed working at the biology office at Emporia State University. The job itself was usually pretty slow-paced and had a casual atmosphere. The deliveries for labs were usually live microscopic animals in liquid that had to be aerated as soon as possible, so I usually did that if I could not contact the person in charge of receiving the delivery. Occasionally someone would come in with a snake to identify and that was exciting because I knew a lot about the local snakes, so not only could I identify the snake, but I could also tell the person about the life history of the snake. I took the job partially to get used to talking on the telephone, and I have gotten a lot better at that. I shared the job with one or two other students, and the shifts did not always match up, so sometimes communication with the other student secretaries was not good. Sometimes I would be working on a specific task and would either try to show the next person in the shift what I was doing, or leave a note for them explaining the task. Sometimes the next person in the shift would get confused and do the task incorrectly (or maybe they thought another way was better), or not do the task at all. If they did not do the task, I would just do it on my next shift and it was not an issue. Because the job was only for students, when I graduated I had to leave the job as well.
Pros
casual atmosphere, interesting things brought in
Cons
student-only job, pay was slightly above minimum wage
Great place to work, faculty and staff go out of their way to help others as needed
Head Academic Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KsMarch 26, 2015
Great environment with a great supporting staff that encourages learning and improvement in a nurturing and patient manner. Hardest part of this job is learning the people skills necessary to train and instruct diverse populations of students.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
limited pay- per contract
Excellent Employer
Chair, Department of Counselor Education (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSMarch 25, 2015
Emporia State University is an excellent employer if you want to work in higher education. They support faculty, staff and administration.
Pros
Cost of Living, Colleagues, Climate, Community
Cons
Regional School, non-Research 1
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSSeptember 18, 2014
I was a work study student and I loved working at the college it was great!
Pros
great coworkers flexible schedule
Great school for Teachers!
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSAugust 11, 2014
As a graduate teaching assistant, my tasks ranged from simple office duties to leading guided student discussions. I learned how to manage my time and gauge student comprehension from the college level on a part-time basis. I enjoyed my co-workers and the atmosphere, but their truly wasn't anything to hard about this job. The most enjoyable aspect of this position was teaching students, and seeing their forward progression.
Pros
fun work environment, good relationships
Nice college in a nice town
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSJuly 25, 2014
ESU is a great school. I loved study and live there!

People there are very friendly. Faculty are very friendly to students. Nice culture.
Education rules!
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSMay 29, 2014
Exciting day to day experiences in working with faculty and helping students achieve life long goals.
A great place to work.
Senior Management Secretary (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSApril 30, 2014
I worked there several years ago. The position took me out of my comfort zone and I learned so much. I travelled and was responsible for setting up national conferences for Presidents, Deans, and Provosts of 35 different universities. I believe this position made me a better, more knowledgeable employee and showed me that it is good to go outside the box and learn new things.
Pros
lots of travel
Cons
a very high maintenance supervisor
nice place
Office of International Education (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSNovember 6, 2013
I learn a lot in here, and the teacher in there are great. When I volunte in the OIE office during the tax season, I feel professional and thinksful that I had this opportunity practise and help students their tax.
Overall great place to be!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSOctober 29, 2013
Great school, professors and atmosphere! Work study program is great for any student and they really work with your schedule
Fun work enviroment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towers DormOctober 22, 2013
Receive, sort, and process mail for residents, make work schedule for reception assistants, help residents, work on special projects from complex coordinator.

Visit with residents, great co-workers, great boss.
Pros
internet time when not busy
Cons
not enough hours
Great learning opportunity
Tutor-Chinese (Former Employee) –  EmporiaOctober 16, 2013
Tutoring students who was learning Chinese on campus was my job. I love that job because I have more opportunities to get in touch with more people. I learned tons of communication skills during that time
Since it was an on-campus job, there was only minimum pay. However, the main point of that job, as far as I concern, was to help people to better understand Chinese languages as well as Chinese culture. And I am happy that I did something that helped people to know more about China
Independent
Football Manager (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSSeptember 7, 2013
Typical day:
✓ Washed multiple loads of laundry
✓ Worked independently
✓ Folded and organized uniforms
✓ Hung and organized practice clothes
Gta
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSAugust 26, 2013
I enjoyed being a GTA at ESU. It was a tremendous opportunity to supervise staff and gain experience in anagement.
Pros
free tuition, office, access to faculty
Great place to attend graduate school
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSJuly 9, 2013
Small town, small courses, engaging faculty. Pay is unlivable as a graduate assistant but you do get tuition waived; however, not all fees, just the tuition itemized portion.

4.6