EMQ FamiliesFirst Employee Reviews

Not the same thing from one day to the next
Counselor II / Sub Crisis Response Counselor (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMarch 29, 2017
Everyday is a new thing and a new problem. I have to say that I have learned a whole lot from working here. I had different jobs and they made me to be who I am now when it comes to working with the youth.
work a lot
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CAAugust 18, 2016
You work a lot of hours and have to travel a lot to community visits. Lots of paperwork for MediCal billing. Pay is fairly good and benefits are good.
Great Starting Point
Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 12, 2016
It was a great learning experience. A good jumping off point for the career I want to pursue. I worked directly with the top 1% in difficulty kids in Santa Clara County. Each youth I worked with was different from the last, some were either foster youth, at-risk youth, or homeless youth. I also worked directly with the youth's caregivers and their social workers, along with other county or mental health organizations. This job was a great place to jump into the mental health world as my aspirations included becoming a therapist for youth and their families.
Pros
Health care, great benefits, great teamwork, compassionate people, knowledgable and more flexible than any other team
Cons
tough conditions, tough kids to work with, sometimes working long or random hours
Can be very stressful.
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 27, 2016
Before considering this company just know that there is a TON of paperwork to do. They don't care if the job requirements infiltrate into your personal life and time so long as the work gets done! Productivity is a priority and they want billable hours so whatever creative way you can bill they want it done. Work load is insane and you may find yourself working afterhours to keep up. Great medical and dental benefits but the pay is horrible for the degree of education and workload.
Benefits
Cons
Insane workload...whatever it takes even if it takes you from your own family.
its like working with people that treat you like you are less then them its sad.
Parent Partner/ parent Advocat (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, CAMay 23, 2016
the people are the best co-workers are the best but supervisor are just ignorant individuals for better words its a shame people that are suppose to lead us and represent the agency act in the manner they will say bad words, talk about cases out lloud they dont have not one gram og empathy or integrity its stressing people out to the new hires they distroy how wrap is when they are teaching the cores everything is therapy now and wrap is a program that nmeets the familys needs and understan what they are going through
Pros
nothing
Cons
treatment is bad and no communication nor knowledge of what they are doing
Great People!
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 14, 2016
I met great like minded people! Pushed me to go further with my education! I would work here again! The only bad part is the pay and long hours.
Pros
friends, benefits
Cons
over-worked and under-paid
The good and the bad
Social Worker I / Adoption Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Modesto and Stockton, CASeptember 5, 2015
I only recently left the agency after over more than 9 years as an employee with one of the Central Valley regions. When I began with the agency, when it was originally FamiliesFirst, Inc. there was a very strong family vibe internally as well as externally. The supports as a worker and for the families we worked with were phenomenal. The staff worked in harmony at least 95% of the time, all staff from admin all the way up to local management. This changed over the years, after a few layoffs after the 2009 merge with EMQ. During my last two years at the agency, the management was not up to par, accountability by certain management was nil, and there was a negative internal culture within the work site due to favoritism and lack of accountability. Although there were still supports internally that were still strong, it was more of a smaller group of supports than global, as it once had been. If I have learned anything from this experience, it is you have to enjoy your co-workers about as much as you enjoy the families and children you work with, even when times are challenging. It was this continuing internal disconnect that led me to leave the agency after such a long time. Upper management was almost invisible until issues arose, which is something they were trying to improve on, but were slow on the go with it by the time I left. There are truly dedicated workers in this agency, not just locally, but across the agency as a whole that continue to allow for the agency to have a decent, if not good, reputation. It however, needs to continue to improve, and this needs  more... to start with its staff. I honestly would have stayed longer if the internal environment had not declined as it had. Great work experience though. The two things that most staff report as the reason they stay with the agency is the good medical benefits packages provided by the agency as well as flexible schedules. Works well with staff who have families.  less
Pros
Dedicated staff on the most part, some truly tremendous foster parents, Flexible schedules which work well with family life, Great medical benefits
Cons
Poor interanl problem solving, some poor management, occasionally the agency's vision is clouded by the business (numbers) aspect, Needs to continue working on improving competitive compensation across the board for all positions
lot of opportunities to explore and learn.
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  campbellMay 22, 2015
gained significant experience in web development.lot of opportunities to learn and explore in the field of web development
Rewarding place to work for
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 16, 2015
Great place to work for. Always able to help people in need of resources. Great benefits. I've learned to assist people of all cultures with all kinds of needs, finding housing, kinship assisting, etc
Flexible schedule with many training opportunities and personal growth.
Clinician I Family Therapeutic Services (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAJanuary 20, 2015
The schedule is flexible as clinicians are able to manage their own schedules, in order to meet the individual needs of the youth and families. A day may consist of meeting with youth and families at my office, their home or in the community. There are also pscho social assessments, safety plans and treatment plans required for each youth/family.
I have learned a lot about how to manage my time and stress level. Every day and every youth/family is different. I have learned to really listen to a youth's strengths, challenges, visions and dreams and to collaborate with a team of family/service providers to facilitate positive, sustainable changes in their lives
My direct managers have been supportive and provided a wonderful learning experience with individual and group supervisions.
My co worker are top notch clinicians/psychiatrists and are easy to work with and consult with when needed.
The hardest part of the job is hearing some of the stories of the youth and family's struggles and what has brought them to EMQ. Some of the stories are heartbreaking, but also inspirational due to the resilience and strengths these families bring.
I've had such a great connection with these youth and families over the years, even when their stories are heartbreaking, because in this work I have also learned a lot about myself and the experience has resulted in a lot of personal growth.
Pros
Nice and flexible work environment with professional, knowledable people
Cons
Lots of paper work and clients who have endured adversity, mental health problems, abuse and neglect.
Layoffs and Closure
Billing Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMay 21, 2014
The hardest part of the job was seeing the layoffs and closure of the facility.
Pros
The mission in helping families and children
Cons
Job Culture and Poor Management
Community based company
Insurande Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San BernardinoJanuary 28, 2014
This is a nice place to work. No micro-managing. Nice staff, friendly environment.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Worked here as a volunteer.
Volunteer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CADecember 16, 2013
Learned how to work with youth.
Turned in certain forms.
Having fingerprint scanned.
No consistency
Family Partner and Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAAugust 26, 2013
Not much help from supervisors. Lots of back stabbing to try and move up.
A great place to work
Family Partner I (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 17, 2013
I enjoyed working for EMQ FamiliesFirst due to the passion they have that inclined with the passion I have working with Families in providing services to give hope and moving Families forward to a better future.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Laying off the wrong people
Great people to work with.
Supervisor Administrative Operations (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 11, 2013
Under my department i had three offices Sacramento, Stockton and Nevada City and supervised 7 staff members. I am in charge of daily administrative operations for all three offices, purchasing, PPO, and alsoo helped as an IT liaison.
Disorganized Circus
Mental Health Professional  (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 22, 2013
My experience proved this place to be very unprofessional. He said/she said runs the protocols and procedures. Information is communicated, then recanted, then rearranged and re-communicated. There are the infamous "untouchables" who are safe from write ups/termination because they are on the inside. Then there are the grossly incompetent who seem to fly under the accountability radar...for years. Productivity is the first priority and will be force fed to you until you have nightmares of billable time. Management is severely unbalanced. There are the laid back managers who just want to collect a paycheck and then there are the micromanagers who will nit pick every single thing that you do and make your life a living hell. Neither type of manager will be held accountable for their actions. There are no opportunities for growth within the company and raises are null and void. After 5 years of employment, you get a paper certificate. After 10 years, you get 100 bucks (that's taxed). Acknowledgements are few and far between so hopefully you can learn the art of self back patting. The only positives here are the flexibility and the benefits. At some point, that's just not enough.
Pros
benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
poor pay, poor management, unrealistic expectations, no accountability, disorganized and pathetic.
Great family culture
Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 1, 2013
Good work life balance, a great place to develop your skill as an HR professional.

- Good foundation and background in labor law/benefits and ER needed.
Work hard and learn a ton!
Milieu Activity Therapist (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAMay 11, 2012
EMQ Families First is an excellent place to start one's career in Social Work. You will get hands on training working with interdisciplinary teams involving community partners. The company culture is awesome. The hardest part of the job is that they do "whatever it takes" and sometimes that means it takes over your life. But as an entry level position for a young person with tons of energy, go for it! Your experience at EMQ will help you along your career path for years to come.