EMS Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

productive and interesting place to work and learn from.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, NHFebruary 26, 2016
Enjoyed working at Eastern Mountain Sports. Learned valuable outdoor survival skills with many helpful co-workers and also training in a warehouse environment.
Pros
Daily free coffee, on Fridays only free bagels & donuts. Employee semi annual 50% discount sales. Excellent benefits.
Productive, Cultured, and a Great work experience
WELDERS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 22, 2015
From sun up to sun down. A job that is not meant for new job seekers but if you manage to stick it out, the pay and the benefits are well worth the sweat.
Pros
you learn so much in all the fields that pertain to this sort of work
Cons
away from family most of the time
Poor Management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NebraskaJune 19, 2016
No communication with management, they ignore any requests.
Long stressful 9 hours days and 4 hours on Friday but they don't have enough work to keep a part-time person busy but insists you seek out people to help.
Poor training and expect you to do it all, 1st week of training!
No balance between work & home because of hours there is no taking time off because you can't make it up within the week, but god forbid you ask for an hour off early!
Managers have no idea what employees are doing & if you ask them to explain something to you, No time for training is what you are told.
Worst company to work for, don't walk... RUN away from this company!
Pros
Free coffee, Ice Machine
Cons
No Health care, short breaks if any
Productive, busy seasonal positions
Customer Services/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, NHFebruary 18, 2016
Very busy seasonal position. Gained a great deal of knowledge about the outdoor gear and product industry. Management more than willing to help in many ways with problem orders, finding products suitable for customer needs. Co-workers always willing to jump in and help. Hardest part of the job is falling behind with problem issues while taking on calls and orders via email. I enjoyed leaving each shift knowing I completed all aspects of my job and left nothing undone.
Pros
Product Discounts
Cons
The Hours could be difficult, late night and or weekends
Terrible place to work for. Especially in Indianapolis.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
I thought I'd have a great experience but it turned into a nightmare. Don't ever work for this company unless it is the last company on Earth to work for. Even then I'd be broke before I ever worked for them again. After a month of poor management sore body and rude people I left. The school was great. The staff and students were very nice.
Warehouse
Mailing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Palos Hills, ILFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day at work. I come in my supervisor assign me to my machine and with a coworker one of us will feed the mail into the machine and one of us sort threw the mail as it come out the machine every two hours we have a break at which we switch. The management team is ok I have no problems. The job is pretty much easy.
Amazing
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 19, 2016
One of the best places I have had the pleasure of working at! The management team was always willing to help and always had the best interest of their employees in mind!
good place to work depends on where they send you
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 6, 2016
few verbal communication with your immediate supervisor.
have to enter your hours of work personally
no direct deposit for employees
great
Vocational Trainee (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 3, 2016
was a great place to work. the workers were always very professional
and friendly. They were always willing to be helpful to anyone that needed extra help
Fun workplace with weekly fruits and pastries.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 2, 2015
A fun place to work. Approachable management and sociable co-workers. Flexible schedules a plus. Compensation/Benefits below par.
Pros
Mid-day scheduling allows for great commutes.
Cons
No vision coverage.
ems
Technical Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 18, 2016
Its is a great place to start your It process so you can have experience hour are flexible management is very nice good benefits also..
Passion for outdoors but no employee loyalty
Store Guide (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTNovember 24, 2012
If you are pasionate about the outdoors and enjoy sharing that pasion with other people EMS is a great part-time job, however if you need a more of a full-time or carrer oriented job EMS is not the place for you. Their discount is excellent but they only offer benefits to full-time employees which only includes management. They are willing to cut employee hours including the day of. If you are not depending on them for an income and you enjoy sharing your pasion for the outdoors with others it is a good place to work.
Pros
good dsicount
Cons
they don't look after their employees
unprofessional
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 6, 2016
Possibly cause its an outsourcing center I felt it was unprofessional. It is a very relaxed work environment, however.
its a fun place to work
Vocational Trainee (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 7, 2016
a typical day at work is to train on interview questions. train to update resume's.train on how to fill out applications.
Next best thing to Camping 24/7
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAMarch 24, 2016
I love working at Ems. The staff at every store i have worked at have been great and getting to work in the out door industry is amazing
Learned A Lot
Third Shift Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GANovember 6, 2015
It was a very interesting work experience and gained much respect for supervisors and employees all at the same time. I had to work hard to prove myself and all ways gave it my all to the company and my employees.
Pros
Provided gas for superviosrs
Cons
Only one to answer their phone even after shift was over
ok place to work
Hosekeeper (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 9, 2016
regularly day on any job. puts a lot on you due to the fact nobody stays working there long enough. to many people come and go and takes long to hire people in place but other than that its a ok job
Great Job
Sales Representative / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2016
The company cares about the client, and it's ability to match the client with an employer that will take care of the client.
Better than most retail
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 13, 2015
Eastern Mountain Sports is a knowledgeable outdoor retailer with a credible and friendly approach. Like most retail, the entry level associates spend most of their time helping customers, stocking the sales floor and cleaning. Also like most retail, the quality of your managers can be a roll of the dice. I was lucky to have had fantastic store and regional managers. The people you work with day-to-day are awesome people who are passionate about the outdoors and support each other.

While the lower-levels of the company are knowledgeable and dedicated, the top management come from other retail backgrounds and may not fully understand the outdoor world. Their purchasing choices show a bit of a tin ear and a lack of communication (or perhaps thoroughness) causes errors that fall to the individual store to figure out how to fix. So store-level management is often faced with a corporate structure that gives incomplete, contradictory or flat-out incorrect information. Support for store management is weak, so you'd better be ready to put in the extra time and homework to solve the riddles of task completion.

There is always some degree of tension between stores and corporate in retail, so no surprises there. In short, EMS is a great place to work as a low-level associate but if you are looking for a management position or to move up into a career then be prepared to deal with a somewhat juvenile and dysfunctional corporate culture. At least the people you're next to in the store are great.
Pros
Great people on the Store level
Cons
Corporate culture
Values placed on work and play
Guide (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 4, 2013
Friendly co-workers, flexible schedule, great benefits for permanent hire employees, awesome employee discounts and pro deals. Every hour the shift responsibilities change to keep it interesting (register, apparel, footwear, etc.). Wide range of customers, some going on adventures and looking for the best gear and a story, others just dont want any interaction.
Pros
paid time off for permanent employees
Cons
occasional grumpy customer