Emulex

Emulex Employer Reviews

It's a great place to work; otherwise, I will not travel 50 miles to work everyday.
Engineer (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAApril 1, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: health care has been going down the hill; and 401k plans are no good; losing to s&p500 every year.
Good technical exposure
Intern, ASIC Team (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 2, 2014
Perfect place to start my my technical career. Good work and an excellent learning experience.
Fun place to work at.
Intern (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 20, 2014
Extremely friendly environment. Fun colleagues to work with.
Decent place to work with ability to become a jack-of-all trades
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee), Bolton, MAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: ability to grow your knowledge in many different areas
Cons: many weeks are much more than 40 hour weeks.
Working at Emulex was quite educational. I was able to dabble in all sorts of different things from software development, to automation, to lab/system configurations. I was always busy and the people at the Bolton location were all very pleasant. If the building in Bolton wasn't closing I wouldn't have any desire to leave.
productive and fun work environment
Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CADecember 16, 2013
Pros: free coffer and tea
Cons: unstable company
Engineers are smart and talent.
Salary is ok but the benefit is not competitive.
currently a challenging company to work for
IT team member (Current Employee), Costa Mesa, CADecember 16, 2013
Pros: many good people, good pay
Cons: uncertainty
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers. There are
lots of good technical skills to learn, and projects to work on, but
not a lot of time to do either right now, as the company is under
a transition (layoffs, restructuring, upper mgmt changes) and there
is currently an atmosphere of cost-cutting mentality and all of the uncertainty from – more... the above listed transition. – less
Pretty good place for developers
Principal Applications Engineer (Former Employee), Bothell, WASeptember 28, 2013
Product-wise I think they have lost their way. People rarely advance... though I never worked in the corporate HQ so it may be different there... this is a real 'run-of-the-mill' sort of high-tech place with lots of cubicles and the executive staff is always politically correct (they have training classes for this)... beware there is a standard for – more... what kind of chair you get based on your position and more silly things like that... it's a paycheck, but little to inspire you. – less
Friendly coworkers
Contractor - EVT QA Tester (Former Employee), san jose, caSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: nice environment
Cons: resources
As a contractor I found the environment friendly and people were knowledgeable. Th hard part was working with limited resources and there were always emergencies that were acted on at the last minute.
Worst job I ever had
Credit & Collections Analyst (Former Employee), Costa MesaSeptember 7, 2013
Pros: free bagels on fridays
Cons: sexual harrassment going unchecked
A typical day at Emulex starts with being told what you did wrong the previous day, even if you were following strict protocol. I learned very quickly that my two "superiors" were never going to embrace anyone else coming into their department, their world, and actually *thinking* as opposed to being an automaton.

Most of my other co-workers were ok, – more... but everyone is really in their own world, and no one talks to anyone outside their own department, even if they sit right next to one another.

The hardest part of the job was listening to my bosses talk about their sexual exploits and seeing the one expose her giant chest to the world. When I complained about the sexual conversations that I was made to be a part of (this was during meetings, even), I was told that I should just try to be part of the group and after that, I was treated even worse by the two of them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the day I left. – less
Interesting work but currently an unstable place to work
Principal ASIC Design (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAJuly 23, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: short schedules
I enjoyed my work experience at Emulex. The company has changed a lot recently after acquiring multiple companies in a short period of time. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job recently has been the changes in management and the new culture.
awesome job, creative & open marketing team
Creative Director/Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 15, 2013
loved my job and team. global marketing responsibilities and partner activities made each day unique. created sales campaigns, programs, assets that integrated company messaging, sales needs (why this product/why you guys) and partner point-of-view.

team oriented, awesome & creative folks in product marketing, web & collateral groups. lot of leeway – more... to create what was necessary for your partner.

worked with key (dell) teams and associated partners to create end-to-end solutions resulting in solution briefs, webcasts, blogs, reference architectures and presentations.

created unique awareness activities (flashmob, call me maybe video) to raise awareness. integrated call2action to turn fun into functional. – less
Great place to work.
Superior Tech. Resources contract (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAOctober 8, 2012
Pros: i learned more about blade servers, switches and hba's
Cons: information to provide solutions to signal integrity issues was not avaliable.
I was given considerable freedom to enhance productivity with
the tasks at hand. Was allowed to use my programming skills to do the tasks.
Exceptional and highly skilled employees
SENIOR SYSTEM TEST TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Bothell, WASeptember 28, 2012
Company hired new Human Resource Manager who came in and shook up the Washington State location by laying off 50 people. 90% of these layoffs were individuals over 45 years old.
Very political and personality oriented, with poor communications, especially from some in middle management, and with lots of game playing
Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee), Bolton, MASeptember 11, 2012
Pros: pay and benefits not dficient
Cons: politics thick, communications poor, and there are pet employees
Very political, with favorites, game playing, especially from senior individual contributers. This was the Bolton, MA location.

For instance, my chair was hard and my arm would become numb after a time, so I tried to find a better char (they were all different). A peer told me about one that wasn't being used. I brought it to my cube and started using – more... it. Several weeks later I came in one day and it had disappeared. Turns out it was a lab manager's chair and he had found it a taken it back (with no note). (I think that the person who pointed out the chair originally knew full well whose chair it was).

One particular manager set a deadline for completion of new software 10 or 12 weeks in the future, then, with 3 weeks to go he shortened the deadline to one week.

One of the major customers (Oracle) was dropped in the middle of a year long project just for them because it was concluded that the profit from the project would not be great enough (Oracle had been an enthusiastic customer and happy with the progress to date). – less
Sustaining Engineering involving Firmware/Hardware.
Sr. Electronic Sustaining Engineer (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAMay 29, 2012
Hardware/Firmware design support for 68000-based SCSI Mass Storage Controller. PAL and PLD design.
Great, solid company.
Sr. Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee), Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 29, 2012
Pros: fun quarterly and holiday gatherings
Cons: company chose to send business overseas
I worked for Emulex for over 26 years.. they are a fine company. I enjoyed wonderful friendships with both internal and external customers.
Amazing employer to work with
Engineer (Current Employee), BengaluruNovember 16, 2013
Pros: work life balance
Cons: none.
Work life balance is excellent. Employee friendly, technology and innovation oriented company.
Productive, innovative and up to date technology, freedom and good work culture
Engineering Manager (Current Employee), Bangalore, KA, IndiaDecember 25, 2012
Pros: whole qa responsibility is given to me, new technology and broader test coverage, freedom for thoughts
Cons: long hours, long night calls.
Effectively lead the testing team. Defining and implementing the role testing plays within the organizational structure. Defining the scope of testing within the context of each release or delivery. Deploying and managing the appropriate testing framework, test lab to meet the testing mandate. Implementing and evolving appropriate measurements and metrics. – more... Planning, deploying and managing the testing effort for any given engagement/release.
Managing and growing Testing assets required for meeting the testing mandate: Team members, Testing tools, hardware and software and Testing process. Retaining skilled testing personnel. Responsible for Functional, system level and Acceptance testing.
In charge of product support for end customers and answering customer questions, addressing customer issues. It is always challenging to work with the current release and tackling customer issues simultaneously. – less