Senior Systems Administrator
The company has a very casual and great culture. They house an indoor gym with accessible classes and showers, state of the art kitchen on site and promote a 37.5 hour work weeks along with many other perks! They are very focused on “work-life” balance. This is the type of company that you will want to grow with long term. The position is permanent or contract, whatever you prefer at this time. Salary is $80K with extensive benefits as a direct hire.
The Senior Systems Administrator will design, install, configure, and administer server hardware, server software, networked switches, hypervisor environment, data storage systems, and fiber network. This includes optimizing and fine tuning operating systems and components to achieve high availability and performance. The SrSA will administer the VOIP telephone system. The SrSA must possess competent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, must be self-motivated and self-directed, must be able to work with minimal supervision, and have a keen attention to detail. The SrSA must be able to lead projects and provide direction to junior staff.
Server 2012 deploy, SQL 2012 deploy, VMware 5.1, network refresh including an excellent chance moving to Cisco UCS, deploying F5 load balancer, rebuilding our warehouse application, getting ready for VDI, deploying TrendMicro Deep Security, DR project, server refresh going from 2003 to 2008r2 or 2012, among many other projects, working with a lot of consultants and contractors to fill in knowledge gaps or time/space constraints.
As you can see, there are a lot of initiatives rolling out and not enough people to take on these projects. They are not short of is status quo, so someone is needed who can work in a fast-paced, top to bottom changing environment. Next years refresh includes IDF refresh, phone system refresh, and SAN refresh.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
These are functions that a person must be able to perform in the job, either unaided or with the assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”. The essential function should be related to the overall job purpose, done with great frequency, cause severe consequences if omitted and cause difficulty if reassigned. The job would be fundamentally altered if the essential duty was removed.
- Assure business requirements are met for new or upgraded applications by determining system specifications by using accepted analysis techniques and procedures.
- Researches and recommends new systems and applications to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance of IT environment.
- Collaborates with network administrators, business analysts, developers, and database administration teams to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of systems to meet corporate objectives.
- Loads and configures specified software packages such as operating systems and applications on servers. Tests and observes system functions to verify correct system operations.
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex hardware and software problems on enterprise servers and storage devices.
- Ensures infrastructure hardware and software comply with established policies, standards, licensing agreements, and configuration guidelines.
- Performs file system management using established methodology and standard practices.
- Possess ability to size, create, reconfigure, and deploy server virtualization technology.
- Reviews and deploys service packs, hot fixes, system updates, and vendor-supplied patches according to best practices for server and system environments.
- Provides administrative support for system backup software. Assures data is backed up and validates recovery procedures to assure company and regulatory requirements are met.
- Provides administrative support for VOIP telephone system. Assures database is backed up and validates recovery procedures to assure company requirements are met.
- Provides 24-hour on-call coverage on a rotation basis.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The nonessential or marginal functions that are desirable, but not necessary, aspects of the job.
- Leads, manages and/or participates in special projects.
- Develops and maintains systems training materials and systems documentation for educating new IT staff.
- Conducts software/hardware evaluations for new and replacement technology.
- Mentors and provides guidance to junior members of the team.
- Enforces Change Control procedures to insure minimal production impact.
- Assures Data Center is clean and clear of obstructions.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field; or 6 or more years related experience and/or training.
- A minimum of 6 years hands-on experience installing, configuring and maintaining the following technologies:
o Windows server. Versions in use 2003, 2008
o SAN or NAS technology, NetApp 8.1+ preferred
o Brocade Fiber Channel experience in zoning
o Hypervisor technology, VMware preferred using v5.1
- Four or more years’ experience with installing Microsoft .NET framework, Microsoft IIS, and Microsoft SQL Server, versions in use 2008, 2012.
- Four or more years’ experience with Active Directory and Group Policy.
- Four or more years’ experience with DNS and TCP/IP networking.
- Four or more years’ experience using backup management software. NetBackup 7 & Veeam 6.5 in use
- Familiarity with load balance appliances, F5 preferred.
- Use of system monitoring and alerting. Using Nagios XI, VOPs, and native tools in VMware
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of popular Windows PC software programs including and not limited to Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and Internet Explorer.
- Linux or Unix command line experience helpful.
Other applicable training or experience may substitute for the educational requirement.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
VMware VCP and/or MCSE certification preferred.
- Communication skills that allow interaction both internally and externally in a professional manner, both verbal and written.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively communicate on the telephone.
- Possess sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Ability to demonstrate sound analysis and diagnostics skills.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks in connection with department goals.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
The following physical demands are required on a regular basis.
- Sit or stand for long periods.
- Stoop to floor level and/or crawl under desks.
- Reach overhead with or without equipment.
- Requires hands and fingers dexterity to operate computer components such as a keyboard or mouse.
- Ability to lift and transport moderately heavy objects such as computers and peripherals up to 50 lbs.
- Possess ability to see with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) and with distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more).
- Possess sufficient peripheral vision to have the ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point.
- Possess sufficient depth perception (three-dimensional vision) to have the ability to judge distances and spatial relationships.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Ability to read small numbers and/or words in low light.
- Ability to talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Most functions of this position are completed while sitting at ones desk and working on a computer.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Most functions of this position are completed while sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Reasonable regular, predictable attendance is essential.
Availability for occasional evening and weekend work.
Occasional travel to remote users and/or satellite offices may be required.
Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Ability to handle confidential information.
Indeed - 13 months ago
You need the right employee for the job. Your evolving vision and project scope requires technical expertise. Your timeline and milestones...