Encore Capital Group

Encore Capital Group Employee Reviews

Fun office
Legal Specialist (Current Employee), Warren, MIMay 31, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
Most of time was spent on a computer, and entering data. There was not much hands on work in regards to cases.The overall culture of the office was fun and laid back.
Good coworkers, lots of Happy Hours, bad company to work for
Legal Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free coffee/water and occasional free lunch
Cons: management, employee turnover, compensation, mundane work
I worked for Encore - Aero Drive location for just under a year. From the start I could see that the majority of the employees were young (minus upper management) and everyone had a very "laid back" attitude. It's supposed to be business casual but I seemed to be the only one dressed nice the entire time I worked there. People formed their own little cliques and the environment seemed very high schoolish. Group managers were not professional at all, little to no training was offered (everyone is kind of just thrown into their work), turnover is HIGH (people were always quitting and new temps were starting all the time). I constantly heard people complaining about their pay. Raises and promotions were very rare. There is absolutely no growth at this company which is why so many people, even people in higher positions, moved on to bigger and better things. I lost count of how many people quit while I was working there and everyone always talked about how they were searching for new jobs and how they couldn't wait to leave Encore. The friendships that I made while working at Encore I'll always remember. The happy hours after work were always a blast. There's not much more I can say about working at Encore other than walking out on my last day felt AMAZING!! :)
Excellent organization to work for
Compliance Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2015
A lot of highly intelligent, professional and courteous people. I've built many strong relationships, gained excellent experience and I've had the opportunity to work with people that truly want to make positive changes in the organization.
Could have been a great company
IT person (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: free coffee/water
Cons: too many to list here
Encore has changed a lot over the past few years. The success of the company has inevitably put more focus on making money than taking care of the people in terms of helping them grow and succeed. IT specifically is seen as "second class citizens", always blamed when things don't work right, but never given the support to solve the problems the right way (e.g. replace outdated technology). All IT staff is expected to be on call 24x7. If you don't pick up a call then you are reprimanded for it.

Management only cares about making quick decisions instead of thinking through options first. I enjoyed the first few months of working at Encore but most of the good people/leaders have left so there is really nothing that sets this place apart from any other multi-billion dollar corporation.

If you want to work at a place where your opinions matter, where your growth is important, look elsewhere.
Work environment is very positive
Legal Assistant (Current Employee), Warren, MIJanuary 17, 2015
Happy to go to work my typical day is on the computer working on legal documents, updating information. My co-workers are positive people that are fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is when I run out of work. The most enjoyable part of my job when I learning new project.
Temp
DCA Support Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2015
Was a temp. Managers were excellent, but the work was grueling.
Temp Employee
Checks Processor (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 3, 2014
My job is pretty repetitive and the atmosphere is a little "immature-ish" for me. Working for so long in an office setting I am used to professional guidelines and in my department there really is none. Overall if you need a job to make money I recommend it, but not one to further a career.
Poor training and no guidance
File Clerk (Former Employee), St. Cloud, MNAugust 25, 2014
Cons: terrible orientation, no guidance
This job provided me with almost no training or orientation. They made me go through a temp agency via online located in California after the interview. The job was only temporary, but in the short time I was there the manager provided zero guidance. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to be doing as a file clerk. I was laid off after the first week.
A growing company looking to be consumer friendly
Legal Specialist (Current Employee), Warren, MIAugust 5, 2014
Pros: fun, off sight events, casual work environment, nice co-workers
Cons: healthcare coverage, lacking communication between departments
A typical day for my position would include reviewing the attorney calendar to determine which hearings we needed to attend, or dismiss, reviewing files for litigation, reviewing files for service and dismissals, preparing suits for court, preparing instructions for attorneys to appear at court, gathering exhibits and other necessary documents for evidence, reviewing statuses of cases at court, calling courts on occasion, reviewing tentative rulings, reviewing files for bankruptcy, updating files, preparing notices.

The hardest part of my job is a lack of communication between departments. It makes for a lot of wasted time, having to redo tasks that had already been done.
Adequate Employment Opportunity
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Mission Valley, San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2014
Pros: stable, friendly co-workers and social environment
Cons: low chance of promotion, monthly deadlines, questionable ethics
Not a bad place to work, but not a great one either. The pay is slightly below average for the job titles, and promotions are rare (I've only seen one in any department after working here for a year). The company is large, but small teams make it feel more personal. Work can be mundane, and month-end pushes tend to be stress-inducing.

There is a strong push from management to be creative and boost revenue, but a lack of incentives, high pay, promotion opportunities, and moral high-ground make the pushes relatively useless in terms of actually producing productivity.

Hours are not very intense, but they are very rigid. It's hard to get time off on short notice, and shifting your daily schedule by an hour (eg: 8-4 instead of 9-5) necessitates a talk with a manager. Salaried positions are treated like hourly with no overtime. You must be in the office 8 hrs/day or 40 hrs/week, even if you have nothing to do. In addition, you aren't paid extra for working overtime (not even with a year-end bonus for hard work).

Co-workers are a lot of fun, and the culture is good, but it is not an innovative company, nor is it an interesting or inspiring industry - it's debt collection; know what you're getting into.
Job is mundane and the work culture is unprofessional. Job security is good, as staff turnover is high.
Legal Specialist (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNJuly 15, 2014
Pros: regular pot lucks
Cons: free coffee was disgusting
Encore has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. The work culture used to be fun, flexible and relaxed. Now there are lots of rules and regulations. This is not a professional office, and you are treated like children for the most part.

The company expects you to have a college education, but the hourly wage is not reflective of this.

There is almost always mandatory overtime, averaging at around 15 hours per month. And when there are incentives to work more hours, they are pretty nondescript. The overtime does boost your income, but it also interferes heavily with your free time.

The work is very mundane, and requires a high level of concentration throughout the day. As a Legal Specialist, you are signing affidavits that can end up in the hands of defendants, so you are subjected to a certain level of risk. Many Legal Specialists have been mentioned in blogs on the internet (myself included), and some have even been served with a summons at home.

The company offers 15 days vacation, however, there are no sick days offered, so vacation days will be used for any periods of sickness. There's also the opportunity to work back the time at the weekends if you don't want to eat into your vacation time.

The hardest part of the job was trying to keep my opinions to myself with regards to management.

The best part of the job was working alongside some great people.
Productive Environment
Legal Specialist (Current Employee), Saint Cloud, MNJune 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves working on the tasks assigned that day. It is a professional environment where we work as part of a team to complete a goal. Each team member's individual contributions combine to reach then end result.
Takeover
Training Specialist (Current Employee), TampaJune 19, 2014
They took over an scaled down the workforce to a minimal level and reduced benifits and compensation
Collectors wanted
Post-Judgment Representative (Current Employee), Brandon, FLMay 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: closing
A typical day with Encore includes multiple calls to consumers on delinquent accounts that resolve and negotiate a resolution to the accounts. This is third party collections for pre-suit accounts to active judgment accounts. Management is amazing. I have learned to not keep all my eggs in one basket. My co-workers are amazing and make coming to work more enjoyable. The hardest part about the job at this time is the realization that my particular building will be closing soon due to outsourcing to India. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free lunches on the last Friday of the month due to the news of the closing.
odd culture
administrative (Former Employee), San diego/aero driveMarch 19, 2014
Pros: compensation, fresh water available
Cons: hr will throw you under the bus if you go up against an executive.
San Diego office has an odd culture.

Benefits and compensation above average, but something about the culture and top executives turned me off, was rough to work with, and forced me out.

Not a very good on boarding/ training experience.
Deceiving, Lying, Hypocritical, Poor Family/Work Life - Worst Than Factory Work (Legal Specialist)
Legal Specialist (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 20, 2014
Cons: everything
During my interview process, I asked what the possibility of improving and growing was. I was told that the rate to grow here was high and fast pace. After a year of sitting at a computer, looking at my computer screen and pieces of paper non stop, and consistently asking for new challenges, I kept getting denied.

They tell you it's not about how many affidavits you do, it's about how well you do them. This is an absolute lie. They could care less about you as a person. All they want is for you to help them sue people so they can make billions of dollars.

They keep changing rules without telling you. Oh yeah, you first could take a day off without any putting in a week's notice, but all of a sudden you couldn't do this anymore. They never even mentioned a change in rules. They even stated you could call in due to weather with no disciplinary action. Now, you call in because it is 60 below zero and you live 50 miles away, and you get in trouble.

This place isn't family orientated. Sure, at first it SEEMS okay and a decent place to work, but people keep quitting and soon you will too.

Roughly three to five people quit a month. This should scare you. At this rate, this business is going to crumble and there will be no job security left for you..

Work to Life balance is insanely unfair. Overtime, for the last four years (since the department had opened), has never slowed down. There hasn't been a single month of no mandatory overtime. Be aware, your life will soon get hectic, stressful, and family problems will occur. Encore doesn't care about that. All they care about is the – more... numbers and how many people they can sue so that they can get more money.

Want a raise? Too bad. After working here for more than year, I got the same hourly rate and if I got lucky, after a year and half, I may get 0.01% to 0.03%.

Want to get promoted? Act stupid. Yep! They only promote individuals with special needs (not literally). You'll see. You have a college degree? There's individuals there without college education that are getting paid more than you. You'll laugh once you see how many people there are getting paid more than you for goofing off and acting stupid.

Like to stay in shape? With the poor work/life balance, you're going to gain weight because you won't have time to go to the gym and workout.

You're also going to need glasses because starring at the computer screen all day, everyday, is going to strain your eyes.

Encore used to be fun, according to some, but now due to it buying out large companies (and trying to grow), they are stopping the "fun" it used to be and turning it into a prison.

They try to make you work more by feeding you junk food. Sure, food is nice, but I'd rather see the money.

Don't say I didn't tell you so. – less
Decent place to work if compensation were better
Legal Specialist - Discovery Response (Current Employee), Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: great people, fun activities
Cons: benefits, compensation, no advancement
The work isn't that difficult, but depending on the position can take brain power. Not much room for advancement. If you are given more, it isn't rewarded with a raise. Everything is a lateral move.
good place to work
Specialist- Human Resource (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2013
Good management, nice experience working at Encore.The company takes good care of its employees.
As a collector you must be organized, analytical, flexible and posses excellent written and oral communication skills.
Account Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: my supervisors look at the bottom line and acknowledge my overall contributions to the company.
Cons: i did not have sufficient time with the company for a leave due to the first death in the family.
As Collection Representative one must be persistent and professional while being courteous and understanding in dealing with customers, they will also need to be assertive from time to time. While I did learn about the laws of other states I did get the opportunity to learn more about Arizona State. While the liassez faire management style was profound I did understand the need. While working as a collector the co-workers were all private about their collection techniques not wanting to help others with the collections but great when being social. I did however like the compensation of base pay plus uncapped bonus.
Great professional place to work
Consumer Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: free lunches often, holiday parties, nice people.
Cons: alot of employees present in a small work space was often distracting
A typical day consisted of me sitting at a desk that had two computer monitors. On one screen was the GUI computer system we used to process accounts and on the other monitor was a written consumer correspondence. My duties were to analyze the correspondence and update and process the account. I learned very much about the processes and regulations involved with credit reporting agencies and balancing and managing FICO scores. I am much more informed about the similarities and differences among laws throughout various US states pertaining to these issues. The management and all co-workers at this assignment were great. This group of people are basically a family. The hardest part of the job was remembering the key similarities and differences among the US states when it comes to regulations related to consumer response. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I established with the staff during my experience. I made many new friends who I still speak with now that the temporary assignment is complete. I really enjoyed the my hours of employment, which were Monday- Friday 7:00am-3:30pm.

About Encore Capital Group

Credit junkies, beware: Encore Capital Group has your number.┬áThe firm and its Midland Credit Management subsidiary purchase at – Read more