Encore Capital Group Employee Reviews in United States

Steer clear of this place!!!
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIApril 22, 2016
This place is a joke. Overworked and under paid. Management is completely ridiculous and decisions are constantly made without keeping the staff informed of the changes. Nothing you do is never enough. No room for growth at all! The amount of people that leave each month is nearly uncountable at this point. There are even temps that will tell you they don't want a full time position here because of the stuff that goes on. Everyone is miserable and it just keeps getting worse. If you call in sick, you get an occurrence and two more of those in a 30 day period, its a write up. So if someone in your life happens to pass and you didnt give a two week notice of your time off, too bad. Occurrences it is for you. They do not care about how stressed and overwhelemed you are, they will keep pushing mandatory overtime on you. You as a person, do not matter to this place.

Bottom line: STEER CLEAR OF WORKING HERE!!! Your sanity is worth much more than what this place will pay you for.
Worst chaos driven company I've ever worked for period.
hr manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Expect to work with the most useless and uneducated people. There are times you have to read your already sent emails to people to get a response, otherwise they don't have the ability to respond. Management puts you out to deal with items on your own with little to no training. HR is a joke. HR is a joke. HR is a joke (this needs to be repeated). HR is the most incompetent group in the entire organization. Other departments need to perform HR functions because HR will otherwise not perform the tasks correctly, instead of simply firing those incompetent individuals and replacing them with individuals that can perform the required functions. Hardest part is coming to work everyday for a company that you don't believe in, doesn't value you, doesn't pay you anywhere what you near deserve, yet expects you to perform at 200%. 3-4 of your coworkers will leave, you will be asked to perform their functions and take on more work, with no pay increase or promotion.
Job security but no advancement
employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
This company is great for work life balance and security, but no advancement or career growth. They don't care about coaching and career path. Low salaries.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
No advancement, upper management is not nice to work directly for
Friendly work environment
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 24, 2015
All Co-workers have respect, dignity, and value. The amount of unrelenting drive is something to behold. This is a good company to work for.
Pros
Cons
No advancement opportunities.
Not a company you want to work for.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2015
Most managers use intimidation and fear to get things done. It's all about the bottom line. No empathy for people - employees or customers.
Pros
Nice buidling
Cons
Benefits, work-life balance
Bonuses are good.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2015
In order to do this line of work, you have to have patience and excellent customer service skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I worked with. You get a lot of irate people calling but it's your job to stay calm and work with the consumer.
Pros
Bonuses
Analyst, Benefits (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
I would prefer not to provide commentary at this time, perhaps I can provide it once a new position is found. Once I find myself in a new position then I will gladly provide more feedback.
Excellent organization to work for
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2015
A lot of highly intelligent, professional and courteous people. I've built many strong relationships, gained excellent experience and I've had the opportunity to work with people that truly want to make positive changes in the organization.
Could have been a great company
IT person (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Encore has changed a lot over the past few years. The success of the company has inevitably put more focus on making money than taking care of the people in terms of helping them grow and succeed. IT specifically is seen as "second class citizens", always blamed when things don't work right, but never given the support to solve the problems the right way (e.g. replace outdated technology). All IT staff is expected to be on call 24x7. If you don't pick up a call then you are reprimanded for it.

Management only cares about making quick decisions instead of thinking through options first. I enjoyed the first few months of working at Encore but most of the good people/leaders have left so there is really nothing that sets this place apart from any other multi-billion dollar corporation.

If you want to work at a place where your opinions matter, where your growth is important, look elsewhere.
Pros
free coffee/water
Cons
too many to list here
Fun office
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 31, 2015
Most of time was spent on a computer, and entering data. There was not much hands on work in regards to cases.The overall culture of the office was fun and laid back.
Cons

Want to know more about Encore Capital Group?

Ask a question
Work environment is very positive
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJanuary 17, 2015
Happy to go to work my typical day is on the computer working on legal documents, updating information. My co-workers are positive people that are fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is when I run out of work. The most enjoyable part of my job when I learning new project.
Poor training and no guidance
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNAugust 25, 2014
This job provided me with almost no training or orientation. They made me go through a temp agency via online located in California after the interview. The job was only temporary, but in the short time I was there the manager provided zero guidance. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to be doing as a file clerk. I was laid off after the first week.
Cons
terrible orientation, no guidance
Collectors wanted
Post-Judgment Representative (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 7, 2014
A typical day with Encore includes multiple calls to consumers on delinquent accounts that resolve and negotiate a resolution to the accounts. This is third party collections for pre-suit accounts to active judgment accounts. Management is amazing. I have learned to not keep all my eggs in one basket. My co-workers are amazing and make coming to work more enjoyable. The hardest part about the job at this time is the realization that my particular building will be closing soon due to outsourcing to India. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free lunches on the last Friday of the month due to the news of the closing.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
closing
Incompetent management and high employee turn over.
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNJuly 10, 2016
This was the most unprofessional place I've ever worked. The management used to be decent, but since expanding has become very immature, unfocused, and unprofessional.They play favorites. And have become "friends" with some of the employees. Which puts everyone else at a serious disadvantage. If having a bimbo valley girl for a boss doesn't bother you, you're in luck! Some managers also have a habit of loudly coaching employees out loud, in public, in front of others. They hired people for management who lack any time of leadership or management skills whatsoever. You aren't allowed to be on your phone, but the managers are on their phones using social media 24/7. You aren't allowed to use your work computer for personal things, but the managers use their work computers for social media and ordering lunch.

They have promoted a few decent people, but they mostly promote condescending, rude people. With no skills whatsoever except backstabbing and condescending to others.

Some people are allowed to chase each other around with paper carts, push each other around in chairs and squeal and chase each other. But then some people get lectured about going to the bathroom too many times and taking too long of breaks. You get scolded for taking too long of breaks, but they routinely expect you to put in 15+ hours of over time a month. But the managers are constantly late and leave early.

They have an incredibly high turn over rate. 10 people quit during the time I worked there (almost a year and a half). They have resorted to hiring children (18 year olds who are fresh out
  more... of highschool) to fill their open spots. They also routinely make stupid decisions that add more work to your plate. They are clueless as to how to do your job, but have no problem telling you that you don't do enough and need to be better.

A typical day is spent staring at a computer screen. Some people are allowed to chat and mess around all day, others get yelled at.

90% of the work is done by 10% of the workers. Hiring several children has made the place almost unbearable for the adults there who are actually there to work.

Management does nothing. They let ridiculous and unprofessional behaviors go. But they can't really say anything. They are guilty of wasting time, chatting non stop like teenagers, and being late every day

They recently raised the pay for Legal Specialists, but not anyone else at the site, which was pretty unfair. They also don't pay you anymore for being there longer or having a degree and experience. I have a BA and I was making the same as an 18 year old who had just graduated highschool.

All in all, stay away. It seems fine at first. But you will quickly notice how unprofessional the management is. And how they pick on employees for minor things but don't address major issues that make the job harder. The turn over rate is ridiculous and should be the first clue that this place is awful.
Pros
Some great co workers. Nice paid time off benefits.
Cons
Management, Management, Management
A growing company looking to be consumer friendly
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 5, 2014
A typical day for my position would include reviewing the attorney calendar to determine which hearings we needed to attend, or dismiss, reviewing files for litigation, reviewing files for service and dismissals, preparing suits for court, preparing instructions for attorneys to appear at court, gathering exhibits and other necessary documents for evidence, reviewing statuses of cases at court, calling courts on occasion, reviewing tentative rulings, reviewing files for bankruptcy, updating files, preparing notices.

The hardest part of my job is a lack of communication between departments. It makes for a lot of wasted time, having to redo tasks that had already been done.
Pros
fun, off sight events, casual work environment, nice co-workers
Cons
healthcare coverage, lacking communication between departments
Temp Employee
Checks Processor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 3, 2014
My job is pretty repetitive and the atmosphere is a little "immature-ish" for me. Working for so long in an office setting I am used to professional guidelines and in my department there really is none. Overall if you need a job to make money I recommend it, but not one to further a career.
odd culture
administrative (Former Employee) –  San diego/aero driveMarch 19, 2014
San Diego office has an odd culture.

Benefits and compensation above average, but something about the culture and top executives turned me off, was rough to work with, and forced me out.

Not a very good on boarding/ training experience.
Pros
compensation, fresh water available
Cons
hr will throw you under the bus if you go up against an executive.
Decent place to work if compensation were better
Legal Specialist - Discovery Response (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 10, 2013
The work isn't that difficult, but depending on the position can take brain power. Not much room for advancement. If you are given more, it isn't rewarded with a raise. Everything is a lateral move.
Pros
great people, fun activities
Cons
benefits, compensation, no advancement
As a collector you must be organized, analytical, flexible and posses excellent written and oral communication skills.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 25, 2013
As Collection Representative one must be persistent and professional while being courteous and understanding in dealing with customers, they will also need to be assertive from time to time. While I did learn about the laws of other states I did get the opportunity to learn more about Arizona State. While the liassez faire management style was profound I did understand the need. While working as a collector the co-workers were all private about their collection techniques not wanting to help others with the collections but great when being social. I did however like the compensation of base pay plus uncapped bonus.
Pros
my supervisors look at the bottom line and acknowledge my overall contributions to the company.
Cons
i did not have sufficient time with the company for a leave due to the first death in the family.
Productive Environment
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves working on the tasks assigned that day. It is a professional environment where we work as part of a team to complete a goal. Each team member's individual contributions combine to reach then end result.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Encore Capital Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9