Encore Capital Group Employee Reviews in United States

Steer clear of this place!!!
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIApril 22, 2016
This place is a joke. Overworked and under paid. Management is completely ridiculous and decisions are constantly made without keeping the staff informed of the changes. Nothing you do is never enough. No room for growth at all! The amount of people that leave each month is nearly uncountable at this point. There are even temps that will tell you they don't want a full time position here because of the stuff that goes on. Everyone is miserable and it just keeps getting worse. If you call in sick, you get an occurrence and two more of those in a 30 day period, its a write up. So if someone in your life happens to pass and you didnt give a two week notice of your time off, too bad. Occurrences it is for you. They do not care about how stressed and overwhelemed you are, they will keep pushing mandatory overtime on you. You as a person, do not matter to this place.

Bottom line: STEER CLEAR OF WORKING HERE!!! Your sanity is worth much more than what this place will pay you for.
Worst chaos driven company I've ever worked for period.
hr manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Expect to work with the most useless and uneducated people. There are times you have to read your already sent emails to people to get a response, otherwise they don't have the ability to respond. Management puts you out to deal with items on your own with little to no training. HR is a joke. HR is a joke. HR is a joke (this needs to be repeated). HR is the most incompetent group in the entire organization. Other departments need to perform HR functions because HR will otherwise not perform the tasks correctly, instead of simply firing those incompetent individuals and replacing them with individuals that can perform the required functions. Hardest part is coming to work everyday for a company that you don't believe in, doesn't value you, doesn't pay you anywhere what you near deserve, yet expects you to perform at 200%. 3-4 of your coworkers will leave, you will be asked to perform their functions and take on more work, with no pay increase or promotion.
Job security but no advancement
employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
This company is great for work life balance and security, but no advancement or career growth. They don't care about coaching and career path. Low salaries.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
No advancement, upper management is not nice to work directly for
Friendly work environment
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 24, 2015
All Co-workers have respect, dignity, and value. The amount of unrelenting drive is something to behold. This is a good company to work for.
Pros
Cons
No advancement opportunities.
Not a company you want to work for.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2015
Most managers use intimidation and fear to get things done. It's all about the bottom line. No empathy for people - employees or customers.
Pros
Nice buidling
Cons
Benefits, work-life balance
Bonuses are good.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2015
In order to do this line of work, you have to have patience and excellent customer service skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I worked with. You get a lot of irate people calling but it's your job to stay calm and work with the consumer.
Pros
Bonuses
Analyst, Benefits (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
I would prefer not to provide commentary at this time, perhaps I can provide it once a new position is found. Once I find myself in a new position then I will gladly provide more feedback.
Fun office
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 31, 2015
Most of time was spent on a computer, and entering data. There was not much hands on work in regards to cases.The overall culture of the office was fun and laid back.
Cons
Good coworkers, lots of Happy Hours, bad company to work for
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2015
I worked for Encore - Aero Drive location for just under a year. From the start I could see that the majority of the employees were young (minus upper management) and everyone had a very "laid back" attitude. It's supposed to be business casual but I seemed to be the only one dressed nice the entire time I worked there. People formed their own little cliques and the environment seemed very high schoolish. Group managers were not professional at all, little to no training was offered (everyone is kind of just thrown into their work), turnover is HIGH (people were always quitting and new temps were starting all the time). I constantly heard people complaining about their pay. Raises and promotions were very rare. There is absolutely no growth at this company which is why so many people, even people in higher positions, moved on to bigger and better things. I lost count of how many people quit while I was working there and everyone always talked about how they were searching for new jobs and how they couldn't wait to leave Encore. The friendships that I made while working at Encore I'll always remember. The happy hours after work were always a blast. There's not much more I can say about working at Encore other than walking out on my last day felt AMAZING!! :)
Pros
free coffee/water and occasional free lunch
Cons
management, employee turnover, compensation, mundane work
Excellent organization to work for
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2015
A lot of highly intelligent, professional and courteous people. I've built many strong relationships, gained excellent experience and I've had the opportunity to work with people that truly want to make positive changes in the organization.
Could have been a great company
IT person (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Encore has changed a lot over the past few years. The success of the company has inevitably put more focus on making money than taking care of the people in terms of helping them grow and succeed. IT specifically is seen as "second class citizens", always blamed when things don't work right, but never given the support to solve the problems the right way (e.g. replace outdated technology). All IT staff is expected to be on call 24x7. If you don't pick up a call then you are reprimanded for it.

Management only cares about making quick decisions instead of thinking through options first. I enjoyed the first few months of working at Encore but most of the good people/leaders have left so there is really nothing that sets this place apart from any other multi-billion dollar corporation.

If you want to work at a place where your opinions matter, where your growth is important, look elsewhere.
Pros
free coffee/water
Cons
too many to list here
Work environment is very positive
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJanuary 17, 2015
Happy to go to work my typical day is on the computer working on legal documents, updating information. My co-workers are positive people that are fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is when I run out of work. The most enjoyable part of my job when I learning new project.
Temp
DCA Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2015
Was a temp. Managers were excellent, but the work was grueling.
Temp Employee
Checks Processor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 3, 2014
My job is pretty repetitive and the atmosphere is a little "immature-ish" for me. Working for so long in an office setting I am used to professional guidelines and in my department there really is none. Overall if you need a job to make money I recommend it, but not one to further a career.
Poor training and no guidance
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNAugust 25, 2014
This job provided me with almost no training or orientation. They made me go through a temp agency via online located in California after the interview. The job was only temporary, but in the short time I was there the manager provided zero guidance. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to be doing as a file clerk. I was laid off after the first week.
Cons
terrible orientation, no guidance
A growing company looking to be consumer friendly
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 5, 2014
A typical day for my position would include reviewing the attorney calendar to determine which hearings we needed to attend, or dismiss, reviewing files for litigation, reviewing files for service and dismissals, preparing suits for court, preparing instructions for attorneys to appear at court, gathering exhibits and other necessary documents for evidence, reviewing statuses of cases at court, calling courts on occasion, reviewing tentative rulings, reviewing files for bankruptcy, updating files, preparing notices.

The hardest part of my job is a lack of communication between departments. It makes for a lot of wasted time, having to redo tasks that had already been done.
Pros
fun, off sight events, casual work environment, nice co-workers
Cons
healthcare coverage, lacking communication between departments
Adequate Employment Opportunity
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mission Valley, San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2014
Not a bad place to work, but not a great one either. The pay is slightly below average for the job titles, and promotions are rare (I've only seen one in any department after working here for a year). The company is large, but small teams make it feel more personal. Work can be mundane, and month-end pushes tend to be stress-inducing.

There is a strong push from management to be creative and boost revenue, but a lack of incentives, high pay, promotion opportunities, and moral high-ground make the pushes relatively useless in terms of actually producing productivity.

Hours are not very intense, but they are very rigid. It's hard to get time off on short notice, and shifting your daily schedule by an hour (eg: 8-4 instead of 9-5) necessitates a talk with a manager. Salaried positions are treated like hourly with no overtime. You must be in the office 8 hrs/day or 40 hrs/week, even if you have nothing to do. In addition, you aren't paid extra for working overtime (not even with a year-end bonus for hard work).

Co-workers are a lot of fun, and the culture is good, but it is not an innovative company, nor is it an interesting or inspiring industry - it's debt collection; know what you're getting into.
Pros
stable, friendly co-workers and social environment
Cons
low chance of promotion, monthly deadlines, questionable ethics
Job is mundane and the work culture is unprofessional. Job security is good, as staff turnover is high.
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJuly 15, 2014
Encore has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. The work culture used to be fun, flexible and relaxed. Now there are lots of rules and regulations. This is not a professional office, and you are treated like children for the most part.

The company expects you to have a college education, but the hourly wage is not reflective of this.

There is almost always mandatory overtime, averaging at around 15 hours per month. And when there are incentives to work more hours, they are pretty nondescript. The overtime does boost your income, but it also interferes heavily with your free time.

The work is very mundane, and requires a high level of concentration throughout the day. As a Legal Specialist, you are signing affidavits that can end up in the hands of defendants, so you are subjected to a certain level of risk. Many Legal Specialists have been mentioned in blogs on the internet (myself included), and some have even been served with a summons at home.

The company offers 15 days vacation, however, there are no sick days offered, so vacation days will be used for any periods of sickness. There's also the opportunity to work back the time at the weekends if you don't want to eat into your vacation time.

The hardest part of the job was trying to keep my opinions to myself with regards to management.

The best part of the job was working alongside some great people.
Pros
regular pot lucks
Cons
free coffee was disgusting
Productive Environment
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJune 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves working on the tasks assigned that day. It is a professional environment where we work as part of a team to complete a goal. Each team member's individual contributions combine to reach then end result.
Takeover
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  TampaJune 19, 2014
They took over an scaled down the workforce to a minimal level and reduced benifits and compensation