Encore Capital Group Employee Reviews in United States

Worst chaos driven company I've ever worked for period.
hr manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Expect to work with the most useless and uneducated people. There are times you have to read your already sent emails to people to get a response, otherwise they don't have the ability to respond. Management puts you out to deal with items on your own with little to no training. HR is a joke. HR is a joke. HR is a joke (this needs to be repeated). HR is the most incompetent group in the entire organization. Other departments need to perform HR functions because HR will otherwise not perform the tasks correctly, instead of simply firing those incompetent individuals and replacing them with individuals that can perform the required functions. Hardest part is coming to work everyday for a company that you don't believe in, doesn't value you, doesn't pay you anywhere what you near deserve, yet expects you to perform at 200%. 3-4 of your coworkers will leave, you will be asked to perform their functions and take on more work, with no pay increase or promotion.
Job security but no advancement
employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
This company is great for work life balance and security, but no advancement or career growth. They don't care about coaching and career path. Low salaries.
Pros
Life balance
Cons
No advancement, upper management is not nice to work directly for
Steer clear of this place!!!
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIApril 22, 2016
This place is a joke. Overworked and under paid. Management is completely ridiculous and decisions are constantly made without keeping the staff informed of the changes. Nothing you do is never enough. No room for growth at all! The amount of people that leave each month is nearly uncountable at this point. There are even temps that will tell you they don't want a full time position here because of the stuff that goes on. Everyone is miserable and it just keeps getting worse. If you call in sick, you get an occurrence and two more of those in a 30 day period, its a write up. So if someone in your life happens to pass and you didnt give a two week notice of your time off, too bad. Occurrences it is for you. They do not care about how stressed and overwhelemed you are, they will keep pushing mandatory overtime on you. You as a person, do not matter to this place.

Bottom line: STEER CLEAR OF WORKING HERE!!! Your sanity is worth much more than what this place will pay you for.
Not a company you want to work for.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2015
Most managers use intimidation and fear to get things done. It's all about the bottom line. No empathy for people - employees or customers.
Pros
Nice buidling
Cons
Benefits, work-life balance
Friendly work environment
Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNSeptember 24, 2015
All Co-workers have respect, dignity, and value. The amount of unrelenting drive is something to behold. This is a good company to work for.
Pros
Cons
No advancement opportunities.
Good coworkers, lots of Happy Hours, bad company to work for
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2015
I worked for Encore - Aero Drive location for just under a year. From the start I could see that the majority of the employees were young (minus upper management) and everyone had a very "laid back" attitude. It's supposed to be business casual but I seemed to be the only one dressed nice the entire time I worked there. People formed their own little cliques and the environment seemed very high schoolish. Group managers were not professional at all, little to no training was offered (everyone is kind of just thrown into their work), turnover is HIGH (people were always quitting and new temps were starting all the time). I constantly heard people complaining about their pay. Raises and promotions were very rare. There is absolutely no growth at this company which is why so many people, even people in higher positions, moved on to bigger and better things. I lost count of how many people quit while I was working there and everyone always talked about how they were searching for new jobs and how they couldn't wait to leave Encore. The friendships that I made while working at Encore I'll always remember. The happy hours after work were always a blast. There's not much more I can say about working at Encore other than walking out on my last day felt AMAZING!! :)
Pros
free coffee/water and occasional free lunch
Cons
management, employee turnover, compensation, mundane work
As a collector you must be organized, analytical, flexible and posses excellent written and oral communication skills.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 25, 2013
As Collection Representative one must be persistent and professional while being courteous and understanding in dealing with customers, they will also need to be assertive from time to time. While I did learn about the laws of other states I did get the opportunity to learn more about Arizona State. While the liassez faire management style was profound I did understand the need. While working as a collector the co-workers were all private about their collection techniques not wanting to help others with the collections but great when being social. I did however like the compensation of base pay plus uncapped bonus.
Pros
my supervisors look at the bottom line and acknowledge my overall contributions to the company.
Cons
i did not have sufficient time with the company for a leave due to the first death in the family.
Adequate Employment Opportunity
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mission Valley, San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2014
Not a bad place to work, but not a great one either. The pay is slightly below average for the job titles, and promotions are rare (I've only seen one in any department after working here for a year). The company is large, but small teams make it feel more personal. Work can be mundane, and month-end pushes tend to be stress-inducing.

There is a strong push from management to be creative and boost revenue, but a lack of incentives, high pay, promotion opportunities, and moral high-ground make the pushes relatively useless in terms of actually producing productivity.

Hours are not very intense, but they are very rigid. It's hard to get time off on short notice, and shifting your daily schedule by an hour (eg: 8-4 instead of 9-5) necessitates a talk with a manager. Salaried positions are treated like hourly with no overtime. You must be in the office 8 hrs/day or 40 hrs/week, even if you have nothing to do. In addition, you aren't paid extra for working overtime (not even with a year-end bonus for hard work).

Co-workers are a lot of fun, and the culture is good, but it is not an innovative company, nor is it an interesting or inspiring industry - it's debt collection; know what you're getting into.
Pros
stable, friendly co-workers and social environment
Cons
low chance of promotion, monthly deadlines, questionable ethics
odd culture
administrative (Former Employee) –  San diego/aero driveMarch 19, 2014
San Diego office has an odd culture.

Benefits and compensation above average, but something about the culture and top executives turned me off, was rough to work with, and forced me out.

Not a very good on boarding/ training experience.
Pros
compensation, fresh water available
Cons
hr will throw you under the bus if you go up against an executive.
Could have been a great company
IT person (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Encore has changed a lot over the past few years. The success of the company has inevitably put more focus on making money than taking care of the people in terms of helping them grow and succeed. IT specifically is seen as "second class citizens", always blamed when things don't work right, but never given the support to solve the problems the right way (e.g. replace outdated technology). All IT staff is expected to be on call 24x7. If you don't pick up a call then you are reprimanded for it.

Management only cares about making quick decisions instead of thinking through options first. I enjoyed the first few months of working at Encore but most of the good people/leaders have left so there is really nothing that sets this place apart from any other multi-billion dollar corporation.

If you want to work at a place where your opinions matter, where your growth is important, look elsewhere.
Pros
free coffee/water
Cons
too many to list here
Fun office
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 31, 2015
Most of time was spent on a computer, and entering data. There was not much hands on work in regards to cases.The overall culture of the office was fun and laid back.
Collectors wanted
Post-Judgment Representative (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 7, 2014
A typical day with Encore includes multiple calls to consumers on delinquent accounts that resolve and negotiate a resolution to the accounts. This is third party collections for pre-suit accounts to active judgment accounts. Management is amazing. I have learned to not keep all my eggs in one basket. My co-workers are amazing and make coming to work more enjoyable. The hardest part about the job at this time is the realization that my particular building will be closing soon due to outsourcing to India. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free lunches on the last Friday of the month due to the news of the closing.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
closing
Job is mundane and the work culture is unprofessional. Job security is good, as staff turnover is high.
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJuly 15, 2014
Encore has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. The work culture used to be fun, flexible and relaxed. Now there are lots of rules and regulations. This is not a professional office, and you are treated like children for the most part.

The company expects you to have a college education, but the hourly wage is not reflective of this.

There is almost always mandatory overtime, averaging at around 15 hours per month. And when there are incentives to work more hours, they are pretty nondescript. The overtime does boost your income, but it also interferes heavily with your free time.

The work is very mundane, and requires a high level of concentration throughout the day. As a Legal Specialist, you are signing affidavits that can end up in the hands of defendants, so you are subjected to a certain level of risk. Many Legal Specialists have been mentioned in blogs on the internet (myself included), and some have even been served with a summons at home.

The company offers 15 days vacation, however, there are no sick days offered, so vacation days will be used for any periods of sickness. There's also the opportunity to work back the time at the weekends if you don't want to eat into your vacation time.

The hardest part of the job was trying to keep my opinions to myself with regards to management.

The best part of the job was working alongside some great people.
Pros
regular pot lucks
Cons
free coffee was disgusting
Deceiving, Lying, Hypocritical, Poor Family/Work Life - Worst Than Factory Work (Legal Specialist)
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 20, 2014
During my interview process, I asked what the possibility of improving and growing was. I was told that the rate to grow here was high and fast pace. After a year of sitting at a computer, looking at my computer screen and pieces of paper non stop, and consistently asking for new challenges, I kept getting denied.

They tell you it's not about how many affidavits you do, it's about how well you do them. This is an absolute lie. They could care less about you as a person. All they want is for you to help them sue people so they can make billions of dollars.

They keep changing rules without telling you. Oh yeah, you first could take a day off without any putting in a week's notice, but all of a sudden you couldn't do this anymore. They never even mentioned a change in rules. They even stated you could call in due to weather with no disciplinary action. Now, you call in because it is 60 below zero and you live 50 miles away, and you get in trouble.

This place isn't family orientated. Sure, at first it SEEMS okay and a decent place to work, but people keep quitting and soon you will too.

Roughly three to five people quit a month. This should scare you. At this rate, this business is going to crumble and there will be no job security left for you..

Work to Life balance is insanely unfair. Overtime, for the last four years (since the department had opened), has never slowed down. There hasn't been a single month of no mandatory overtime. Be aware, your life will soon get hectic, stressful, and family problems will occur. Encore doesn't care about that. All they care about is the
  more... numbers and how many people they can sue so that they can get more money.

Want a raise? Too bad. After working here for more than year, I got the same hourly rate and if I got lucky, after a year and half, I may get 0.01% to 0.03%.

Want to get promoted? Act stupid. Yep! They only promote individuals with special needs (not literally). You'll see. You have a college degree? There's individuals there without college education that are getting paid more than you. You'll laugh once you see how many people there are getting paid more than you for goofing off and acting stupid.

Like to stay in shape? With the poor work/life balance, you're going to gain weight because you won't have time to go to the gym and workout.

You're also going to need glasses because starring at the computer screen all day, everyday, is going to strain your eyes.

Encore used to be fun, according to some, but now due to it buying out large companies (and trying to grow), they are stopping the "fun" it used to be and turning it into a prison.

They try to make you work more by feeding you junk food. Sure, food is nice, but I'd rather see the money.

Don't say I didn't tell you so.
Cons
everything
Analyst, Benefits (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
I would prefer not to provide commentary at this time, perhaps I can provide it once a new position is found. Once I find myself in a new position then I will gladly provide more feedback.
Bonuses are good.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2015
In order to do this line of work, you have to have patience and excellent customer service skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I worked with. You get a lot of irate people calling but it's your job to stay calm and work with the consumer.
Pros
Bonuses
Temp Employee
Checks Processor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 3, 2014
My job is pretty repetitive and the atmosphere is a little "immature-ish" for me. Working for so long in an office setting I am used to professional guidelines and in my department there really is none. Overall if you need a job to make money I recommend it, but not one to further a career.
Great professional place to work
Consumer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2013
A typical day consisted of me sitting at a desk that had two computer monitors. On one screen was the GUI computer system we used to process accounts and on the other monitor was a written consumer correspondence. My duties were to analyze the correspondence and update and process the account. I learned very much about the processes and regulations involved with credit reporting agencies and balancing and managing FICO scores. I am much more informed about the similarities and differences among laws throughout various US states pertaining to these issues. The management and all co-workers at this assignment were great. This group of people are basically a family. The hardest part of the job was remembering the key similarities and differences among the US states when it comes to regulations related to consumer response. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I established with the staff during my experience. I made many new friends who I still speak with now that the temporary assignment is complete. I really enjoyed the my hours of employment, which were Monday- Friday 7:00am-3:30pm.
Pros
free lunches often, holiday parties, nice people.
Cons
alot of employees present in a small work space was often distracting
A growing company looking to be consumer friendly
Legal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 5, 2014
A typical day for my position would include reviewing the attorney calendar to determine which hearings we needed to attend, or dismiss, reviewing files for litigation, reviewing files for service and dismissals, preparing suits for court, preparing instructions for attorneys to appear at court, gathering exhibits and other necessary documents for evidence, reviewing statuses of cases at court, calling courts on occasion, reviewing tentative rulings, reviewing files for bankruptcy, updating files, preparing notices.

The hardest part of my job is a lack of communication between departments. It makes for a lot of wasted time, having to redo tasks that had already been done.
Pros
fun, off sight events, casual work environment, nice co-workers
Cons
healthcare coverage, lacking communication between departments
Poor training and no guidance
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNAugust 25, 2014
This job provided me with almost no training or orientation. They made me go through a temp agency via online located in California after the interview. The job was only temporary, but in the short time I was there the manager provided zero guidance. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to be doing as a file clerk. I was laid off after the first week.
Cons
terrible orientation, no guidance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Encore Capital Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9