Encore Capital Group

Encore Capital Group Employer Reviews

Temp Employee
Checks Processor (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 3, 2014
My job is pretty repetitive and the atmosphere is a little "immature-ish" for me. Working for so long in an office setting I am used to professional guidelines and in my department there really is none. Overall if you need a job to make money I recommend it, but not one to further a career.
Poor training and no guidance
File Clerk (Former Employee), St. Cloud, MNAugust 25, 2014
Cons: terrible orientation, no guidance
This job provided me with almost no training or orientation. They made me go through a temp agency via online located in California after the interview. The job was only temporary, but in the short time I was there the manager provided zero guidance. I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to be doing as a file clerk. I was laid off after the first week.
A growing company looking to be consumer friendly
Legal Specialist (Current Employee), Warren, MIAugust 5, 2014
Pros: fun, off sight events, casual work environment, nice co-workers
Cons: healthcare coverage, lacking communication between departments
A typical day for my position would include reviewing the attorney calendar to determine which hearings we needed to attend, or dismiss, reviewing files for litigation, reviewing files for service and dismissals, preparing suits for court, preparing instructions for attorneys to appear at court, gathering exhibits and other necessary documents for evidence, – more... reviewing statuses of cases at court, calling courts on occasion, reviewing tentative rulings, reviewing files for bankruptcy, updating files, preparing notices.

The hardest part of my job is a lack of communication between departments. It makes for a lot of wasted time, having to redo tasks that had already been done. – less
Adequate Employment Opportunity
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Mission Valley, San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2014
Pros: stable, friendly co-workers and social environment
Cons: low chance of promotion, monthly deadlines, questionable ethics
Not a bad place to work, but not a great one either. The pay is slightly below average for the job titles, and promotions are rare (I've only seen one in any department after working here for a year). The company is large, but small teams make it feel more personal. Work can be mundane, and month-end pushes tend to be stress-inducing.

There is a strong – more... push from management to be creative and boost revenue, but a lack of incentives, high pay, promotion opportunities, and moral high-ground make the pushes relatively useless in terms of actually producing productivity.

Hours are not very intense, but they are very rigid. It's hard to get time off on short notice, and shifting your daily schedule by an hour (eg: 8-4 instead of 9-5) necessitates a talk with a manager. Salaried positions are treated like hourly with no overtime. You must be in the office 8 hrs/day or 40 hrs/week, even if you have nothing to do. In addition, you aren't paid extra for working overtime (not even with a year-end bonus for hard work).

Co-workers are a lot of fun, and the culture is good, but it is not an innovative company, nor is it an interesting or inspiring industry - it's debt collection; know what you're getting into. – less
Job is mundane and the work culture is unprofessional. Job security is good, as staff turnover is high.
Legal Specialist (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNJuly 15, 2014
Pros: regular pot lucks
Cons: free coffee was disgusting
Encore has changed dramatically over the last couple of years. The work culture used to be fun, flexible and relaxed. Now there are lots of rules and regulations. This is not a professional office, and you are treated like children for the most part.

The company expects you to have a college education, but the hourly wage is not reflective of this.

There – more... is almost always mandatory overtime, averaging at around 15 hours per month. And when there are incentives to work more hours, they are pretty nondescript. The overtime does boost your income, but it also interferes heavily with your free time.

The work is very mundane, and requires a high level of concentration throughout the day. As a Legal Specialist, you are signing affidavits that can end up in the hands of defendants, so you are subjected to a certain level of risk. Many Legal Specialists have been mentioned in blogs on the internet (myself included), and some have even been served with a summons at home.

The company offers 15 days vacation, however, there are no sick days offered, so vacation days will be used for any periods of sickness. There's also the opportunity to work back the time at the weekends if you don't want to eat into your vacation time.

The hardest part of the job was trying to keep my opinions to myself with regards to management.

The best part of the job was working alongside some great people. – less
Productive Environment
Legal Specialist (Current Employee), Saint Cloud, MNJune 24, 2014
A typical day at work involves working on the tasks assigned that day. It is a professional environment where we work as part of a team to complete a goal. Each team member's individual contributions combine to reach then end result.
Takeover
Training Specialist (Current Employee), TampaJune 19, 2014
They took over an scaled down the workforce to a minimal level and reduced benifits and compensation
Collectors wanted
Post-Judgment Representative (Current Employee), Brandon, FLMay 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: closing
A typical day with Encore includes multiple calls to consumers on delinquent accounts that resolve and negotiate a resolution to the accounts. This is third party collections for pre-suit accounts to active judgment accounts. Management is amazing. I have learned to not keep all my eggs in one basket. My co-workers are amazing and make coming to work – more... more enjoyable. The hardest part about the job at this time is the realization that my particular building will be closing soon due to outsourcing to India. The most enjoyable part of the job is the free lunches on the last Friday of the month due to the news of the closing. – less
odd culture
administrative (Former Employee), San diego/aero driveMarch 19, 2014
Pros: compensation, fresh water available
Cons: hr will throw you under the bus if you go up against an executive.
San Diego office has an odd culture.

Benefits and compensation above average, but something about the culture and top executives turned me off, was rough to work with, and forced me out.

Not a very good on boarding/ training experience.
Deceiving, Lying, Hypocritical, Poor Family/Work Life - Worst Than Factory Work (Legal Specialist)
Legal Specialist (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNFebruary 20, 2014
Cons: everything
During my interview process, I asked what the possibility of improving and growing was. I was told that the rate to grow here was high and fast pace. After a year of sitting at a computer, looking at my computer screen and pieces of paper non stop, and consistently asking for new challenges, I kept getting denied.

They tell you it's not about how many – more... affidavits you do, it's about how well you do them. This is an absolute lie. They could care less about you as a person. All they want is for you to help them sue people so they can make billions of dollars.

They keep changing rules without telling you. Oh yeah, you first could take a day off without any putting in a week's notice, but all of a sudden you couldn't do this anymore. They never even mentioned a change in rules. They even stated you could call in due to weather with no disciplinary action. Now, you call in because it is 60 below zero and you live 50 miles away, and you get in trouble.

This place isn't family orientated. Sure, at first it SEEMS okay and a decent place to work, but people keep quitting and soon you will too.

Roughly three to five people quit a month. This should scare you. At this rate, this business is going to crumble and there will be no job security left for you..

Work to Life balance is insanely unfair. Overtime, for the last four years (since the department had opened), has never slowed down. There hasn't been a single month of no mandatory overtime. Be aware, your life will soon get hectic, stressful, and family problems will occur. Encore doesn't care about that. All they care about is the numbers and how many people they can sue so that they can get more money.

Want a raise? Too bad. After working here for more than year, I got the same hourly rate and if I got lucky, after a year and half, I may get 0.01% to 0.03%.

Want to get promoted? Act stupid. Yep! They only promote individuals with special needs (not literally). You'll see. You have a college degree? There's individuals there without college education that are getting paid more than you. You'll laugh once you see how many people there are getting paid more than you for goofing off and acting stupid.

Like to stay in shape? With the poor work/life balance, you're going to gain weight because you won't have time to go to the gym and workout.

You're also going to need glasses because starring at the computer screen all day, everyday, is going to strain your eyes.

Encore used to be fun, according to some, but now due to it buying out large companies (and trying to grow), they are stopping the "fun" it used to be and turning it into a prison.

They try to make you work more by feeding you junk food. Sure, food is nice, but I'd rather see the money.

Don't say I didn't tell you so. – less
good place to work
Specialist- Human Resource (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2013
Good management, nice experience working at Encore.The company takes good care of its employees.
As a collector you must be organized, analytical, flexible and posses excellent written and oral communication skills.
Account Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: my supervisors look at the bottom line and acknowledge my overall contributions to the company.
Cons: i did not have sufficient time with the company for a leave due to the first death in the family.
As Collection Representative one must be persistent and professional while being courteous and understanding in dealing with customers, they will also need to be assertive from time to time. While I did learn about the laws of other states I did get the opportunity to learn more about Arizona State. While the liassez faire management style was profound – more... I did understand the need. While working as a collector the co-workers were all private about their collection techniques not wanting to help others with the collections but great when being social. I did however like the compensation of base pay plus uncapped bonus. – less
Great professional place to work
Consumer Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: free lunches often, holiday parties, nice people.
Cons: alot of employees present in a small work space was often distracting
A typical day consisted of me sitting at a desk that had two computer monitors. On one screen was the GUI computer system we used to process accounts and on the other monitor was a written consumer correspondence. My duties were to analyze the correspondence and update and process the account. I learned very much about the processes and regulations – more... involved with credit reporting agencies and balancing and managing FICO scores. I am much more informed about the similarities and differences among laws throughout various US states pertaining to these issues. The management and all co-workers at this assignment were great. This group of people are basically a family. The hardest part of the job was remembering the key similarities and differences among the US states when it comes to regulations related to consumer response. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I established with the staff during my experience. I made many new friends who I still speak with now that the temporary assignment is complete. I really enjoyed the my hours of employment, which were Monday- Friday 7:00am-3:30pm. – less
X
Group Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: x
Cons: x
Strong financially and consumer focused. Management lacked in providing consistent direction. Another big concern was the IT infrastructure.
Lost sight of caring for it's people
Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, AZJune 19, 2012
Lacks communication and quality decision making, growing at a fast pace and huge disconnects in upper management.
Good Environment
Associate (Former Employee), Gurgaon, HRDecember 20, 2014
Good Work Environment
Friendly Relationship
good behavior
Wes who are fantastic!, and working alongside my colleagu learning about new and emerging sustainable ideas
Account Manager (Former Employee), 28-P, Sec-44, GGN, Way to Encore Capital Group,November 23, 2014
Pros: breakfast, lunch and dinner free
Cons: 7.hours
As the year draws to an end, I would like us to take a brief look at how well we have managed our time. This is an issue that most people battle with, day in day out . many of us claim our days are never wasted. “I know where I’m going and what I’m going to do”. If you truly feel that way, then you are in the minority. Most people become frustrated – more... with a day that is unproductive. We would all like to get more done in a day.
The idea of time management has been in existence for more than 100 years. Unfortunately, time cannot be managed, time is uncontrollable. The best we can do is to manage ourselves and use our time. – less
I would love to work in a challenging environment with great earning opportunity as well as growth.
Process Expert (Former Employee), GurgaonOctober 1, 2014
I have knowledge about how collection industry operates their business. What information is required and how to grow in collections. Negotiation flow and patience is the overall key to success. I can also work in collection legal department if given an opportunity. I had an access to US consumer Credit Bureau Report and how to proceed conversation further – more... will all collection tactics.

The most enjoyable part of my life is the respect that I have earned with both the organisation.
• I have been rewarded as quarter of the employee twice. Also achieved 3 lateral promotion in 12 months journey.
• I have been awarded “Feather on the Cap “reward card from Director to support future leaders who all are applying for an IJP. – less
Target based and Team Work
GroupManager (Current Employee), Gurgaon, HRSeptember 17, 2014
My typical day starts with a team huddle briefing last day performance and planning further steps to achieve targets.

I learned how to be flexible with people, utilizing individuals contribution leading to team effort towards target achieving.

The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with different types of people and chasing and over achieving – more... targets. – less
Account Manager
Account Manager (Former Employee), GurgaunSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: free mean and much more
A sister concern company of Midland Credit Management which is biggest Debt Collection Company in United States of America. I was helping consumer resolving their bills as an Account Manager.

About Encore Capital Group

Credit junkies, beware: Encore Capital Group has your number. The firm and its Midland Credit Management subsidiary purchase at – Read more