Senior Manager of Accounting and Financial Reporting
NRG Curtailment Solutions - Buffalo
Status: Full Time
NRG is seeking a talented professional to lead the Accounting team for NRG Curtailment Solutions, (NRGCS), a division of NRG Energy, Inc., a Fortune 300 company. Reporting to the Director of Northeast Retail Accounting, the candidate will be responsible for the on-going development, management and control of NRGCS’ accounting and financial reporting functions. This includes managing the monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes as well as preparation of all internal financial statements, technical accounting and compliance reporting. This person will work closely with senior members of NRGCS management team, participating in day-to-day financial decision making and operational oversight of financial and compliance aspects of the business.
Specific Responsibilities To Include:
- Oversee monthly close process to ensure financials are prepared in accordance with GAAP and within NRG timelines. Responsibilities will include oversight of gross margin and operating expense accounting, non-routine transactions and communications with NRG Corporate Accounting.
- Build, maintain and take ownership of a flexible financial reporting structure to meet the immediate needs of the management team as well as those of the parent company. Consistently evaluate the financial reporting function’s structure and resources.
- Coordinate and prepare all internal monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, as well as reporting to the parent company for inclusion in its SEC filings. Work with financial and operational management to ensure timely and accurate financial statements and the correct reflection of GAAP in the financial statements.
- Perform and manage accounting research to ensure compliance with GAAP requirements. Effectively communicate findings and impact to senior management and Corporate Financial Reporting.
- Manage banking relationship and oversee cash management process. Work with NRG Treasury to manage cash balances, collateral needs and credit support, as required.
- Assess current policies and procedures, develop process improvement documentation and issue new policies and procedures related to financial and administrative processes. Ensure internal control procedures are adequate, properly documented and regularly reviewed.
- Own and manage the Company’s accounting and financial systems, and maintain full and accurate accounting records. Take an active role in the development and maintenance of financial reporting software, including the production of reports with an emphasis on continuous improvement of internal reporting tools.
- Act as the accounting transition lead to support the implementation of SAP in coordination with NRG.
- Manage internal controls over the financial reporting process in connection with SOX requirements. Ensure compliance with policies and procedures and identify opportunities to enhance existing procedures to improve control, measurement and/or productivity.
- Act as liaison with external auditors to facilitate efficient reviews, audits and SOX compliance.
- Hire, manage, train and evaluate accounting staff. Provide formal and informal feedback to staff on a timely basis.
- Complete all ad-hoc projects and special assignments as needed.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with 8-12 years of progressive experience, with at least 5 years management experience.
- Background in public accounting preferred; CPA required.
- Technically adept in all areas of accounting and financial management, including: cash flow management, financial analysis, earnings projections, reporting and risk assessments.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, including a solid foundation of the financial statement close process and GAAP rules and regulations. Extensive experience in the preparation and presentation of financial statements.
- Knowledge of and experience with policies, procedures and sound systems of internal control for compliance with SOX 404.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access. Experience working with SAP and HFM would be beneficial, but is not required.
- Extremely team-oriented with the ability to contribute.
- Strong oral and written skills to convey information clearly and persuasively.
- Results-oriented with a sense of urgency.
Please apply with your resume and a cover letter expressing your interest to us ASAP. We offer in return a competitive wage and bonus plan with many company paid benefits including: paid holidays, vacation time, a free gym membership, 401k plan, std/ltd coverage, life insurance, tuition reimbursement and paid sick time. Medical and Dental coverage is also available.
We are committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing.
About the NRG Curtailment Solutions (NRGCS) group of companies:
NRGCS is division of NRG Energy, Inc., a Fortune 300 company and the largest independent electric power producer in the US. NRGCS consists of Energy Curtailment Specialists, Inc., BidURenergy, Inc., and Ace Energy, Inc.
Energy Curtailment Specialists, Inc. (ECS) is the administrator of electricity Demand Response programs, promoting conservation awareness and helping to ensure the reliability of our country’s electric distribution systems. A leader in the industry, ECS has grown dramatically in the past 11 years, crossing international borders and establishing a significant presence in over 21 states in the US with over 5,000 facilities in the program.
BidURenergy, Inc. (BUE) is fast becoming the premier energy consulting firm in North America. BUE's objective is to bring the lowest electricity and/or natural gas rates to its industrial, commercial and retail clients.
Ace Energy, Inc. offers customized and turnkey energy efficiency solutions. Ace provides state-of-the-art lighting, building automation and controls, engineering, hardware, design, software solutions that give the customer total control of their energy footprint.