energysolutions Employee Reviews

Don't waste your time they will waste yours
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNAugust 10, 2017
Work there for over 6 years. Never no advancement. The management are all Cutthroats never know what's going to happen.. very stressful place. It's also a buddy system. So glad I moved on
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Large company with great co-workers
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 7, 2017
EnergySolutions was a large company that taught me how to manage my time. It is a fast paced environment with high standards. There wasn't advancement in the company available.
Safety is a priority
Health & Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Clinton, TNNovember 14, 2016
I face daily challenges of developing a safety culture where none existed at this particular site and being the only safety and health representative in a fast-paced production facility. I have learned that old habits die hard and it is necessary to be creative when changing mind sets and behavior, which is the most difficult part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when employees make suggestions for ways to improve safety through our Safety Committee.
Pros
Report directly to corporate Health & Safety
Cons
Difficult at times to get production personnel on board with Safety
Interesting work opportunities, well-paced.
Mechanical Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 30, 2016
Plenty of on-the-job training and opportunity to grow in my career. Very professional. Strong emphasis on safety and health culture.
Cons
Between projects, work can slow down.
mechanical designer
Mechanical designer /CAD Drafter (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 27, 2015
what i liked about the company was everybody was good at what they did and worked hard and getting things done. there was a good work flow between the engineerings and designer and good checking procedures. the hardest part of the job was sometimes not enough to keep busy but the product was interesting and fun to design and draw.
Pros
good benefits and good lunch and learn program
Cons
work load was slow at times and job security at times was uncertain
Travel and Purchasing Card Manager
Corporate Credit Card Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 7, 2014
I implemented their Purchasing Card program and their entire Travel program including the Amex Travel Card.

Saved the company $400,000 in the first 6 months.

Traveled to each site training on the new procurement and travel systems.
Pros
work/life balance, downtown location
Excellent customer service
Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 8, 2014
I was a health and safety officer for energysolutions contracted to the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Pros
Good hours, great benefits, good pay
Cons
Competitive work environment
Very poor place to work .You will be sorry you wasted your time.
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Erwin TN.August 1, 2014
Worked in Maintenance for over 1yr. no cost of living , very high turn over, oldest maintenance mechanic was 1.5 yrs. They ran everyone off. They have had 22 maintenance employees that have fired or ran off, Managers think they know everthing But they are the ones that have recked the company.
Pros
None Poor place to work
Cons
Great company to work at.
IT Director - US Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  knoxville TNApril 2, 2014
I learned a lot while working at EnergySolutions the one thing that I was really good at was coming up with ways to do things with little funding.

IT funding suffered the first several years that I worked there and we had to learn and come up with ways to make things work with what we had. Made keeping current on hardware and software a little hard. In the past 2 years we have seen a shift in management buy-in on large projects are have been able to "right size" much of the infrastructure to meet the enterprise needs.

Enjoyed traveling to all the offices/sites to work on and solve issues that they were experiencing.
Pros
Very Flexible with work hours and places
Cons
Lot of work to do without much support
money and benifits where good
Operator V (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 24, 2014
Middle management left much to be desired. No confidence in the credibility of project management. The pay was excellent and benifits where good. Work environment was good as well.
Excellent company to work for.
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richland, WANovember 13, 2013
Challenging work environment keeps you on your toes and working your brain.
Lack of trust in the company. Good most of the time to all employees.
Admin Assistant/Receptionist/Project Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNAugust 7, 2013
A typical day would start with whatever anyone needed help with that was required out the door immediately. Then I would settle down and get my work completed.
I learned to prioritize my work and learned some new ways of getting certain jobs done.
As far as management there was to much and to many meetings wasting a lot of work time. Upper management did not trust each other and it reflected on the people below them.
My co-workers mostly were wonderful people to work with and I would help each one of them when needed.
Hardest part of the job was knowing if I would have a job the next day and lack of work. There was work to be done but some people would not share the load for job security.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things I had never had the chance to do before and my co-workers.
Pros
Nice Christmas party each year and they did help each other when a personal crisis came up.
Cons
No trust in upper management.
Great company with great people
Sr. Health Physics (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMay 29, 2013
Great place to learn and apply experience.
Willing to let furthur education
Professional work environment
decent company
Accounts Payable Temp (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 28, 2013
easy job to do, good employees, hired as a temp, no possibility of permanent advancement
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no advancement
Unstable, Unprofessional
Employee (Current Employee) –  Multiple SiteApril 10, 2013
This company is as other reviewers have stated a sinking ship. It is comprised now solely of the old Duratek and Chem Nuclear Management and we all know what those managers records are.

Employment with this company will destroy the resume you have worked hard to build. Compliance and safety are not valued and this fact is known by the entire waste industry.
Pros
salary
Cons
turnover, senior management, lack of regulatory compliance
Sinking Ship !!!!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  UtahFebruary 28, 2013
Stay away. It is a sinking ship. $800 million debt.. Never know if you have a job from day to day.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
company is a sinking ship.
Great company but continuous change in upper management and little communication from immediate management
Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Paducah, KY. Los Alamos, NM, and Idaho Falls, IDJanuary 31, 2013
We have had 3 CEOs in three years. Company was recently bought and merged with another company and I suspect there will be Reductions in Force due to the potential of duplicate positions.

Love my work as a subcontractor to various work sites. Typical day is to work with systems engineers to review/update/generate software quality documentation - perform /observe software tests. Learned a lot about how PLCs work and their interface with control systems. Can't program them but I understand them much better. Hardest part of job was the change in the mindset of the engineers. The complex where I worked in my last assignment, was under the control of the University of California but recently DOE put in private contractor. The scientists did not like the change nor the DOE requirements that became mandatory. They gradually accepted the change but modifying the mindset of "we never did it that way before" to the rules/regulations of DOE was a challenge but rewarding. Co-workers were the engineers I worked with - as a subcontractor, I worked for the facility manager and interfaced daily with him, his staff, and the systems engineers. The most rewarding part of the job was that they appreciated the help/guidance that I provided. Too bad budget cuts forced a majority of the subcontractors, including myself, to leave the complex.
Pros
working with engineers, short commute to work, beautiful place to live, mild winters
Cons
apartment rentals in the area were expensive, reduction of subcontractors due to budget cuts
Terrible Executive Management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 17, 2013
This company has gone through a high turnover in executive management over the past 5 years. This has hurt employee morale and affected the company's profitability.
Very interesting place to work, but very stressful due to changing management culture
Vice President, Clive Site (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2012
A typical day at work involved numerous interactions with site management team, employees and the executive team working to assure efficient, compliant, safe operations of the facilities I was responsible for.

A typical day also included interactions on public policy/licensing issues with regulators, legislators and auditors.
Pros
transparent culture that fostered self identification of issues that needed to be corrected
Cons
changing culture related to new executive management team
Job was good fit
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 30, 2012
I'm a paralegal who specializes in records & imformation management. That being the case, working in Document Control was a good fit. Typical duties included scanning & indexing incoming documents, writing & reviewing procedures & instructions, retrieving information for regulators, managers & employees, etc. I learned about OnBase, an electronic data management system that is used throughout the world. My partner was excellent. I would not make a move without her. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines on multiple projects. The most emjoyable part, as stated, was that it was a good fit & it allowed me to use skills & abilities I have
Pros
allowed me to use skills & abilities
Cons
laid off after 15 years of employment