energysolutions

energysolutions Employer Reviews

Great company to work at.
IT Director - US Infrastructure (Former Employee), knoxville TNApril 2, 2014
Pros: very flexible with work hours and places
Cons: lot of work to do without much support
I learned a lot while working at EnergySolutions the one thing that I was really good at was coming up with ways to do things with little funding.

IT funding suffered the first several years that I worked there and we had to learn and come up with ways to make things work with what we had. Made keeping current on hardware and software a little hard. – more... In the past 2 years we have seen a shift in management buy-in on large projects are have been able to "right size" much of the infrastructure to meet the enterprise needs.

Enjoyed traveling to all the offices/sites to work on and solve issues that they were experiencing. – less
money and benifits where good
Operator V (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMMarch 24, 2014
Middle management left much to be desired. No confidence in the credibility of project management. The pay was excellent and benifits where good. Work environment was good as well.
Excellent company to work for.
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), Richland, WANovember 13, 2013
Challenging work environment keeps you on your toes and working your brain.
Lack of trust in the company. Good most of the time to all employees.
Admin Assistant/Receptionist/Project Control Clerk (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNAugust 7, 2013
Pros: nice christmas party each year and they did help each other when a personal crisis came up.
Cons: no trust in upper management.
A typical day would start with whatever anyone needed help with that was required out the door immediately. Then I would settle down and get my work completed.
I learned to prioritize my work and learned some new ways of getting certain jobs done.
As far as management there was to much and to many meetings wasting a lot of work time. Upper management – more... did not trust each other and it reflected on the people below them.
My co-workers mostly were wonderful people to work with and I would help each one of them when needed.
Hardest part of the job was knowing if I would have a job the next day and lack of work. There was work to be done but some people would not share the load for job security.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things I had never had the chance to do before and my co-workers. – less
Great company with great people
Sr. Health Physics (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMay 29, 2013
Great place to learn and apply experience.
Willing to let furthur education
Professional work environment
decent company
Accounts Payable Temp (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 28, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: no advancement
easy job to do, good employees, hired as a temp, no possibility of permanent advancement
Unstable, Unprofessional
Employee (Current Employee), Multiple SiteApril 10, 2013
Pros: salary
Cons: turnover, senior management, lack of regulatory compliance
This company is as other reviewers have stated a sinking ship. It is comprised now solely of the old Duratek and Chem Nuclear Management and we all know what those managers records are.

Employment with this company will destroy the resume you have worked hard to build. Compliance and safety are not valued and this fact is known by the entire waste – more... industry. – less
Sinking Ship !!!!!!
Manager (Former Employee), UtahFebruary 28, 2013
Pros: pay was ok
Cons: company is a sinking ship.
Stay away. It is a sinking ship. $800 million debt.. Never know if you have a job from day to day.
Great company but continuous change in upper management and little communication from immediate management
Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee), Paducah, KY. Los Alamos, NM, and Idaho Falls, IDJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: working with engineers, short commute to work, beautiful place to live, mild winters
Cons: apartment rentals in the area were expensive, reduction of subcontractors due to budget cuts
We have had 3 CEOs in three years. Company was recently bought and merged with another company and I suspect there will be Reductions in Force due to the potential of duplicate positions.

Love my work as a subcontractor to various work sites. Typical day is to work with systems engineers to review/update/generate software quality documentation - perform – more... /observe software tests. Learned a lot about how PLCs work and their interface with control systems. Can't program them but I understand them much better. Hardest part of job was the change in the mindset of the engineers. The complex where I worked in my last assignment, was under the control of the University of California but recently DOE put in private contractor. The scientists did not like the change nor the DOE requirements that became mandatory. They gradually accepted the change but modifying the mindset of "we never did it that way before" to the rules/regulations of DOE was a challenge but rewarding. Co-workers were the engineers I worked with - as a subcontractor, I worked for the facility manager and interfaced daily with him, his staff, and the systems engineers. The most rewarding part of the job was that they appreciated the help/guidance that I provided. Too bad budget cuts forced a majority of the subcontractors, including myself, to leave the complex. – less
Terrible Executive Management
Administrator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 17, 2013
This company has gone through a high turnover in executive management over the past 5 years. This has hurt employee morale and affected the company's profitability.
Very interesting place to work, but very stressful due to changing management culture
Vice President, Clive Site (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2012
Pros: transparent culture that fostered self identification of issues that needed to be corrected
Cons: changing culture related to new executive management team
A typical day at work involved numerous interactions with site management team, employees and the executive team working to assure efficient, compliant, safe operations of the facilities I was responsible for.

A typical day also included interactions on public policy/licensing issues with regulators, legislators and auditors.
Job was good fit
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTNovember 30, 2012
Pros: allowed me to use skills & abilities
Cons: laid off after 15 years of employment
I'm a paralegal who specializes in records & imformation management. That being the case, working in Document Control was a good fit. Typical duties included scanning & indexing incoming documents, writing & reviewing procedures & instructions, retrieving information for regulators, managers & employees, etc. I learned about OnBase, an electronic data – more... management system that is used throughout the world. My partner was excellent. I would not make a move without her. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines on multiple projects. The most emjoyable part, as stated, was that it was a good fit & it allowed me to use skills & abilities I have – less
Uneasy, unstable company to work for
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 30, 2012
Pros: free tickets to jazz games
Cons: new management, layoffs, instability
I have worked at ES for a long time and I can say with all of the new executive management turnover it has become a difficult place to work in. The corporate culture used to be fun with great people.
Productive environment
Chem Lab Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 13, 2012
Pros: unique training; essential services to the country. bus transportation provided.
Cons: long distance from slc
EnergySolutions receives radioactive waste for safe disposal from around the country. The facility is located in the Utah desert and a bus is provided for employees... leaves very early in the morning from locations in Salt Lake City and Tooele.

The company is a great environment for giving individuals willing to work hard a start.
Great place to work, lot of things to be learned.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Englewood, COSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: getting to show hospitality to our guests
A Typical work day is making sure that everyone who enter the office is accounted for (Security reason). I have learned a lot in the adminstrtive field still lot more I would like to learn. I like working with my coworkers, everyone willing to share their knowledge. The hardest part about the job is not having enought to do at times. The things I enjoy – more... most is the interacting with fellow coworkers to get a job done. – less
Unique company that does a service for the nation.
Director, Financial Planning (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 2, 2012
Excellent place to work. The people here are very friendly and great to work with.
Good management and co-workers, highly specialized field
Process and Operations Research Modeler (Current Employee), Richland, WAApril 3, 2012
Pros: great co-workers, unique industry
Cons: healthcare, offices scattered across the country
EnergySolutions works exclusively on projects dealing with nuclear technologies (e.g. water treatment design, facility closure, waste disposal). They have many offices scattered around the country and have recently gone through large reorganizations in management and employee divisions.

Overall I like the company. My co-workers and managers are good – more... people. The job is difficult and the hours are fair.

The only thing I am dissatisfied with is the health insurance. The company decided to switch to a health insurance carrier that has no presence in our current location, so it has been very hard to get them to cover our bills from most doctors in the area. The choice of doctors, particularly specialists, is extremely limited. I have at times battled with the insurance company for 6 months to have bills covered. HR has assured us that this will improve once the company can switch contracts in 2013. – less