English Heritage Employee Reviews

Great time off and stress free
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  BattleMarch 20, 2016
A nice company to work for and generally no problems working there, i do however feel the management are inexperienced in relation to dealing with staff and thus struggle to motivate people and lack consistency at times which can be frustrating. Though the role is relatively stress free and working hours are fantastic which can make up for the managerial side
Pros
working hours/days
Cons
management consistency/ability
Interesting environment
Reception Manager / Facilities (Current Employee) –  SwindonFebruary 24, 2016
A happy interesting place to work which I have enjoyed in the years that I have been here meeting interesting people in a busy environment.
Pros
Meet people
Friendly, welcoming and professional
Digital Content Manager (Current Employee) –  SwindonNovember 2, 2015
A friendly place to work with lots of opportunity to train, flexible hours with the option of home working on occasion. You can learn from your colleagues who are always willing to share new information and new ways of working.
Pros
Free membership, flexible working
A relaxed, friendly atmosphere
Head of Social and Economic Research (Current Employee) –  High Holburn, LondonOctober 5, 2015
A bit of a frustrating public sector place to work. A lot of fat could still be cut out of this company, although the department I worked in was pacier and harder working than other departments.
Good workplace
Cashier/Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amesbury, ENGSeptember 20, 2015
On a day to day basis i would replenish stock in the store, serve customers from around the world and make sure your there to help the customer in any way you can. I am also trained in the Cash Office which consists of inputting data on Excel spreadsheet and making sure that everything adds up and is correct. Doing daily paperwork and filing in the correct way. Answering the phone and answering any queries given to me.
Pros
laerning new things
Cons
Can be highly stressful
Amazing volunteering experience
Garden volunteer at the Kenwood House (Former Employee) –  Kenwood house, LondonJuly 29, 2015
Be out in any weather, digging, planting bulbs, weeding, pruning and enjoying the landscape. Also trained and volunteered as an explainer for a few weeks.
alright depending on location
Historic Property Steward (Current Employee) –  Ashby-De-La-Zouch, ENGJuly 8, 2015
I work on my own in a castle, its very lonely and cold. I have no toilet facilities or running hot water. Which is needed for health and safety reasons.
I couldn't turn the job down as I need the money. I basically got lied too about the castle I would be working in, I applied for another castle which is in my village. They gave this role to a younger person who they would have to pay less.
I wanted as many hours as possible, I only work weekends, was told I could cover at other places but this has not happened yet, so another lie.
Very slow with paying you, I only just got May's wages at the beginning of July? I have been told that its a month in advance, but this is a lie as its two months???

I have management skills and I feel I could of helped the company with fundraising ideas and training but because of where I have been shoved off too, I do not think I'll get to progress.

Come September when my contract ends, they'll say "see ya next year then?"
and I will say (insert swear words here)
Pros
rate of pay
Cons
not much chance of progression, lonely, unsafe
A caring and friendly work place
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walmer, ENGMay 9, 2015
When I arrive at work I am welcomed by all staff members. Everyone is easy to get a long with and there are always events to look forward to. I am now a trained barista and have learnt many new skills due to other colleagues helping me. The management team are always there to talk to if you have a question and treat you exactly the same as everyone else. The hardest part of the job is when the coffee machine doesn't like to cooperate and that is the only fault I can find. I am very happy at Walmer Castle.
Pros
free entry to all English Heritage castles
Cons
not enough hours
Custodian of our nations history
Historic Properties Steward (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ENGMarch 7, 2015
A typical day is completing a site walk, ensuring that historic building is safe for the public to enter. Counting tills, setting up audio tours and correct signage. Throughout the rest of the day, will be dealing one to one with visitors. Completing admissions, selling retail goods, promoting English Heritage and its products and services.

I have learned a lot about the site and more of the nations history with prosperities having interlocking stories. My site supervisors and managers are fantastic. Most managers above them are pleasant. My co-workers are a great bunch. People with a similar passion for historic prosperities and history. But come from a variety of backgrounds.

Hardest part of the job can be micro management and visitors attitudes, especially summer when people have been waiting in queues for a long time and aren't friendly or polite with you.

Most enjoyable- the visitors, meeting new people and cultures from around the world. Speaking to children, who are enjoying their days out. Working with a good bunch of people.
Pros
supportive middle management. good team.
Cons
lack of advancement opportunties outside of site work. seasonal work.
Busy project department
Stonehenge Programme & Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  BristolJuly 30, 2014
Have worked on a flagship project to improve the visitor facilities at the organisation's most important site.

I have learned I great deal from the team I have worked with, all of whom are committed to the project.

There have been long days, pressure to hit deadlines but it has been wonderful to see the results come to fruition.
heritage Industry
Merchandise Manager - contract (Former Employee) –  SwindonJune 13, 2014
Heritage Organisation

Employed om contract to back fill Merchandise Manager
Very good organization to work for, and lots of historic places to discover with family for free.
Payment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, ENGDecember 18, 2013
Good working experience and improved my communication skills.
A good opportunity to practice what I've learnt from AAT.
A non-typical day at work
Health & Safety Advisor, East & London (Current Employee) –  HomeworkerDecember 19, 2012
One minute I am at home writing a gas isolation procedure or a fire risk assessment for an historic house, the next I am sitting on the beach at Osborne House eating an ice cream looking at the new catering facilities.
Or I could be conducting an incident investigation one day and the next day climbing scaffolding to the top of Framlingham Castle.

This is certainly a job with variety.

The worst part of the job is the uncertainty, will be get our government funding cut again and will I join over 800 people already made redundant from the organisation 18 months ago?
Pros
travelling around the country looking after some wonderful historic site and staying in god hotels.
Cons
lots of car travelling involved
An interesting and enjoyable experience
Scribe, Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Osborne HouseNovember 14, 2012
I enjoyed working for english heritage, though towards the end i noticed some struggles between management in the House and POQ, (where the shop/ticket desks and my membership pod were stationed) although it didn't affect me too much, i feel other staff weren't pleased with changes and setbacks. Apart from that, the people i worked with were interesting and good co-workers, i believe they all found it a nice experience to work with myself and when i left i was rewarded with a Bonus as well as the possibility to work with them again next year in 2013.
Pros
staff discount and free access to properties
Cons
little consideration for the staff's welfare in poq, staff room taken away for rather silly reasons i feel
Great people to work for
Historic Properties Steward (Current Employee) –  Rievaulx and whitby abbeyAugust 15, 2012
English heritage are a fantastic organisation to work for.

4.3