English Heritage Employee Reviews

busy and organised environment
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Osborne house beach cafeFebruary 22, 2017
I enjoy the challenge of working in a busy cafe, communicating with customers and providing a good customer service. English Heritage are a great company to work for offering a good degree of training and responsibility to staff.The management are approachable and helpful in solving any issues that may arise in a days work.The hardest part of the job is ensuring stock matches the changing customer numbers as the job is weather dependant as it is located on the private beach on the estate.the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children happy with ice-creams and enhancing the visitor experience by giving a good service.
Pros
friendly environment to work
Cons
can be very quiet some days
Great Environment
Historic Property Steward (Current Employee) –  EssexFebruary 15, 2017
I love working here, excellent pay, friendly colleagues and members of the public (most of the time). It is just a shame that most English Heritage job positions are seasonal or now being made into voluntary positions.
Pros
The people and pay
Cons
Seasonal
Lone working, long hours and no breaks
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  South EastJanuary 4, 2017
Poor work/life balance. Long hours 9.5 per day without a break as worked alone and site does not close for lunch. Can be stressful as lone working so need to be responsible for all aspects of visitor attraction including visitor safety and risk assessment. Poor support from higher management . Poor career progression. Job now less focused on history, learning and conservation and now purely sales/target driven. Pay is poor compared with similar roles in other organisations. Employee welfare facilities very poor.
Pros
Free visits to all sites for staff and family. Pretty work locations.
Cons
long hours, poor reward.
Horrible, impersonal and fake
Historic property steward (Former Employee) –  Wrest ParkDecember 28, 2016
I applyed and accepted the job for english heritage having a passion for history and people. I was a fool, its just another business sucking all the interesting things from thier sites in exchange for money. All importance goes on maintaining the shop stock and keeping conversation with customers to a sales pitch. I applied for a historic property steward role to one day end up washing up dishes in the back of the cafe area and my supervisor telling me to mention it on my hours so i could be paid less! Horrible long days and company will forget to give you any benefits unless you remind them to give them to you about 3 times. Would not work for them again.
Bullying Culture
Visitor Assistant - Historic Property Steward (Former Employee) –  LindisfarneDecember 27, 2016
I thought it would be a fantastic company to work for. How wrong I was!! Run by bullies. I wrote to the MD about it, but nothing happened. Not supported by management in any way. Totally dispensible each year. They are only open from April to October. You might get a few hours each month during the winter if you're lucky. They just do not care. It's a job suitable for a student but that's it. Real shame as the historic sites are good, but all they care about are how many jam jars and guide books you've sold. Oh and the memberships too. I would avoid if you can get another job elsewhere.
wonderful job
Visitor Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  WorcestershireNovember 14, 2016
Loved this job. Each day different, meeting new and different people.
Learnt so much about the history of the site and buildings and families that lived there and then passing on that knowledge to the guests.
Wonderful team we all worked great together.
The hardest part of the job..................having to leave.
Just driving to work made me feel good, relaxed and couldnt wait to get there.
Pros
My colleagues and the site
Cons
non
Guidebooks are Fun!
Senior Production Manager (Former Employee) –  London and SwindonSeptember 20, 2016
The greatest challenge for me here was to reduce the suppliers from 40 to 5. This was made by means of contracts.
A new remit for procurement was to produce contracts to help with compliance and the legal legislation required for operating Government Framework Agreements.

I managed this project In 2003 and since then produced nine contracts for creative and print manufacturers.

Management of Guidebooks was the most interesting and using my knowledge of printing was able to save much money for the organisation.

Working with Editors and creative most of the time at this organisation and dealing with 9 regional offices.

Hardest part of this job was managing a life in Swindon as well as London.

Most enjoyable part was utilising my experience and the challenges of producing the Contracts.
Ok
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee) –  South EastAugust 1, 2016
Nothing special, co-workers are friendly, very tedious at times. Not a lot of room for career progression. Typically a 9am start and 6pm finish with a 1 hour break.
Pros
Friendly staff, long breaks.
Cons
Not enough hours. Very gossipy.
stressful, poor support structure, poor work life balance
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  UKMay 30, 2016
Poor work life balance, with expectations to cover long shifts without breaks. Increasing and unrealistic workload and targets forced onto site staff from senior management.
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Explainer, Cleaner (Former Employee) –  AudleyMay 13, 2016
Typical day would include, light cleaning duties, relaying information to members of the public about the house, helping members of the public with enquiries.
Pros
FRee English Heritage Membership
Cons
Volunteer Work
Great time off and stress free
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  BattleMarch 20, 2016
A nice company to work for and generally no problems working there, i do however feel the management are inexperienced in relation to dealing with staff and thus struggle to motivate people and lack consistency at times which can be frustrating. Though the role is relatively stress free and working hours are fantastic which can make up for the managerial side
Pros
working hours/days
Cons
management consistency/ability
Interesting environment
Reception Manager / Facilities (Current Employee) –  SwindonFebruary 24, 2016
A happy interesting place to work which I have enjoyed in the years that I have been here meeting interesting people in a busy environment.
Pros
Meet people
Friendly, welcoming and professional
Digital Content Manager (Current Employee) –  SwindonNovember 2, 2015
A friendly place to work with lots of opportunity to train, flexible hours with the option of home working on occasion. You can learn from your colleagues who are always willing to share new information and new ways of working.
Pros
Free membership, flexible working
A relaxed, friendly atmosphere
Head of Social and Economic Research (Current Employee) –  High Holburn, LondonOctober 5, 2015
A bit of a frustrating public sector place to work. A lot of fat could still be cut out of this company, although the department I worked in was pacier and harder working than other departments.
Good workplace
Cashier/Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amesbury, ENGSeptember 20, 2015
On a day to day basis i would replenish stock in the store, serve customers from around the world and make sure your there to help the customer in any way you can. I am also trained in the Cash Office which consists of inputting data on Excel spreadsheet and making sure that everything adds up and is correct. Doing daily paperwork and filing in the correct way. Answering the phone and answering any queries given to me.
Pros
laerning new things
Cons
Can be highly stressful
Amazing volunteering experience
Garden volunteer at the Kenwood House (Former Employee) –  Kenwood house, LondonJuly 29, 2015
Be out in any weather, digging, planting bulbs, weeding, pruning and enjoying the landscape. Also trained and volunteered as an explainer for a few weeks.
alright depending on location
Historic Property Steward (Current Employee) –  Ashby-De-La-Zouch, ENGJuly 8, 2015
I work on my own in a castle, its very lonely and cold. I have no toilet facilities or running hot water. Which is needed for health and safety reasons.
I couldn't turn the job down as I need the money. I basically got lied too about the castle I would be working in, I applied for another castle which is in my village. They gave this role to a younger person who they would have to pay less.
I wanted as many hours as possible, I only work weekends, was told I could cover at other places but this has not happened yet, so another lie.
Very slow with paying you, I only just got May's wages at the beginning of July? I have been told that its a month in advance, but this is a lie as its two months???

I have management skills and I feel I could of helped the company with fundraising ideas and training but because of where I have been shoved off too, I do not think I'll get to progress.

Come September when my contract ends, they'll say "see ya next year then?"
and I will say (insert swear words here)
Pros
rate of pay
Cons
not much chance of progression, lonely, unsafe
A caring and friendly work place
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walmer, ENGMay 9, 2015
When I arrive at work I am welcomed by all staff members. Everyone is easy to get a long with and there are always events to look forward to. I am now a trained barista and have learnt many new skills due to other colleagues helping me. The management team are always there to talk to if you have a question and treat you exactly the same as everyone else. The hardest part of the job is when the coffee machine doesn't like to cooperate and that is the only fault I can find. I am very happy at Walmer Castle.
Pros
free entry to all English Heritage castles
Cons
not enough hours
Custodian of our nations history
Historic Properties Steward (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ENGMarch 7, 2015
A typical day is completing a site walk, ensuring that historic building is safe for the public to enter. Counting tills, setting up audio tours and correct signage. Throughout the rest of the day, will be dealing one to one with visitors. Completing admissions, selling retail goods, promoting English Heritage and its products and services.

I have learned a lot about the site and more of the nations history with prosperities having interlocking stories. My site supervisors and managers are fantastic. Most managers above them are pleasant. My co-workers are a great bunch. People with a similar passion for historic prosperities and history. But come from a variety of backgrounds.

Hardest part of the job can be micro management and visitors attitudes, especially summer when people have been waiting in queues for a long time and aren't friendly or polite with you.

Most enjoyable- the visitors, meeting new people and cultures from around the world. Speaking to children, who are enjoying their days out. Working with a good bunch of people.
Pros
Supportive middle management. Good team.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunties outside of site work. Seasonal work.
Busy project department
Stonehenge Programme & Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  BristolJuly 30, 2014
Have worked on a flagship project to improve the visitor facilities at the organisation's most important site.

I have learned I great deal from the team I have worked with, all of whom are committed to the project.

There have been long days, pressure to hit deadlines but it has been wonderful to see the results come to fruition.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at English Heritage. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval