Entercom Communications Employee Reviews

Great people to work with. Good management team
Customer Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 14, 2016
My roles as an Inside Sales Manager was to make calls to businesses in and around the markets I was assigned to. The main market I was in charge of was Boston. Other markets I worked on included Kansas City, MO and Madison WI.

I sold radio advertising for the local stations in each market over the phone. It taught me patience, resiliency and great communication. I learned that selling an idea to someone over the phone is much different than face to face.

I had a base salary of 25K but there were some compensation for closing deals for the company. It was a rewarding job because i felt a sense of accomplishment each time I was successful. The most rewarding part of the job was growth. I started off doing something that I was completely unfamiliar with but was able to improve as I worked hard and put the time in to learn from mistakes as well as successes.

Entercom was a great place for me to start my working life. However, there was not a lot of opportunity to move up in the company. Another thing that frustrated me was not being rewarded for being one of the best sellers in my department. The compensation for being successful was minimal.

I do not regret my time there but I am ready to take another step towards a more reliable and steady job. I want to learn new skills and be rewarded for how hard I work.
Fast-Paced Media Workplace
Radio Show Producer/Control Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 15, 2013
I have been with Entercom as well as other ownership companies of the radio stations that I've been employed by for 15 years. A typical day at work involved setting up various computer and digital radio equipment to coordinate, to oversee, and to execute various elements involved in the stations' programming. I've learned that this work atmosphere centered on particular attention to detail, was very time-sensitive, and required cooperation between various colleagues. Management and colleagues were mostly cordial; however, some often lacked the courtesy to stay in verbal communication with me about certain aspects of the job and totally relied on e-mail as the primary means of communication. While e-mail is a necessary tool, personal communication is equally needed to reinforce significant aspects of the job. Hence, compromised communication and lack of being informed about important work-related issues were two challenges that I encountered with the job while the most enjoyable portions included being able to accommodate the hosts (talent) and making their programs/shows sound orderly and professional on the air.
A great place to work, with talented, energenic, and creative people.
Program Director/Talk Show Host (Former Employee) –  Pittston, PAJune 29, 2015
Over the years I worked many shifts, but mainly morning drive. A typical day started with about 1-2 hours of show prep and production time for the show. As a manager, I would come in about 5-6 hours before airtime, to work on my other duties besides my program.

I learned during my time how to work with a diverse workforce, and it definitely made me more empathetic to the needs of others.

Management was always fair and truly had the employees best interests in decisions. My fellow employees were the best part of the job, as they were energetic and creative. Every day was an adventure.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with doing more with less,

The best part of the job was communicating with the public and the feedback that you would get from them.
Pros
Employee functions, free tickets to sporting events and concerts, my fellow employees.
Cons
Downsizing and automation
Fun and challenging job
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Kansas CitySeptember 24, 2012
This job is the most rewarding job I have ever had. Sales is a very tough business and radio sales might be the toughest of them all, but if you can succeed selling it then you could sell anything. This job requires a lot of hard work and cold calling. The goal is to continually generate new business which after time might start to look like a never ending battle, but you get out of it what you put in to it. The hardest part of this job is staying positive. Being told no is something you have to get used to. The management and the co-workers are absolutely the greatest part of this company. Everyone is there to help you succeed and become a better salesman. The work environment is a very fun and friendly environment. Not the typical dry business environment many people expect.
Pros
freedom, fun workplace, great managers, tickets to concerts and sports events
Cons
very hard to succeed, no room for advancement
Fun place to work
Promotions Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAJune 24, 2014
I worked as an intern and then as a full-time employee at Entercom Communications in the Business Development and Promotions departments. There was no such thing as a "typical day" at Entercom because I was always tasked different and exciting projects by my awesome managers. One day I could be out working a promotional event with a few Red Sox players, and another day I could be writing radio copy for a new client; needless to say, I was always learning and having fun. My co-workers were hands down what made me stay for so long with this company, and with such little pay. We were a team that worked together, accomplished our goals together and had each others backs. I only wish the radio industry paid their employees "behind the scenes" more than the actual talent because I would have gladly stayed with a career in this field.
Pros
awesome co-workers, meeting local celebs, cool events
Cons
low wages
Entercom Commincations (WSSP)
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 20, 2015
I was hired to launch WSSP. We did that about as text book as you could.

We did not have ratings success initially. Our issues were getting a foothold in the market after WTMJ has frozen us out of everything) and an established sports station at 1510.

Our attempts to up the profile of the brand failed significantly.

After the GM that hired me left after eight months, the DOS was promoted to GM. He decided we needed to start over rather than be patient.

Our morning show never developed, yet I was rebuffed when I wanted to make changes.

Lots of input from the outside. Once it appeared we were not moving the needle, everyone wanted to weigh in to try to fix it.
Pros
Incredibly professional environment with extremely talented people
Cons
New GM didn't get it
Great atmosphere, great talent, but tough place
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 15, 2014
Entercom believes in live and local talent, which is a major plus in an industry that has eliminated so much of it. They give you opportunities to grow, if earned, and have very smart people to help you do so.

They're biggest downfall is pay. They tend to nickel and dime programming staff, not only locally but from corporate as well. Their on air bonus structure is probably a good business idea, but can be very difficult for the employee.They also are very difficult to negotiate with, often presenting take it or leave it scenarios. Again, probably a good business model, but it's very tough on employees.
Pros
live and local opportunities, progressive on air strategies
Cons
negotiations, money, and bonus structre
Fun workplace with a ton of learning potential, but the low salaries make it difficult to make a living
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2013
Entercom has allowed me to learn and grow as a young professional in the media and advertising industries as I have worked in various positions throughout the company. I have learned about the sales process of selling radio and digital advertising as well as the coordination of every aspect of marketing campaigns. I am accustomed to scheduling advertising flights, designing sales proposals, handling paperwork, and many other tasks such as updating revenue reports and organizing monthly expense reports. My co-workers are very fun to work with and almost always willing to help each other out with any work related issues.
Great Co-Workers
SALES ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 17, 2016
Radio is an interesting industry - lots of pressure to make numbers in an evolving medium.
Poor internal communication in a business that depends on communication.

Entercom has some really amazing people supporting its incredible Sales team.

Compensation is the lowest of the 3 radio groups in town - it's impossible to attract and keep good people if they are not going to be compensated appropriately,
Pros
concert tickets, event tickets
Cons
pay rate, cost of living increase %
Great Place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 3, 2012
Entercom Communications was a Radio Station where I was the Receptionist. Entercom was a great place to work for. I got to meet alot of celebrites and the company offered great benefits. This job taught me alot about the music industry. On a typical day I was involved with radio traffic,sales and the promotions department. I alsp provided customers with their daily commercial rotation and also maintained daily prize requisition.
Pros
great benefits, fun enviroment
Cons
temp job
Advertising Sales and Promotions
Account Executive/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 26, 2012
Aggressive advertising sales with event planning and promotions of customers products. Working with ESPN and KGON to plan, prepare and execute promotional events while also preparing ad spots for radio play.
Pros
famous musicians come to work, exciting atmosphere, fun events
Cons
extended work hours late into the night, weekends
Worst job I have ever had
Media Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 17, 2015
Company was corrupt and there is favortism. Sales were difficult because prospects are limited. It's an old industry. The managers bothered me the most because they were so partial to some people and secretive. I felt like they were egotistic and didn't have many skills to back their big egos up.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Managers are jerks
Who doesn't love Radio
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 7, 2015
Entercom Denver is a fast paced company in the Radio industry. Crazy fun talent to work with, always something going on. Management is supportive and open to new ideas.
Pros
Pool table, guest in house concerts, chances to see concerts throughout the city
Cons
401K match is terrible
found on-air position fun and exciting
on-air personality (Former Employee) –  Madison, WisconsinAugust 12, 2015
Looked over music log for airshift and organized CDs based on playlist. Able to display personality. Also, I got paid to run a weekly countdown show.
Pros
Pursuing my passion for music and radio.
Cons
Sometimes the overnight hours could be challenging.
My easiest job in radio.
PT. Board Operator, WAXY (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 7, 2015
The company is a great place to work for. It build myself another name besides of me just working at the former company Clear Channel now iHeartMedia to my experience.
Pros
Working the overnight hours. Less people.
Cons
The distance of job in Miami.
Wilks
Kansas City Limits (Director), Promotions (Current Employee) –  Kansas CityDecember 26, 2012
I learned the proper way & the not so proper to do things. I had the chance to work with some great people and some not so great people, but you find that in every gig. It is also how you learn more about yourself and how you want to treat people.
good work environment
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2014
great people to work for
perks such as taking clients to various sporting events such as Oakland A's, Raiders and San Jose Sharks games
sales atmosphere with experienced sellers who were willing to help younger account executives
I haven't worked there in 8 years. I have no idea what it's like anymore.
Board Operator (Former Employee) –  Westwood, KSJuly 28, 2014
It was a fun work environment 8 years ago. The pay was bad but there were other perks like free concerts. Still, I couldn't really comment on how it is now.
Pros
free concerts! flexibility!
Cons
awful pay
lots of fun exclusive events you can attend
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 28, 2015
Entercom is a great place to gain experience and work hard. if you want to learn as much as possible, this is the place to go. although the environment is fun, advancement and compensation is extremely slow.
Productive workplace with clear goals.
Technical Producer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 13, 2013
Responsibilities include maintaining program/commercial log, scheduling recordings, working with show hosts, and handling listener calls.
Pros
most job-related activities are extremely self-regulated.