San Francisco based Environmental Building Strategies is seeking a Building Commissioning Engineer to assist in building our high performance building and energy consulting practices. This professional will work as part of our Engineering team which delivers building commissioning, retro-commissioning, facilities audits, energy efficiency retrofit consulting & turnkey services, as well as daylight, energy and CFD modeling to our clients. The professional will be responsible for the execution of the commissioning process during construction and/or during retrofits of existing buildings. Tasks will include, but not be limited to, design reviews, facilitation of BOD/OPR integration, providing a high level of service to the team regarding our QA process, reviews of equipment installation (both existing and new construction), verifying system-level sequences of operations, submittal review, MEP coordination oversight, staff systems training and overseeing component & systems startup and functional testing. The successful candidate must demonstrate experience and ability to interface with owner type clients, architects, contractors and service vendors, as well as work seamlessly on project teams, be adaptable, and manage multiple projects concurrently.
EBS is a rapidly growing high performance building consultancy that offers a wide array real estate and building services to the California market. We are consultants, architects, engineers, and sustainability consultants that assess buildings, identify opportunity areas and develop strategies to meet our client's goals. By taking an integrated approach to consulting and project management, we collaborate with everyone throughout the design and construction process to provide the most financially effective and environmentally responsible solutions for our clients. The most unique aspect of EBS -- and quite possibly the most important -- is that we are a tight-knit, culture driven group possessing a mutual passion for sustainability; our office environment emphasizes a highly passionate 'get it done/figure it out' mentality, life/work balance, continuing education, resource sharing, and collaboration.
- Perform commissioning activities on HVAC, lighting, and other building systems, including renewable energy, irrigation, and water reuse systems
- Participate cohesively in and contribute to a broad range of commissioning and high performance building consulting projects
- Perform mechanical/ electrical design reviews as part of commissioning and certification services.
- Perform analyses of new and existing building performance using a combination of on-site audits and software tools
- Understand the design concept and intent by reviewing mechanical construction documentation, including drawings and scheduled equipment
- Provide recommendations and feedback regarding design, equipment selection, test and balance requirements, maintain-ability and potential enhancements
- Assess the capability of control scope and documentation to achieve the mechanical design intent
- Develop commissioning checklists for installation verification and functional performance testing of equipment and integrated systems
- Interface with design and construction team members to ensure commissioning activities are incorporated, and commissioning issues are addressed; effectively filtering and managing documentation is a key element of the commissioning process
- Possess a strong ability to understand systems controls and how those controls integrate within other scopes of our business such as M&V and MBCx
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Develop project specific commissioning schedule and plans
- Perform project specific static, start-up, and test-adjust-balance field work
- Conduct commissioning coordination meetings as needed with project management, control, balance, and startup representatives
- Maintain, track and operate test equipment
- Write site specific service and maintenance procedures
- Develop a project specific training agenda
- Provide mechanical systems training to assigned mechanics and/or owners representatives
- Return complete and legible commissioning documentation to the Director of Engineering and the client for review
- Track noted commissioning issues in log form until resolved and closed
- Manage the entire project management process through the use of EBS' professional services automation and CRM systems
- Manage Project Coordinator resource allocation to achieve maximum project billing efficiency
- Meet monthly billing targets as set by the Director of Projects
- Complete on-time commissioning projects within contracted project budgets.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of EBS' internal systems including the integration of all Commissioning processes with EBS' technology solutions
- Provide as needed budgets for Commissioning projects as requested by our clients
- Provide operational and sales support to the development of new business opportunities and be integral in the successful delivery of these projects including developing new commissioning offerings or services as needed, and participating in the sales and proposal writing process
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related engineering field
- At least 5 years of experience in mechanical/electrical engineering of building systems, commissioning, design and/or operations & maintenance, and operating test equipment
- Commissioning industry certifications
- Previous building commissioning experience as defined by ASHRAE Guideline 0
- Formal HVAC training/education.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, presentation, and written communications skills
- Good descriptive writing skills and the ability to articulate to a non-technical client the essence of the technical requirements that are being enforced
- Demonstrated skills in delivering excellent customer/client service and project management.
- Strong technical background in commercial/institutional building systems and operations
- Substantial experience completing building energy efficiency projects
- Hands-on experience in testing, start-up and troubleshooting of HVAC systems, including but not limited to cooling towers, chillers, packaged roof top units, ERUs, DOAS, AHUs, VRFs, VFDs, for hospitals, schools, commercial and institutional type buildings
- Strong understanding of relevant technical standards and industry groups: CCC, BCA, ASHRAE, ASME, SMACNA, IBC, CALGreen, LEED, etc
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Strong knowledge of control systems
- Moderate understanding of electrical and fire/life safety systems
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, Outlook
- Ability to read and understand construction documents (mechanical drawings, specifications, etc.).
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Physical ability to walk jobsites and partake in Cx activities on a construction site.
- Previous LEED® and/or sustainable design project experience
- LEED® AP credential
- Licensed P.E. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or demonstrated progress towards achieving P.E.
- CEM or CEA Certification
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics CRM, SharePoint and Project Management Software
Please click "Apply" link on this page, attach your resume, and paste the text of your cover letter in the message field. In your cover letter, please explain what the triple bottom line means to you and why you think you would be a great fit for our company. Candidates that fail to submit a cover letter will not be considered for this position.
EBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Indeed - 10 months ago