Environmental Protection Agency Employee Reviews

Epa
Tier 2 Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2018
Working there was a blast from the staff to the co workers. I applied for another job that offered me a clearance so i went for it. If i could go back i would.
I have reviewed my summary
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2018
You started the day running. Very fast-paced because all work was screened over and over and had to be error free. There was no time to socialze. However it made your day. I learned what being an asset to an agency really meant and was all about. Management was like family, they always were there to assist you in all ways possible. Of course the agency was very diverse. Your attention to detail was always a challenge but rewarding in itself. It kept you on your toes. No pain no gain. When the day was over you felt a sense of pride, knowing that you had performed a task well-done.
Pros
Working for a Agency that help monitor the environment and that was key to me.
Cons
Everything had to be monitored.
Professional Environment
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2018
I've worked as a secretary and the work load was to answer incoming calls for the deputy director and secretary of the director. It was a team environment, the people were nice and I've enjoyed my job.
Pros
Friendly environment, different cultural envents
Cons
No cons
HR is bad
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 31, 2018
working in HR is like working in a factory production job. You are expected to work like a mule. Processes and procedures are for ever changing and every lead has a different answer for the same question.
EPA has a poor culture
Administrative Officer & Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2018
Life at the EPA was trife with personnel with no work ethic and zero sense of urgency. I didnt recieve any time of performance training or counseling. All this said not a pleasant place to work
Pros
downtown location
Cons
to many to lisy
Challenging
Director Radiation Protection Office BMC (Former Employee) –  BosotnJanuary 29, 2018
This was an organization I volunteered for and should not be included in any job review. I am no longer involved with this activity. I have moved on to other programs
Poor Management, advancement favortism, but good benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2018
Poor Management and lack of leadership, advancement is based on favoritism and not merit or work performance or potential, but good benefits with Dental and Health care
Work hard, but with benefits
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2018
can be a lot of work, but the benefits are worth it. Very nice people to work with in terms of teamwork and general personality. Opportunities for career advancement are a plus.
Slow paced - unproductive - no opportunity for advancement
Toxicological Investigator (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAJanuary 19, 2018
I was paid well as a contractor but unable to advance my career. The Environmental Protection Agency was very slow paced and is more suitable as a final destination before retirement.
Pros
Paid well
Cons
Unproductive
Good for an internship
Pathways Intern (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 3, 2018
I spent a lot of time at a computer working on a computer model. I had little experience using a command prompt and coding. The mentors were good at providing guidance so I could figure out things on my own compared to them telling me everything. Speed really depended on what was going on. To the end it got faced paced with trying to complete a project for an American Fisheries Society meeting.
Pros
Good mentorship
Cons
Temporary
Excellent Place to work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJanuary 2, 2018
My typical day at work involved Oracle database development using PL/SQL for half a day and ColdFusion and linking Oracle on the websites the other half of the day.

I learned JQuery and used it to make major changes to the ColdFusion websites.

The hardest part of this job was the difficult Air Now database. It contained a lot of data points and was very large.

Management was pretty good. They tried to help each employee understand what was needed and when expected.
Pros
Good learning environment.
Cons
Lack of training time.
The most caustic environment (no pun intended) I have ever been a party to.
Senior Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL and Washington, DCDecember 26, 2017
I have nothing positive to say about this agency. The environmental zealots who run (or ran) the place should not be allowed in public service anywhere. Unless you are one of them, you are the enemy. The time has come for this agency to be closed, and anything useful it does (which is quite little) should be merged into the Department of the Interior, Department of Transportation, and/or Department of Energy. Nothing of it should remain.
Pros
Glad to have this place in my rear view mirror.
Cons
Everything about this place.
slow and semi boring
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2017
I worked there as an unpaid intern as an assistant to a manager. Work days were easy and work was minimal. Manager was great however he recently retired. Would I work there again? Maybe.
Excellent Agency
Environmental Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 9, 2017
The Environmental Protection Agency is a government agency that focuses specifically on regulating environmental laws and regulations.

The Environmental Protection Agency is a wonderful place to work.
Great people friendly environment
Personal Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2017
I found supporting the user's at US EPA a pleasure and the support team was great to work with as well.
Management was very family friendly. I had access to any level of support needed to support users. I was give the opportunity to support cloud-based service OneDrive and OneNote.
Pros
Cons
Older Building
Excellent
Senior Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2017
Working for the federal government in any capacity provides excellent job security. The benefits and retirement programs are excellent. Training opportunities were abundant and I was received several merit-based awards and experienced progressive promotions, responsibilities and grade and salary increases.
Great work!
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2017
I gained valuable work experience at the EPA through an internship I had. The people there where very friendly and supportive. They where able to give me clear understanding on each task I was given.
Prime location
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2017
Region 3 is located downtown, Center City Philadelphia. Flexible work hours or you can work 4 days for 10 hours as your 40 hour work week. The only negative is the commute in the city if you coming from New Jersey, but the agency do provide a travel subsidy.
Balanced work environment
Quality Assurance Lead/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 25, 2017
EPA provided a balanced work environment that allowed us to finish our workload within a 40 hour work week.

The team consisted of 3 developers, 1 database administrator, 1 quality assurance engineer, and a business analyst.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAOctober 17, 2017
Responsible meaningful work...great co-workers...too many petty self-serving politically-motivated career senior managers. Too much work. No succession planning.
Pros
Co-workers. Benefits.
Cons
Too much work. No succession planning.